Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

bawfuls posted:

Oh maybe the differences is I don't care at all about raising my mmr. I've never reset it and my win rate seems right around 50% so it is accurate enough. (524 matches over the last 12 months with a 50.57% win rate. In the past 60 games it is exactly 50%)

When I play ranked it's largely because that's where Role Queue is, which makes drafting much smoother in my experience. Before Role Queue, at least a quarter of my games would have obvious role conflict/disorder, like two people picking and bickering over mid, or only one support, etc.

Ranked also seems to have somewhat better odds of people taking team play seriously (i.e. communication & coordination) playing heroes they know well, etc.

I play unranked either when I want to practice a new hero (usually in Turbo so I can get more games in quicker) or because we have 4 friends in party and thus can't queue ranked. In the latter scenario we will often pick less familiar heroes or weird builds to dick around.

I quite dota2 in 2017 after clocking over 4k hours, almost playing exclusively unranked before I quit due to the consistently dumb drafts and toxicity.

I startede playing again in September when we went in to lockdown here in aus, and have exclusively played ranked role queue, and its a completely different environment to how I remember dota being years ago.

I just try to have fun every game regardless of win/lose, and id say 90% of the people I run into are pretty chill, even on the enemy team, and the toxicity has been replaced by everyone having some good old banter in all chat and laughing together. They're the odd dickhead every now and then, but the game is so much more enjoyable for me this time around.

Also, after somewhere near 5k games, my wins and losses in ranked are only like 2 games apart. 50% win rate is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I've played like 2 invoker games in 5k hours, but the reason you don't see dragon lance is because he wants other items more.

Aghs, travels, orchid, bkb, euls, force and blink would all do more for him 99% of the time.

Hes a right clicker who doesn't really buy right clicker items, he gets his damage from exort, alacrity and intelligence items.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Zeus is a hero that needs to get ahead and stay ahead imo. Mid or support, you need to be ahead of the enemy in the same role to be effective.

Having your supports rotate mid to gank, or rotating mid as a support when the enemy mid is low enough for your burst to help your mid get the kill are pretty important early on. Zeus has giant mana issues early, and positioning is super important, which is why aether is a great pick up so you can nuke from safer distances. It gives you a larger pool, good regen and spell range.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I've never played marci myself, but prior to this patch, the successful core marcis were all mids and offlaners who go get kills at 6, and then look for kills everytime the ult is off cooldown (which i think is every 60-70 seconds). You don't want to go looking for team fights, just pick offs, unless your team has really good team fight heroes. Marci has good mobility to gank and get out, though the new pounce change will no doubt have an impact on doing this.

Shes not a hit creeps hero at all unless you go bf or maelstrom, and if your doing that your getting your armlet and/or bkb timing a little too late.

Im a little curious on your build if you find her squishy. Her lifesteal is pretty good, and armlet and bkb help your survivability a tonne.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I played my first game this weekend since that aghanims battle pass event ended.

Within about 10 minutes, both teams were flaming their own carries in all chat. We had an antimage who over VoIP told us he was being coached by his professional friend (I'm Aussie, this am was Aussie, I doubt ana was his coach), and that he knew what he was doing.

The other team had a terror blade who abandoned lane after the 3rd creepwave, giving the night stalker I was supporting complete freefarm. I blocked all his jungle camps and still never saw him on the map.

Dotas always a wild ride.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

causticBeet posted:

drat if only there were some way that ur pos3 could stop the enemy pos5 from snowballing super hard and getting a really early blink dagger

I think you misread him.

He as the pos3 has the blink, initiates, then gets all shamans spells cast on him getting trapped inside the wards.

The easiest solution as already said is a force staff.

Solution 2 is hit one ward twice and leave.

Solution 3 is initiate on the shaman as he's more than likely the most dangerous hero on the enemy at the start of every fight. Dude has like 7 seconds of disables that you can't purge.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
ET is a lot of fun in lane with lots of kill potential when paired with the right carry or off laner. Just walk your spirit through the closest jungle camp to your lane, then through the creep wave before calling it back, then just right click the nearest enemy without feeding. And use the bonus damage to deny creeps.

Hes probably the easiest of any of the heroes that require any micro.

I've been on meepo for my ahc for like 6 years at this point without even attempting him once. gently caress that.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Force staff and ghost sceptre are the go to survival items for after hooking and using your cogs. Depending on which core your targeting, bkb can be super valuable as your 2nd or 3rd item after boots.

