Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Why is he good now??? Tree I mean, not Icefrog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

What's the status of support Medusa after this patch??

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Geight posted:

Pipe/crimson feels so good that if my offlane is indicating that they're going to pick a farming or pickoff core instead of a big aura buyer I'll just pick a beefy 4 and buy the auras myself

I play mostly 3 and 4 and this is all I'm ever looking for.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Superrodan posted:

It seems that now, in most games I get the enemy pretty low but not low enough to finish them off, and I end up completely out of mana and with low health and nothing to show for it, since we didn't get a kill.

Blood grenade can help with this.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

mistermojo posted:

now that Magnus is the hot new carry and every other universal hero is buying weird items I'm going to consider the attribute change a success

Why Magnus?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Last night, I had to build some role queue tokens, and got pos 4. So I decided to pick Medusa support as it's better to be the problem rather than to deal with the problem. It's pretty funny to top my team's damage as a support with aghs and phylactery.

I quickly learned that I don't need tangos so I handed them off to my offlane. I kind of felt like I was the offlane hero as I was tanking towers during pushes.

A+ would farm role queue tokens with Medusa again. Tip to any carry laning against a support Mesua: don't stand next to your ranged creep, you're giving free mana away.

Yea it's my favorite right now, if am is banned it's an auto-pick. Pos 4 I go for more dmg w/ phylactory and scepter + shard, and skill stats instead of split shot. You can bully a lot of melee champs out of the lane w/ snake. If I'm pos 5 I'll go full support and rush mana boots into pavise, force staff, greaves, pipe, etc. Though I tend to mix and match these starts depending on matchups, sometimes I get greaves and force staff every game.

Also every now and then your off lane mate gets dumpstered while you dominate, in these cases I DO get split shot and go for more teamfight dmg like gleipnir.

It's fun for myriad reasons - often the other support will subconsciously give you farm priority b/c dusa has been a carry since forever; you get to level stats instead of a skill like it's Dota 1, lots of fun early game mana items to use like falcon blade, urn, euls; the enemy team often over-estimates your role and tries to counter you to their detriment like a sven buying diffusal; sometimes it triggers your teammates and they get to feel bad when you play well. Dusa support is subversive and good.

Just looked it up and I'm 17-10 since the patch.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 1, 2023

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I don't enjoy when someone gives up immediately bc of a bad lane, I usually just try and encourage them not to tilt + mute whoever they've chosen to blame (deserving or not). It works maybe 20% of the time, sometimes a teammate tries to help but most don't. Occasionally even saying 'don't tilt' when someone is spiraling, and then praising the team if you win a fight, can turn someone around. If that doesn't work I just mute them and try to win.

Like half my games are won or lost bc of the mental battle, and I notice that when my team doesn't tilt after a bad team fight, we're more likely to play a close game. It's only truly grating when you get hit with a series of games of ppl just making GBS threads themselves in chat over and over. Of course this is all alongside almost constant racism and bigotry.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 11, 2023

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

What do you like about AA?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Superrodan posted:

Teamfight affecting and gamechanging ults are the most fun ability to use. His ult is off cooldown fast and can hit from across the map. There's no more fun feeling in all of dota than killing someone who thought they were safe.

For that reason I have always liked "revenge supports". Sure, you're a big strong core and you ganked me and I died... but now you're frozen in place, not regenerating health, and my team is on the way to kill you right back. You just traded a pos5 for your life, I hope you think it was worth it. Other examples of this type of character are WD (stun, maledict, ult and even as you right click me the damage is done) and to a lesser extent veno (ult, gale, and in the time it takes you to kill me you hopefully you can't TP away before my team gets there)

I also enjoy hard countering the regen heroes like necro, alchemist, etc.

My #1 support rn is Silencer, I'm 10-1 only losing bc of an disconnect. I build him 4 or 5 as aura support not for damage, greaves into pavise and solar crest, stick both of those on your hc and cast your spells. Force staff inbetween if I need it for riki cloud or something similar. Aeon disk if you're getting backlined constantly, the ult is still game changing either way.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

What's a good support to play rn?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Mr.Acula posted:

doing another loop of the all hero challenge and im back at Io, its been a while what are some cool dumb build ideas to gently caress around with on him?

I'm playing io too, someone plz tell me how to get good.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

ShimmyGuy posted:

IO feels like the hero that is hands down the most reliant on working well with another player. I can't imagine playing him ever in solo queue.

Once you get into the decent mmr people mostly know what to do, otherwise yea it's a real gamble.

Also acknowledging that a 'decent mmr' doesn't actually exist.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

ILL Machina posted:

Also you can do some cool multi stacking with wisps, but you have to remember to do that on time and not fail at it and not get your carry killed by loving off and they have to take the camp before the opp steals it but still.

This is what I'm talking about, the Io tips. Tbh leaving lane to stack, deward, bounty, etc can all get your hc killed if they're a scrub.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Gawr Gooner posted:

I don't know if I have posted in here before about this exact issue, but has anyone had insanely long queue times and do you know what to do about it? I haven't played in like 6 years so maybe that's the problem, but it takes two entire hours to find an unranked match on USE/USW and ten minutes to find a role queue.

Try to recalibrate, I que on us east in 2 mins or under.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Chucat posted:

Basically what I'm saying is dota players are dogs who don't understand positive reinforcement and would gladly torpedo a won game to prove a point.

This is very true

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Super-NintendoUser posted:

In Unranked, picking is madness. You get weird drafts with five carries, and everyone fights over safelane. Maybe the solution is to always last pick and try to round out a draft, but then you give away the broken heroes from the patch.

