Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
like peace in the middle east, al-saqr's op will never come to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
hell yeah its been a while since we've assassinated someone on foreign soil

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

CrazyLoon posted:

Bin Laden was a non person :colbert: as were all those south and central american political figures that met their unfortunate 'accidents'

pretty sure the americans did that, the "we" was referring to iranians.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
Where in The World is Saad Hariri

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Elyv posted:

this has apparently killed over 100 people, mostly in Iran
more than 330 people now

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/12/dozens-killed-by-earthquake-in-iraniraq-border-region

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
hezbollah is not going to switch teams.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

lollontee posted:

They be Bashars homeboys

without iran, south lebanon would be israeli. pretty sure that still counts for something to hezbollah.

e: it does, at least, to nasrallah.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
watching people who never gave a flying gently caress about the iranian people become erect and parroting MEK and pahlavi talking points is extremely my poo poo

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
no one who is backed by the US will ever be viable

e: no one's ever going to forget the US' support for saddam during the war, mossadegh or the fourty odd years where they've threatened to bomb us into submission or simply plain off the map.

spaceships fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 1, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
nevermind the fact the shah was a tyrant

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

El Disco posted:

Minor details. Same for his secret police.

the SAVAK? i hardly knew her! ahaha *wipes sweat off brow*

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
lol, pro-regime protests are being passed off as anti-regime and there's a video from bahrain in '11 (and a few from latin america) being circulated as iranian protesters making GBS threads on the regime. someone also posted a picture from an iranian movie where a woman is kicking riot police and claimed it was from the protests. this is a poo poo storm to wade through.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Yadoppsi posted:

Are you in country spaceships? What's your take on what the protesters on the the street want? Is there a unified call to action or are different regions protesting different things?

i am not, but my pops is. it's hard to figure out whether or not there's actually a unified call to action, but the common thread everywhere is the economy, that much i can be almost certain of. it's incredibly hard to decipher the information coming out, between the blatant lies from regime change propagandists and the regimes own propaganda. the amount of lies and disinformation circulating social media makes me wary of the actual situation there, and there are some things i just can't figure out; why are certain hardliners in favor of the protests, in the same vein as neo cons, the MEK and the people who genuinely want reforms. no one really knows anything and i'm slowly but surely losing my mind.

Preen Dog posted:

I am a curious Irannoob.

Iran is a small coalition autocracy with 85% of it's exports related to oil.

Is there any chance of these protests achieving positive reform?

rouhani is clearly willing to engage, at least publically, with the protesters, so depending on what happens from here on out, something might come of this. i can't say what it is, though.

spaceships fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 1, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
word is a good portion of the protesters were ahmadinejads base during the election and his presidency, but it's nothing i can confirm one way or the other.

e: which kind of makes sense, they've clearly not done well under rouhanis economic policies, what with unemployment still rising, too

spaceships fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 2, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
just got off the phone with my pops in iran, he's rather hopeful about all of this going forward. he believes the current and older generations of mullahs are a lost cause but he sees a new, younger generation that are more than willing to engage with reforms and more secular rule of law. regardless of how westerners understand secularism, iran is still a religious country, and even those who call for secular reforms are proud shi'ites.

he's making a distinction between protesters calling for economic reforms and are unhappy with rouhani and the government, who have been largely peaceful through this whole thing, and the protesters who are breaking poo poo, most of whom, he assumes, are the same people who were violent during-before-and after ahmadinejads reign, there are some red threads there, he says. he also talked about outside provocateurs, but i'm not sure how i'm gonna weigh that just yet.

unless the IRGC gets involved, he's optimistic. if they do get involved, he's pretty sure it'll end in a bloodbath

e: i asked him if he was out throwing bricks too and he said "no, the revolutionary guard beat the poo poo out of me in '79 and i'm too old for such a beating now."

spaceships fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 2, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Count Roland posted:

I thought I read the IRGC had already been brought out?

not in any significant capacity. if they were, you'd have more than the two dozen or so reported deaths.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

TildeATH posted:

Your dad sounds like a grade A jerk.

that's Shah Grade A Jerk to you, pedar sag

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

TildeATH posted:

He sounds like an old conservative douchebag with the Proud Shi’a and Those Good Revolutionaries Who Want Reform and Restrained IRGC lines. It sounds like an Iranian version of a Trump supporter who wants to make sure nothing really changes and none of that Foreign Influence gets in.

