Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

skasion posted:

Is it just me or is the Farm Estate building an utter waste of money

Not just you. I guess it'll pay for itself over the game but it's less attractive than most other early-game money sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'd like to do an Ideas Guy run. Would any of Third Rome, CoC, or MoH improve the game for me? I have all the older DLCs.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My Ideas Guy run, Persian Zoroastrian Theocracy starting south of Mutapa. I'm in 3rd place in 1584 with about 15% of the income I need to get the achievement, and I have tendrils spreading out into West Africa, the Middle East, and the West Indies. I've been cleaning up in a lot of little wars and I'm not sure who my next big target should be. Ethiopia is big and willing to ally me but they are probably going to get attacked by the Ottomans soon, so I might do better by attacking them before that. Also looking at wars with Sunda and maybe some shenanigans in India and East Asia. What would you do? I've been doing really bad on tech and ideas because my MP keep going to coring territory, demanding territory, killing natives, and developing for institutions, but it hasn't really slowed down my expansion.

Also I started this game with the last patch and converted it to 1.24, hope it doesn't blow up on me! The only problems I've noticed are a few new uncolonized provinces at 0 development.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 15, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'd focus on cementing your grip on the West Indies. Conquering Kilwa should also produce a good chunk of change but the indies will be your real money maker. Suck up all the west indie trade possible.

I think you're right. I've been gobbling up land in the Malacca node, and soon I'll be able to steer trade from there through Goa to my monopolized node in Zanzibar. It's an interesting balancing act, because I have to stay tough enough that the Ottos won't want to attack me once they're done eating Ethiopia. Ultimately I will take over India and Persia myself for that sweet Mughal decision, but that's quite a way off!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Judging by my Ideas Guy game, theocracies are pretty busted too. You just don't get many interesting events or mechanics.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Finally got Ideas Guy in a pretty suboptimal manner. Fun run overall, didn't have to be too gamey or do anything drastic. Not super hard but it took forever!

Did 1.24 clear up the issues somewhat with Ming and MoH? I'd like to get the expansion in the Steam Winter Sale but I'm not going to bother if it makes everyone a tributary.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 23, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Affi posted:

The war to dismantle the ottomans and bring Jerusalem back into Christian hands is underway. Oh god they are so huge :(

Have some ~ottomanspiration~

Of course that's with my broken custom nation. :v:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Affi posted:

So how come the loving Ottomans can cross the sound? I might win anyway but its such a slog if I cant trap their armies in asia.

Countries' armies can cross a blockaded strait if they own the provinces on both side. You can still do gamey poo poo like taking Corfu and trapping a giant army there, if you own the province.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

End of Ideas Guy run -- after getting the cheevo in the early 1700s I formed Persia and spent more time beating up on the Turks and Indians. It was silly to do this whole thing as a Zorostrian and a Persian, considering I started in South Africa, but whatever it was easy and fun. Spent the last 70 years just beating up on neighbors -- my real regret is that I eclipsed France (as a rival) and never got around to attacking them. Also I never attacked Yao because I was low on admin points toward the end, and consequently didn't get to color all of Africa in.

I do kinda feel I'm out of fun things to do with this game, at least in single player. Oh well, it's been a nice 823 hours.

Oh, and I was a theocracy most of the game which is boring compared to monarchy. I guess there's no stab hits and you're guaranteed an heir but the events are rather dull.

Lagnar posted:

I believe scrutage is an extra 50%, but if you are developing for institutions (there are a handful of O.K. provinces there) then you should have plenty of cash. And, once you take Alexandra and such, you will have loads of money from trade.

Edit: remember too that one of the estates has a 1/2 price inflation advisor aswell, so you can take the gold mines and use those until you have your ideas settled.

The nearest farmlands are in Egypt, so as Ethiopia I rushed up that way to start developing for institutions. There's a lot of good provinces up there if you can state the Egyptian land and accept the culture, and after all the Ottos are going to attack sooner or later.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 28, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The times I've tried that I just end up super behind in tech, since I dump everything into dev while everyone around me just techs up. As one of the Japan minors I think I ended up ~5 techs below Ming and just couldn't catch up.

For grabbing territory closer to Mamluks, when is that supposed to happen? Like do you just no-CB on someone and grab 1 province?

For developing is there some process? Or do you literally just start dumping points in a province the second Renaissance spawns in europe?

In India you should have some Farmlands provinces which give a development discount, there's universities, and there's a bunch more you can get. https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Development#Stacking_development_cost_modifiers

Being a little behind in Admin and Diplo tech isn't that bad, you'll just have less money to throw around. It's not a big deal to take some loans for the purposes of expanding up to your state limit, too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dev Diary with some plans for 2018: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-9th-of-january-2018.1064278/

quote:

We are very happy and grateful that more of you than ever are playing EUIV. Without your continued support and feedback, we would not be writing these diaries. I just checked in the Wiki and this seems to be our 244th dev diary for EUIV which is quite crazy! So once again, thanks for being a fantastic community giving us both praise and critique, inspiring us to do even better. Our hope is that we can continue to bring you fun and exciting moments that you can share with your friends and with the community in 2018.

