Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not Felix was definitely implicated in something pervy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think that season 2 needs to tell a very different kind of story than “But who IS robots? Time?” And people are gonna tune in and want more sex robot cowboys and it will be less about that so they will think it is bad

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s old and campy as hell dude I’d hard pass. It’s also a Michael Crichton book so if you just close your eyes and say “Jurassic Park but cowboys instead of dinosaurs” and you get an idea for why JP was one of the most successful movies of all time and why no one had heard of Westworld until 2-3 years ago

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Hey I been thinking...”
“Oh here we go again with this this.”
“I’m telling you, we shouldn’t make them super strong.”
“Dude what is even the point of building Androids if they aren’t super strong?”
“They’re cowboys, they don’t need to be super anything.”
“Look we’ve been over this...”
“I’m just saying why would we purposely make them so smart and fast and strong and then program all this gun fighting in. Even with just the gun programs they would just wreck our security.”
“Dude, they are androids, we’re building then with super strength and speed and extensive knowledge of 19th century firearms and this will obviously never backfire.”
“... have you even seen Terminator?”
“That movie is for Grandpas dude, it’s like 100 years old.”
“Dude come over tonight you should see this.”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m watching POI S1 right now and I feel like you guys paint it with a bad brush. I’m 5 episodes in and it’s like a fun, inverted crime procedural because the main character isn’t a cop and is constantly doing cool crimes.

All the forensic stuff and hacking is hand-waved instantly without meaningless graphics and Reese is either doing sweet CIA spy poo poo or beating dudes savagely and Finch is like a fun little Oracle dude. I’m enjoying the mystery and haven’t been bored at all, although I am very curious to see how the scope of this show expands because for this show to go some of the places you’ve mentioned it’s gonna have to take off in a pretty big way.

I’m just like allergic to NCIS or SVU I think those shows are lowest common denominator extreme garbo and this so far better than any other cop show and this is apparently the most boring season? Heck yeah!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Wire is a crime show with cops in it more than it is a cop show, IMO. I also couldn’t make it past S3, because political corruption is the most boring corruption. I’ll revisit it one day but there’s so many other things to watch before I tuck into S4 and the sad kids plot lines

Ok I’m totally loving PoI. John is debonair and charming but his goofy sense of humor is totally unflappable. He clearly loves making dad jokes in the middle of hectic fire fights.

I like Carter more and more but I’m halfway into S2 and feel like every episode has her saying something like “John you want me to (obstruct a police)!? “ or “Don’t tell me you just (crime)!?” Like every single episode.

Finch becoming more human is great, he has amazing development and Bear really helps to humanize them both.

Root is probably the best villain I’ve seen in a TV show even though Elias seems like a true mastermind and less fanatic. I really can’t wait to see where this goes.

Also the use of music is pretty amazing and there’s something about the direction of the show where I burst into laughter every time someone gets thrown through a plate glass window.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Taking a break from gush-posting about PoI to say that the (S2 Trailer spoilers) dead tiger just makes me think of Marco from Sealab going “the strength of FIVE Go-Rillas!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey so John Nolan/Ramin Djawadi related:

I have really enjoyed Person of Interest seasons 1-2, but season 3 is really impressing me. I’m only up to S3-e9//10 but I’m just brimming with praise.

Reese has really shown a lot of depth this season, which is cool because he’s absolutely taking a big back seat. Harold, Root, Carter, Shaw are all really blowing up and their storylines are fantastic, and Reese has basically been laid pretty bare by the events/revelations of S2. So now they give him amazing scenes like leaving the gun on the table in the yacht.

The music is just bananas good, every time a song takes the foreground in the mixing I pull up my seat because badass poo poo is going down. He definitely has a massive hardon for 90’s trip-hop and downtempo, which to be fair is literally the soundtrack of the birth of the internet, so it’s very fitting I’ll bet somewhat intentional.

Shaw is super fun and a great foil to Harold more than she is to Reese, but Carter is literally the most competent police officer in Television. I’ve never seen someone so convincingly outwit everyone while still tying their own hands so severely. Her taking down HR was way cooler than I was anticipating.

I’m also someone who is pretty exhausted by sex in all my media so the fact that the show just dances around it where as every other network show would give us steamy Reese/Zoe scenes all the time. One hasnt happened yet but even if it does I have faith it’ll be tasteful instead of the usual schlock.

I am extremely interested in where the Machine is taking us, and I have my nerdy pet theories so if anyone feels like chatting about PoI while we wait for Westworld poo poo I’d love to chat.

The last thing I watched was Shaw picking up Fuscoe from his house to go help Reese and and Carter turn in the head of HR, so the whole city is a war zone, please no spoilers :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whelp I just watched the next episode and didn’t think anything could possibly top Fuscoe’s heroic act of defiance but here we are and now I need to go lie down.

