Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any tips for upgrading to a new Watch? I have a bunch of gift cards I'm going to redeem and upgrade from my S0 to S3 LTE. Do I just unpair my current Watch and then pair the new one? My biggest concern is losing my health data, but I guess that's all on my phone and not the watch itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Welp, I bit the bullet and bought a new series 3 to replace my series 0. It’s so much faster. Worthwhile upgrade for sure.

I just did the same thing yesterday evening. I went with the non-LTE version since I always have my phone on me. I knew it would be faster and really appreciate that, but I forgot about things like the brighter screen that make the device better overall without being "Holy cow!" features. I don't know if the sport bands feel more tacky with age and my old S0 bands are just worn, but this new sport band is a lot softer and more comfortable.

I also ordered some of the cheap bands previously recommended in the thread off Amazon to go with the new watch, but I'm not terribly impressed with their band connectors. I feel like they don't slide in as well as Apple's and the first time I tried them out I was afraid I might scratch the Watch since they aren't very smooth. I guess that's what you get when you buy an $8 version of a $149 band.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Argh. Ever since the latest watchOS update Siri always verbally responds when I invoke it on the Watch even if I have it set not to.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I just discovered that if the screen is off then turning the crown will wake the screen up by brightening it up from 0%. And if you are in Theater Mode then turning the crown will raise the brightness and wherever you stop is how bright the screen is while you use the watch. Pretty neat.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I tried pairing my Wahoo Tickr chest strap heart rate monitor with my Watch. I checked it several times during my jog to see if it was working right and each time the Bluetooth said it wasn’t connected. But when I checked my stats after the run it says the Tickr was the device providing the heart rate information. So I guess it works and the Watch isn’t correctly reporting that it’s connected?

I usually pair the strap to my phone but wanted to try without it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Looks like the Watch now (finally) respects voice feedback settings. I have voice feedback turned off so it was super annoying that every time I asked Siri to do something she would reply with what felt like 5 second quip when she shouldn't have. >:( I don't know if it was from a recent update, something pushed down via the server, or something finally fixed itself on my setup but I'm happy.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm still on a S0, and probably will be until it decides to stop working, or ios doesn't support the version of watchos it's now stuck on. I really have no clue what a killer feature that would make me want to upgrade would be.

Speed! I used a S0 until I happened to be able to upgrade to a S3 for a great deal and I couldn’t believe how much better the experience is with the faster watch. I can’t overstate how much better watchOS is when everything launches almost instantly.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

I mean if you upgrade to the new watchOS you can configure that bizarrely busy face for your S3 if you wanted anyway right?

I bet there are going to be a bunch of new watch faces for the new larger screen only to sell that as a major feature.

Violator
May 15, 2003

So in consideration for those with older watches thinking about upgrading, how bad are the LTE fees on ATT (or I guess any carrier)? The plan is $10 a month + like $5 in taxes and fees? Total about $15 a month? That seems super excessive for internet on a watch. :arghfist:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Apple Watch Series 0 has a $25 trade in value. :(
Apple Watch Series 3 non-LTE is $175. Aluminum models.

Violator fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 12, 2018

Violator
May 15, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone else have the issue where the install fails to verify?

Reboot your watch and phone. I had the same issue and it failed three times to install. Rebooted and everything worked.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Managed to get my watch updated in time to go for a run.

I like the new rolling pace but with five bits of info on the screen they’re looking a bit small on the screen of my 42mm watch - especially when trying to read when running.

Would be nice if they got rid of the unnecessary time and workout icon and expanded everything to fit the space.

I think you can modify what data gets displayed, but I don’t remember how.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Do I remember right that they said the S4 is supposed to be twice as fast as the S3?

Violator
May 15, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Walkie talkie is a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping it'd be more like Voxer where it'd queue up the received messages and you could review them at leisure or if you missed what they said. It's literally a walkie talkie, with no 2018 benefits other than range not being an issue.