We had a busy 2017 with three expansion releases; Mandate of Heaven, Third Rome and Cradle of Civilization and two Patches; Hungary and Japan. While all performed well, Third Rome was the one that was met with the most scepticism. It was the one expansion that differed from our typical releases and, in hindsight, perhaps we did not explain the rationale for it well enough. We named it an “Immersion Pack” to distinguish it from our regular, larger expansions that usually cost around USD 20 (or the equivalent in your local currency).

So why did we introduce a new type of expansion? As you may know EUIV is on its fourth year now and some may wonder if we there really are more things that we can introduce to the game. Even though there may be as many opinions as there are players on the value of each expansion that we have released over the years, we believe that there are still aspects of the game that can be improved upon, fleshed out or just given a bit more attention.

And that was the exact purpose of the Third Rome Immersion Pack. We wanted to bring you more tightly themed content focusing on a specific area, in this case Russia, to give the possibility to delve deeper, try out a new nation or new strategies, i.e. “immerse” yourself a bit more into that particular region, all in the hope that we can bring you something that helps keeping the game feel fresh and interesting. We know that a more narrow scope may not interest everyone, but the ambition is that we can give some of you something to sink your teeth into without having to wait to integrate it into a full fledged USD 20 expansion. These larger expansions usually contain quite complex changes to the game mechanics and hence take longer to code, get tested and finally out to you.

Something we learned from the release of Third Rome and your feedback on it, it is that we should have content that can be more universally applied eg: is available for nations other than just those focused on in the Immersion back in order to ensure that once you have finished playing that particular campaign, there is still value from the Immersion Pack regardless of where or what you are playing the next time. This means that even though some of the new content may be primarily constructed to be used in the region/country that the Immersion Pack covers, the basic mechanic should be possible and interesting to use elsewhere in the game.

So why am I spending time discussing Immersion Packs? Primarily because we do plan to release more Immersion Packs going forward, all themed around a region or a concept. It does not mean that we will stop releasing larger expansions, but they will be interspersed with smaller packs. The next DLC coming out will be an Immersion Pack...the question is what region or theme it will focus on? Suffice to say that it will be focusing on one of the most played starting countries and it is in Europe…I am sure that DDRJake will reveal more in next week’s Dev Diary! So stay tuned!

With those words I wish you all an excellent start to the new year and happy gaming!

I do hope the future country-specific expansions are more interesting than Third Rome, which looks kinda dull.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah pushing overextension over 200 is a fun end game challenge (rebels will peter out before long so you're mainly just dealing with the rad events)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

As Denmark, just PUd Russia. To integrate them I need 15 more provinces, but it's easy to keep liberty desire at 0% with a little development in Russian provinces.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jQmoyvl

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Can something cause the Reformed CoRs to completely fizzle out? In my Denmark game Protestant is doing great but I don't know if "The Reformation Branches Out" even fired and I never noticed any Reformed provinces.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Has Mann Gone Insane / A Few Will Remain

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

spectralent posted:

Can someone summarise to me what the most important combat stats are? I'm aware morale is a great one, and that discipline stacks well with it, but what about stuff like "+ leader shock" and "+10% __ combat ability"?

As always see http://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Land_warfare for the details but here's my summary of the most important modifiers.

Leader shock and other leader bonuses are only for leaders you recruit (after you get the bonus). They give extra pips to leaders. This is very important because each round of combat (both shock and fire rounds), each side rolls a d10 modified by the number of pips in shock/fire their general has. Without adequate leaders you face a lot more damage and do a lot less damage. Early on, shock is rather more important than fire, and this reverses with more advanced miltech.

Discipline and military tactics affect how much damage you can do and how much damage you can take. I think tactics is only gained through tech, while there's a variety of ways to get discipline. Just having 105% discipline isn't a dramatic change but having 120% sure is. This is mainly important for countries like Prussia that can stack a ton of discipline.

Morale is critical to winning because the side that runs out of morale loses, with the possibility of a stackwipe if they lose very quickly. Increasing morale and morale recovery is especially useful for winning battles in the early game.

Unit combat ability (from Quality ideas and other sources) affects the damage done by only that type of unit. Late game you will have a lot of artillery so artillery combat ability becomes dramatically more useful as budgets allow for lots of guns. I don't know that you can generally stack these bonuses as much as with discipline.

There are plenty more, like cavalry ratio and combat width, but these seem to be the most important ones. For large pitched battles it also seems wise to gradually feed more units into the battle as your initial combatants wear out. Remember that every unit in a battle takes morale damage every day, even if it is not actively fighting due to limited combat width. Terrain is also a big determiner of battle outcomes in cases where the armies are fairly evenly matched, so make sure to fight only on your terms! (The AI, alas, has gotten a lot better at this too.)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did you always get this option, or is this a fairly recent feature? I've been in succession wars before but never had the option to back down. Also France is my rival and we have been at war several times recently, so I have no idea how my Denmark can be claiming the throne but whatever!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

deathbagel posted:

If a country gets to enforce a PU and there are no other countries that have the same ruling dynasty, then the game defaults to offering their strongest rival to contest that PU. You must be the strongest Rival available to contest the succession.

