Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I hate to be the guy posting esoteric errors in modding here, but the last couple of times I brought it up on the euiv boards it just got ignored and buried.

Really I'm just hoping Groogy sees it :shepface:

Specifically, I have a full map replacement going. It has all the files done, all the areas, super/regions defined, and loads with a sole error of a missing province (which incidentally if I create the last province in the defines with the color I say in there, it will always consider it an invalid color. If I then reduce max_provinces and blot that original last province out with neighbour colors, the new 'last' province will now show all of it's pixels as an invalid color regardless of no changes being made :suicide:) but that doesn't seem to be the choke.

The game loops forever on initializing maplogic, the setup.log ending at the superregion declaration, right before it would usually say map.cpp's time. Checking out eu4.exe in a debug trace, it seems to loop around a function called ZwReadFile, and a file that keeps coming up in trace is "face//band_reorg_blue.dds". Essentially it seems to go a few functions deep, hits a block, reverses out and then begins all over, looping infinitely.

I just want to load this goddamn map already I've been trying to do this at varying points over 8 months now when I get back to it :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

"PairOfDucks posted:

###################
# Gamebalance
###################

# Units
- Unit movement speed reduced from 1 to 0.7.
- Drilled armies now have an increased movement speed. 20% faster at 100%. Mercenaries will however slow them down.

# War & Peace
- Switched Army Professionalism Bonuses: Reserves morale impact and General Costs.
- Doubled base morale damage for reserves

Boy, Reman really chapped their rear end quick this time, that's a :turianass: boost :turianass: of everything he said makes drilling worth it (which wasn't much) by now just penalizing the baseline :v: Also, goodbye 125 Military Mana for 2 years of MP.

E: Realistically, a boost to catch armies was always something I wanted, so technically I'm not complaining :v: or i wouldn't be except everyone below caught my subtle point.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 12, 2017

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Never Ally Perfidious Albion

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So hey, help is always appreciated, especially from devs. I'm just going to document here what I think is a lesser known problem with completely new map mods.

Groogy mentioned that adjancencies.csv needs an entry or you get hangups, but it's not actually enough to just have an entry, you also, much to my own chagrin I missed this for 8 months, need the closing line of -1;-1;;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1; or else it still hangs.

Map finally loads now, the mod can finally proceed in a way that lets me work on actual stuff.

Thanks muchly Groogy, and to whomever may actually go looking in the future on google searches of maplogic crashes, good luck.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 15, 2017

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Doesn't half of the "top religion" stuff mostly coming down to having a means of stacking even more Core Cost reduction though?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Affi posted:

How does it affect it? And why would anyone take religious ideas except for rp reasons?

8 missionary coptic + deus vult, mostly.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Okay Reman, out yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O63oZQpKt_g

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

BeforeIPlay posted:

The Ottomans is a good starting nation for a first game. They have a decent army (but are held somewhat in check by a few of their neighbours), interesting events and some options about which direction to expand in.

Hahahahahaha.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Koramei posted:

If you have photoshop it's simple to make one. Open provinces.bmp, in the filter gallery find glowing edges, crank the sliders so it gives 1 pixel-wide borders:

with magic wand select the black background and put it on a layer behind, then fill it as white, and then set the lines you left on the other layer to black.

and then you're done:

I would have just given you the image, but this way you can make one yourself if you wanna base it off any mod's map too, like mine, for instance:

no I'm totally not just self promoting. Unrelatedly, holy gently caress is province modding tedious.

Huh, thanks for that, this actually looks pretty cool and should be good for doing placement with Thyrork when we actually do it :v:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

You allied Perfidious Albion didn't you.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

If you're not tribal and non-feudalism tech type, you can't do the reforms and the religion just sucks.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Poil posted:

I spent ages agonizing over what my second idea group should be as Switzerland. But since I was deciding between diplomatic groups at least exploration and maritime were easy to discard. The latter more than usual. :v:

Utter Einsanity: Complete Switzerlake with Naval and Maritime as your first two idea groups, both fully completed.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Also lets you make nations historically appropriately strong while also allowing those nations which thrived in history to do the same more regularly.

