Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

A few months ago there was an article about peter duttons certainty and his insistence on signing all paperwork personally.

so when i put that together with yesterdays leaks from the concentration camps my brain says peter dutton is personally hurting people by delaying medical treatment, on purpose, because he is evil.

What does everybody else think?

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Bishop is too clever to challenge Trumble while he's a sitting PM though. She'll bide her time until the LNP loses the next election and then go for leadership, if she ever wants to move on from being deputy.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Senor Tron posted:

I've long said that Bishop will be the next Lib leader and I am going to call it now that she will be PM after the next election.

Prediction: they make it clear to Turnbull that a challenge is coming and to save face he will call a leadership ballot saying that the party needs refreshing or some such thing. Bishop will win the leadership and then the next federal election.

Australia loses.

IDK if Malcolm would be able to get over his own ego for long enough to do that tbh.

I'd be shocked if the LNP, especially Bishop, would be stupid enough to change leadership before the election.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

This is silly

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Twitter is a silly source of data to analyse for polling purposes. There's an unknown number of bots, duplicate accounts, etc. There's also the huge potential for self-selection bias.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Periphery posted:

Has anyone asked that octopus what it thinks the result will be? Seems like that would be just as reliable as the results of that study.

I think the octopus is dead :((((

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

nearly 80% of eligible voters returned the marriage survey :kimchi:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

SadisTech posted:

more details:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/09/you-terrorist-sam-dastyari-abused-by-right-wing-group-in-melbourne-bar

loving sickening that they're emboldened enough by the current political climate to do this to a pollie who's got such a big media profile. Straya.

Arguably they were doing it for that very reason, i.e. the media/attention/notoriety it would bring them.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

gently caress no, he's neoliberalism with a pretty face.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol the ALP paid $500k and pissed off the VFF(Victorian farmers federation) to buy the Animal Justice Party’s preferences for this by-election, and got into bed with the LDP too

:owned:

wait lmao they actually paid for the preferences?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

They set up a whole new government agency to placate them.

that'll do it

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Gluten Freeman posted:

lmao I was joking with some guy at the dog park this morning about ajp swinging the byelection, can't believe the alp actually had a go at it

Seen some speculation that the liberal party might replicate their strategy with some of the other marginal alp/greens seats in the state election next year because there's a couple more that Labor could lose.

Edit: as in, not running candidates in those seats

hmm. not sure. that could result in a Lab/Greens coalition and the LNP sure as hell don't want the Greens to have more power.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

so, the Australian Christian Lobby actually drafted Paterson's bill: https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/opinion/topic/2017/11/18/turnbulls-reality-check-the-mail/15109236005513

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

yikes indeed

I recently read an ABC article that addressed this very issue:

quote:

Ryan Griffen, creator of Cleverman
The question that I no longer want to hear is when people ask "what percentage Aboriginal" I am.

When I say that I'm an Aboriginal man, and they say, "Well, look at your skin colour, you're not," — it really infuriates me.

When there have been laws passed, and there are systemic forms of racism that have been about diluting Aboriginal genes and stealing children, I shouldn't have to debate who I am anymore.

When you come at me with a question like that, you're just adhering to the forms of racism that the assimilation process and the Stolen Generation were built on.

People should just be able to be who they want to be. I'm a proud Aboriginal man, and questions like that really detract from the journey that I'm on.

regardless of how a person looks, you cannot assume that they're not affected by racism and discrimination. Andrew Bolt publicly vilified a group of Aboriginal people because they weren't black enough for him. That sort of thinking is racist in and of itself. Having to justify your Aboriginality is incredibly problematic for a lot of people, especially when, as Gorilla Salad and the article pointed out, the basis for a lot of Australian policy for decades was to 'breed out' the Aboriginality, stamp out Aboriginal cultures, and steal children that could 'pass' as being non-Aboriginal.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 19, 2017

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Salted_Pork posted:

From what I understood, benefits are meant to be the government's way of compensating non-whites for a lack of white privilege, to ensure all people have equal opportunity in Australia. If this is the case, how is it ok that white skinned aboriginal people get both benefits and white privilege? Or am I misunderstanding the point of benefits in this country?

what sort of benefits do you think Aboriginal people get?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

BBJoey posted:

lol if u think light-skinned aboriginal people enjoy the full benefits of white privilege

as one small example, consider the centuries of oppression and generational trauma that aboriginal people face; that doesn’t go away just because someone can pass as white.

exactly.

not just that, but you get fucks coming along and trying to tell you you're not aboriginal enough and that you're somehow gaming the system for extra benefits. fuuuuck offffff

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Spill Bill

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

happy democracy sausage day queensland

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Taking bets as to which ex-judge will be appointed to head the Commission.

my bet is Dyson Heydon

also, the first couple of paragraphs of the 'context' section are gold

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I thought it was because poo poo floats

• Locked thread