Ah interesting. I'm still not sure how that works logically but I'm always glad for a chance to kick the crap out of France.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ottomans can basically lose hellwars and bounce back with no problem. It's easy af to take over Anatolia and the Balkans and you're quite powerful and resilient with just those core regions.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Not feeling another immersion pack, and I don't think it will change the late game much. We'll see.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

To reduce liberty desire in a subject, the best way seems to be to develop their provinces. Granting them a bunch of provinces just doesn't do enough.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

(Btw, having to enter the ledger to compare/contrast army sizes is super irritating. Why isn't that info there in the dip screen like in CK2 or Stellaris?)

Because multiplayer. Some of the ledger is disabled in MP games for balance or something.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Do rebels get another tick of progress when you declare war? Odd.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is a Burgundy run a decent choice right now? Haven't played a European mid-weight power in quite a while

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rule Britannia is still full price in the current sale, and it seems to be the rule for immersion packs that they add very little unless you're playing one of a few special countries. It seems like a pretty bad deal to me.

Meanwhile I'm trying to justify my purchase of Cradle of Civilization just now. Mamluks sure seem powerful with it, maybe I can finally stand up to Otto Man?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

I just don't get the point of the entire mechanic. Or what's supposed to be fun game play about it.

eu4dlc.txt

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

today's dev diary is on some nice audio touches, no gameplay reveals

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-19th-of-june-2018.1106148/

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Poil posted:

Neither of those seem very fun. Either drowning in monarch points or playing some weird streamer challenge. Maybe I'll just go with a regular ruler then.

I wonder if an immortal 6/6/6 AI ruler is enough to make a high american nation not suck horrendously. Probably not. :v:

Maybe if there was some way to jump ahead to the year 1500? It's really really dull before the Europeans show up.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I wish colonial nations weren't so aggressive about eliminating any foreign cultures from their land. I guess the AI freaks out if a certain % of provinces aren't the official culture?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Also why am I playing a game as Castile? I was just testing my graphics card, but it's 1550 and I should probably accept I'm playing for real now.

The Protestant Reformation still seems rather anemic, which is dull.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Poil posted:

In my Venice-Italy game the protestants took off like a rocket and declared the earliest almost instantaneous HRE war I've ever seen, which they easily won. Of course that may have just been an exception.

Yeah, it looks like I was judging it too soon. Now it's the 1570s and there's a good religious war brewing in the Empire, as well as Reformed Prussia (and Hungary too, RIP). I joined the Protestants because all my enemies joined the Catholic side, which is a cute mechanic.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I can't tell if it's possible for Ethiopia to end up on good terms with the Ottomans -- even if you don't go north and take Egypt (which you should because it's excellent development territory) the Ottomans will invariably come south to you.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's annoyingly difficult to defeat the English/British navy. Even their transport fleets ourfight my patrol fleets and their main stack is untouchable even if I bring twice the heavies. Maybe I should get Naval or Quality ideas?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Or you could not invest in filling out 2-3 idea groups just to win one naval battle

yeah i just shuttled 70,000 mans into great britain while losing the naval fight in another sector, and that's it for england after i took london in the peace deal

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Achievements I want to bother getting at some point: A Decent Reserve, A Manchurian Candidate, A Sun God, Switzerlake, African Power, Big Blue Blob, Sons of Carthage. What are some other fun, moderately challenging ones to go for? I have Ideas Guy already but it was one of my favorites to get.

I also have "We bled for this" which is my rarest achievement. Burning through a million manpower in a war with vs. Ottomans and everyone else doesn't seem like it would be that uncommon.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 29, 2018

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

James Garfield posted:

The Riga one was pretty fun. You get the achievement at about the same time you become a major power, so there are no boring wars against countries that stand zero chance of beating you.

How'd you beat the Livonian Order in that first war? I can't get any decent allies and my forcelimit is way less.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Atreiden posted:

Wait for the almost guaranteed war between Poland and The Teutonic order, sweep in when the Livonian orders army is beaten or occupied.

Hm, I'm having the problem that Poland-Lithuania often go to war with other countries but not the Livonian Order. In one of my runs they declared on Teutons but Livonia betrayed their ally and then allied Muscovy. :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Was hoping trade would get a more serious rework, but that's EU5 territory probably.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

All the big countries at one point or another do this. They can't quite handle supply when at war and march doom stacks of armies around and then sometimes get stuck bleeding attrition while at peace.

I've also seen smaller countries have their military AI break and buy up more troops but don't collect them into stacks or move them when at war. Rarely will they snap out of it.

Saving and reloading often helps with AI glitches.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

aqu posted:

New Dev Diary but more interestingly the manual for Dharama which goes into much more depth and has a listing of all the government reforms.
The government reforms sounds very interesting but I wish all reforms were available to all countries, perhaps with more negative effects to compensate.

I'm feeling optimistic about Dharma, more so than the last few expansions. I'm glad Paradox is still able to revisit some of the core systems to make them more consistent and visible, even if there are a lot of special cases in some of those government forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

oddium posted:

i legit just do not know how to not blob anymore

Is there some other way to play Ottomans? :confused: