Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Earwicker posted:

are there any statements or plans or even rumors regarding an EU5 or for that matter a CK3 or a Victoria 3?

seems like all of these series* have just turned into endless DLC, I don't see anything new on the Paradox website or forums

*not Victoria I guess that one's just dead

They're officially 'wrapping up CK2', but they've been doing that... for a while now, and it might mean we've got one more dlc incoming or 3-4? I found an interview just now saying Conclave would be the last major dlc. :lol: I think CKIIs lead dev has said he's got some 'cool ideas' for CK3 that they couldn't do with CK2.... But yeah, I wouldn't expect it for some years, I imagine they'll take a break and do something else like V3 or Rome 2 before returning to CK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

unbutthurtable posted:

How do people think a Rome 2 would play out with how far they've come with other game series'?

Great.

Hard to go wrong with the period. I still think they should probably just reboot the title of that too. Rome 2 could get confused with another major game, Europa Universalis Rome is just... bad.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

Could someone please inform me why this counts as "no adjacent" despite 3 cored provinces right next to it?

Did you try the old standby of deleting the map cache and letting it recalculate?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

No, I have no idea what that even means. :saddowns:

I don't have the game in front of me, but I think if you go into the game folders you should find something like...

euiv/maps/cache

delete all the poo poo in the cache folder and then start the game. It'll take longer to start and recalculate all the province distances/adjacencies and such. Used to use it when distances got screwed up after patches, but haven't had to do it in a long while.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

I found the map folder but there is no cache folder in it.

Huh. Maybe that was just an EU3 thing....? :confused:

Sorry, dude. :(

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Carver posted:

I've done the Arabia decision as them and it didn't change my government.

Kinda makes me feel like that should downgrade over time. So first it's +2, after some years becomes +1, then 0, then goes negative.

Like, there should be a reason you don't keep running medieval slave soldier government into the nineteenth century... :lol:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jeoh posted:

I hope that they'll expand Taiwan to a few provinces, so we can simulate the fun stuff that happened there between the Portuguese / Dutch / Spanish.

Isn't it already 3?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

really queer Christmas posted:

I really think older expansions should just be rolled into the base game by now.

I really think older expansions should just be rolled into the base game by now.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If they're not going to do EU5, they should declare a wrap on 'Season 1' of EU4, roll everything into one package, spend 9-12 months combing, adjusting, tweaking and adding poo poo, and then roll out EU4 season 2 with a big expansion and everything prior rolled into the base game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

skasion posted:

e: also, does a player pope really not get any say in who gets colonization rights? That’s lame. If I’m the pope and I want to reserve the whole new world for myself, I should be able to do it, dammit.

Spain just went Protestant. Good job.

For real though, you can reserve the whole New World for yourself as Switzerland, if you want. You just have to be willing to enforce your claim. :black101: :fuckoff: :black101:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Blorange posted:

It's a good theme for an ideas guy run if you're looking to become a world power by 1500. It's unfortunate that you have to start in Australia if you don't want it converted to a colonial nation.

Did that change? I did an Maori run as custom Aotearoa, started in New Zealand, and because it's in the colonial zone, Australia (and the entire New World) stayed mine and never became colonial nations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

vyelkin posted:

You could probably get insane trade income by conquering all of East Africa and then India to route all East and South Asian trade down to the Cape.

Yeah, I thought one of the standard ways to do Idea Guy was start in South Africa and funnel all of Indonesia trade into your ravenous maw.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

skasion posted:

Depending on whether you choose to take over France or not, England is either a really fun hectic start that soon becomes insanely strong or a fun laid-back start that slowly becomes slightly less insanely strong.

The big problem with killing France early is it makes it feel like you've already won the game by 1500 or so.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

skasion posted:

If you conquer all of Japan as a daimyo, is there any point at all in keeping the shogunate government or should you just form Japan?

You should form Japan, because not doing it is goofy gamey poo poo, and all good people will judge you. Same applies to the HRE vassal swarm.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
:blush: I pick humanism for role-play reasons and so my little computer people can live more just and enlightened lives

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gaius Marius posted:

You can turn off lucky nations in the options.

Or semi-randomize them. (I think it tends to pick 'big' nations, not one province native americans or whatever)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Crazy thing is, Paradox is actually legally obligated to implement all these!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RabidWeasel posted:

Or make sure that there are robust alt-historical regional mission sets.

I got the impression they're mostly just porting the old missions over to the new system right now (which is a ton of work) without adding lots of cool new stuff. Hopefully that will come in the future.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I just realized I haven't played a game long enough to get to absolutism. I guess I should fix that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
They should just make 1820-1920 a DLC for EUIV. Replace the trade system and add the crisis system.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I would rather see them take the Napoleonic era out of EU4 and add it to the beginning of Victoria 3. The way EU4 lategmae works (forts, forts everywhere) does not jive well with Napoleon's War of Maneuver.

Do both.

But yeah, I agree. It would also help mix the game up a bit, with the scenario feeling a little less scripted then standard Vicky does. I kinda wonder if it would be even better to move the start date back to... 1750 or so? Get the Seven Years War in, colonial revolutions, Napoleonics, etc.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Senor Dog posted:

They’d have to do some crazy heavy handed wizardry to ensure USA, Brazil, et al actually show up. But yeah this could be fun

You could absolutely steal the Colonial Nations mechanic from EUIV, so all these New World states start as satellite states on game start, with their own armies and economy and such.

Hell, you'd probably want to use that mechanic for things like the East India Company anyway.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
England is my favorite country anyway, because I can sit on my little island and make a big empire without worrying too much about Europe.

