Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

qkkl posted:

Nukes are actually stupidly powerful. North Korea with several hundred tactical nukes would easily defeat the entire US military if the US wasn't allowed to use nukes of their own.

qkkl posted:

Also a side note about nukes. It only takes one very big thermonuclear bomb to wipe out all life on earth if it's made to maximize nuclear fallout. An unhinged, suicidal dictator with one nuke could very cheaply make that one nuke unimaginably powerful by just adding cheap lithium deuturide fuel so it would act as a doomsday device.

lmao usually clancychat sticks to the north korea thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/LatuffCartoons/status/1011022855038013440

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I certainly hope the Iraqi security forces don't use even 1/10th of the ferocity against the protesters that they ended up showing against ISIS.

too late

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They're like 100,000 dead people short. The battles for Raqqa and Mosul were unbelievably savage.

'ferocity' in my mind is less about the body count and more about the enthusiasm and joie-de-vivre displayed by the murderers

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Ardennes posted:

One explanation for the "racism" by the Lebanese (are they different race then the guys 100 kms away?), is simply housing costs which almost certainly have spiraled higher in recent years and a general overall cost of living. Also Syrians very possibly are engaged in "non-traditional" employment which may not actually show up clearly in statistics.

'people cant be racist against their neighbors' is a really weird hill to die on

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, that isn't even remotely close to the point of the discussion?

Not until you brought it into it idiot

Ardennes posted:

One explanation for the "racism" by the Lebanese (are they different race then the guys 100 kms away?)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Spacewolf posted:

You know, does it ever occur to you that moustache-twirling monocle'd evil as you seem to portray is pretty much only the domain of Bond villains and similar cardboard fictional characters?

You're right, Israel's villainy makes those guys look like girl scouts

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Frond posted:

Now? Not likely. In the past (prior to the war) this was absolutely the case.

Sergg posted:

Weird how Alawites made up over 80% of Syrian officers prior to the war. Just lucky guys I guess.

Hell of a coincidence ahaha

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

Like jesus christ was holodomor genocide or just a simple killoff?

It's actually nazi propaganda

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

The point was that holodmor was an invention of nazi propaganda

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Take Holocaust denial somewhere else.

The holocaust is real and the holodomor is a nazi attempt to smoke screen their own genocide

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

What is this the Stepan Bandera fan club thread all of a sudden?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

It's weird but genocides aren't actually mutually exclusive.

Yeah but there's plenty of real genocides that are also relevant to this thread you dont have to go digging for nazi and anti-communist historical revisionism to talk about them

Like the Genocide the USA and its allies are overseeing in Yemen right now
http://exiledonline.com/the-war-nerd-anglo-american-media-complicity-in-yemens-genocide/

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I thought we already won that war.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Squalid posted:

I have no idea how to make sense of Saudi politics or how the Saudi government functions but I'm sure its far stupider than I could ever even imagine.

Imagine game of thrones but everyone is Walder Frey or Mace Tyrell

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

surf rock posted:

I don't mean to be callous, but why exactly is Khashoggi's death serving as such a catalyst for international backlash? I kinda thought that most countries were doing this poo poo regularly, especially a non-democracy like Saudi Arabia that already has a bad human rights record. Am I wrong and this is like the first time that a journalist has been killed outside of warzone in decades, and journalists like writing about journalists? Or has everyone been looking for a solid excuse to hold their feet to the fire?

I guess what's weird about this to me is: didn't China straight-up kidnap the head of Interpol like a week ago? What happened to that story? Is he dead? How is that not a bigger story? That seems like it ought to be EVERYWHERE.

All those dead-eyed ghouls that have been writing favorable puff pieces for Muhammed Bin Salman were 100% willing to write off any faceless yemenis, saudis, or any other poor arabs they would never in their lives meet as 'broken eggs' needed to make MBS' wonderful reform omlette. Naturally being every bit as cowardly as they are ghoulish, this calculus changed when someone in their own professional and social circle was targetted.

For the first time in their lives, editorialists for the washington post and wallstreet journal and other awful soulless rags felt a pang of empathy for one of MBS' many many many victims, and were able to see themselves in Khashoggi's shoes. This is why we see so much press coverage of this.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 16, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Sinteres posted:

FWIW it's mostly not that cheerleaders suddenly turned around and decided they hated MBS, but more that people who were always skeptical got to point to this incident as validating their opinion and giving them a chance to share it (and forcing some of the cheerleaders to back away from their support for him).

