Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Turnquiet posted:

If I buy a discounted S2, will I hate myself for not getting apple care? I figure this thing at 280 is disposable w/in 3 years anyway, and I feel like my Amex card's free 2x manufacturer warranty would handle anomalies.

It’s durable enough that I don’t think it’s really worth it but it’s only $50 so if it’ll make you feel comfortable then go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Or just use the stock weather app. It’s always been accurate for me and naturally works well on watch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How’d you scratch it? Not trying to be snarky, just curious.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

watchOS 5 won’t support the first gen Apple Watch.:smith:

Guess it’s finally time for me to update. When are the series 4 watches expected?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Finally upgraded to an S4 from an S0 and holy poo poo, what a massive difference. I really want to try the EKG feature and hope it won’t be too long.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 22, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The whole use Siri without saying hey siri is currently not great and rarely works which makes me sad.

You need to hold it up pretty close to your mouth for it to work without saying Hey Siri.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What are some recommend apps/games these days? I actually find myself wanting to open apps now since they don’t take days to load.

Is there a good Twitter watch app? I’m still pretty mad the official one pulled support

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 23, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m starting to think the 44mm Watch may be a bit too big for me but the 40mm also seems too small.:bang:

Has anyone gone from a pre-S4 42 down to 40? If so, satisfied? Wondering if I should maybe do an exchange.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 25, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nerox posted:

Anyone else have an issue where their watch doesn't update the date on the watchface until later in the day?

Today my watch told me it was the 26th until about 10am.

Never had that problem even on my aging S0. Maybe do a restore?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any tips on troubleshooting occasional rapid battery drain? I have it happen once but Mrs Mango has her watch go to <10% by the afternoon (doing nothing out of the ordinary, not even a workout) at least once a month. Rebooting it helps sometimes but it’s really random and frustrating.

How old is her watch?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Series 3 with cellular. Hasn’t upgraded to OS5 yet. Charges every or every other night, she usually gets two days with room to spare. She mostly uses it for notifications so it doesn’t get heavy use.

Maybe try upgrading to 5 and see how it goes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I’m weak willed and switched from a 42mm S3 to a 40mm S4 while checking them out since they had 1 left in stock. The bigger display on a smaller frame is really loving awesome, the dumb rear end watch face with 8 complications is cool and everything is even faster compared to the already fast S3.

Gotta call T-Mobile now to cancel the old watch line since apparently there isn’t a seamless watch to transfer the service from one watch to the other because of the esim cards?

How’s it compare size wise for you?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Got my new SSB and holy moley this thing is beautiful and fast. I think this is the version where everything has been figured out and they’ve been able to execute what they envisioned for the Watch all along.

My only complaint is that the watch doesn’t come in a fancy plastic box like my S0 did.

First gen Apple products always get the fanciest packages. I noticed they also greatly reduced the charger cord length from my S0 one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

64bit_Dophins posted:

The Series 4 is making me consider getting an iPhone but sadly I can not afford one :(

Get an SE. You can find them for pretty drat cheap and it’s still a capable phone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

After wearing a Milanese loop for a week, putting back on the sport band feels so satisfying. It’s not that the Milanese loop is uncomfortable but the watch with the sport band is easily the most comfortable watch I’ve ever worn.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m not a large guy so I was kinda worried 44mm may be too big for me but it looks virtually indistinguishable from the older 42mm watches.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LODGE NORTH posted:

3rd party complications can only refresh every 15 or 90 minutes. Some lesser known apps get around this by using the Calendar complication to push events since that can be updated at any time.

That’s pretty poo poo. Hopefully watchOS 6 opens that up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

When is the update to enable the EKG supposed to be out? It’s weird the main feature of the series 4 isn’t working yet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingKapalone posted:

It's going to be $200 at Target. Is the S4 twice as good? Need to decide too, but probably not.

I personally think so but that’s a killer deal and I’d still go with that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Endless Mike posted:

You can take my S2 from my cold, dead hands or just not offer a WatchOS update and then I'll upgrade!!!!

watchOS 5 not being supported on the S0 is what got me to upgrade. With the way I use the watch, it doesn’t really bother me if it slows down slightly with os updates so I plan on keeping my 4 for a while until they introduce more health sensors.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Are they actually decent for phone conversations? I spend a lot of time talking to my teammates in the field and things can be noisy, so making sure I output a good clear sound is pretty important.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but it definitely not what I was expecting to be told.

