Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m thinking about picking up a series 4 when they go on sale after Christmas. Would I be missing out on much between 4 and 5?

Does anyone here regularly swim/surf with theirs? Really keen to track exercise stats when I surf but am a little worried about damaging or loosing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hmm I just ordered some screen protectors (just film type ones I think). I can’t see a downside to that?

I’m mainly thinking of when I go surfing I don’t want any sand getting stuck between my wetsuit and the watch face.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I shower daily with my watch on. No issues with my 3 over 2 years, nor with my 5.

Why would you do this? I mean, water-resistance issues aside (great to hear it has been OK), you would have to take it off to dry your wrist and watch anyway? :confused:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does the watch track all the stats when locked?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m surprised it isn’t obvious that locking your devices is a good idea. It’s not like anyone plans to get robbed etc.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SeANMcBAY posted:

What country do you live in that has zero crime?

That’s what I was thinking. Also even just being dumb and taking your watch off and forgetting it somewhere is very possible.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

Personally, I take it off to shower and then I put it on and need to unlock it. I don’t have my phone on me then. Is that so uncommon a case?

Nah this is me too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

101 posted:

The solution to this is just to wear it in the shower

But as I mentioned last page, you gotta dry you wrist anyway so...:colbert:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have some questions: I guess Apple lightened up on allowing third party alarm apps at some point? Do these work if you don’t wear your watch to bed? If so, are they still worth it?

I still miss my gradual alarm and ability to tweak the snooze timer from Android days.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wow. Pretty over the top reaction to a simple question.

Screen protector recommendations, or are they all the same? I got a pack of 6 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCNHYGW/

First couple lasted a few months til they started bubbling up and peeling, but the last 3 or so have only lasted a week or two. I’m sure working out and running a lot doesn’t help much, but was just curious if there was a goon recommended one.

I have the IQ shield one and it’s OK. Looks good and feels fine. Only downside is that it doesn’t fit the entire watch and you’ll probably have to change it out every few months as they kind of wear out.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was talking about screen protectors and making fun of this dude’s comment:

But yeah, nobody should be holding onto their Series 3 like it’s a vintage Rolex. Although I actually tend to baby my tech poo poo and not physically damage it as much/quickly as most other people I know. Like out of everyone I know I’m probably the most likely to ever be in a position to have poo poo worthy of handing down, even when it’s old.

Who said anyone thought of an AW like a Rolex? Cool projection.

Also lol at worrying about the waste of screen protectors and then talking about swapping out your AW every year.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

The stand goal is bullshit anyway.

I got up today and was walking around for a good 15 min doing house stuff and it didn’t trigger the stand for the hour till I stood in one place.

Fucker.

Yeah mine does this a bit. You can game it by gently swinging your arms like 20 times, almost always triggers it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SeANMcBAY posted:

The stand reminders may be my favorite thing about the Apple Watch as someone who works sitting down and games a lot.

Yeah it’s actually really good for this. I kind of wish you could tweak it though so it reminds you to stand every 30 minutes but then you still get the credit each hour or something.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

Are workout maps working for anyone with iOS 14? It’s completely broken for me, just showing the starting point, and it seems like the workouts don’t even have the GPS info that I normally can export to Strava.

Yep I also have this it turns out.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

The delete everything and restore from backups did fix my subsequent run today and it has a map, so that is nice.

OTOH, all the old workouts are still missing the location data but hours later it still says it is restoring the Activity from iCloud so fingers crossed.

Keep me updated. I’ll need to do this this weekend.

Although looking at that article it mentions you should do that if you have two or more of the listed issues. I only have the GPS one... oh wait, Health was sucking down battery the last few days on my iPhone so I guess that counts as two.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know how to stop zombie meeting change notifications? I have my work Exchange account linked to my iPhone calendar to give me notifications on my watch. A couple of meetings have had the details change and I’ve accepted those but they keep notifying me at least once a day. I’ve had it happen before but I can’t remember how I fixed it.

I’ve tried to the reset button but that didn’t seem to work.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone know how to stop zombie meeting change notifications? I have my work Exchange account linked to my iPhone calendar to give me notifications on my watch. A couple of meetings have had the details change and I’ve accepted those but they keep notifying me at least once a day. I’ve had it happen before but I can’t remember how I fixed it.

I’ve tried to the reset button but that didn’t seem to work.

Sorry to quote my own post. Any ideas on this?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Violator posted:

I had missing map workout data when I updated to iOS14 I think it was. I followed Apple’s instructions for wiping the watch and phone and that fixed it. I assumed I was just missing map data for the week or so between the update and fixing it and that data was lost because it recorded it wrong. But I now realize I’m missing all map data from all of my workouts ever. LOL like five years of map data is just gone. I guess it doesn’t really matter because I rarely looked at it but drat I hate losing data.

This was exactly my experience and I assumed the same. But checking, yeah all maps workout data is gone back to December last year when I got the watch...

Thankfully third party stuff (which I care about more) seems OK.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Did the handwashing detection get worse lately? It was always pretty jank but now it only seems to kick in 3/4 of the way in and then scolds me for not doing an additional 20 seconds. If it registers at all that is.

It used to be pretty good back when it did the thumbs up at the end. Now it says some words and it sucks.

Possibly? It is pretty annoying when it gives you this rant about washing your hands for 20 seconds when it hasn’t detected properly.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

It was really hardcore before you could change the stand or exercise goals. Makes me wonder, has anyone increased those?

gently caress I didn’t know you could change stand and exercise! Oh well, still closing those loving rings. I’m almost at a year.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Strong is great! Some issues currently with AW syncing but they are aware of it and working towards a complete overhaul.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Krispy Wafer posted:

Does anyone know how the Apple Watch calculates 'exercise'? Up until this week if I walked outside for 30 minutes, I got 30 minutes of exercise credit and closed my ring. Now I get 3 minutes. I reset the calibration today and no difference.

