Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Mr. Fowl posted:

Also, a question: Did this update make Mamluks stronger even if you don't have the paid content? Because they just fought off the Ottomans in my game, which I've never seen without me mucking around in the region.

They begin the game as a GP, and I believe they have an extra vassal compared to before.

My Mamluks game started with Ottomans getting their poo poo kicked in by Albania/Aragon/Naples right at the start, so I jumped in on a humiliate CB and long story short the endgame boss is already beaten by 1450.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I don't really get Mamluk's succession - I can choose one of three dynasties/cultures for my heir, with the third one being "oh he's an outsider from Circassia" with a strong claim (100 legitimacy), a +15 increase to military tradition, and (so far in this game), never worse than a 4-4-4. Why would I pick the other two?

Also, Mamluks are a powerhouse now. I am bullying OttoFrance with my Hungarian ally like it's nothing. Military tradition is never below 50, my generals have 5-6-7 shock, and drilling makes them even better. Do they ever start getting weaker?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Thanks all for the answers - I didn't notice that different culture rulers had different buttons.

So does the extra legitimacy come from choosing to continue with same culture ruler, or is it a Circassian thing?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Maybe it was always like this, but I feel like AI has gone a bit more creative with their wardecs, to the point they could neeeearly pass for a player. Example: as Mamluks I get Ottomans to release Serbia/Bulgaria/Greece. Instead of waiting ten years, Ottomans waited till one of those countries allied some other country, declare on that country, took back their cores, and white peace the allied country. Repeat 2 more times.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Poil posted:

Doesn't it just mean you wasted an entire war and a bunch of diplo points for no benefit at all?

I meant took back their cores as in, they separate peace for the cores, before whitepeace with the main country.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Going for Prince of Egypt, seems to be going ok - just wondering if it's any easier as a monarchy (i.e. tanking Republican Tradition till despotism -> monarchy), or if Republic is fine. Mostly due to getting more diplomatic relations, more diplomats, possibilities of PUs...

Actually, achievement says "starting as Florence", so could I go Tuscany->Italy and then Egypt?

Also, it's a funny game - Great Britain (which formed late 1400s) spawned colonialism, their only neighbours hate them (Burgundy and France), Portugal is dead and Castile hasn't taken Exploration - it is now 1540s and no one else has Colonialism yet; not a single province outside of Great Britain has any percentage progress.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's with AI armies going immobile during wars? Had a France/Provence AI war where Provence occupied the entire south side of France while their main stack chilled in Paris.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

uPen posted:

It breaks sometimes, you need to reload the game to fix em.

Yeah, this game tho it's happening constantly - every war I have to restart once or twice or I got half my allies chilling in mountains way across the front while their own lands get carpet sieged.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I think mercs in general are a bit out of hand. Ottomans, Ming (they seem to be the most egregious) shouldn't be able to recruit (what feels like) more than twice their total manpower in mercs, I am not a history buff but those seem far too many. They are chaff, and can be beaten with space marines or a pocket France, but it makes late game wars with Ming/OE far too tedious.

Past a certain size, the merc pool is functionally limitless. Maybe have it so the merc pool can only be equal to a portion of a country land force limit?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

The big problem with killing France early is it makes it feel like you've already won the game by 1500 or so.

My France is consistently broken in every game I played since CoC, they have troops that never move anywhere. I've seen them declare on Provence and lose as Provence just carpets sieges around their immobile, attritioning doomstack. For some reason, they do use them in colonial subjugations. In my Austria game, they're reduced to some territory in South Africa after I kicked them out of Europe.

As an aside, finally saw an AI Ming loss without my intervention: Japan took most of the Manchu land and resisted any tributary war or request, Korea took the rest of Manchu and hosed off, and Russia getting a border on Ming tanked their already weak mandate (they were at 2 decisions in 1550). They've been losing chunks every couple of decades, either to a bloated Transoxiana (!) or to rebellions. I suspect they also have the unmoving armies bug.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 12, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Patch 1.24 is live!

- Low mandate now impacts on available mercs and unrest, up to -100% and +5 respectively
- Effects of devastation on Mandate increased
- Overlord can no longer build units in Tributary States.

