Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Crazycryodude posted:

Is Rojava still cool and good?

They're a still living actor in one of the roughest neighborhoods in the world.

Are they complicit and/or responsible some really nasty stuff? Likely. Do they run regime-style hellscape prisons? No. Are they foreign takfiri firebrands currently hellbent on sectarian genocide? No. Take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Squalid posted:

(...) removing the Assad regime always came in second to countering the threat of Islamic extremism.

The amount of unsavory FSA-factions with an obvous salafi agenda that the Americans have funded kinda ruins this narrative.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

It's lacking the funny pictures. See for Irak we had aluminum tubes in trucks, for Afghanistan we had Vault AL QUAEDA, can we have at least a funny/lovely photo-shop for Iran?

Well there is this

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
Try writing to Caro and ask him about what faction to join in the middle east thunderdome.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Actually most died under torture because they didnt have guns to protect themselves with, one of them I knew personally. But it's ok, I know it's hard for a pathetic fascist like you to read anything. I'm happy for you that you dont have to die for saying something your government disagrees with, unlike the vast majority of syrian leftists.

I might be getting things mixed up, but didnt you even post a set of biographies of prominent Syrian leftists who ended up getting murdered by the regime in the last thread?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I have been reading lately about attacks carried out by Iraqi kurdish islamists called The White Flags. Anybody got info on these guys? Ansar al-Islam holdouts?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
So uh, I just saw this surface on Reddit and it's pretty :stonk: https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/878v5x/rihab_allawi_civil_engineering_student_activist/ (NSFW as gently caress)

Complete with a searchable list of 1,5m names of outstanding warrants by the regime.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
Imagine running a dictator academy in the panama canal zone designed to churn out counter-insurgency capable strongmen and keep the hemisphere under the yoke, but still have the chutzpah to take the moral high ground on the issue of human rights violations. :psyduck:

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

HorrificExistence posted:

arab Christians are honorary whites. Why do you think they are the only ones allowed to come to europe and america

This is just plain wrong. They are a useful excuse for enabling neocon foreign policy, and that's just about it.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

He is a reformer - that doesn't mean that he is a radical reformer who will turn KSA into a liberal democracy on the spot.

It's just window-dressing. He's setting the country up for a stellar transition from a nepotistic shithole to a nepotistic shithole with a larger amount of foreign investors. Didnt he announce some pipe-dream megacity with its own set of laws not "tied down by customs and tradition"? This guy is a sham.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Good to see the premier Syrian bitcoin mining project is coming along nicely.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
On the note of sectarian oppression, how are things for the Iraqi sunnis? I mean, it obviously sucks a great deal and the PMU are pretty drat brutal - but how does it compare to say, the life of the shia during post-Kuwait Saddam?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Anybody been following the goings-on in Hodeida?

I have yet to find any good and reliable twitter accounts or other sources for live updates. The whole lack of documenation is rather alarming to be honest.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
The Houthis / Yemeni army claims to have hit a coalition barge at sea.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Volkerball posted:

This was at the NCRI(MEK) rally in Paris. Lots of western politicians show up for that thing. Crisis averted.

https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/status/1013811771763765248?s=19

Weird as poo poo seeing an ostensibly leftist, previously vehemently anti-american literal cult getting Neocon approval these days. I'm sure a bunch of Saddam collaborators will be embraced with open arms in Tehran. :downs:

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Trump didn't tweet about it.

It's just an opportunity to make a token gesture towards the moral reasons for opposing the Iranian regime. "We stand with the people of Iran" type of deal. You won't hear a mention of the MEK or Rajavi 364 days of the year from people like Bolton, Giuliani, and Howard Dean, who have all attended the event recently.

