Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
A good thread rule, possibly worth adding to the OP:

Please do not get ME residents (such as Al-Saqr) executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I stopped reading the ME after my eyes rolled up back through my head when people were morally condemning other people they had internet disagreements with. Please don't tell me someone tried to doxx Al-Saqr or something stupid.

No, just people demanding Al-Saqr denounce thus-and-such KSA authority with the same fervor he denounced other people in the ME. It came up with a Turkish poster who doesn't post any more too, as I recall.

e: Maybe it was someone in Egypt? I don't remember, it was a long time ago.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
just some random Turkey news I saw today, dunno how much to credit it

https://twitter.com/LeeCamp/status/927843571935330304

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there was just an earthquake apparently

https://twitter.com/seismo_steve/status/929785771216834561

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

qkkl posted:

Assassinating Assad would just put his extremely angry and volatile younger brother in charge, which I'm certain would have lead to much worse Syrian casualties down the line. However Maher might have started committing atrocities so extreme that even Russia would have been forced to accept that removing the Assad regime was necessary.

that's a lot of ifs, on top of pile-the-bodies-higher accelerationism

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
because they kill people you want dead

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
don't overthink it

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's not as though "assad is planning to continue using chemical weapons" is an extraordinary claim

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Flayer posted:

Both sides lie but at least with the Western media it's possible to discern the kernels of truth from amidst the company/government line. From what I've watched of Russian news sources it watches like 100% propaganda and I don't know how anyone could take it seriously. They could take a line from Western media ie take a few hits by allowing some independent reporting to retain a shred of integrity that allows you to push the viewpoint you're ultimately going for.

they do do that, by also publishing and supporting reputable (or formerly reputable) journalists and commentators who find themselves on the fringe for whatever reason

eg sy hersh

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Saladin Rising posted:

Oh hey look, that's all the major factions in Syria.

i mean there's also the saa

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Was bombing German cities in WW2 good

no, it largely didn't affect public support for the war, and didn't accomplish very much in the way of diminishing german industrial capacity, especially compared to the expense of developing, building, and refining strategic bombers and doctrines

even if you set aside the civilian human cost entirely, it wasn't a productive strategy except when it was directed at specific military targets (eg railroads, romania's oil industry)

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 23, 2018

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
hezbollah is there with the blessing of Assad and the SAA, i thought

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

wow you're literally doing a holodomor splitting hairs argument.

they're killing everyone, so it cant be genocide!!!!!!!!

leomarr is not "we", and it's best to just ignore off-topic bait

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
or on a polymer made from light sweet crude, which seems much more likely

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
all of this "trump is going to gently caress it up" talk is likely correct, but it needs to be compared to the existing baseline of trump, mattis, et al. loving up US involvement in syria and afghanistan. it's not going to be an orderly exit, but neither was it an orderly occupation (let alone a just or bloodless one).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
yeah i guess i didn't account for the "trump changes his mind half-way" worst of both world option

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you all are weirdly optimistic about the US's effect as a stabilizing force in the middle east, especially given the past five-ish decades or so

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
don't fight, you can both be terrible posters

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

HorrificExistence posted:

The Ottoman empire was the greatest force for anti-imperialism in the 19th century.

is this too long for a thread title

e: shut up leomarr

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 7, 2019

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

HorrificExistence posted:

nice actual islamophobia dude, i guess having an ethnically exclusive state founded on nationalism is less fascist than having a vibrant diverse society where you have to pay a tax on liquor and cant charge interest.

the pro-monarchy leftist

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i mean we can play Tom Clancy all we want but it would all be extreme hypotheticals anyway

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zurakara posted:

Time to see if SA will make good on their threats to 9/11 Mapleland.

please don't post like this

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

this has been happening for a while, just accompanied with denials. if this is a meaningful escalation, it's a political one, not a practical one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grouchio posted:

We really could use a South Asia thread.

