Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Serf
May 5, 2011

this might actually fit better here

https://twitter.com/JustKiyan/status/1438099802558844930?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

when i asked for sources on that stuff i got links to a couple of instances of developers modifying their games which apparently means all of it is true lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

Antonymous posted:

I wanna see the chinese cause 'no content depicting democracy' makes no sense since China considers itself a democracy and writes the word democracy on all their propaganda

yeah this got me too. china is at least as much a democracy as western nations, why would they move to ban depiction of the system they use?

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/china_takes/status/1439921497422839808

Serf
May 5, 2011

pulling out of afghanistan already makes him the best president of my lifetime. destroying nato would probably make him the best of all time lmao

Serf
May 5, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I was going to compare Nazis to some kind of objectionable animal, but Nazis ruined all the good animal comparisons.

So Nazis are like penguins. They look stupid and taste like poo poo.

drat, penguins taste bad? that sucks

Serf
May 5, 2011

i remember being a kid and thinking that nuclear power like fueled things with radiation somehow and being disappointed when we went to the local nuclear plant on a field trip and they explained that it was just electricity

Serf
May 5, 2011

Agrajag posted:

wtf is a thorium reactor and why is it significant?

it means china did a shitload of loops around un'goro and got to exalted with the thorium brotherhood, something no other world power is willing to do

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/zebulgar/status/1441152149979746309

Serf
May 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I mean nike does use forced labor, it's just in bangladesh now

let's be real here, all labor under capitalism is forced labor

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1455729206399315969

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1455909280217923593

i mean sure but xi didnt go to the climate summit so does that really count as leadership

lol i clicked through to see if there was more and right after this the guy launches into an unhinged rant about how climate change is overblown and everything will be fine actually guys

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have no idea. It's not even something I said, which was the last time I got a red text.

i thought it was another reference to beria

Serf
May 5, 2011

i read the article and it genuinely seems like this is a positive thing and not some sneaky way of "affirming" someone's gender as assigned at birth. pretty impressive

Serf
May 5, 2011

an extreme amount of insane nothing happens in that clip

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1461299843566120966?s=20

Serf
May 5, 2011

it has been very funny to see "anarchists" online saying there's no way to know whether every picture of peng shuai has men with guns just out of frame, based on the conjecture of "experts"

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao i asked my dad, an msnbc-poisoned lib, what his take on the peng shuai situation is and his response was "35 is a little old for a tennis player"

Serf
May 5, 2011

i pointed out that serena williams is 40 and his response was, and this is his exact wording "but she's the goat." 70 year old man. this is what espn has done to people

anyways i guess my point is that if even a guy who watches 4 hours of network lib television a night doesn't care about peng shuai i don't think they're gonna be able to make it into a thing

Serf
May 5, 2011

Agrajag posted:

sounds like your dad is saying internally

who the gently caress is this loser and why is he asking me about rando tennis players? what a loser

they were doing a story about it on msnbc as we were talking, so i asked. he knows who she is, the news has been running the story once a day

Serf
May 5, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU-ITKrCr0I

I still get a good laugh out of the town hall where a bunch of British people kept on pressing Corbyn about why he wouldn't annihilate millions of people with a nuclear bomb. The lady at the end of the clip calls them out.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/MENA_Conflict/status/1467942503039094793?s=20

"west taiwan" is a new one to me lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

I love these shock images of screaming kids like your average 5 year old in the states doesn't lose their loving poo poo when flu shot season rolls around

ah but you see its not mandatory in the free world, so your child is free to die of preventable disease just so you don't have to hear them cry for an hour

Serf
May 5, 2011

A German game developer labels Chinese mainland as 'West Taiwan', draws backlash from netizens

i keep seeing "west taiwan" thrown around and its the most pathetic kind of cope

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

America being defeated in a naval operation against China would be the last nail in the coffin for American hegemony. Once you've lost the impression of invulnerability it's gone forever. America can lose in Iraq, lose in Afghanistan, but as long as we can insist to have a powerful navy we remain the leading world power.