Holy poo poo pissssssss

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 12, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's the recommended pace on an Aztec run going for Sunset Invasion? I finished reforms in 1510, but I felt that I was rushing too much; my economy and manpower was in the shitter and all the other centroamericans were 1 miltech ahead of me (6v5).

What I did: force vassal 5 countries, completely annex 2 more, pass reform, release vassals, start over. It worked fine past the first war but eventually one of the other countries got big enough to challenge me one on one (and with force vassal + military strength most/all of my vassals were disloyal).

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

As Date, just took Kyoto from Ashikaga and am now the Shogun. I get the event where you can release Chokosabe - I did. Chokosabe is now a Daymio "under Date and Ashikaga". A few years later, Ashikaga annexes them. What the hell?

Has anyone had this happen before? Bug or feature?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I want to do an Austria HRE run but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've done Brandenburg and expanded the usual way by painting the map grey to make Mega Germany but I want to work within the mechanics of the HRE and expand that way. But how?

https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/6btb1o/a_guide_to_an_overpowered_austria_in_121/

Used this, revoked the privilegia around mid 1500s, PU over Great Britain (was Hungary/Bohemia too before inheriting), Von Habs on Spain/Commonwealth, France's no more.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do I Karaman? Any guides I find say to smother Ottomans with a web of alliances but I can't seem to be able to ally any of the big players - max improved relations, diplo rep advisor and one diplo rep mission reward, army built over force limit and Mamluks are still 10-15 points away to accepting a Royal marriage, let alone an alliance. Hungary/Poland even less so.

The only guys I can ally are the 2 beyliks next to me, Cyprus, and Candar. Maybe QQ sometimes. Just not at all enough to stand against OE once truce is over.

What am I missing?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

You replay the first 10 years until you get a game where the Ottomans get hosed in their first Balkan war. Games where Venice and Hungary are allied are really good for it. Venice is very weird with allies tough, and they often gently caress up in the first year.

This happened eventually, and I managed to snag a triple Wallachia/Mamluks/Hungary alliance, all of which joined in the offensive war.

One 100 WS peace treaty later, I'm missing Byzantium and the AQ province for Rum, Mamluks and Hungary got some territory so they didn't break alliance, and Ottomans went bankrupt immediately. Cue:

Byzantium declared on OE
Serbia+Bosnia declared on OE
Albania+Knights(!) declared on OE

Noble rebels
Bulgarian rebels
Peasant rebels

It's... beautiful.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New dev diary out

Check out that Ireland!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Prav posted:

with provinces this small we're starting to need a better way to capture ground than manually splitting out an infantry regiment for every field and farm

in eu3 ireland was five provinces, here we're looking at 13.

Maybe captured forts could occupy adjacent territory, reverse to what uncaptured forts do?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

Just do what I do and ignore everything without a fort on it?

Well you still need to occupy provinces for other reasons than warscore - blocking straits, spawning rebels, prevent recruitment, tank mandate/increase devastation etc. Especially against Ming and Ottomans you need to occupy as much as possible.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Doing a Shahansha->This is Persia game, it's the mid 1600 and I'm ready to start taking stuff from the Ottomans. I have Russia and Bahmanis allied, vs their Delhi/Tunis; total numbers they have the edge at around 320k to 280k; half of those 320k are mercs. They're 4000 ducats in debt. Ottomans have lowish manpower (40k or so), while my allies are all topped up. Tech equal, I have Defensive and Quality finished. Alone, I have about 60k force limit, but enough money/income to go up to 75k without going into deficit.

What's the best way to cripple them in the first war (hopefully enticing Austria and friends to also declare once they're low enough), as well as starting to take the necessary territories? Currently they border me where the Qonlyus used to be, and they own all territory I need for This is Persia. Optimally I would want to be able to take them on alone by the 3rd war, so as not to rely too much on Russia who's butting heads with Ming on cooldown.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New Dev Diary - Mission system revamp

Focus trees in my EU?

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 23, 2018

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Gort posted:

That looks rad. Maybe we can get some of the feel of moving towards more modern government that you get in Victoria 2 with its social reforms.