Clock aims to lockdown an enemy long enough for your team to follow up for the kill, his solo kill potentially can drop off real quick against a lot of lineups in my experience.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

sugar free jazz posted:

sabre blink agh was a topson thing

it may have been sabre agh blink idk but those were the big things and its usefulness is based on getting it quick, getting levels, and blowing up idiots with trees

People mimicking topson in crusader is hilarious and frustrating depending on if they're on your team or not.

I vsed two mid omnis very recently due to topson playing it and they both got dumpstered by my mid giving my team some easy wins

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Unless you're trying to do cavern crawl, don't pick Lion. You would think a hero with a stun and a hex would always be at least decent but it's not really the case.

Lion is super situational these days. He's an alternative to shaman, but shaman gives you wave clear and massive building damage on top of all the disables. With lion, you blow up one hero to start a team fight then flee hoping your team can handle the rest 4v4, which doesn't really give your team any advantage for the next 10~ seconds while your shits on cooldown.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
All I can think of is that you have a different hero selected to the one calling out the buyback status in the chat.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
As its currently a 30% reduction, they could just make it a flat number rather than a percentage and then it no longer scales ridiculously into the late game.

Also I never get mvp in my games. I've now got mvp in 4 of my last 5 games purely playing pos 4 or 5. I don't know what I'm doing different.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

So it would be bootleg Crimson Guard?

e:fb

Yea I guess but for all damage types.

Building it from pipe and crimson doesn't sound like a terrible idea. Remove the vlads aura from it.

That does turn it from a 4k gold item to a 7k gold item though.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Speaking of wand, when shouldn't you buy it besides going mid and likely having a bottle.

It's such a good item, I play roles 3-5 and always have one. I don't ditch it until I'm basically 5 slotted and need the 5/6th slots for wards, smokes or dust.

I guess it depends on your lane match up and play style, and not needed if things are more passive.

How detrimental is having a wand to your item timings I guess is the question. Slowing a bf or Midas is not good I get, but is 2 minutes that awful in other cases?

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Oodles posted:

What’s the counter? Just disable him as much as you can?

The shard is so powerful because it has a 100% proc chance on all targeted spells. So everytime lion or rubick or shaman cast a spell on him, he shits out aoe damage and heals himself.

Aoe stuns and slows are your best form of lockdown, so lina, hood and snapfire are good for lockdown.

As mentioned, break is really good too, so silver edge carriers will help, hood ult is good too.

His shard only has an 18% proc chance other wise. It's the 100% proc on targeted spells that kills your team and heals him to full

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Grim definitely benefits from team coordination, especially regarding the stun and his ultimate. Without full coordination, you can make his stun work if the guy your buffing has his own stun though, like axe or slardar as their own stun can sometimes be enough time for yours to trigger very closely to when theirs wears off if you don't buff them before the blink.

I think the best target to buff in pubs is night stalker though, as he wants to run at dudes anyway, and lacks his own stun.

The ult gets better the more targeted spells your team has, so the draft can make you feel useless beyond your own double silence sometimes. Not sure how bad it would be for your lanes, but grim and lion/shaman support combo for team fights sounds nasty.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
He streamed like a week or two ago, which is why carry lina is now so popular.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Treant and undying nerfs :(

If undying can still one shot range creeps with the decay talent it might not be so bad.

The loss of bonus regen on natures guise is really gonna hurt treant imo. 40% was huge.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I think I've only had muerta on my team twice, once a carry, once as pos 4.

Both times i was undying in the lane with her, and neither enemy lane could deal with tomb stone particularly well. The fear from deadshot combos really well with tombstone in my experience so far. The carry muerta did feed first blood with bad positioning, but I got a double kill on the 3 and 4 (axe and skywrath), and we just snowballed from there.

The 2nd game with the pos 4, we had a
Qop mid who got demolished by invoker, who built an orchid and used it to keep killing qop all game because she refused to buy a euls or bkb until her 5th item. After me and muerta dominated their safe lane, muerta started farming and became our pos 2 basically, while the pos 5 cm and I just ran around making space for jugg, or trading our qops death's for kills in return.

So a positive experience so far for me regarding muerta.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

idk why no one in my games ever wants to take flicker, it's a free dispel every 4 seconds! nope better keep this dagger of ristul that i've never remembered to activate and also we have brigand's blade available which is the same thing but better

Yea flickers a really good item, but the only number it has attached to it is +35 move speed, which is also really good, but its not damage/attack speed/stats, so no one in pubs takes it.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

I can have the longest losing streak watching my mmr crumble, then pick hoodwink pos4 and all is right in the world.