They work really well and the sound quality for music is surprisingly decent for Bluetooth earbuds as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Talk about burying the lede. I didn't know they still made hip holsters for phones.

Pay attention to every boomer man in public. They all have them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

frogbs posted:

No bricking for me, I’m on an S4.

I was hoping this would improve some weird battery life issues, but it seems the same so far. I only get around 12 hours of use, despite not interacting with it much. I’ve tried removing all apps, restarting, and disabling background refresh, but nothing seems to improve longevity.

Seconding going to Apple. That’s definitely not normal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HiredGun posted:

Some 16 year old kid from Australia is cranking out quality watch apps. Check out MiniWiki - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miniwiki/id1448143759

Wikipedia on your watch. What a world to be living in.

Neat. His Chirp app is pretty good and I’ve been using it since Twitter pulled official support for whatever dumb reason.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zero One posted:

You've got the Apple monkey paw!

Announcing the Watch5! With no crown or buttons! All features controlled by FaceID! Just roll your eyes to scroll!

I’d be down with this if it worked well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s definitely worth trying. It’s out of warranty but they may be cool and replace it with a newer one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SMy2_qNO2Y0

This is what happens to swollen li-ion batteries when they rupture fyi. Skip to 1:50.

Jesus Christ, I didn’t expect it to be that bad.

Don’t wear that watch anymore, bud.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I also replaced my zero with a 4 and I love it. It’s so quick and useful.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All 3rd party complications have been pretty poo poo I’ve found. I really hope watchOS 6 improves that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Any reason to wait for a Series 5 if I want an Apple Watch? Any big improvements coming?

It’s only a month now so I’d definitely wait and see.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Guess we’ll just get a modest processor increase for the 5. I probably won’t upgrade from my 4 until another dramatic redesign.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

4 is good enough that I think they could get away with skipping 2019 as an upgrade year.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want more health sensor related things but I don’t know how long it’ll be before we get something more. The EKG is really cool.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Clark Nova posted:

In 10 months I've gone from a 2-day battery charge with a comfortable margin for overnight charging every other day, to consistently crapping out early/mid afternoon on the second day if I don't charge it every night, so yeah, battery degradation is pretty bad. :smith:

My series 4 is starting to get bad too. I’m gonna see if the battery is degraded before the warranty is up soon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

colachute posted:

Speaking of, I think battery life will have to be the next improvement that makes me upgrade. Right now I get 1-2 days. I’d need like 4-5 to make it worth it.

That and more health sensors are what I want most out of it going forward.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

smackfu posted:

Hmm, I actually have a cracked corner on my aluminum series 3, but hard to tell if it’s the same issue described there.

Might as well try your luck at an Apple Store.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

xzzy posted:

drat they straight up killed the series 4 and are still producing the 3? That's pretty wild.

Since they claim battery life is unchanged, I wonder if the 5 will let you fully turn off the screen like previous watches work and get a battery life boost.

I hope you can make it work like on older watches. That poo poo would bug the hell out of me since it just seems so wasteful from an energy standpoint. I also wouldn't like it from a privacy standpoint.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Taima posted:

If it's 18 hours and the screen is always on, isn't that by default ridiculously more efficient?

Not really if you can't turn it off.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violator posted:

Holy cow that must have been quite the upgrade for you.

Edit: I went from 0 to 3 and was super impressed, the 4 must have been amazing.

I did the same and it was. I'm gonna keep my 4 until they have another big health related feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Minidust posted:

Definitely gonna get my first Apple Watch! Most likely GPS, but can someone briefly explain how cellular works (at lest in the U.S.)? It's hard to get a straightforward answer since carrier websites are mostly awful and don't really provide relevant info without corralling you through the entire purchase process. Like would I just be paying Verizon an extra :10bux:/month or what?

For those who have used cellular, did you find it worthwhile?

Pretty much just the extra a month. Its usefulness will depend on how often you're not with your phone.