Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Adiabatic posted:

Dunno what percentage of "shitspeak" and what percentage of "rude as gently caress" led to these unfortunate souls getting probated, but I suggest the kind folk of Automotive Insanity not follow this general posting style even in chat threads because holy gently caress is it garbage.
Yay! Adiabatic for mod!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

This is pretty much the case.

My sister was until recently working for a government run civil service program (Americorps) that pays minimum wage but writes down a sizable percentage of your student loans in exchange for a year of service. As a result she qualified for medicaid.

Recently she was diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension (the pressure of the fluid in her brain cavity is too high) and as a result of being on medicaid has been hand-waved away by numerous doctors and even after being diagnosed with a potentially life-threatening condition (among the causes of her condition are infection or massive brain tumor, not to mention the risk of permanent blindness from pressure being exerted onto her optic nerves) has more or less been in a holding pattern. Had to wait a month for an MRI scan - which fortunately came back clear - and is now two weeks into a 6-8 week wait for a spinal tap to relieve pressure. It's highly unlikely that someone who could pay cash or at least with a generous insurance policy I would have to wait 3+ months for treatment.

And just to illustrate how broken our system is - it made more financial sense for her to quit a full time job as an administrative assistant to maintain eligibility for medicaid than retain the job and have their insurance cover it.
Wow. Didn't realize how similar Medicaid was to British or Canadian health care.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Why? @17% if you make $20k a year you pay $3400, if you make $2M you pay $340,000. Are you saying it's regressive because there are more people in the under middle class, and therefore collectively bear the brunt of the tax burden? If so why wouldn't that be a more accurate payment scheme? Should people that make more have to pay a higher percentage to carry the lower earners?
Shifting all the burden onto the high earners is exactly the goal of a "progressive" tax scheme. Flat tax is incredibly regressive for not doing so.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 1, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

But we have "the best healthcare system in the world"!

Also bear in mind the 3+ months have been how long she's waited since finding a doctor who told her something other than "headaches are common, take an aspirin."

Best health care in the world my rear end :rolleyes:
Yup. But you're using "rest of the world" style health care, not the US style health Care system.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Geoj posted:

You do know that medicaid uses the same providers as private insurance, right?

We have the best healthcare system in the world if you can walk into the hospital with a briefcase stuffed full of $100 bills. For everyone else, not so much.
Providers, yes. But it pays less, so nobody wants to deal with it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

Yeah, probably about a foot where the wind doesn't get it and still snowing.

I don't think it was 5 days ago i was out on a green lawn cleaning the yard up for winter.

e: winter tires paying off, but the thermostat might be stuck open.

Meanwhile in Kalifornia we're expecting our first rain this weekend. Sometime. Maybe.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Losing the weight is the easy part, keeping it off is much harder.
Looking at the scale now... Yes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My biggest worry would be spilled coolant or something like that. Cats have the world's worst kidney system, and antifreeze could probably really screw up a cat.
I don't know how much it takes but antifreeze will definitely kill a cat.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

At 8:20 an idiot with his GTR blows the motor showing off a "launch" and tries to act like it's no big deal lol.

Right when he starts to do it I'm thinking why are you doing this you're gonna break it, then it's "I just broke the motor, it's gone" :v:
Lol. Idiot.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I think my favourite was the classic policy who weren't only nearly double the price I'm paying, but not only demanded the car be garaged, they would not insure the car for theft outside the garage but within a mile of my house.

Go down the Co-Op for some milk on the way home and it gets nicked? Tough loving poo poo.

And they thought - of course - that this was reasonable and normal.
Its classic car insurance. They expect it to either be garaged or at a show. If you are parking it on the street...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Actually, a lot don't.

But read what I actually wrote. The car must be kept in the garage, that's fine if it's a condition of the policy. Having it out the garage within a mile of your house voids a theft claim. Not storing it outdoors. Just being out of the garage. That it utterly unacceptable, and loving ridiculous.
Goes back to being garaged or at a show. Price you pay for cheap insurance on a vehicle you rarely drive. If you don't like the restrictions, go elsewhere.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 10, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Too late. I haven't blacked out since I was 21, 9 years ago.
Understandable, even if it's not the healthiest way to go.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Last night, my kids were being very naughty and never cleaned their rooms all evening like they were supposed to. I told my youngest, no watching the tablet in the morning. It probably wasn't a serious threat, because she likes to get up about 7am and like hell am I really gonna get up and make her do chores.

