Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Croc posted:

He comes across as someone who will always just say what you want to hear.

He told Brodie that he could get him into NJPW (or, failing that, NXT). He 100% only says those things to get people to stop asking for their release or get them to stop being angry. It's incredibly transparent. I think it was even Brodie or Chris that said something along the lines of "If he wanted me in NXT, I'd be in there."

Pylons fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

And the Good Brothers just signed a new one, in 2020 lmfao

It was probably either that or indie wrestling.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

mkay0 posted:

I was not surprised they were let go, because they signed a non-guaranteed deal for substantially more than their market value just to keep AEW from getting them

And they got released where AEW wasn't in a position to pick them up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Right, that's what I mean. I don't think AEW is in a position to give them a reasonable offer (setting aside their heat with management), so releasing them was a no-brainer for WWE. They don't have the overpaid talent on their budget, and AEW still doesn't pick them up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Explaining BTE bits to someone is right up there with telling someone about a dream or an improv show as things that are never interesting to the person hearing about it.

Dreams can be interesting or fun to listen to, with the caveat that you have to record that dream right when you wake up from it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I thought it was funny how Seth was trying to gouge Rey's eye out with the end of a kendo stick and a chair leg.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

I didn’t see the match so I have to ask: did Seth at any point look at his hands and think ”is this how violent I have become?” or was he too busy vomiting

He did that after the vomit IIRC. While the Performance Crowd was totally not being told to boo him loudly.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tonfa posted:

Yeah I'm sure the stars currently getting TV time like *checks notes* Jake Hager and 5 are at a higher level than any woman could hope to be

Jake Hager sucks, but 5 is seriously impressive.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

the idea that you have to put the best workers on tv above everything else is so weird and i don't know why that's his hangup. orange cassidy got hella over by, essentially, not wrestling. becky lynch was arguably the biggest star wwe regularly had on network tv and she was nowhere near the best worker in the company, man or woman. you have a bunch of people being given regular tv time who are not as good as fenix.

If OC wasn't a good worker they'd have just kept doing comedy spots with him where he'd show up under the ring or in a backstage segment.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

How did her 10 second match the other week do in the ratings? They may have decided against that because it didn't do well.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The problem is that, with the exception of Britt, they've done all that. They could probably run back ABADON, especially since that was on Dark, but it's too soon to run back most of those, and I feel like they're going to bring in a big name for her to wrestle at All Out for a one off.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yukaichiban posted:

Guy says 24 year old buying 15 year olds panties isn't weird. Uses excuse that they aren't old men so it's not creepy.

How you guys aren't seeing the problem here is baffling. Thought this place was better than that.

He said it was weird (or at least conceded that you can call it a little weird).

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I was listening to the Post Puroresu podcast today & WH Park was mad disrespectful to Kenoh & now I'm mad. Imagine not liking a wrestler who just kicks all the time???

But enough about Luchasaurus

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

What the actual f is happening, is this the stupidest board invasion in history

Retribution is coming from inside the board

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Oh gently caress, is this with Lance interviewing him?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Absolutely dying at this segment on the TIME most influential person of the 20th century with Hitler, Jesus, and Ric Flair.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm irrationally angry about this.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jack Evans has even been doing an inquisitorial thing so it works.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jericho is so drunk right now.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hey, we're not sure if it was a shoot hand-raise.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gedo is really lucky he was able to smuggle everyone into the country.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I Before E posted:

Apparently in an interview Tony Khan has called the decision to have the Dangerous Tekkers/Golden Aces match where Tanahashi got like 200 Dragon Screws in a row on the same show as the Evil/Naito match a "head-scratcher", from what I understand because the mixed reaction to the latter match overshadowed the former, more well-received storyline. It makes sense he'd have that reaction, given how Dynamite is usually booked to have a hot angle on last regardless of if it's for the world title, but it's been a controversial comment in this thread.

I think Tony also really tries to avoid having a show with a heel ending. The only one I can think of is All Out 2019.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

This probably ain't the place to have this conversation but there's a lot of ironic-left podcasts and media that drop slurs and fall back on "Well we're ironically doing it to make fun of the right"

The first result I found typing in "Cumtown Antisemitism" was some twitter callouts about them laughing at slurs in 2019 and a YouTube video highlight about "Chinese Jews lol" complete with really racist chinese accents

So yeah, maybe don't do ironic racism, you aren't owning the right by saying the same things actual racists say

That's exactly why Paradox LPs in the subforum had to start banning "ironic" racism/sexism.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mob posted:

And it's not just the dipshit chuds, there's tons of people in the bigger cities who can't be bothered to boil water and cook so they spend $30 to have a gig worker deliver a $9 sandwich three times a day.