This is it. They extend the timeline past 1821 (say until 1936) and voila! Victoria 3 was EU4 all along. What a twist!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

If anyone wants to do a Byzantium playthrough to try out the new missions, I had the following strategy work flawlessly the first 2 times I tried it:

1. Before unpausing: guarantee Candar, mil focus, hire a mil advisor, hire a general from the nobility and pump nobility for mil points and merchants for cash, delete fort in Morea. Set all Ottoman provinces as provinces of interest, except for the Albanian provinces.

2. Improve Relations with Albania, sell your 2 barques and hire up to your army and navy forcelimits with infantry / galleys. While this is happening also improve relations to make a few throwaway allies ASAP (Wallachia is a good one) to reduce the chance of the Ottomans declaring on you.

3. If all goes well then the OE will declare on Albania as their first war; when this happens, ally Albania and accept their CtA. You'll hit mil tech 4 fairly quickly and with Venetian assistance and Skanderbeg the Ottomans are not too difficult to beat in a straight up fight. The AI will pass over occupation of almost all Balkan provinces to you; the aim here is to separate peace for Edirne and whatever else you can get, but don't take your other cores directly. Then when Albania wins their separate war they will force the Ottomans to return your other cores as part of the peace deal, essentially letting you get >150% warscore value of provinces and reparations from a single war.

This also works on hard but you need to restart until you get a dip rep advisor which is required to get a RM with Albania, without which they won't ally you even at max relations.

Tried this, and Venice immediately peaced out after maybe 2 months of war just asking for gold from OE. What gives?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Doesn't Anglican get any CORs? And what's the difference between converting and "proselytizing in the new world", other than getting / spending 400~ ducats?

If OE kill the HRE as they look like they're about to in my game, do I get the Great Britain, Ascendant mission done?

Speaking of OE, new mission systems makes them even more of a beast without player involvement, I'm in the early 1500 and they have killed Poland and Hungary (although Poland keeps getting punitive'd every game due to AE from their very first war), strangled Muscovy in the crib and fed half of it to Crimea, cut Mamluks in half, and are eyeing Austria.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Every single game AI Poland gets coalitiowned right after their Teutonic Order war, they usually take 2-3 provinces and then get dogpiled in a punitive war.

Ottomans instead, eats Hungary whole and not a peep. Is that due to the missions?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

Anything I should know about attacking Ming? (specifically, Ming's Tributary Tondo -- I want the Philippines for myself) I'm ahead of them in tech but I'm not sure I can actually make a stand against them on the continent. I'm thinking I can win at sea with superior tech and just eat up Tondo. I'm not sure I can get Ming to peace out, though. They have so much manpower and it would be difficult to get my armies from Europe to Asia (I'm Spain). I'm fairly comfortable with my position in Europe, though -- France and Provence are my buds and we are tight there.

When I was GB, I was attacking Gujarat, who was Ming's tributary. After maybe a year I offered some territory I already had in India to Gujarat as a separate peace with Ming; they accepted. I then finished the war with Gujarat alone, took back what I gave away in the Ming peace treaty and the rest of the stuff I wanted.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How best to fight with Russia as Yuan? I have pretty much the needed territory + Korea, enough tributaries to be mandate positive. My army is about half Russia's, got tech parity. They're not attacking me but rather holy warring one of my buffer tributaries, if that changes things.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Firebatgyro posted:

Just fight them normally, Russian troops suck compared to any of the real great powers

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lol, streltsy disagrees.

So what I did was sending 3-4 merc cavalry units to siege stuff as far away as possible, as well as burning stuff, while my two actual stacks sieged the forts as far away as possible; it worked, as they evenntually peaced out with my tributary (Yeren), who requested:

Cores returned to Sweden
Cores returned to Lithuania
Cores returned to Bukhara

and 10 ducats. Thanks a lot, Yeren :sigh:

Weird thing about their army composition: miltech 17, they had 112k infantry and 2k cavalry. 0 artillery.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's an easy way to complete the center mission for Vijayanagar? You're supposed to have no Tamil provinces with more than 0 unrest and over 50% authonomy. Feed them all to a vassal?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Cynic Jester posted:

You only need to decrease autonomy in...two provinces? The rest start at 50%, so a month tick will clear it, then increase stab and get a theologian so the unrest from decreasing autonomy doesn't take it above 0.