I guess I just know more conservative Iranians than all you guys in this thread married to your various Tehrangeles cousins of the Shah.

my dad's a leftist lol

e: sorry he's not parroting american regime change propaganda

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

TildeATH posted:

Hella leftist if you define any of the non-economic criticism to be American propaganda.

i didn't, neither did he.

e: you can't possibly expect anyone to engage with this post in good faith

TildeATH posted:

He sounds like an old conservative douchebag with the Proud Shi’a and Those Good Revolutionaries Who Want Reform and Restrained IRGC lines. It sounds like an Iranian version of a Trump supporter who wants to make sure nothing really changes and none of that Foreign Influence gets in.

I guess I just know more conservative Iranians than all you guys in this thread married to your various Tehrangeles cousins of the Shah.

spaceships fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 2, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
eli lake, the dumb mother fucker who pushed the iraq war, is doing pretty much the same with iran, again. i cannot believe people still pay attention to him.

tu goh khordie, eli

e: *extremely netanyahu voice* eli is THREE WEEKS away from invading iran by himself

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Pharohman777 posted:

I mean, Pakistan is still keeping the Taliban around, and Obama had to send a strike team into Pakistan to take out bin laden.

Its been over 15 years since the war on terror began, I can see Trump getting mad and just cutting off the security money since it seems to be doing nothing.

lol

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Mozi posted:

I think there are so many ridiculous things happening and bad opinions flying all over the place that I'm no longer able to distinguish a joke told with a straight face from the massive pile of poo poo that's flowing over everything these days.

it owns doesnt it

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Kanine posted:

hey crazy idea but what if the united states wasn't a global capitalist empire constantly waging forever-war in the interests of the rich

wow anti-american much

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
good ol' uncle mahmoud, just out here lookin out for the little guy

e: he's been trying to position himself as a softer, kinder uncle-you-really-like-type of guy and it's hilarious

https://twitter.com/Ahmadinejad1956/status/1034414282350444544

spaceships fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 29, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i'm loving dying

https://twitter.com/Ahmadinejad1956/status/1036685396837625856

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
du du du du ru mahmoud du du du du ru mahmoud

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Saladman posted:

Is that a real account or a parody? I see the photo of him on Twitter in front of his desk (doesn't looked obviously photoshopped but it would be pretty trivial to do a good job on editing a screen) and "verified" but what does that really mean? All of his tweets are in English and probably > half are about US politics, and none of them make any loving sense for an Iranian ex-president to be talking about not to mention all of his "pro inclusiveness wokeness" messages are massively hypocritical for so many reasons, not least that he was the one who gave the loving order to block Twitter in Iran.

spaceships posted:

good ol' uncle mahmoud, just out here lookin out for the little guy

e: he's been trying to position himself as a softer, kinder uncle-you-really-like-type of guy and it's hilarious

e: no one's forgotten what a piece of poo poo he was, he's still a running joke (although hes not powerless), but ever since his (new) bid for president was blocked, and even before then, he's had this outward faux-chill thing going. no one's buying it but it's funny as hell

spaceships fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 3, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Are there posters itt suffering from the effects.of chemical weapons?

a prerequisite for posting in ME/israel-palestine threads is that you have to be monumentally retarded. even the people with decent takes.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
there's been attack against an IRGC military parade in Ahvaz

https://twitter.com/Hassanvand/status/1043395916076642307

e: 11 killed, 21 injured, 4 detained via borzou

spaceships fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 22, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
awhazi separatists took responsibility according to this
https://twitter.com/vvanwilgenburg/status/1043428788267298817

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
several people claiming only deaths were irgc and thus acceptable and justified

e: these people are all ideologues and won't add anything to the conversation

e: a four year old was killed

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
not a terrorist attack :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/abdullahawez/status/1043461656276287489

e: like i said, they're going to spin this as justified and ignore the civilian deaths

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
killing us will always be justified

e: i'm not ever going to lose sleep over dead irgc but it always seems so easy to portray dead iranians as a good thing for everyone else

spaceships fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 22, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
reza loving pahlavi condemned it as a terrorist attack
e: he offers his condolences to the armed forces and their families.

https://twitter.com/ManotoNews/status/1043510658229256192

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
https://twitter.com/Khaaasteh/status/1043451583168765952

e: iran talk breaks my brain and i'm excited to become extremely emotional and monumentally retarded

e: i apparently can't just link the last tweet

spaceships fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 22, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
11 of those boys were conscripts and were there as part of their 2-year mandatory service

spaceships fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 22, 2018

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
e: i'm actually not going to bother

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

this fucks with the regime narrative and if true, at least confirms daesh still has some capability inside iran, which no one is going to like

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
he's been a vocal critic of mbs, he wrote a pretty harsh article on mbs and the repressive nature of saudi arabia (compared to before) for wapo last year.

e: i mean it's not the first time the house of saud has dealt with critics in an, uh, unfriendly manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
uh, iran might have operatives in denmark targeting members of the ASMLA, as they have a headquarters here