So...looking forward to this.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

some extra dynamism in how the colonial revolutions go would be a very good thing IMO. who needs the USA to show up in its real world form every game

I could definitely see a series of event chains where the 13 colonies end up as a stronger and more independent Dominion like Canada, then graduating to a independent, but strong ally of Britain mid/late game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I know the ai’s tendency towards total war has already been done to death as a complaint, but man am I tired of an ally refusing to white peace out to the point they take massive loving losses constantly for a distant ally- even while revolts rage in their land. Especially when they start taking mercs to send at your much better stacks.

I like the idea of them adapting the new War Exhaustion mechanic from Stellaris. Like if you're England, and declare war for a 3 development island in the South Pacific, France is not going to contest it anything like if you declare war for the entire Channel coast or something. You grab the island, sink a couple fleets and after a year or two, France says 'gently caress it' and lets you have the frozen, guano covered rock off the coast of Antarctica rather then burning their entire country to the ground over it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Agean90 posted:

I want a random old world mode. Like you know someones gonna show up but you have no idea what they will be like and from what direction

I'll be sad if we don't get a fully random world option in dlc before the dev cycle for EUIV ends.

I expect to be sad. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Re: armies having a range: It should be logistically and realistically impossible to project force across the globe like players and AI alike can currently do. Its that simple. Paradox devs are some creative fellas so I trust they could come up with a system to increase attrition the farther you get from an army's "home/base state" or if you cannot trace a line from the army through friendly territory back to <something>.

I agree, but here's the thing. I don't think they want to.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I know :(
Doesnt mean I wont be critical of them not doing it, though. I'll be speaking with my wallet blah blah blah.

I'd love to see a massive overhaul of how armies work. More realistically for V then IV at this point.

Early game standing armies are too expensive to maintain and you Levy troops from states for a while much like CKII. Losses/length of service affect some sort of provincial loyalty/ noble happiness. As the game goes on you develop a professional standing army.

Armies have a home state like V2, and keeping them oversees is prohibitively expensive, even late game. Instead you have a small corp of European troops and recruit local sepoys/allies much like the merc interface that have local strength/stats and can abandon you or whatever. Colonial states raise their own colonial militia, and you can move them around in war like your own troops as long as they state in the colonies.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It doesn't necessarily have to be a 'pop' system per se, but yeah one of the biggest things I want for EU is a more granular system for culture/religion. The current binary all-or-nothing system is a terrible hold over from back when EU was an adaptation of a literal boardgame. (I own an unpunched copy)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jay Rust posted:

God I’m getting uncomfortable just imagining setting that up and playing it

It's interesting to me that it was made by the same guys behind AGEOD.

So, in some parallel universe there is a giant unplayable turn-based mess of a game called Europa Universalis from the guys who brought us Pride of Nations. :lol:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

is there a bigger picture of the rest of the world part of the board somewhere? I'd never actually seen it before, looks interesting

Mines in storage, but lots of pics at boardgamegeek.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4102/europa-universalis/images

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Making unique models for things like Cornwall and Northumberland seems like such a waste of artist time. :lol: I mean... I guess maybe they're mostly retextures of other models, maybe?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

oddium posted:

me before the dlc comes out: hmmm. kinda weak. "innovativeness". might pass. vote with your wallet folks

me the day the dlc comes out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6_vyGuhkfA

Yeah. It doesn't sound very exciting, but England is absolutely my most played country, so...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I dunno what the solution is but as a new player, even one familiar with past EUs, having all these features locked behind various, seemingly-unrelated expansions is pretty overwhelming and dumb. Advisor promotion? The mideast expansion. More user-friendly diplomacy? Uhhh, China! The three estates of France? Cossacks!

Also does Random New World just suck? It seemed cool but every time I just get lovely island chains. Usually I sail all the way to the pacific before hitting anything cool and then have to backtrack and hunt down the tiny landmasses. It's basically if you took Indonesia and the Philippines and scattered their constituent islands between Bermuda and Hawaii.

Yeah, you really need to grab one of the mods that forces large continents.

Paradox had made noises that they'd keep working on it or adding more tiles, but they never did. :(

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Haven't played for a couple patches. Is it just me or is the game way slower?

Fastest game speed is chugging when it used to be pretty drat quick.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Missions driving renaissance England to seize Gibraltar and Egypt rub me the wrong way, frankly.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wafflecopper posted:

QOL request for you Groogy: can you make it so that conquistadors don't stop exploring when they get bumped out of owned provinces? It happens all the time and it's really annoying to babysit them hitting the explore button every time

I think conquistadors should be removed and all inland exploration done via passive discovery from fully colonized provinces.

Lewis & Clarking it in 1520 is non-ideal.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I am pretty checked out on EU4 now because its just too...something now. Too many disconnected mechanics.

Yeah. :(

I was looking at the government revamp diary and was really disappointed.

Things like stability, estates, government, absolutism should all be deeply entwined not all floating around independently.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mr. Fowl posted:

This week's Developer's Diary seems to help Republics a bit.

Nepotism: Each candidate get +1 random stat

:lol:

That's not how you spell -2 to each stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

oddium posted:

:worship:

timurids -> mughals is already insanely easy and bonkers, gonna be buck wild to have automatic permanently accepted cultures that give bonii

Apparently every culture in the world will give a bonus?!

quote:

Which culture groups give bonuses when assimilated? Just the Indian ones or all of them? Because, for some reason, the Tibetan group does not display a bonus, while the others (found on Indian peninsula) do.

Groogy posted:

All of them are planned to give, this is work in progress and what you see is essentially just placeholder modifiers for now.

That ought to be.... absurd.