Turns out I only checked after the event chain that adds authonomy or unrest in that very area. A restart later, just needed to reduce in 2 provinces, unrest advisor and new rebel suppression did the trick. Cheers!

Fister Roboto posted:

Italy is getting trampled by elephants and it's all your fault Pope Gregorius. You god drat loving moron.

Perfection.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 10, 2018

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Trade Charters kinda break Ming in the mid/late game - I noticed that Ming's mandate was tanking in the early 1700, but couldn't figure out why - then I noticed that AI Manchu sold a coastal province that bordered Ming to... Great Britain.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Interesting new feature coming up:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Basically the random world generator will sometimes give a country the Mechanical Government type, and you'll get a popup about Synths invading. Here are some screenshots shamelessly stolen from the subreddit:

They even get unique units:

An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

As Lithuania, is it best to hold off PU'ing Muscovy via mission until they form Russia? Reason being, they won't pick exploration normally, but as Russia they'll get Siberian frontier eventually, and better ideas/more claims.

Also as Lithuania, how do you usurp HRE? I got Bohemia in a PU pretty much immediately but even with Brandenburg and Saxony allied/married/200 Relations I was always at least 40-50 below Austria in preference in their vote. Is it only through vassalizing?

I must say it's fun to be in early 1500 with Hungary, Bohemia and Muscovy in a PU, and Sweden as vassal. RIP diplo points tho.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

Playing as Japan, it's 1600 and I stupidly didn't become a Ming tributary before I turned GP, so now all expansion (outside the new world, where I'm happily colonizing) is pretty much blocked and I need to find a way to conquer the little islands and Korea. Is there a good way to muscle in on Ming without getting my teeth kicked in?

I could, with enough time and money, build a superior navy. If I declare war on a tributary and Ming joins in, will this provoke them to try to invade Japan proper so I can beat them with home turf advantage? They've landed invasions before and I defeated those no problem, but those were offensive wars on their part.

If you're a Japan GP Ming should be your personal ATM. Do what Rabidweasel posted but don't stop there, declare war on day one the truce timer is up, get more money, repeat.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm trying to do the holy trinity achievement - what can be done to counteract the liberty desire while being a small country? Not counting Knights, Teutons and Livonians, the plan is to no-cb vassalize Byz and get their cores back from the OE, as well as transferring Naples with the age ability as that's just too tempting. That's 5 vassals, 3 of which must be marches, and the Pope has 5 provinces; can't wait to vassalize TO and LO cause they eventually get eaten and are a bitch and a half to recreate (especially LO). So it is likely I will have at least 3 vassals at a time, most of which are bigger than me.

Any tricks?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Prav posted:

use your mana to develop their provinces

Yeah, but won't that make it worse in the long run? Doesn't total development count (negatively) as well, or is it just military strength?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

skasion posted:

TO and LO are both inclined to get conquered early and since they aren’t primary nations of any culture (iirc) they can potentially lose all their cores and become unreleasable

Indeed. LO is even worse as they are prussian culture with no prussian culture provinces so to revive them in case they are conquered you have just 50 years and have to culture convert one of the provinces to Prussia. It's a pain in the rear end!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

"Euros buying land in Asia for no good reason" tho is amazing when they buy land right next to Ming :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

So how does settling minorities work

Tried a Castile game. What it does is, when you select a province to send a colonist too, you get the option to spend Dip and send a minority as well, from one of your provinces. Cost seems to be scaled to origin province dev, and you get a ... +10% colonist chance? Either that or +10 population a year. Also better dev once you finish colonizing, I think, and of course the culture you chose.

To put it into perspective: I had a Cuba colonial nation and halfway to Colombia's before Portugal finished colonizing their second province.

TorakFade posted:

Conquered Granada and the Sevilla trade node part of northern Morocco, now I see that I have a mission that would give me a restoration of Union casus belli on Portugal. Can I use that somehow without breaking alliance first? Or should I break alliance, wait 5 years, complete the mission and grab Portugal as a pu too? They're only allied with England and that doesn't scare me at all.

The CB lasts for 25 years so you have time even if you complete the mission immediately. You do need to break Alliance or eat the stab hit tho. Wait till they get Exploration ideas (and maybe Expansion?) first, as a subject will never pick those ideas.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 12, 2018