I mean they could also just absolutely not have time to cook.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

The new AEW Unrestricted with Amanda Huber is a tough listen but it’s very very good.

I could absolutely hear the Orange Cassidy line in that story in his voice.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Will Hobbs on Talk is Jericho is must listen, gotta rewatch Jericho vs Juvi and see if I can spot Will trying to touch Jericho and getting yelled at.

It's really interesting how much of a role and how much say Britt has backstage.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've long felt part of the problem is that wrestling fans act embarrassed about liking wrestling, so of course nobody is going to get into it when the enthusiasts of it don't even seem to like it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think what was planned for Sammy has happened yet. We'll see what Black Taurus does if it was a good idea for Sammy to refuse or not.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I can't believe he wasn't the one who pitched the exploding barbed wire deathmatch.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1365052111361249280

So Tony almost certainly won Best Booker then.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think you could also say something about the voting period having a good, definitive end to Mox's reign whereas Go was heading into a match/outcome that people were really sour on.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

almost certainly best booker and promoter at minimum

Best Weekly Show too.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Seams posted:

I don’t follow Lucha at all but if CMLL was worse than WWE in 2020 it must be absolutely rancid and I want to know why and how

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1365111635673776129

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The funny thing to me about Maki Itoh is wrestling fans going "nah, this doesn't work" when loving v-tubers are way more popular than wrestling right now.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Laughing my rear end off at the idea of Dark Order matches on AEW Dark being pushed up because Brodie Lee Jr. is getting tired and wants to go home.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Britt Baker episode of Oral Sessions is very good. Some interesting info in there like how long the Lights Out match has been in the works, how she learned to find the camera during these no-crowd shows, some stuff we've heard about the backstage at AEW already (but that's always nice to keep hearing) who reached out to her after the match. Judge Jeff Jones is apparently good friends with Adam Cole.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've been seeing people trying to claim Tay Conti as a PC success story because "whatever she's learning at AEW was built on 4 years at the PC"

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

She's literally learned to walk again after four years of the PC.

Exact same people were like "wow she's still bad!" a few months ago too.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

She was god awful in NXT and she was pretty green when she joined AEW, let's not re-write history here. Now that she's got to be Tay, she's gotten to lean into her strengths. She's a legitimate black belt, she got to use her background to drag Nyla around like a rag doll without making Nyle looking weak. She might've still been a dear in headlights months ago, but AEW tries to make sure as many people look credible as possible.

I don't disagree, she was still pretty rough (though you could definitely see her potential outside of NXT/WWE in the tag tournament) it's just funny how now they can't even deny that she's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Lance's mindset on wanting his wrestling to be logically consistent is trapped in dinosaur times though. Who had all the buzz coming out of that match? Was it Thunder Rosa? Is Thunder Rosa who AEW fans were talking about? Is it Thunder Rosa who obviously got the bigger rub from the match? No, it was Britt Baker, any idiot could see that after spending ten minutes looking at reactions. AEW the company putting their energy and tv time and money behind the person who got the bigger response from the audience after the match is ENTIRELY logically consistent.

The argument that it makes wins and losses not matter is nonsense. Does UFC put big money and content behind every person who wins a match, or even wins a championship? Has any fight promotion ever worked that way? Of course not, and Lance KNOWS that. He thinks that good wrestling booking means that the show's storylines exist in completely vacuum-sealed bottle and that is NOT good wrestling booking.

Alvarez was 100% right to bring up Hell In The Cell. Who remembers what the Undertaker did the night after the cell match? Nobody. How did the fans react to Foley coming back the next night and doing nothing important after a star-making performance that primed millions of people for a babyface turn? Negatively. Which is why a couple weeks later came the only thing anyone remembers about the fallout of Hell In The Cell, the Foley Interviews that launched his face turn.

Is Lance really going to sit there and tell me that was better booking? To have Foley do nothing because he lost and have nobody care about what the guy who won did, just because it "makes sense," that the winner do a thing and the loser not because THAT is what makes wins and losses matter? Get the gently caress out of here. The good booking was when the company capitalized on what the fans came out of the match wanting to see, and the fact that they WAITED in favor of "logic," was the bad booking.

This is where I'm at. Everyone after that match was wondering what was next for Britt because that was the most interesting story coming out of it. The only way it would've made sense for Britt to win that feud was if they weren't allowed to use Thunder Rosa anymore, but they still can, so having Britt win what was essentially a feud where Thunder Rosa would have to leave the promotion if she lost would've been stupid and buried Rosa for no real reason. Britt is an ideal heel because she can lose every feud she's part of and still keep her heat. There's no reason to complain about that.