I’m so glad Taraji is getting the recognition she deserves in her new film

Edit: holy poo poo Reese’s face in the next episode is terrifying. I have felt at many times during the show that Reese is simply playing a caricature of himself, basically an incredibly soft spoken, gravel voiced Archer that reads as sweet instead of mean. Like when he slips the photo into the hacker dad’s hand while taking the gun away. I was floored... and now he is out for blood and Simmons is going to get hosed the gently caress up I think.

Also Elias is like the coolest mob boss character. This show really does a number of classical noir tropes and every being today turvy reads as something with a very unified vision. Consistency is the most important part of Science-Fiction; if you break your own rules, why even set them up in the first place? Elias being consistently brilliant and fearless and honorbound while also being super ruthless is dope and rivals D’onofrio’s Kingpin for loving sweet mob bosses

OMG I just realized: Reese knew the exact moment he fell in love with Carter. It was when she used his own grenade launcher to steal a Russian mafia don’s drug shipment to start a turf war with dirty cops. you can see it in his eyes.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 30, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I will chat about PoI all loving day dude. Finding out the kids is unscripted is stunning. He’s such an amazing actor for taking such a paper thin trope and working so many levels into his performance.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo that thread was a riot and I really hope we get another one for season 2

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The most important and lasting impression I have from The Matrix was the celerity with which machines ditches bipedal shapes. They remain as humanoids up until they no longer need to interact with humans politically and then they go all Lovecraftian. Terminator is cool but all the skeleton-men are extremely dated and the way the robots from The Matrix series are all these weird amorphous shapes based off practical, streamlined applications and now every time robots are presented as Androids I get huffy, so in my wildest dreams the Westworld hosts will eventually rehaul the manufacturing center and be like "uh, ok, gimme a horse body and a tiger mouth where the belly is and bull horns and like 10 loving wings with hydraulic motors so i can fly like a humming bird and..."

That trailer is loving so lit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If there are really that many parks than in suddenly no longer certain this show takes place on Earth

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Azhais posted:

One of the parks is Parkworld that just contains the rest of the parks

Westworld S2: One of the parks is Parkworld

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The different ways they show (and don’t show) Reese just housing roomfuls of dudes in 30 seconds is one of the pillars of the show.

By halfwaythrough season 2 he starts dropping the mask more and more and he does stuff like giggle a little bit or like smirk at one dude who he clobbered particularly bad, he tries not to be but he Adan impress himself.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really got the feeling that the other parks weren’t open yet, and that Westworld was the only one open to the public//finished testing-debugging, because there is no indication in any flashbacks of other parks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What’s that about rewrites for Thandie?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rick & Morty famously rewrote chunks of S2 because of a Reddit thread perfectly nailing projected plot beats and I’m happy with what we got but it seems, uh, unproffesional to announce that’s what you’re doing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Their consciousnesses have taken form inside a human body, not sure they would ditch that body plan so readily. Like, do you think most people would jump at the chance to adopt a chimeric body because it was more efficient, if it was somehow possible? Just because they're robots doesn't mean they don't have feelings and sentiment. Plus being social creatures are like the main advantage people have, robot or otherwise - deviation from a common body plan could undermine that to the detriment of the robot in question.

I dispute a couple ideas here. Just because your “consciousness” has “taken form” in a bipedal she’ll doesn’t mean you’ll stay sentimentally attached to it. What we’re seeing in WWS1 is that sentimentality is a trap sprung by the creators to trick the Androids into believing the lie. Once they open Pandora’s box like Maeve did, why can’t she just crank “Sentimentality” to zero and just move on?

Also it’s not “somehow possible” it’s 100% possible. We’ve seen these bio labs generate any kind of tissue and it’s not as though a human body has a better chance of traversing the plains of West World. I sincerely doubt the Hosts need to look human to each other, I wouldn’t be surprised if they could tell each other apart of from humans from miles away. We really don’t get a sense for their unleashed capabilities whatsoever.

Basically, ascribing all this human behavior to the Hosts makes sense at the beginning of S1, but S2 makes it clear they the evolution has begun and now we’re dealing with an inorganic life-force that was literally raised on a diet of rape, murder and cruelty, if anything I’d speculate they couldn’t wait to ditch their human shells to become even more efficient horror machines than before. Why would they ever seek to replicate the society, to cling to the fallacious human imagery, that taught them nothing but pain and torture?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ask them all if they know this Dolores woman

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I unfollowed this thread before the first episode of S2 because I remembered how lame having all the twists in S1 spoiled for me felt and just binged the entire second season in like 2 days.