:justpost:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Frond posted:

Which Kurd? How about the other ones?

it's a synecdoche for the Kurdish people in and near Syria, particularly the YPG.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grouchio posted:

What are the current chances of India and Pakistan going to nuclear war this year?

low but worryingly nonzero

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Coldwar timewarp posted:

It is also absurd we don’t get to discuss it in this thread because a bunch of paid shills of Israel’s internet army will poo poo it up. Or people brought on nationalist/co-religionist propaganda tours funded by Israel. That or fuckheads who basically have a white nationalist or neocolonial view. Excellent company to keep.

it also tends to be so busy that it overwhelms any other news, and any non-I/P topic quickly gets derailed when someone posts (often questionably important) comments from Israeli authorities.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Coldwar timewarp posted:

As opposed to Syria? Yemen? India/Pakistan? They all deserve their own threads, but we get rid of Syrian or Iranian chauvinists when they pop up, but allow Israeli chauvinists a platform indefinitely.

Why don't you ask in QCS rather than in this thread, where nobody particularly has the power to do anything about it anyway?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Oh man, I bet that poster bought themself the avatar that calls them a huge bitch! What an awesome burn

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

Conveniently ignoring a few key details to the civil war doesn't make the end result any less horrific.

please don't try to relitigate it here

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I thought Iran banned Instagram?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Apparently it's both.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ham posted:

-Women have a guaranteed 25% share of the houses of parliament.

I don't know a lot about Egypt but is this an attempt to encode secularism into the Constitution? It feels like one to me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Also what do his trade wars actually hit? I'm hearing nothing yet from China about downturns.

why don't you go ask in a thread about trump, the US economy, or china

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I think it's a bit early to assume we fully know the consequences of Trump's foreign policy to boot. Knowing that it's bad and suspecting that it's even worse than we know is different from knowing for a fact how bad it got. Even the harshest critic of Bush didn't know for a fact everything we know now back in 2003.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

is trump worse? possibly.

the part where trump has exercised no oversight except to occasionally exhort the US military to be more careless and brutal is worse.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Helsing posted:

Despite not being able to cite any specific examples

The first page of google results. It took me longer to write this post than find these.

Please, don't pull this poo poo if you're not going to put in any effort of your own.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Helsing posted:

Bush wasn't shy about using drone strikes but the technology was barely being used until the last two years of his administration so this is a weird point of comparison, especially since by this metric you're saying that Obama was worse than George W. Bush.

These are examples of Trump specifically ordering policies of increasingly indiscriminate bombing and covering up the extent of doing so.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

That is a post about 2004 written based on revelations six years later. I even specifically addressed this like one page ago.

Cease to Hope posted:

I think it's a bit early to assume we fully know the consequences of Trump's foreign policy to boot. Knowing that it's bad and suspecting that it's even worse than we know is different from knowing for a fact how bad it got. Even the harshest critic of Bush didn't know for a fact everything we know now back in 2003.

We knew it was bad then, we just didn't specifically know how bad.

Evaluating Trump to be worse than Bush because he is openly brutal or careless is not a moral judgement that killing people with ~decorum~ is somehow less bad, but rather using what we do know about Trump to guess at the things we don't know about Trump. That's all we can do, unless you want to adjourn this discussion until 2024 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Helsing posted:

Surely we can acknowledge how bad he is without spinning fairy tales about the noble intentions of democratic champions like George W. Bush.

I don't think people in this thread are spinning fairy tales about whatever.

People are laying Yemen and Syria and Pakistan (and Somalia, albeit not recently in this thread) at Trump's feet, based on guessing how bad things are from sketchy evidence, or saying that Trump's naked indifference/bloodlust are a green light to dictators who previously felt that America's lip service to democracy meant that overt oppression was risky. (Trying to be fair to eg Sinteres's argument here, even though I don't find it very convincing.)

I don't think you speculating about how everyone is deranged by a need to justify their hate of Trump is helpful, especially since that same rhetoric was deployed to defend Bush.