Copper For Lyfe fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 16, 2023

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
That last one has to be the out posts, but I'm hoping it's secretly the fountain.

What hero is going to have zero int? My picks are ogre or od (ods skills are based on his mana not his intelligence i think)

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
You can def bait an antimage pick with a first pick support Medusa, then pick the rest of your teams heroes with the aim of just barrelling down a lane and taking rax at 15 minutes, and the game is over when am only has 2 items.

That said, I had a support Medusa who maxed split shot before putting a point into mana shield and died 6 times in the first 10 minutes. She also just went with a carry build so eventually came online and became our carry even with all the early deaths. Game was a slog for the first 30 minutes tho.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Superrodan posted:

I do try to go and grab theirs around the 7 minute mark, and it usually helps. I definitely need to stack more as well.

I think the main problem, fundamentally, is that I find that the hero I spam and my own personal laning strategy with it might just be a lot less effective than they once were in the laning phase. I am an AA spammer and I used to buy a LOT of mangoes (used to start with 4) and just incessantly bully the carry or offlaner out of lane with cold feet whenever they try to last hit until they were low enough to kill them. At the same time I'd right click trade with the other support, trying to keep the balance of the XP in the favor of my core. Essentially I sacrificed my health and mana in an attempt to keep them low enough to both annoy the poo poo out of them and to get them to accidentally overcommit. This used to be quite effective. By all accounts it was very, very annoying to play against, and I rode that to Divine 4.

But with the changes to regen counts I don't feel comfortable buying literally all the mangoes anymore, so I've changed up my starting build to something that doesn't quite work as well. And with the stun timing changes, I don't get quite as much damage off if they get stuck as I used to. I guess the real problem is that I'm just having trouble adjusting after playing the same way for essentially three years straight. It seems that now, in most games I get the enemy pretty low but not low enough to finish them off, and I end up completely out of mana and with low health and nothing to show for it, since we didn't get a kill.

Sounds like your in lane to much splitting xp with your core. AA is hero that really benefits his carry by stacking and pulling the wave back. You can play the way you currently are, but he needs to be paired with a carry with kill potential, because if you're not getting those kills, your just going to have the same result your currently having. Carry with a stun and some burst work well, like wk, ck, slark leash will help your stun too etc.

The current pub meta is supports pick first, which means your carry selection might just gently caress up your lane lol

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I single handedly won a team fight around that jungle camp on the water at the bottom of the map. Popped my minefield sign down mid fight, and because of the weird pathing the enemies had to take they all blew themselves up real quick.

It's pretty much compeletely unreliable as a source of damage, but it has a tonne of potential. It's a good 4th/5th item on techies imo. He's universal so the stats are nice too. I start 6 tangoes and 4 branches, and just bully the enemies in lane.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Last night, I had to build some role queue tokens, and got pos 4. So I decided to pick Medusa support as it's better to be the problem rather than to deal with the problem. It's pretty funny to top my team's damage as a support with aghs and phylactery.

I quickly learned that I don't need tangos so I handed them off to my offlane. I kind of felt like I was the offlane hero as I was tanking towers during pushes.

A+ would farm role queue tokens with Medusa again. Tip to any carry laning against a support Mesua: don't stand next to your ranged creep, you're giving free mana away.

Yesterday I played pos 4 techies, against a pos 1 slark, pos 5 Medusa lane. I can't remember what hero my offlaner was though.

I proceeded to kill slark over and over once i hit level 2, and the medusa couldn't do anything about it.

The Medusa also kept leaving lane to make stacks for herself, which I farmed with mines then blocked.

I finished the game with the highest net worth and 2nd highest hero damage. Medusa support owns.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Not screen capping my report, but my win rate was pretty awful this season. Low 40s.

I blame all the riki supports.

Playing pos 4 was my only winrate over 50% (60~%)

I have 60 role queue tokens, gonna spam pos4 for a bit.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
As a current techies spammer, I go to lane with 4 branches, one set of tangoes and a stick.

You hit for I think 58 at level 1 such is pretty good, and you can basically right click from beyond creep agro range.