Totally unrelated but are there any good random small-medium size states with badass monarchs in 1444, other than like, Ethiopia (which is barely small enough for me to consider medium sized) and a bunch of states in India? I like starting out at a power disadvantage but with lots of monarch points to throw around, and yeah I could do a custom nation but I prefer historical ones.

Joke Option: Albania

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So i finished up actually getting all the areas in on my map and dear god

I really needed to not be impatient and rush drawing the sea zones.

Regardless, it's functional and I'll fix it up later after I get an actual setup running on this. Incidentally, as a question to any paradox devs, with Dharma's government changes, would it be feasible to add a new type of government alongside the Rep/Mon/Theo trifecta? Or maybe just steal Horde unity and do something with that I guess, just wondering how flexible it'll be for modding.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

This looks interesting, what are you making?

People have asked for two things more than most, an EUIV in a setting with magic/fantasy elements, and an EUIV that takes all the mod systems and intertwines them.

Its my ongoing freetime attempt at both, but its still in the early building stages.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Groogy posted:

Government reforms will work about the same as they did before Dharma for non-Dharma owners
Under the hood it is still the same system, they just don't have the same amount of content essentially.

:stare:

e: by balders sweaty balls. I haven't read that thread since yesterday. Yes we are totally ruining multiplayer so we can cater to the humongous market share we have in India smdh

All good, but as i asked a page ago:

StealthArcher posted:

Incidentally, as a question to any paradox devs, with Dharma's government changes, would it be feasible to add a new type of government alongside the Rep/Mon/Theo trifecta? Or maybe just steal Horde unity and do something with that I guess, just wondering how flexible it'll be for modding.

Not to be a rudeass tho.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Fuckin sweet.

Incidentally, want a nation of your own design in somewhere?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I am nothing if not occasionally stunningly lacking in awareness.

Sorry for being an a bit of an rear end Groogs, but very much thanks for the rundown.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Letho? Is that you? Though I guess a Witcher mod would be better in CKII.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

which country's ideas are this?

A tiny OPM all alone in the north. It's been downgraded to 0.5RT as a placeholder since though, as before Dharma, they were going to be locked into a Republic that didn't allow re-elections, and now it's going to be a not-republic altogether.

E: It did also give them a CB on Monarchies though, so it wasn't just event paste. It also consequently gave Monarchies one on them :v:

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 15, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Space Bat posted:

I've been reading some of the backlog of this thread and after reading people's concerns over the Mughals being the only tag with access to assimilation, I was curious if this would be possibly by modding, Groogy. Have a government reform level that gets added if your nation attains empire rank, a unique "Empire" reform with three options. Something like "One Nation, One People" which gives a culture conversion bonus, "One Nation, One Faith" which allows you to convert in territories, and "Cultural Melting pot" which allows not Mughal empires the ability to assimilate cultures. I'm not suggesting this NEEDS to be in the base game, obviously, I'm more curious if this is something even possible to do with the new reforms system.

Pretty sure its been confirmed that you can do that, yes.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Coal Furnace cannot melt Gold Development

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Staltran posted:

Did we already know Mughals can get a -3% army tradition decay reform? I must have missed it if so, that's just insane.

Europa Universalis IV: Keeping up with the Streltzes

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Huh. I just realized one of the Shia schools gives 0.5 RT a year to republics. That's actually crazy. That's +50% on the default passive gain. For comparison's sake, protestantism's boost is 0.1, and Coptic's is 0.2. 0.5 seems to be the biggest boost from a single source in the entire game by a huge margin.

I wonder if it's the result of an input error or something (someone typed 5 instead of 2 on their keypad when inputting the value?). As it is, it's incredibly powerful and is almost able to make re-elections self-sustaining on its own (alongside events and the occasional pass on rulers who are rolled old). Gaining access to it is not super easy since I don't think there are any Shia republics at the game's start. I made a custom three province nation in northern Syria and am having fun being sandwiched by the ottomans and mamluks while I try to gobble up the beyliks before they do and not get my poo poo kicked in in the process.

edit: Looking at the wiki, I guess a few national idea sets have .5, but those usually come with otherwise lovely idea sets. I want to try turning already powerful nation into a Shia republic.

