Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Definitely gonna get my first Apple Watch! Most likely GPS, but can someone briefly explain how cellular works (at lest in the U.S.)? It's hard to get a straightforward answer since carrier websites are mostly awful and don't really provide relevant info without corralling you through the entire purchase process. Like would I just be paying Verizon an extra :10bux:/month or what?

For those who have used cellular, did you find it worthwhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can transfer media to your watch but it's dog slow and doesn't always work. So yeah, if you're going to be without your phone a lot and still want connectivity then LTE is the way to go.

I'll try and transfer a podcast and it won't do anything for 2 days and then all of a sudden it's on the Watch. Maybe others have better luck.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pretty much just the extra a month. Its usefulness will depend on how often you're not with your phone.
Good points, thanks. Do the various running apps work well enough without cellular? Also I'd like to be able to use Apple Pay without my phone on me. I'll be listening to music but only via local storage, so streaming isn't a concern.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can use Apple Pay without your phone on any new Watch. You need to passcode protect your watch, but you only have to unlock it when you first put the watch on. It's weird voodoo magic but it works.

Running apps work fine too. Personally I enjoy being able to leave my phone behind and not get bothered as long as the media I want actually loads onto the watch.
Oh that's great to hear. And hey maybe that new compass will make the GPS-only run tracking even better. In any case I'm leaning strongly towards GPS-only then, thanks!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
e: wrong thread

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is a basic sport band is best option if I plan to exercise a lot with the watch? Milanese loop looks dope but I'm assuming it's not ideal for running and all that

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
sport loop looks like it would smell like sweat after awhile??
c/d

my initial impression is that the sport band is a nice compromise between being good for exercise and still looking like a "regular" watch band. but these recommendations are much appreciated!

also hadn't thought about aliexpress et al, i guess these bands aren't exactly a commitment huh

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What’s the conventional wisdom regarding 40mm vs 44mm anyway? Is it just a fit for smaller vs bigger hands? Or is it more the type of thing where some people just choose to pay more for a slightly bigger screen? I’m a goon with no knowledge of watch fashion so genuinely curious.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ha I had a feeling it was kind of a silly question, but also kind of worthy of discussion, so thanks for the input everyone! Guess I'll just see what I like on my wrist more... slightly bigger screen is nice but perhaps a smaller "wearable" will feel less intrusive. Until I get to the store I could see it going either way!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So the series 5 has 32GB storage; has there been any word on how much can be allocated to local music? Apparently the s4 allowed 2GB out of its 8GB total.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah my 5 battery still sucks. My wife put her 2-year old 3 on the same time in the morning as my 5 and she’s at 85% at 4pm vs my 55%. A few % would be fine, but 30% difference is crazy.

Definitely going to take this in.
Another anecdote: put my fully-charged Series 5 on at around 8am this morning. On my way home from work around 5:30 I got the low power alert. Shortly after I got home (as I was attempting to check the Noise app) the battery died!

I was using my phone at work all day and downloading tons of stuff (new 11 Pro) but that shouldn't have affected the watch's life right?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

savesthedayrocks posted:

There is, it’s only on certain faces though. Utility is one off the top of my head. It needs a lot of room to display.
Oh wow that's my kinda poo poo. Thanks!

What's crazy is how the Now Playing stuff even reflects what's on the Apple TV if you have one of those. A real :aaaaa: moment first time I saw that. The future is now baby.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've been rinsing my watch here and there when I wash my hands, is it cool to just go all the way with some sudzed up soap or is that a bad idea? I know it's waterproof but no idea how soapproof this thing is.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Krakkles posted:

Apple says no soap, I'd go with that.
Ah, should've figured there'd be some formal documentation for that, thanks!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I can’t see the data source toggles for the Siri face, did the last update break something? I just restarted my phone and watch and still nothing:

edit: never mind, did some searching and the Siri toggles are in the "Clock" settings for some reason. Thanks Apple! :downs:

Minidust fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 11, 2019

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a way for the Outlook complication to update itself more proactively? Seems like it doesn't stay current unless I actually open the calendar on my phone.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Protocol7 posted:

I ended up just syncing my Outlook calendar with Calendar.app and not dealing with Outlook calendar stuff on the watch at all.
I'd love to do it this way, but the company specifically prefers for us to use the Outlook app rather than adding the work account to our phone on the OS level.

