Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I never had that issue with my OG sports band even after two years of wearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

birds posted:

Which watch face do y'all use? I'm using the Siri one and it's just "ok". It'd be better if it could connect to ESPN, Dark Sky, things like that.

Modular for life.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah like 95% of the time people can’t tell.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It sounds like the standalone Watch app is just garbage.

Honestly it kinda is and it doesn’t seem like they really want to invest that much into it. It works ok at best but I still have no clue why we can’t activate beacon mode from the watch directly.

I really regret giving them money for premium.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I managed to get a series 2 42mm sport for $250 a few weeks ago.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Press the side button and it should be there (the button that isn't the crown, I dunno what it's called)

Yeah thats how I get to it. Its normally like the first or second card if something is playing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Does the apple watch need a screen protector? I'm paranoid the screen is going to scratch.

If so, can anyone recommend one? Amazon reviews are hit and miss.

I had a first gen for nearly 2 years and only had minor scratches on it. That’s with working out 4 days a week and having a job that was mainly out doors.

So no it does not need one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why does the camera app on the watch suck so much rear end?

Like 50% of the time the thing doesn’t even load right. Also why can’t we use it to start a video recording?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

I kind of take back what I've said. Today I was getting a PR on my front squat and my watch called 911 during it, that was good.

I do a lot of front squats and your watch did you a favor. Work on your wrist position bro.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

My Series 0 Sport has finally reached the point where the battery won't last a whole day. Thought about setting up a battery replacement through Apple. Does anybody know if I have the option to mail it to them or do I have to make a trek to an Apple Store to get it done?

You have to go to the store but be warned my watch was doing the same thing and it came back as still in spec and they wouldn’t replace the battery.

I just ended up replacing it with a 3 and I’m happier overall.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can you turn your TV on/off with HDMI-CEC via Siri on your phone? I know when you sleep the TV you can have it turn off all connected devices which is nice

If you have an Apple TV connected via HomeKit you should be able to tell Siri to turn it on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sorry meant to post that in the Apple TV thread 🙃

Still applies! Should be able to yell at your watch to turn the drat tv on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

My wife surprised me with a late Valentine’s Day present of a space gray series 3! I picked up some fun bands and read through the thread, but sill had a question. Does anyone suggest a nice but not expensive extra charger? I would love to have a second one for travel, but do not know what to look for.

Just get the official Apple one.

I don’t even know if there are knock offs yet but IMO just get the Apple one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I’ll also mention I’ve gotten 3.5 days out of a single charge by turning it off at night.

Going to second the Apple charger.

Yes this also works. The 3 gets great battery life.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tambreet posted:

Does anyone know how the watch send SMS message? I've had a couple replies fail recently. In the first case, I was away from my phone, although both the watch and phone were on the same WiFi network. I figured the lack of direct connection was the issue though. Then today it failed again, even though both devices were next to each other and my network connection was fine. More annoyingly, it takes like a minute or two to fail out.

Yeah I’ve been having mine fail for no reason lately. Maybe it’s a bug with the current OS I dunno.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OGB posted:

My battery hasn't been lasting anywhere near as long as it used to (Series 1, about a year and change old). Literally died on me today at 4pm, after taking it off the charger at like 7:30 or so.

Unpair / Re-pair the way to go to see if that solves the issue?

Yeah maybe try a restore as well.

Also you could see if there is an app doing it just uninstall everything and go from there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

How bad are third party silicon sports bands off Amazon? I kinda want some alternate colors to mix things up every now and then, but I wonder how a $10-15 band will differ from Apple's.

I bought a few and the quality kinda varies.

2 of them started cracking after about a month but besides that the others were ok.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I got a knock off velcro one and it’s ok I guess. It feels nice but I’m just not sure how it’s gonna hold up over time.

I mean it was only $7 but still.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tonic posted:

What’s the best run tracking app that I can use on the watch sans phone ? Something that tells me if GPS is connected , tracks GPS and heart rate, etc. I’ve been using he Nike app but honestly it’s not great compared to the Garmin system I’ve used with my Forerunner in the past.

Also if the apps data is visible on the web and can be exported easily, those would be big ++.

I guess I just wish Garmin made an app for the Apple Watch using their Garmin Connect system... but I guess that would lead to fewer. Hardware sales for them :argh:

Strava

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cowofwar posted:

I got the watch for monitoring my blood sugar via cgms complication but I’m actually enjoying it for everything else. Nice to not take out your phone to check on whatever notification you received. I seem to notice the watch vibration a lot more than my phone as well.

I track my runs with strava on my phone, does the strava watch app murder the battery?

I haven’t noticed it be any worse vs say using the built in workout app.

If you have a series 3 even doing a multi hour run the battery will still last all day and then some.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, that's streaming music for sure. I'm sure if you put music on the watch, it'd make a massive difference. I just haven't bothered to do that because I like having my whole library available, and I don't run marathon distances anymore. I just get annoyed when I go for a lunch run and my watch goes down 40%. The battery is probably my biggest complaint, especially when my old Garmin can go like 3 weeks without charging. Yeah, I know the AW is doing a ton more stuff, but still, I really wish the battery life was way better.