Plus, unless I want messages to come in when I'm at work I have to manually check available on and off. Just doesn't seem very well thought. Doing a voxer so it was asynchronous but fast enough to feel like real time would have been the best IMO.

Isn’t that basically iMessage Audio messages? But no one uses it?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Got my S4. Definitely big jump - everything loads so fast now.

Also digging the flatter and larger screen.

What’d you have before? Can’t remember if you mentioned it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I knew I was sitting at my desk working too much when my monthly goal was to meet my daily move goal for like two days in a month. :gonk:

Violator
May 15, 2003

I love wireless charging on the phone, but it doesn’t seem like it would work on the watch very well. Because of how most bands are either either pretty rigid or fully connected as a complete circle it seems like the back of the watch won’t sit flush with a charging pad very well? Like if I take my watch off and lay it flat with the default rubbery band (forgot the fancy name for it) the back of the watch sits like 1/8 an inch off the surface of the table. And it wouldn’t work at all with the fancy leather or metal bands that you would have to take off the watch every night just to charge it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Double post.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

My watch no longer shows what is playing, nor controls when I use Overcast. Any ideas? Even when I open it it says nothing is playing and then crashes?

Did you try rebooting it and or your phone? I think I had that happen and rebooting fixed it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

At minimum, an $80 accident deductible if you bought AppleCare. Probably best to call it a character mark and ignore it.

Yeah. If you haven’t worn a watch in a while and started wearing one with the Apple Watch then wear this scratched one for a while to get used to it before you have it fixed. You only get two replacements if I remember with AppleCare so make them count.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you show up without an appointment then what they will have you do is walk over to one of their MacBooks on display and show you how to book an appointment.

Gosh dang I hate the Apple store now. On one of my trips to have something serviced I was told to stand at the corner of a table after checking in. Then I had another employee raise his voice at me because I was standing at the wrong corner of the table. How the hell was I supposed to know? Everyone is standing around like idiots waiting for service.

At least now it seems like they funnel service appointments into the center mass of terrible bean bag things and wood boxes and sales to the outer tables.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I thought the Watch automatically jump on WiFi if the phone wasn’t around, but I was noodling around in the Watch’s settings app and found that no WiFi network was selected. Once I tapped one and entered my password via finger drawing, it now joins wifi by itself and says it’ll work without the phone nearby.

You may want to check the Watch’s settings app and make sure you have a network selecting just in case.

Violator
May 15, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I also replaced my zero with a 4 and I love it. It’s so quick and useful.

I kinda feel like people who get the Watch nowadays don’t understand how good they are compared to what they were. I went from a 0 to a 3 and it was night and day. You get a Watch now and it’s as fast and useful as you would expect, but the first five years or whatever just weren’t very good overall.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Has cellular pricing gotten any better? When the S3 came out it was like $15 per month on ATT after fees and taxes which I refuse to do on principle. Have things gotten better since then?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lmao why the gently caress do people still have ATT in 2019

Yeah, with my family's work discount ATT is $20 cheaper per month than t-mobile, has generally better coverage in my area, and with rollover I typically have about 16 gigs of data at any point that I never use because my life is covered by wifi. I do very much respect what t-mobile does now, and might actually look into switching since they say they'll match discounts.

Violator
May 15, 2003

redeyes posted:

Yes I need a watch to tell me if I feel energetic and good.

That’s my secret, redeyes, I always feel like dog poo poo.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I don’t think you can, I think that’s there so you can see what the other person sees of you. I have it too.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, they’re too scared of their numbers dropping to not release a new model even if it’s a modest upgrade and name change.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's an artificial sapphire. YMMV of course, but the SS versions are very very durable. I rocked a S0 until I upgraded to a 4 and it was in near mint condition.

Holy cow that must have been quite the upgrade for you.

Edit: I went from 0 to 3 and was super impressed, the 4 must have been amazing.