Sucks because now it seems the complication has stopped working altogether! The app itself works, as I can click on the complication and it shows calendar events for today. But then on the face it's back to "No Upcoming Events"

ninja edit: and as I type this it starts working again, huh

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
5 is my first watch so i have nothing to compare it to. but the battery seems pretty great. only time it drained prematurely was my first full day of using it, when I was downloading a ton of stuff to my new phone. I never really see the 10% warning unless I like fall asleep on the couch and then stumble to bed at 5am, and that's a ~20hr cycle at that point. I haven't messed with the default AOD settings at all. Basically the battery is good enough that I don't have to think about it, which is all I can ask for in a battery really.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I bought a 5 a few days ago (the 40mm). It's great. I was considering a 4 because I was worried about the battery drain from the always on screen. I heard the battery life improved with OS 6.1 though.

Day 1 with 6.0 installed: ~16 hours. Not good.
Day 2 with 6.1 installed: ~25+ hours. I woke up 16 hours ago and it's sitting at 36%. I bet I could sleep with it on and make it close to 30 hours, but I'm going to charge it so I guess I'll never know. Over a day is good enough for me.

I had a 2 that I only used for workouts before, but I'm planning to wear this full time. I like the big screen. It's more expensive than it should be but I'm glad I got it.
I had the same experience with Day 1 vs. Day 2. Apparently there's a lot of background syncing with your phone after the initial setup, so I guess it's pretty normal! On a regular day I'll dip just barely below 40% at bedtime, and I've never adjusted the Always On Display settings, :feelsgood:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
whoa, I had no idea you could double-click the side button to jump straight to Apple Pay. And here I was wishing for a Wallet complication like a simpleton.

old news to most I'm sure, but worth mentioning for fellow watch noobs!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The thing for me with the Siri face is that I am LESS likely to want to play a song/album etc if I have just played it recently. So the way it recommends stuff just kind of gets annoying.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I might have gotten a tiny nick on my screen since my quartz kitchen countertops are like the exact same height as my wrists and I always manage to accidentally smash the watch into them. I could probably just buff it out though. It seems pretty strong.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just got a warranty replacement for my S5 and paired it. Didn't realize at the time that I was setting it up as a new watch. Is there still a way to restore to the watch backup from before I sent it in? No biggie if that ship has sailed... there's not much for me to "lose" really, outside of a few custom faces I'll have to reconfigure.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thread-recommended tips for scratches? Got a full replacement under warranty (bad crown) like a week ago, and managed to scratch the poo poo out of the new one on a kitchen countertop just now :(. I see lots of talk about this GLAZ stuff and like toothpaste online, wondering what people in here have experienced

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Yeast posted:

depends if its aluminium, stainless steel, ceramic or titanium

Aluminum, but it’s the screen that’s scratched which I shoulda specified!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I often use the watch as playback controls for podcasts on my phone, but like 99% of the time it tries to play what is locally stored on the watch and prompts me to connect Airpods. Is there any setting to make it default to phone playback? Or to just have it ignore local media if there's no audio device connected? This has gotta be the jankiest Apple thing I encounter on a regular basis.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
did they recently change how the always-on display works? I thought it would stay dimmed until I raised my wrist, but lately it's more of a blurring effect.

huh and right as I type this post, I see it's back to the dimming I remember. Maybe one of those settings that tends to get accidentally triggered while I'm washing my hands? (I get accidental "theater mode" all the time)

edit: ha, and now that I'm listening to music the blurring is back. I guess it has something to do with currently running apps?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 24, 2023

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Pants Donkey posted:

Most apps will blur so people can’t read off your watch. This more or less applies to anything that could be considered private, so text messages, workouts, music, and basically everything except the watch face.
ah that makes sense, thanks!

eightysixed posted:

How is that even possible? What were you doing :2monocle:
maybe washing my hands wrong?? ha I dunno, it's usualliy either theater mode, the weather clock thing, or podcast playback getting sped up (granted the latter 2 make more sense since they'd have controls on the main screen at the time)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there any podcast apps that work especially well with the watch? Overcast seems to be the go-to for iOS, but it seems to lose "Now Playing" focus pretty quickly, so I'm fiddling with buttons more often than I'd like (although I suppose that might be a system-level limitation? I'm on a 2019 model). Pocketcasts doesn't appear to let me browse what I've got on the phone.