In the years I've been keeping up with developments in Iran, I've seen 1 instance of what could be described as MEK activism in Iran, and it was just a dude filming himself putting up a picture of Maryam Rajavi on a bridge. In all of the actual protests over the last year, I have not seen a single reference to her, the MEK, or anyone that appears to be deliberately wearing yellow to signify themselves as aligned with the MEK. Despite the fact that the annual gathering in Paris is far and away the largest gathering of Iranian dissidents in the world, I don't think there's anything whatsoever to suggest they have any sort of influence in Iran. Regardless of their history, at the conference, even from Rajavi herself, all you really get are generic nods towards democratic reform from all the speakers and rounds of applause from a lot of people who are being paid to be there. Nobody is really married to the MEK or their platform, whatever the hell it is these days. Nobody gives a poo poo about them. I find that the Barbara Slavin's and Trita Parsi's of the world that focus on legitimizing the reformists are the ones who spend the most time discussing the MEK and drawing a bunch of conclusions from western politicians going to their conference to say "I think the Iranian people deserve freedom! :buddy:" Truth is if the west was looking to influence the aftermath of a hypothetical Iranian revolution, it'd most likely be by backing Reza Pahlavi as the figurehead of what would be framed as the first steps towards a new secular democracy. Not the MEK.

This is actually a pretty good summary. A bit unsure about reinstalling the monarchy, but you would sure as poo poo go with the most pliant despot around, without the MEKs toxic reputation at home. It would probably also make the Chalabi debacle in Iraq seem like a masterstroke by comparison.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Volkerball posted:

There's definitely a monarchist contingent among current revolutionaries, but I think they are a small, albeit loud, group of kids that are just lashing out in the most militant way they can think of. Not just against the government, but against the older generation for allowing Iran to become a theocracy. And you can see the think pieces now coming out from older, Iranian academics talking about how these drat millennials are dumb as poo poo and don't know what they're saying. Same sort of dynamic you see all the time in these situations. I don't think that can be translated into an actual real support for reinstating the shah. I think it'd be much more likely to see a multi-party democracy with Pahlavi leveraging his anti-theocratic credentials into becoming a prime minister or president or whatever they want to call it. Seems to be more in line with Pahlavi's view of how Iran should move forward. Right now there's literally no other opposition figure people are rallying around.

Imagine how much of a dumb goon you would have to be to fawn at Reza Pahlavi and notorious gestapo-larpers SAVAK when you can just scroll a little further and find Mohammed Mossadegh as a historical figure to rally around.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

there's a crucial characteristic that Reza Pahlavi has and Mohammad Mossadegh does not

is it the authoritarian strongman appeal?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I'm a huge dummy

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
What is the Pakistani stance on the current situation regarding Xinjiang / the Uighurs?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

What wealth are Americans extracting from Afghanistan? The only wealth transfer I can see is to weapons manufacturers and mercenaries, and those transfers don't diminish with conflict intensity / duration. Afghanistan exports virtually no goods excerpt for fruit and carpets

Didnt they find bizarre amounts of battery grade lithium in Afghanistan?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Volkerball posted:

and Iran will use anything you give it to promote fascism, domestically and abroad, and they will spit in your face while they do it.

While Assad is obvious, who else does this apply to? Hezbollah? Ansarullah? I dont see Iran play any rougher than the neighbors. Which of course is a pretty low bar considering Turkey, Iraq and the Saudis are all there.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Aside from Assad, Hezbollah and the PMU's are the big ones. Between those three, Iran is in the drivers seat in Lebanon, Syria and Iraq. In that seat, they've had proxy forces upload photos of chemical weapons deployment systems they took right before attacks, operate the largest concentration camps of the 21st century, and spark two massive civil wars that have threatened to destabilize the whole middle east, just in the last 7 years. That's to say nothing about things like the AMIA bombing and this recent plot on the MEK rally, showing that they continue to be directly involved in terrorist plots around the world. You can what about all you want, but none of that changes the fact that on its own merit, empowering the force behind that is a horrible idea with very predictable results.

NATO member Turkey has been running a 40 year ethnic cleansing of its second-class citizens. Saudi is domestically just as oppressive, intervened in Bahrain and Yemen. Israel literally is writing apartheid laws in 2018.