The best I've been able to find online is that the Watch may only count activity that's at least 75% of your upper heart rate. My other exercise lately has been splitting wood as Mixed Cardio. I don't think I can hit 75% of that heart rate just walking outdoors.

Stand recognition is there solely to piss you off I think. I stand most of the day and I'm always struggling to close that ring. I haven't noticed it getting any worse than it's always been.

For Exercise minutes to count they need to be close to your Walking Heart Rate Average I believe. Probably at least 75% of as you say. That’s why you need to calibrate the watch by doing a 20 minute walk. I find if I walk with my partner I only get 50-75% of the minutes compared to walking by myself as we walk slower so my HR doesn’t get up enough.

Stand hours are named badly. It’s actually more like Move minutes in that you need to stand up and walk like 30 steps for it to register. You can game these by standing and swinging your arms about 30 times though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is anyone’s time in bed showing as less than their time asleep? Mine is by about 45 mins. Doing some searching this seems to be a bug bug Apple hasn’t acknowledged it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I surf with my watch all the time, no issues. Just need to soak it in warm water after and press the buttons to ensure no salt builds up.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lol I got the unity challenge badge on February 1st even though 7 days hasn’t even passed.

Yeah same. Wondered if it just meant you had to close it in Feb.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone noticed the Apple sleep tracking using more battery than before? I swear it used to use about 10-15% overnight but the last couple of days it seems to be draining at the same rate as my use during the day.

I’ve turned it off and back on, anything else to check?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Second this. My watch was absolutely chewing through my battery following the last update and couldn't even make it past the afternoon. Reboot fixed it.

Do you mean just turning it off and back on? As I tried that but also the hold both buttons until Apple logo thing. Gone from 75% to 11% in 11.5 hours but I did the hard reset at midday so will check tomorrow after a full charge.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Snuffman posted:

Close all 3 rings for 30 days. I was already going for a perfect month so why not? :shrug:

Yeah this is me too. :getin:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PatrickBateman posted:

Anyone else experience where the stocks complication stops updating? Any ideas?

Stop hallucinating about murder and perhaps it might start working?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone know why my FaceID unlock is not working when wearing a mask now? Was working fine two days ago.

After rebooting my phone and watch it worked to unlock the phone at first but wouldn’t open any other things and then stopped altogether.

I tried turning it on and off in the phone and watch as well. I’ve also yet to update the watch to 7.5 yet, not sure if it’s that.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

The “it looks like you are doing a swimming workout” prompt is pretty amazing, except how you can’t press the button to start the workout when the screen is wet.

I surf with my watch and use an app to track it as exercise and stats. It loving sucks every time I get out of the water and spend ages trying to blow my finger and watch dry to end the drat session. :argh:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zwille posted:

„Hey Siri end workout“?

Also for the automatic start, doesn’t it start it anyway if you ignore the prompt, recording all along? I haven’t used the auto start feature in forever because it’d always trigger for walks or stuff I don’t track

Does this work with third party apps?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

illcendiary posted:

It’s a really good app and definitely my most used app on the watch, but it’s extremely buggy/temperamental. Every workout I have several issues with timer on the watch syncing with the phone, the timer starting and then immediately zeroing out, etc. Been a problem for a while too.

Yep agreed! Great app but their Apple Watch part is buggy and they never seem to fix it. Updating/fixing it is on their roadmap but has been for like over 12 months.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice bedside stand that can charge my watch (using the charger that comes with it is fine) and also my xr wirelessly? There was a nice Belkin one that seemed to do this but it looks like they stopped making it?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m a bit confused about Focus. The watch is supposed to reflect the phone right?

So I have Focus to turn on for exercise when I use Strong app, but off when I use the workout app. However it only seems to turn on when I’m using Strong on my phone actively, so when I lock my phone it turns off the Focus on my watch too. It wasn’t working like this before I don’t think, is that right?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Skeezy posted:

The new Belkin 3 in 1’s include fast charging for the 7 series now. They also have a new watch only charger that fast charges https://www.belkin.com/us/chargers/wireless/boost-charge-pro-portable-fast-charger-for-apple-watch/p/p-wiz015/

Yeah I just bought this but….it won’t be here for another month. So I’ll let you know then i guess :negative:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

kefkafloyd posted:

Once the escalating monthly goals got too much, I just ignored them. My goal is to set a reasonable move value and close all three rings every day. 600 cals move, 30 mins exercise (which I usually do 45 minutes of a walk or ring fit, or half an hour of exercise bike) and the 12 hour stand.

I wish Apple would allow people to schedule rest days or more “focused” days (e.g. some days have higher ring goals than others).

The point of a workout regime is to (IMO) do something that you can stick to on a routine basis. Challenging yourself is fine, but don’t set yourself up to fail. A goal like that is setting you up to fail. So just tell the watch to gently caress off and just complete your rings, because that’s really more important (IMO).

I agree. Would be nice to have some carry over so it looks at your week rather than day to day.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Went for a couple of scuba dives today and obviously didn’t take my watch. Is there anyway to get some Move credit for this?

It should be around 2.5k kj which is significant but adding manual data to the Activity section on the Health app didn’t add to Move.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Actually you can manually add a workout (I chose Other) and it does give you credit and even exercise minutes. Just takes like ~30mins to sync up.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of battery charging. I still haven’t found a way to get the watch to tell me the status of my phone battery. Anyone know how?

I often have my phone charging in another room so would be handy to be able to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

There’s a battery widget that will show your watch battery on your phone.

Oh yeah I’ve got that but I wanted the opposite. I want to see my phone battery from my watch.