I would be curious to know who exactly these people who "Were always skeptical" are because I dont think anyone in the mainstream american media fits that criteria

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

remember when Jake Tapper decided "hey, I've never bought the MBS fluff" after actively promoting that Friedman piece

Yeah everyone who fell hook line and sinker for MBS is working overtime now to scrub their record but there was fairly unanimous support for him until this particular incident. It's hard to imagine how you could ignore it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/OnionPolitics/status/1052328630641147905/photo/1

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Sorry ze pollack, there isn't any more of a conclusive case tying the Saudi monarchy to 9/11 any more than there is tying Iran to it

:thunk:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/camanpour/status/1052980898604273669

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

sum posted:

Ah okay so you were just easily tricked into legitimizing an incredibly influential foreign recruiter for ISIS because you didn't feel like doing the sort of basic research you get paid to do. Nothing to see here folks

My favorite part is him telling the ISIS recruiter to just block the haters

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

qkkl posted:

I would actually argue that a military pilot is one of the most merit-based jobs in the military, considering how one gently caress-up can destroy a multi-million dollar plane. And there are lots of ways to gently caress-up when flying.

John Sidney McCain III

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

the president's melty brain has this to say about conflict in the middle east

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1064935814486986756

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Bomb a few weddings and you never hear the end of it.
:stonk:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Is it any more a “myth” than that of, say, the USA, which is also composed of numerous ethnic groups and minorities (most of which are also treated horribly)?

You're right, Turkey is as evil as the United States (very evil)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

What is your solution? I'd like to hear something that is practical and realistic and goes beyond "well, one side should just take the higher road and forget the crimes and sins of the other side :angel:"

Imagine thinking that fighting back against your own genocide is a "crime and sin"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

This but unironically and also the legitimate successor is not the EU, but Moscow, the Third Rome. Please do not @ me with any denying the moral superiority of the Moscow Patriarchate, Papists get out, thank you.

Vladimir I, Imperator of the Rhōmaiōn crowned in the Hagia Sofia of Neo-Constantinople

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Can't wait for almighty or enraged camel to make the logical leap from comparing Turkish and American genocides to calling Sioux or Cherokee tribes terrorists like the pkk

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/dril/status/687446125457096704?lang=en

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Volkerball posted:

It's not going to happen, nor should it, but US forces would be in Tehran in a month.

hi grover

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

20 years of deployment has been fairly effective at weeding out the worst of the bullshit artists among the ground troops, yes.

Are you talking about the same ground troops who were still using dowsing rods over a decade into the Iraq war?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

A Typical Goon posted:

If the American public can't handle 4000 combat deaths over 10 years in Iraq they'll never support an invasion of Iran. America would be forced to conduct a naval invasion across the Persian Gulf - and with the number of cruise missiles that Iran has at their disposal that would be disastrous. 4000 deaths over a 10 year period would look like nothing in that scenario

If there was a naval invasion across the gulf there could be over 4000 combat deaths before the fall of Bandar Abbas, getting to Tehran from there is a pipe dream.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

fishmech posted:

He said be in Tehran in a month, which can be done. He also rightly pointed out that it would be a terrible idea, because of the fact just being there would mean nothing about the force being able to hold it much less the rest of the country. Same thing as your statement about being able to win an air war... that still leaes the situation with a whole shitload more to be done if the goal wasn't just "kill a bunch of people for no reason".

The only american soldiers in tehran 1 month into an invasion are going to be on trial for war crimes

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Weird that the thread died as soon as there was news to disrupt the Iran circle jerk.

https://twitter.com/weinbergersa/status/1085587804095217664

You'd have to be the stupidest person on earth to be surprised by this

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Squalid posted:

I'm kind of biased on the Kashmir situation because I really viscerally dislike Pakistan and I can't shake the feeling anything they are involved in must be bad by association.
Why am I not surprised lmao

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

svenkatesh posted:

I didn't say that India was the best place for Muslims.

If the southern US was really horrendous to blacks they would move to the North. Or to Liberia, a country created as a safe haven for African Americans

What a surprise that the guy who is insanely racist and dismissive towards pakistanis is also insanely racist and dismissive towards black americans

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Much like all those petty Jews who were too stupid and bad to provide a viable alternative to nazism amirite. Might makes right and there's 1,000 useful idiots like you for every one Ghiath Matar.

Jesus christ you're an insane racist bloodthirsting weirdo and should never be allowed to post in any thread related to an ongoing conflict

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Don't use progressive insults when you're attacking me from the right. The idea that Syrians have failed to overthrow their dictatorship because they are all just too terrorist to be allowed to have a say when it comes to their own basic human rights, is some Ben Shapiro, global war on terror bullshit. Straight up victim blaming.

Way to make up a bunch of bullshit about me to sidestep the fact that you constantly post with throbbing erections about all the brown people that die in the 'just' wars you love so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Grape posted:

You consistently go into every topic with 100% passion and maybe 3.4% knowledge or general awareness of what's going on.

Ah yes, white americans telling me I know nothing about the middle east. Exactly what this tangent was missing