The goal is to harass with sticky bombs and right clicks, so when you get level 2, your suicide + sticky combo can just straight up kill em, and if not, your half screen right clicks will as they try to flee.

Because your spamming stickies, the enemy more than likely buys a stick and spam there own stuff, so you have plenty of mana till you get your mana boots.

Just pick on the hero who's more likely to die. And kill em every time blast off is off cooldown. They'll eventually tilt and leave lane, then you can do the same to the hero that stays.

Oh and the warp gate is great for going to the other lane for surprise blast off kills.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Weird reasoning considering many other games have free battle passes with limited unlocks every few levels, and only by paying for the premium do you get stuff every level.

They also could just include a cut down battle pass with dota+ to incentivise more people to purchase that.

I'm not complaining because this will just save me money as I'll often buy the battle pass and barely play.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Geight posted:

Arcanas were better when they cost $35 in the store and you could buy them whenever instead of having to spend significantly more to unlock them in the battle pass before they go away forever.

Id forgotten that's how arcanas used to be released.

Hopefully that's what they go back to.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Between Pavise, ghost/decrep, euls and glimmer, pugna can be so evasive and time buying for your team.

They blow all their poo poo trying to kill you while your ward is pinging them for heaps of damage. Hes super strong right now, and he's my go to if techies is banned.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
still winning with techies. tweaked my starting items to incorporate an early wraith band to replace the armor and damage he lost.

1 set tangoes, 2 branches, a circlet, a stick and a sentry. ship out a 2nd set of tangoes and if im pos 4 a 2nd sentry as well from the bounty gold

if lanes spammy, ill upgrade to wand asap (only recipe is needed), then its boots/wraithband into arcanes.

ive also started grabbing a silver crest instead of a pavise. buffing your carries attack speed by 70 is actually insane. Pavise can still be good, but it feels like a lot of the enemy cores ive been facing punch through it instantly, so the 7 armor of the silver crest feels more valuable.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Best thing to do imo is focus on mastering 3-5 heroes so you can stomp your way up to Legend.

Yea I've climbed to archon 5 by picking techies every game for the last 3 months. Gained about 1k mmr from doing so.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Techies escaped more nerfs which is nice. And being able to self detonate the taser is a nice buff to suicide > spam mines during the stun, as you can pre cast taser and not have to rely on getting the timing right.

The witch doctor ult being pure damage is scary. It's got lower numbers, but armor probably had a bigger reduction effect than the new numbers do.

Also seems illusion heroes copped a bit of a battering with a lot of the changes.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I don't understand the time limit on the crt effect and gold tormentors. Half the player base is going to only have a couple days to use them due to rng.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

DNK posted:

gently caress natures prophet right now. Sprout doing damage was a mistake.

I had a game the other day where I went 15/4/16 as pos 5 prophet. Enemy pos 4 was a veno, and I just abused sprout and my range advantage all laning stage to ruin his game. Bought pipe before boots, so when he eventually hit 6 he did zero damage to our team. I was laning with a spectre and I was shocked how well the two heroes laned together.

The buff you get after using teleport is even more broken than sprout. You can mitigate most of sprout with a 100 gold item, you can't do the same when he teleports on you with bonus damage.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I've been destroyed by a witch doctor with maledict trading hits with me as prophet.

I could see hoodwink doing ok in the lane with an early point in scurry for anytime you get sprouted, but hoodwinks wr is super low right now and your team will get mad for picking it. Hood has good attack range too.

I can't think of too many supports that can trade with him tbh.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
The new cm shard is pretty drat good.

You can now frostbite entire jungle camps rather than just the big creep

And its only 50 mana on like a 10 second cooldown.

Hard to use in a team fight, but aoe frostbite is ridiculously strong.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Cant speak for use/w specifically, but there is/was a bug where it would sit on confirming match forever and never actually load in. Havent experienced it for a couple of weeks so it might be fixed now.

Are you queuing all pick? The other draft types are way less popular which will lead to long queues.

I play on aus/sea, exclusively ranked roles, and my queue is rarely over 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Purge and merlini had good welcome to dota type stuff, but those vids are at least half a decade or older at this point and would be extremely dated as a result. BSJ has kinda taken that mantle now for learning dota type stuff.

Purge still uploads lots of gameplay, but I haven't watched any of his stuff in a long time so I have no idea of its still the same type of learning dota content.

Purge's "welcome to dota, you suck" might still be worth checking out even after all this time.

Copper For Lyfe fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 19, 2023