...I hear the door open at 715, she comes in and informed me that she's already cleaned her room, "sooo can I watch the tablet and have some chocolate milk?"

:stonklol: my little 4yo morning person
Good 4 y.o.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Well the benefit of a CVT is you can select the RPM based on the throttle position and mode and stay there. So throttle down gets you peak HP and the engine stays there while the transmission handles the changing wheel speed. Long as it won't grenade it should feel pretty nice.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My company holds their holiday party in November so it doesn't conflict with employee's other holiday plans.

Perfectly seared filet mignon is really really good.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I was making a FATF joke. :(
I got it, Rhyno. It was funny.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Guess I'm banned then.
:awesome:

Adiabatic posted:

It's cool yo, you get preferential treatment for being my secret santa a couple years back.
Damnit.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'd you look hard enough you can probably find an 8 track somewhere. Otherwise join the modern age and get an AA compatible unit. Android auto is awesome.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

I never have to skip to the next album? :shrug:

I have several playlists built, leverage the iHeartRadio app for radio, Google Play for stored music, PocketCasts for podcasts. Switching between the 3 and navigating around the 3 apps is easy with voice activation, minimal touchscreen use and pretty reliable. 'Play Playlist Rockout Favorites', and switch songs using the hard keys on the radio. 'Play Journey'. 'Play 80s music'.

Nav with Google Maps is equally easy. 'Give me directions to xxxxxx' or 'Show me the nearest yyyyyyy' followed by a short list of options. Pick one on screen or by responding with a position number.

We are talking about Android Auto, and not the standard Android OS interface, right?
Exactly. My music is all playlists on shuffle. Who listens to full albums?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Oathbringer releases tomorrow. I'm super excited. Tonight is gonna suck. On the plus side, I'm going into work early tomorrow...and thus getting off work early too. :D

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cage posted:

Got a new phone two days ago. Essential ph-1. Pretty awesome so far. Today I came to the gym, got on a treadmill and as I went to a slight incline the phone slid right off on the track and shattered the screen.

At least I didn't trade in my old phone. :smith:
If you liked it you can buy a replacement from Sprint for almost nothing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Well you sir have taught me something today. I didn't realize the ECU would cut fuel to the injectors if I just left it in gear, even though that makes sense now that you've said it. My thought was "I don't want to do any kind of braking at all if I can avoid it," and I was letting it hit 120-130 going down hills and not putting it back into gear until it'd coasted down to about 70.
On fords if you look at the real time MPG display you can watch it in action.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've never been to Pecan Lodge (yet), been wanting to check them out.

PM deets sent.

(Whataburger is way better than In-N-Out though :colbert:)
Habit > In'N'Out > whataburger

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Darchangel posted:

This is someone who has clearly never eaten at Whataburger.

edit: In 'N' Out is overrated hype. They're good, but nothing special, at least compared to what we already had here in Texas. Are other burger shops in California just bad?
Actually I may be thinking of Five Guys. Which was... exceedingly mediocre. And expensive. I'm not fond of In'N'Out, but its definitely better than Five Guys.

Seminal Flu posted:

Yeah, it's weird teaching kids about cash when they never see me with any "hand money."

Cash is for poors.
Also hair cuts, because I tip and want to do it with cash.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I just ran my first 5K!

And not only did I NOT die but I managed it in under 45 minutes and came in in the middle third!
Rhyno you've done amazing things and that's awesome.

C25k program?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Thanks man! I did not use c25K but I'm going to start it, I think I caught the running bug!
I did it last year when I lost my be weight (since regained ☹️), got to running 10ks for fun. It's a good program.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Hansolio posted:

gently caress YEAH! It's not cancer!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Did it end up being meningitis? I had bacterial meningitis a long time ago, it was 24 hrs from waking up feeling sick to being in a coma (but only for a day). Luckily the ER doc gave me antibiotics before the spinal tap, as the delay would have killed me. The CDC gave her poo poo though, as it didn't let them determine the bacteria causing it for their tracking purposes, and they'd rather you die but they have more info. gently caress em.
Gov 101. Lives are secondary.

Sorry for the politics detail to follow.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Wrar posted:

2017 please end soon. You've been pretty ok to me but to family, friends and AI you've been a shitbird of immense proportions.
We said the same thing in 2016 and 2015 and...

Life continues for most of us, but people pass every year. Hug your loved ones every chance you get, hope for the best, and take care of yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mustang and truck both average(d) about 15. Bike gets 45. 20 mile roundtrip commute. 33 gallon tank is nice, though.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 30, 2017

• Locked thread