If the new Dharma Veche Republic is as good as it looks and doesn't have the 20 province limit anymore, it may be best to make Russia as Novgorod now. They also, coincidentally, have a +.5RT.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

Hello, I would just like to whine that this game wasn't out this weekend when I could have played it a bunch over my 4 days off! human status: uncertain

:emptyquote:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I'm going to stick that verbatim in one of my mod's events, it needs to live on.

As a -1 Stab piece, but hey, nothing changes.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Make another option that's a super convoluted bunch of estate loyalty/influence/province control modifiers.

Fair, given I'll be reworking estates as is.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jean Pony posted:

I didn't have the flavor text in mind when i wrote "mini-novel", I meant the tool tip itself, poor explanation on my part.

I think the tooltips could do a better job of offering information at a glance. I don't mind choosing, but I'd like to make a desicion in 5 secs instead of 25 or what ever.

I think what I mean is better represented in pictures:

I made an attempt:

Really comes down to the fact that, unless I'm missing something, writing a variable is necessary to add the two, and an event option can't run the variable commands, so you'd need to write all of them as the event fires for the event to display it properly, but all the estate events are a single localisation line for each of losing/gaining influence/loyalty, so matching them up is not a thing we can realistically do. Also thus while inserting an image is possible, there's no good way to do it.

I'm still putting the quote in my mod.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 6, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I changed the localisation for the cleanliness, and also, you can reorganize the effects in the event itself to make it easier to read.

I kind of like the way it looks, wish we could go all the way easily though.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jean Pony posted:

Nice! That is so much more readable, or glancable if you will. What is this mod of yours?

Hah, the mod itself is a TC; this was booting dharma up and doing some quick event/loc modification. Whole new world, new nations, new planet, etc. People wanted two things in this thread since time immemorial, a fantasy-ish EUIV, and some consolidation of mechanics. So I decided to shoot for the moon and do it :v:

That said, things like this and your wonderful quote are in for fun times.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Atreiden posted:

Altaic: Turkoman Gunners (-10% Artillery Cost)
Baltic: The Baltic Trade (+5% Naval Force Limit Modifier)
British: Rule the Waves (+5% Ship Durability)
Burman: Burman Martial Leadership (+1 Leaders without Upkeep)
Byzantine: Legacy of Rome (+0.25 Yearly Legitimacy)
Carpathian: The Black Legions of Carpathia (-10% Mercenary Cost)
Celtic: Highlander Courage (+5% Shock Damage)
Chinese: Confucian Bureaucracy (-20% State Maintenance)
Congo: Kongolese Religious Syncreticism (+50% Chance of New Heir)
Cushitic: Kingdom of Prester John (+1 Missionary)
Dravidian: South Indian Industry (+5% Goods Produced)
East Bantu: Riches of the Swahili (+10.00 Tax Income)
East Slavic: Mass Conscription (+10% Land Force Limit)
Eastern Aryan: East Indian Textile Production (+5% Production Efficiency)
Evenki: Manchu Cavalry Tactics (+20% Cavalry Flanking Ability)
French: French Courtly Culture (+1 Diplomat)
Germanic: German Printing (+15% Institution Spread)
Great Lakes: Skirmishers of the Great Lakes (+50% Looting Speed)
Hindustani: Unrelenting Expansion (-10% Core Creation Cost)
Iberian: Iberian Colonialism (+10 Global Settler Increase)
Iranian: Western Advisors (-10% Advisor Cost)
Japanese: Japanese Samurai (+10% Morale of Armies)
Kamchatkan: No Bonus (Possible oversight?)
Korean: Korean Literati (-5% Idea Cost)
Latin: Renaissance Prince (-10% Institution Embracement Cost)
Levantine: Levantine Cavalry (+10% Cavalry Combat Ability)
Maghrebi: The Barbary Pirates (+25% Privateer Efficiency)
Malay: Malay Merchant-Princes (+1 Merchant)
Mande: The Western Reaches of Islam (+1 Tolerance of Heretics)
Nordic: Nordic Rivalry and Innovativeness (-10% Military Advisor Cost)
Pacific: Sailors of the Pacific (+10% National Sailors Modifier)
Sahelian: The Desert Nomads (+10% Movement Speed)
South Slavic: The Slavic Bulwark (-10% War Score Cost vs Other Religions)
Southern African: Southern African Gold (+0.05 Yearly Inflation Reduction)
Sudanese: The Sudanese Trade Routes (+10% Caravan Power)
Tatar: Horses of the Steppe (-15% Cavalry Cost)
Thai: Thai Urbanization (-5% Development Cost)
Tibetan: Tibetan Asceticism (+0.50 Prestige Per Development from Missionary)
Ugric: The Finno Pride (-1% Prestige Decay)
West African: West African Ruling Class (-0.01 Monthly Autonomy Change)
West Slavic: Slavic Generals (+1 Land Leader Fire)
Western Aryan: Gujarati Traders (+5% Trade Efficiency)