and then the nukes fly

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lady Militant posted:

no they don't, that's why this is going nowhere because the only thing more embarrassing than losing a fleet would be our admittance that it would make no sense to go nuclear over ships lost in the pacific on the other side of the planet.

i wouldn't underestimate the deep, psychotic superiority complex that grips the american political elite. being a dying empire with weapons of mass destruction will lead to millions, if not billions of lmaos

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A United States in decline would still have a sphere of influence to dominate, and that all goes away if you have a big sad and push the button.

i think this assumes a lot on the part of rational actors. i'm not saying its a 100% certainty, but i imagine that seeing the american navy lose ships to china would trigger truly hilarious backlash that could quickly cascade out of control. there is a lot of psychic energy bound up in being the biggest baddest guy on the planet and when that dam breaks i'd be heading for a bunker

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Your average American would probably demand that we bring down the temple, but America's ruling class is an internationally connected bourgeois. They will be willing to accept a reduced role on the world stage if it means keeping the capital flows going, even if the public craves blood.

i'll bet on nuclear hellfire mostly because i would prefer death to the continuance of this cycle. which i guess between the two of us makes me the optimist lmao

Serf
May 5, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

if someone is giving you odds, always bet against global annihilation, there's no downside.

no

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They are members of our government right now saying that nuclear first strike should be an option in case ukraine or taiwan get invaded.

remember when jeremy corbyn got obliterated by a crowd of fat, red-faced drooling morons for saying he would not fire the nukes? the people crave death

Serf
May 5, 2011

Torpor posted:

after the last few decades of world events why would any sane country give up or fail to maintain their nuclear stockpile? Corbin can be criticized not because he felt deeply that were he in a position to do so, he wouldn’t fire the missiles, but because he told the world that he wouldn’t, which defeats the entire point of having nuclear missiles. the entire point of a doomsday device is lost if you tell everyone before hand you won’t use it.

"sane country"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Torpor posted:

nobody likes it but it’s true! you know it is

i mean i remember reading stories about how some pizza guy just wandered into a nuclear launch facility because someone ordered pizza and propped the door open for him. also a story about the air force just leaving a pallet of nuclear-tipped rockets on a runway for weeks without noticing it. as much as i'd bet on nuclear war, i'd also bet it is very stupid

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao apparently the justification for this is that russia is doing some tricky wording and trolling people

Serf
May 5, 2011

breaking news: people vote for and support people who promise them good things, film at 11

Serf
May 5, 2011

i like anarchists and think they make some good points, but not good enough to make me reconsider communism

Serf
May 5, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

China *is* authoritarian, with good and bad parts of that. It's not some crazy take or "leaning hard" on an "angle" to say China is authoritarian and has censorship.

lmao "authoritarian"

Serf
May 5, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Cutting out the part where I explicitly clarify that I'm not calling China monstrous for being authoritarian, then claiming I'm calling China monstrous for being authoritarian, isn't a very good-faith argument.

See above

if authoritarian applies to every single state then its not particularly useful unless you're an anarchist

Serf
May 5, 2011

Palladium posted:

but did you heard kim jong-un killed his citizens who watched a blatantly anti-capitalist netflix show

i mean they also banned laughter and smiling, right? that's a real thing that happened

Serf
May 5, 2011

Orange DeviI posted:

This is the Xiaofeng schooling complex in Xinjiang province. Literally an ugly loving prison. And you guys support this ‘architecture’?

drat i wish i were there

Serf
May 5, 2011

the point is that every state is "authoritarian" and the question is about who exercises that authority and who do they represent? like we have an example of this just above with the example of how the cpc is exercising their authority to lower rents for people. they see housing not as a vehicle for speculation but as a necessity, which serves the interest of workers. whereas here in america such an exercise of authority would be unthinkable, and instead our political system empowers the people who want to raise rents and oppress the homeless.

is china perfect? absolutely not. but they're a drat sight better than my country, and they seem to be trying to get even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

c-spam is the only place on the forums where you can say that china isn't the most evilest empire to ever exist without getting jumped on. don't bother anywhere else