Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ShaneB posted:

I own the Broken Token insert, and assembled it, for a game I do not yet own. But it's pretty conclusively the best aftermarket one that isn't just a stack of Plano cases.

I got the Daedelus inserts just because they looked really nice and I appreciated that they were labeled for easy reference. I feel like having any sort of organizer will be a godsend for this. Really eager to get my copy and start psychically throwing rats at people.

Re: legacy I'm actually excited at the prospect of leaving a permanent mark on the game as my group moves through and accomplishes things.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Impermanent posted:

hey don't use the monster cards etc that come with the game if you can help it, they add a shitload of set-up time and the constant reshuffling is bad. Instead, use this webapp: https://johreh.github.io/gloomycompanion/

- a gloomhaven vet

On Google Play there is an App for this as well as one for the spoiler-free scenario book mentioned in the OP. Both look like they've been recently updated for 2E.

E: looks like there's also one for a campaign tracker for people worried about legacy screwing up a replay.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 10, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

I forget if I asked this elsewhere, but is this game worth getting if you only play solo? I know characters have secret missions and aren't supposed to plan their turns together, and I don't want to pay $150 for a game that only sort of works.

The game has tailored difficulty for solo play and there is a special add on book full of solo scenarios you can play once Gloomhaven reaches prestige 3. If you like playing alone, it seems like the game has you covered, but not going through this with some buddies seems like kind of a wasted opportunity to me personally.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, it's just a personal preference on my part. If you like solo I think you'll be fine.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I still don't have my copy. :cry:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Im working towards the Ubisoft class, no idea if its good or what it even is or anything, but Im drat excited.

Same for the Cthulhu Face class for me. I had the basic concept spoiled for me accidentally, but I know none of the technical details. Sounds super interesting.

I want my copy dammit. Everyone having fun but me.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

So when people say some pieces weren't glued, what does that mean? Do they literally fall to pieces? Is it something you can easily fix yourself? It's got me a little worried.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I see, sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed for me I guess.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I just got a notification that Gamenerdz got some copies secured for pre-order if anyone is still looking to buy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ok Cardhaus, it's November 30. Work your magic.

Ahhhhhh it's December 31st now? What the hell.

VVVVV :same:

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 30, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Isn’t retail actually Jan / Feb?

I didn’t play gloomhaven last night. Instead I spent an hour organizing it into planos. Also got a sweet file folder for tiles and binder for the item store.

Ah, is that what's been said? They just keep bumping it back on my notifications. Gives me time to wrap up my tabletop campaign at least.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

BrainBot posted:

Latest update I found from the retail distributor on bbg says mid January for release to retailers.

Ok, thanks for the update.

The really unfortunate thing is that I had a number of things tied to the pre-order, including a now very belated birthday gift. I wonder if I can convince them to release that stuff separate.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Frush posted:

Best solution we've heard so far is 'use the monster deck as a player deck if you're using the website'. Other than that, my searches so far have turned up nothing. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to code for someone who knew what they were doing though.

That's a good idea except you can't account for perk changes to the deck, unless I'm missing something.

There is a thread on Reddit of some guy working on a character modifier app, but I don't know how developed it is.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

CommonShore posted:

The monster deck is identical to the base player deck except for the "M" in the corner. The perk changes will come from the character class's envelope anyway.

I thought he was asking if there was an electronic replacement for the player deck like Gloomy Companion "replaces" the physical monster decks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

If you don't enjoy the thrill and/or horror of turning over your own physical character modifier deck, God help you.

I enjoy the sloth and/or apathy of having a computer do all my shuffling for me.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Any suggestion for how to play this as a one-off session and not as a campaign? I'm visiting my brother for a few days and we want to re-live our HeroQuest days. Note I have not been able to play my copy at all besides looking at it and setting it up and pretending I have the time to devote to boring solo sessions.

It's my impression that the random dungeon decks were pretty much made for this (and out of campaign grinding I guess).

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

So what happens if you use up all 24 retirement cards?