Violator
May 15, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Never had an Apple Watch. Thinking about grabbing a series 3 for swimming and general health tracking. A good buy now that they are cheap?

Yeah, I’m still using a series 3 and plan on sticking with it. It’s the first model that felt fast enough where everything almost always feels snappy. Swimming, health tracking, and general notifications/quick actions should be great for a long time to come.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

well I did it

That looks super nice.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The Apple Store App also lets you see actual sizes, but I don't think it's as useful as actually trying them on.

They should do AR and let you see it on your wrist.

Violator
May 15, 2003

obi_ant posted:

This is bullshit! I can't even add it to my complications or my drop down menu. I have to look for the actual app.

You can add it as a favorite app in the dock?

Violator
May 15, 2003

hadji murad posted:

How do you download podcasts to the watch via Pocket Casts? There’s a section that says Downloads but it appears it does nothing.

You can't download podcasts directly to the Watch using PocketCasts yet. From their site:

quote:

Quickly change volume, skip ahead or find something else to listen to straight from your Apple Watch.

The Downloads section in the phone app and Watch app is just listing files downloaded to your phone. Hopefully they add it soon. :O

Edit: Yeah, just double checked, consider the Watch app a remote control for the phone app that you have to have near by.

Violator
May 15, 2003

It's a shame the releases this year were buggy, but I'm super happy that they're pushing out a steady stream of updates.

I've always hoped they would do more incremental updates. I really hate when a bug or feature isn't fixed/updated and then in June or September you have to resign yourself to "Oh well, maybe next year."

Violator
May 15, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

So the AOD just...uses a decent amount of power, I guess? I can still sleep track and last nearly to the end of the day, so I guess it’s still good enough.

I just have a Series 3 so I don’t have AOD but this is my impression. I think you’re not supposed to expect multi-day battery life any more with AOD, but it should work if you charge it every night or so. I would imagine this is the normal use case and considered a fair trade-off for most people?

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’m not hot on sleep tracking, but having the Watch wake me up by gently tapping my wrist seems like it would be nice. I hate alarms.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Drafts let’s you transcribe voice into text. Pressing the complication starts the voice recording immediately so I’ve been using that. It doesn’t save audio and it creates a new note every time instead of appending. On iOS and now macOS Drafts is insanely powerful and you could set up a workflow (with either the built in actions or go all out with JavaScript) to combine all your notes if you want.

+1. Drafts is super awesome and changed the way I use my phone. Being able to open the app and have it open instantly and ready to type is huge once you get used to it. The watch integration is awesome and the Mac app is super handy.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Get a case or screen protector if it reduces the stress about wearing the watch. Doesn't hurt anyone and at worst looks a little goofy, but people wear other watches that look even goofier by themselves.

But just keep in mind that if something happens that will really damage the watch or cause big visual physical problems, a case or screen protector likely isn't going to protect it. The watch has been designed to withstand everyday abuse (hitting walls, hitting door handles, having your hand outside your window while driving, banging against tables, etc.). If you don't wear a watch often, you're likely going to smash it against all sorts of stuff and freak out and check out every millimeter of it for scratches and you'll discover that it's fine every time. You might get some tiny scratches here and there that you have to get really up close to notice but you won't actually break it.

When I broke my watch, I was crawling around on the ground at work and rubbed the screen on concrete. For what I did a screen protector wouldn't have helped me because I would have likely torn through that as well. But I would have likely tore up any watch I would have been wearing, and so I had to learn to wear a watch again. That was like 3 years ago and I haven't damaged it since getting it replaced by AppleCare because I'm naturally more careful now.

So if it makes you feel good, put that stuff on it for the first 3 months and then take it off once you get used to wearing it every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’m finally getting the hang of Raise To Speak. It’s still the drizzling shits most of the time on my S3 but my wife’s S4 is much better. I’m guessing the faster processor and probably a better microphone helps a ton. I like it because without having to say “Hey Siri” it avoids triggering a whole bunch of other devices nearby.