For this situation leverage the early part of the game and learn which supports can ball out before all the opposing carries come online - AA, dark willow, silencer, 4 position zeus, can all scale into the late game while being strong in lane.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I don't think anyone mentioned VIPER is useful for breaking opponents and turning off their passives, I can see him being picked against bristle, husk, etc and have utility even after the bkbs come out. If I'm mid, I like to grab atos first and right click people down. Agree that he's basically dragon knight, tanky and kind of plodding. His scepter also disarms now, which doesn't feel strong enough and I never get it, but if you've got gold to burn might as well.

vvv well played

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 2, 2023

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Chrono is also great b/c your teammates can pile on with their ults, supports with strong aoe like jakiro and ancient apparition are very good at this.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 3, 2024

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Mute them and keep clicking, if you're making a good faith attempt to play the game, it usually works.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Pudge and Sniper are the unofficial Dota mascots, they're picked very often. Also Pudge is fun but with a little different learning curve than other heroes, what you're seeing is people who're trying to have fun and failing.

Also if a Pudge hits every hook he's cheating.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

There are many early and mid game winners right now, especially with the strength of veil>shivas or phyl>khanda.

I've been winning a lot with mid or off death prophet, you can build her tankier or for more dmg and ult spam and won't fall off until 40-50 mins. The suck is strong and gets stronger with her shard, you can chase people down with suck + shiva if you hit your big aoe silence.

I usually start with wraith band unless I'm against a lot of extra early magic dmg, use her q to get every range creep and harass the other carry. Rush veil and go mana boots into greaves or phase for extra chase. Euls and wind waker will get you out of most situations except things that mute items like disruptor ult + scepter. Also her ult does physical dmg and will still hurt bkb users, she has utility all game and is a lot of fun.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 1, 2024

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

BabelFish posted:

dota pulled me back in and I calibrated ~2k mmr after not playing the game for a few years.

I'm having a lot of fun, but this bracket can get super frustrating sometimes. It's high enough that people have thousands of games, but low enough that the games are a complete crap shoot as to if any of your lanes stomp or utterly collapse, many times in the drafting phase.

In my last 10 games (9 losses) I've had on my team:
Pos 5 Zeus
Pos 4 QoP AND Pos 2 Dazzle
Pos 2 Lifestealer
Pos 4 Viper
Pos 5 Mirana
Pos 4 Centaur
Pos 1 Tide

Viper is also strong rn and can do fine at 4 imo.

TOOT BOOT posted:

You know what sucks even worse than trying to kill a Smurf? Trying to kill a Smurf that has some 2k-friendly pocket support like Treant or Venge, which seems to happen a whole lot even in solo queue. The support doesn’t even have to be good, they just have to do their 1 job of covering for any minor mistake by 25/0 OD.

People are often smurfing to play with a friend whose mmr is too far below their main.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Bracer, boots, midas is my DK build. Then finish treads, mageslayer, manta, scepter, bkb, or whatever you like.

There was a time I'd never skip blink but here we are.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Sab669 posted:

The "one size fits all" nature of Rapier being good for right clickers & non is good, because then it doesn't matter who picks it up after you die with it. It's good on anyone who can grab it, basically.

Separating it out would remove that.

Do it like treads, click through physical/magic dmg/defensive rapier.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Someone in this thread mentioned toggling Rapier damage type, they were right.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Do it like treads, click through physical/magic dmg/defensive rapier.

Valve obvi reads this thread

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Play undying mid, get a big lead, gank lanes with tombstone, and become unkillable until minute 45.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I decided way back when hotkeys were created to do:

alt+q, alt+w, alt+e
alt+a, alt+s, alt+d

for all item hotkeys and it works very well and I've never felt like I needed to update

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I like bracers more on 4 position, especially if they're universal.

For off yea I've found myself skipping vanguard for over a year for quick veil or a lotus orb if I'm against a bunch of targeted spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Super-NintendoUser posted:

What's a good build to use for a tanky Offlane Viper? I see a ton of Bristles, so I'd like to learn how to counter him. When I'm P4 I always take Hoodwink and save my ult for BB, but I think there's something to Viper instead.

For tank, I see a lot of people go power treads -> blade mail, maybe Eternal Shroud fits somewhere here? Whenever I play Viper I feel like I have no mana and die too quick, so I'm not sure how to make him work.

Offlane 3 position is usually about countering and minimizing the hc and other team in general. Sometimes it's ok to go the same build every game if the hero is strong enough but often you'll have to make some item choices depending on both the enemy AND your own team's comp. Does my team need me to be tanky and initiate or build more dmg?

I like Viper offlane and mid, he's dependable dmg and tanky but as others have mentioned, he's very slow and is easily out of position. I win a lot of fights by manning up and fighting if I'm caught out. Otherwise, spam and stack your poison right click as much as possible when you're not right clicking creeps. Use the aoe to help deny easy farm during laning, and lvl the passive if you're against heavy magic dmg. Don't save your ult unless it's for someone like bristle or PA who needs to be broken, burn it immediately if someone is out of position and dish out the dmg.

If you're winning lane and farming well, maelstrom into gleip can help against blinkers and ppl who want to run in and out like bloodseeker, ss, or whomever. Blademail if they have a sniper, ursa, troll, lc, etc, halbred always feels good against those champs too. Force staff into hurricane to help you keep up and an escape.

I like a fairly boring start of tango + stick into 1 wraith band and treads, mangos early if you want em. If you're zoning them well, you can go right into a quick dragon lance and really dominate the lane. Main thing for me is like I said earlier, decide quickly if you're going to fight and go all in.