The lack of any Discipline or Infantry power shows they're learning :v:

The blank does not :v:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I guess, I did make a new state after dropping the alliance. But immediately after they stayed friendly for about a year. Then when I rivaled them and allied russia they flipped to outraged and changed from like 80 opinion to -160

You rivaled them, aka the Otts.

You're shocked they hated you after that.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I’m not shocked they’re grump, I’m confused how the hell they got in on that godamn coalition. I’ve decided it’s because of the two provinces they had in Gujarat.

I ended up keeping that coalition at bay with 0 manpower for most of the war. I have been immediately attacking the coalition as soon as it forms before ottos can join. That seems to be doing the trick. The one war I had with them didn’t go great even though I cleared out their manpower pretty quick they can keep a 200 regiment nerf army up for a long fuckin time.

Joining a coalition requires under -50 relations and over 50 AE with the country iirc.

So they had lots of.AE but were your ally, then you broke alliance and rivalled them puahing them under -50 and they jumped on board.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

canepazzo posted:

An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

That's because you uploaded your brain scans to a droid and it failed.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Groogy posted:

Only if Hamburg gets to be the capital :colbert:

It has to immediately switch to producing livestock when you fire the event too.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Grizzwold posted:

Would be better as someone in the la plata region imo

Need communal governments first.

hehehehe, mods

E: Yeah, I'm dumb enough to do it.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 3, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Another Person posted:

some bad rear end monarchs, or 2 eras of 6/6/6 badboys. its worth it early game, you get such a staggering tech lead, and so much dev. also, running the 'lock in mil in 1444 and always strengthen' strat means that when AoA hits, you are likely to hit your admittedly small absolutism cap very quickly. at the very least, it is worth being a republic until that point imo.

The most broken form of this is playing an OPM Shiite Republic for the Ideas Guy cheevo too, lock in the +.5 RT school, skip the RT reform for dynasties instead to guarantee younguns, and roll hogwild.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And it's still pretty poo poo. Almost always a smaller landmass than the actual new world, and often pretty ugly too. Plus it's not fun starting up as a colonizer with RNW on only to find a few hours later that your avenues for colonization are extremely limited and you have no trade routes leading to your home node. I had an England game once with RNW on where I fought my best HYW ever and had to give it up because the RNW was utter trash for me.

If you had a HYW that good, just skip colonizing and become Lord Europa Britannia.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

skasion posted:

France definitely has a higher chance of eating poo poo in the HYW than they used to. England’s mission’s are so good that even if the French do okay in the war over Maine, they can still get really dismantled by an opportunistic England if they do poorly after that. I wouldn’t say they die 100% of the time though, or even 50. If they can get a couple of ideas so they have Elan, they’re gonna be around for the long haul.

If the Spanish nations get buffed significantly then maybe the French should get a bit of a boost too though. Regardless I would like to see a bit more meat on the French mission tree, it’s ok but not as ridiculously good as England’s is.

Make Elan France's first NI.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Firebatgyro posted:

If you can Ally that giant Commonwealth the 2 of you be able to take out the Ottomans 'easily' since they have roughly 1 million morale

Beating the Otts early requires the morale high ground, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Europa Universalis IV: Swedish Mass Load Hull Breech