I mean I get what you are saying it’s just not realistic and probably won’t be for years. Especially with the way battery technology is. I mean the cell radios will definitely get more efficient same with everything else but the battery in the watch is pretty drat small so it’s probably going to be years before we get multiple days out of an LTE watch.

My remark on battery life definitely was not counting on using LTE for a whole run.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tonic posted:

Thanks for the iSmoothRun recommendations, this app is great. I love how customizable it is.

Does the Apple Watch just not accurately report heart rates during exercise ? I noticed today mine jumped up over 200 and then down below 90 a bunch during my run. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Also, what app are you all using to stream music over LTE with the watch? Apple Music can sync music but I don’t see an option to stream from my watch.

Maybe wear your watch tighter? Mine does the same thing for whatever reason which is why I switched to a Polar Strap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone else had the issue where they take the watch off the dock after being on all night and its only at 93%? This has happened a few times and it seems to correct itself the next day but I'm curious if its some weird battery issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tonic posted:

How often (or when?) does the move goal update in the activity app? I’ve gone over it for the past 9 days and I was expecting it to change to make the goal more difficult.

Well it depends. If you beat it every day for 7 days (Monday - Sunday) on Monday morning it will ask you if you want to up it. If you don’t beat it on Monday morning it will suggest that you keep it the same.

It can be easy to miss the alert but it’s always Monday morning with in the first hour of putting the watch on. It gives you a weekly summary.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tonic posted:

Any tips for saving battery life on the s3 lte? A ~1hr workout using GPS today drained more than 40% of my battery for some reason. My watch is <2 weeks old.

Things I’m trying:

1) Reducing watch brightness to minimum
2) Uninstalling unused apps
3) Turning off notifications that I don’t use

Anything else? Does removing complications from my watch face matter? I had my phone with me on the run, so I’m pretty sure it’s not the LTE that’s causing the drain, but I could also try turning that off?

Ok if you had your phone with you it definitely should not be doing that. With my S3 I can run for a long rear end time and it doesn’t drop below 70%.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cowofwar posted:

I did a 1.5 hr 16k run the other day and ended at 90% on an s3 gps. Maybe it's working really hard to lock satellites?

He had his phone with him too so shouldn’t it also be using that for gps?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sure, I was very apprehensive before buying it. The seller at least has a long established selling history and has a 30 day return policy. I even checked the serial number between the physical Watch, the OS and the box. All matched up.

This is where I'm leaning. Inside was totally pristine. The loaded Watch OS was 4.0 and we're on what, 4.3 now?

Oh a joke gone horribly wrong!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of benches, this Husky is on sale today at Home Depot:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11446475-husky-extra-deep-46-in-9-drawer-mobile-workbench-248-home-depot-starts-4-5

I have this one already and love it. Super tempted to buy a second.

e: Wow, way wrong thread, but I'll leave it since it's a good deal.

Totally wrong thread but a great drat deal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nervana posted:

I was actually just looking at that. I originally thought of a dock that made the watch "hover" in a stand, but now I am thinking something like what you posted is a better idea?

I like the hover stand better personally since you can just pop it down. I mean either one works and they are both like under 10.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did they mess with nightstand mode? It seems to be way more sensitive since I updated last night.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

As far as turning on the screen to show the time? Mine's always been super sensitive. Like I cough and it activates.

Yeah mine never was but now if I walk into the room it lights up. (S3)

Not complaining at all just weird that it would start doing it all the sudden.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

The last few days, my s3 LTE hasn't charged to full overnight. The first couple nights it only charged to 97, so I rebooted it, and it charged to 98 last night. It's always charged to 100 before this. Anyone else notice this not necessarily gamebreaking but slightly off-putting issue?

Yeah I mentioned it earlier in the thread but no one said anything :shrug:

It seems to fix it self in a few days though so I dunno what it would be.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can delete messages on your phone and they'll still be on your watch

Yeah this can be an issue if you are doing some sneaky poo poo too. I wish the watch mirrored the phone..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also ordered two for traveling but haven’t gotten them yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah this. Double tap with two fingers for a kiss 💋

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

My S2 is getting progressively slower and less functional. How in the world do I fix this aside from getting a new watch? Takes a silly amount of time to do anything.

Wipe and restore. It actually helped my S0 before I got the 3.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I wonder if iCloud message sync means the messages app finally syncs with your phone?

That would be amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Can confirm, messages do not sync.

What bullshit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Mine seem to be syncing? Had to plug the phone in, but now it's syncing. And I opened message on my mac and in that account's preference, I turned on messages in the cloud and told it to sync.

Hmmm I’ll have to check it out. Probably still have to go back and delete all these old messages off the watch though which is a huge pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cool they figured out yoga tracking but really wish weight lifting was tracked better.

Oh well maybe next year.