I would have been fine with the default podcasts app, but it aggressively Airplays to the Apple TVs in the house (even with "Automatically AirPlay to TVs" toggled off). That's been enough of a pain that I'm willing to put up with whatever shortcomings a third-party app might have!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Endless Mike posted:

Marco Arment (the creator of Overcast) has talked a lot about the challenges involved in making a Watch audio app, and honestly, it just sounds like a deliberate limitation of the device, unfortunately. Like most decisions for the Apple Watch, Apple seems keen to intentionally hamstring things if it will save battery.
Battery! Yeah I suppose I can see some logic there

Violator posted:

I use PocketCasts as my daily podcast app and enjoy it. I use it everyday on my Watch and you can do a lot with it. Tap the upper left arrow to go back to the Play Source screen, select Phone, and then you can browse the Up Next queue, Filters, Downloads, and Files that are on your phone. I have filters setup by topic using auto-downloads so that is how I browse what to play instead of on a per-podcast basis. The Watch app may require a subscription to their PocketCasts Plus, so these functions may not be available in the free version.
Thanks, turns out I can watch-browse in the free version after all! The rest of the podcasts show up if I go to "Filters"... a bit unintuitive, but it'll do (I'd imagine there's some advanced filter customization as a paid benefit)

The Grumbles posted:

Spotify works really well on Apple Watch, and saves your progress in each podcast across all devices. I find it much better for music than the default media app on the watch too - you don't have to go through the convoluted process of opening up the 'iphone' version of your library, it's all just there.
oooooh you just articulated the second-most annoying part of my podcast experience. And it repurposes a barely-used app already on my phone! Could have a winner here, I'll definitely be giving it a shot!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
my watch never makes it though the day anymore unless I switch to Low Power Mode. Is there any way to just toggle that on indefinitely? It's annoying when I forget to turn it on in the morning and then I'm already down to like 60% at lunchtime.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

eightysixed posted:

Just curious, what model? My S7 seems to be dying quicker too.
Series 5, non-GPS, small version. Battery capacity is labeled "signifcantly reduced" at 78%!

Phone's in bad shape too, "significantly degraded," also at 78%. An 11 Pro, same deal where it doesn't make it through the day unless I'm on Low Power Mode. Both purchased new in 2019!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Zwille posted:

That’s four years, come on. I’m over the moon my 12 Pro is still going okay (and deffo needs a recharge over the day) and frankly I’m surprised it’s still working nicely and responsively 3 years in.

Also 78% battery is grounds for replacement afaik, that should give them another lease on life if you’re adamant about not upgrading.
ha yeah I'm not outraged or anything, this is literally the longest period of time I've ever owned a phone. and I'd expect less from a watch.

Out-of-warranty battery replacement is $90 for a phone right, is it the same for a watch?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thoughts on going from a 40mm watch to a 45mm? +$30 for a bigger screen seems like a good deal, but I'm wondering if it'd feel clumsy or awkward with my average-sized wrists/hands. fwiw I've been on a Series 5 til now; mainly interested in an upgrade because the battery is shot and not sure if it's worth putting $100 into the old hardware at this point.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Nothing will beat trying one on in person, if you're able to do that. I was debating the same thing and after trying one on, I decided I wouldn't like a 45mm with my wrist size/where I'd want to wear the watch.

Also, bring a long sleeve shirt or jacket to wear when you try it on with. It can affect where you'd like your watch to sit, and what size watch you'd like.
good call, in a lot of ways it is a fashion choice more than anything. might as well be asking goons to pick out an outfit. I'll make a point of checking out a nearby Apple Store soon, thanks!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
speaking of trade-ins, are you able to do it in person at an Apple store and see how much credit you get immediately? or it is always a mail-away deal with some suspense involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
that is perfect then, thanks! seems logical, but even the Apple Store app funnels you into the mail-away thing, had me worried it was the only option