You have the option of making a new character whenever you visit Gloomhaven. It would basically mean you play your class until you feel like a change.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Because retiring is different from making a new character. You can make a new character without retiring your former one if you just want to try a different class.

Retiring means that that specific character with their items, gold, perks, etc is done forever.

I read it as you lose everything when you make a new character regardless - you just don't get the added bonus of unlocks/prosperity if you don't retire them. As such:

Mordiceius posted:

Could you, hypothetically, at that point have a couple characters you just switch between every time you return to Gloomhaven?

No. When you drop your current character, either through retirement or making a new one, they're gone forever. If you could stable characters like that, you'd effectively bar other players from taking all those classes, which would be kind of bullshit.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 8, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Let me put this a different way. When I started my campaign, we had a Cragheart, a Spellweaver, a Tinkerer and a Mindthief. The Mindthief's player isn't in town anymore and someone just made a new Mindthief.

By your logic, if my first player comes back, he can't use his character again because...someone else make another character? So his is just gone forever?

If that's how you want to handle it, by all means, but due to the rule that no two players can play the same class at once, if your friend comes back and wants to resume, someone needs to back down and relinquish their Mindthief.

It seems like a logistical nightmare and has potential for ill will as classes become time locked and items are held in stasis and can't be repurchased, but I understand you can do it that way, godspeed. I interpreted the rules as being more absolutist than that within a single party. I don't intend to have that as an option, personally.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Except that they don't, because we can only have four characters at a time anyway and three spots are already full, so the two Mindthieves could conceivably switch off.

Yes, but you're running into the risk of sparking a dispute if both players want to use their Mindthief for the same scenario. You'll have to determine who gets precedence and that can engender bad feelings.

Again, hypothetically there's nothing stopping you from stabling multiple characters like that, and if your group understands that compromise is necessary to that end, then go for it. I see it as too much potential for being problematic.

I'm not meaning to say you're wrong, and I apologize if it seemed that way. I'm just giving my view and the reasoning behind it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I think what you're missing is that neither of those players will be around for the same Gloomhaven session, because our group is solidified as a consistent 3 plus a flex slot.

I did miss that, and was thinking of a more stable 4 person group like mine. If people flexibly leave and replace that last slot, then I could see it being more realistic and feasible, and if they're never in the same session then it's totally fine, just a bit of a chore to manage. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

The only thing then is that I would probably house rule some flexibility on item ownership so that certain items don't risk being long-term out of circulation.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 8, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

If you open all the content in the box and get Gloomhaven to max Prosperity, you get to start with a level 9 character with a minimum of 8 and probably more like 12-14 perks, which is almost all the ones that they have access to.

When they say prosperity increases it really just means gyms open up all over Gloomhaven. It becomes a metropolis where asking if you even lift triggers nothing more than a blank stare.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

The question isn't "can you make a new character" it's "if you do, can you keep your old one or do you have to rip up the character sheet?"

According to FunkMonkey, it's the latter.

That's what I believe, yes. However, I also agree with you that it's a judgment call and you should go with what you want and what your group is conducive to. Whatever works to make it fun.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 9, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Gort posted:

This envelope really isn't a big deal. At the end of the day it's the one they're risking you not ever finding.

I discovered it while yanking everything out for my inserts. It prompted about 10 seconds of :thunk: on my part before I flipped it onto the pile with a "meh, I'll worry about this later."

I figured a good point would be after everyone in my group has retired their first character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Welp, as a brute/spellweaver, we got wrecked in scenario 2.

In my three person group (Mindthief, Cragheart, Spellweaver) last week we won it by the skin of our teeth through a mixture of good fortune and very coordinated blocking/terrain manipulation from the Cragheart. It did lead to this impassioned exchange between my co-players at the end:

"HE'S STUCK ON HIS OWN SKELETONS"

"BEAT HIM INTO THE DIRT"

"WHERE'S YOUR ZOMBIE DOOR NOW rear end in a top hat"