I am not trying to excuse any vile deeds, but as long as imperial stooges get away scoff-free, there literally is no incentive to improve either. You just tie yourself up with restricitions nobody else abides by.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

If the USA can assassinate Assad, it can also assassinate his younger brother.

I lust for a death spiral of deposed despots that will eventually yield my true goal: an IRL Mad Max zone.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

qkkl posted:

Israel.

And military bases all around Arabia.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Sneakster posted:

....so, we're in Afghanistan to score heroin?

That's either part of it, or a fortunate side effect of it.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Sergg posted:

What would you do if your entire family and the neighborhood you grew up in had been killed by a fascist government and your name was on a list that would get you immediately sent to a concentration camp the moment you surrendered?

Well to be fair signing up for al-qaeda would still be pretty far down the list.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
S-75, S-125, S-200 for stationary SAMs. Assorted self-propelled versions up to and including the BUK. (of Ukrainian separatist fame)

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah but there's plenty of real genocides that are also relevant to this thread you dont have to go digging for nazi and anti-communist historical revisionism to talk about them

Like the Genocide the USA and its allies are overseeing in Yemen right now
http://exiledonline.com/the-war-nerd-anglo-american-media-complicity-in-yemens-genocide/

Sorry friend but Stalin actively killed and/or otherwise destroyed the communities of plenty of ethnic minorities

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
MBS should have had Khassogi thrown out of a window to fit with the TYW narrative.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

I also didn't realise my opinion of Shami was so important to Jihadists.

If the thesis you're driving is "Bellingcat funded by and/or are beholden to NATO stooges. NATO stooges prefer violent secatrian jihadis to other local despots.", it's a nice and easy gotcha to post tweets between the two buddying up on social media.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Savy Saracen salad posted:

The YPG and the PKK have a long history of cooperating with tyrants in the region and in the past acted as informers for the Mukhabarat of the baath regimes. early during the initial protests they were basically hired thugs, infiltrating protests in civilian cloth and arresting prominent activists and handing them to the airforce intelligence. It is not surprising for me that westerners in this forum would engage in the most extreme mental gymnastics to defend the PKK and th YPG. Westerners have a tendency of supporting or feeling kinship with collectivist ethno nationalistic movementS and since they are fighting Sunni Syrian Arabs ( whom westerners automatically label as terrorists with a broad brush, 100% alt right mentality) they get bonus points for fighting those terrorist Sunni Arabs. I have worked with the UNHCR and various organisations on Syria trying to save and resettle Syrian activists and one if the most common terrors they recounted to me was the YPG grabbing activists from their bed and stuffing them in microbusses in the middle of the night, never to be seen or heard from again. And all of this happens after they promised those activists safety after fleeing regime territory. The bulk of all those stories was way before the battle of Kobane and the rise of daesh when colonel Riad Al Assad still had a say in the FSA.

In short a thousand " gently caress you" to anyone whom supports the YPG or PKK

source your quotes

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Its government is ostensibly headed by dudes taking their instructions from an imaginary friend.

They dont appear millenarian enough to risk their fiefdom though.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I'm pretty sure that the Ottomans claimed the title of Kayser-i Rūm.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I remember reading something about the TIP Uyghurs bringing their families along and settling down en masse in Jisr al-Shugur (western Idlib) - which would probably swell the actual numbers quite a lot if the 4,000 cited only includes party cadres. That said, it could all just be bs too.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

What's happening in the unironically socialist democracy of Iran? I guess they shut down the internet to concentrate on being more democratic in a more socialist way?

They are out yearning for the system to be replaced by either a strongarm monarch or a literal cult friendly to the US State Department. Rumor has it the neoliberal shock therapy boot has a slightly different flavor profile than the sanctions boot.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Mozi posted:

Accountability is too hard, much better for Assad's people that we let them be gassed and tortured at will.

Ah yes, this is the west with its principled stand against human right abuses. It's not at all a transparent cudgel against a state actor deemed unacceptable to US interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
canaanites OUT