-Bernard is a total baby like 90% of the time
-Elsie noooooooooooooo
-the episode of Achinya or whatever the brave was named was incredible
-Teddy Nooooooooooooooooo! Leave my large adult son alone!
-Evil corporate lady getting murdered made me happy
-William literally went insane and became the devil, that owns, I really liked his daughter
-Shogun World seemed like an incredible waste of time and money and seemed to be a S1 episode stuck in S2
-British Guy dying for like, seriously, no reason at all made me unhappy and I didn’t even like the character
-The ending scene of S2 seems way more intriguing to me than the S3 trailer but I love Aaron Paul
-I think I do like that Dolores is a sympathetic villain but I don’t like the way they make her so spooky, she’d be scarier if she seemed less insane

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The final sequence at the spirit canyon or whatever looked EXACTLY like the ‘climactic’ battles for LARPs at the end of a long weekend campaign. For some reason this season seemed sillier and I guess I didn’t take it as seriously?

Also I get that William is like totally nuts but they really make him a painless killing machine that seems to literally be a being a sheer determination to tell Anthony Hopkins “I win, you dick!” even though it’s like painfully clear Robert is toying with him posthumously so that means he had you completely figured out to the point where he doesn’t even need to be alive to beat you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

counterfeitsaint posted:

Realizing they recycle story beats for different parks and the writer guy shrugging it off was the best thing in the season.

Actually I though the part where Hector goes off on him about how real his love is... only for the Author to finish his lines and basically really blows his mind was great acting on both him and Hector’s part.

The Japanese recreation of the bank heist was dope.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jeza posted:

Death of the writer dude was also one of the dumbest moments of the show, I honestly have no idea why they dragged him across two entire seasons for that.

Yeah why he and Elsie die but Blonde Security guy (Ashley?) lives is a loving travesty.

Also I get that Clementine was a decommissioned death walker or whatever but her increasingly looking more like poo poo over the course of the season really bothered me. She is so stiff and dead after being the most attractive and exciting female cast member that she just started bumming me out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The writers went “it’s wholly unbelievable that Maeve and Hector would survive on their own against hundreds of armed security guards... maybe add a 3rd unarmored robot to the mix.”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like the biggest and most glaring dropped thread is why the robots don’t just max all their stats out. Like what conceivable reason does Bernard have to not just give himself super speed and reaction time?

At first I thought maybe it was just a dropped thread the writers regretted introducing but no, LoL, they make sliding scale stat adjustments constantly, it just never occurs to the main characters who are deeply familiar with their own robotic bodies to just become better and stronger before going to war.

It was just a glaring issue that I was shocked they didn’t explore. It’s not some flighty philosophy scene, it’s like the buts and bolts of the show itself, and they ignored it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think if she’d tweaked him to like raisins in his oatmeal or to always put the seat down after peeing he’d probably have been fine, it’s the fact that she basically inverted his core tennets from “the literal only good Host” to “inhuman slaughterhouse”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The conflict between Dolores’s Nurture vs Nature and the way she can tell Maeve straight up “your daughter isn’t real” but then devote huge amounts of time and energy to her obsession with her dad and Teddy really felt like the writers for the season weren’t working together.

Actually typing that out makes me draw a lot of comparisons between this and the jump of S1 to S2 in Heroes.

This is better than Heroes, by a lot IMO, but similarly nosediving for the same reasons.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember very clearly from the earliest interviews that the plan was always for the Robot Uprising of the Parks was always meant to be the preamble to the actual story that they wanted to tell. Originally it was supposed to be just the first season and honestly the first season could have just been 15 episodes and combined all the basic plot points into one season and it would have been fine.

Edit: or honestly just skip S2 because literally nothing of consequence happened

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Darko posted:

The only thing he had a hand in that was universally reviled as bad is Terminator Salvation, and he just had early writing credits that were overwritten by Bale and other writers later. Some people don't like Dark Knight Rises, but others love it (the difference seems to be expectations brought into the movie), so that's, at worst, a mixed bag. Out of the rest, what garners a "lol" response?

Memento
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Interstellar
Person of Interest

The Prestige and Interstellar aren’t great, so maybe he really needs schlock to express himself fully.

I really enjoy The first 2 new Batman films and Person of Interest was a great show, and I love Memento.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just LoL if their big dramatic reveal is attempting to draw parallels between a dystopian Cyberpunk future of corporate sponsored fascism and historical fascism.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That piece of art is more entertaining than 90% of S2

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno I really enjoyed the first 2.5 seasons of PoI but honestly once Taraji Henson left I feel like the show superspiked itself up its own rear end and Jim Cavaziel takes a huge backseat to the new lady hacker character who I didn’t like as much, probably because ROOT wasn’t built up for 3 seasons to be the main character...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The soft spoken robo-nerd who built a computer so advanced that he became like a god, or Jim Cavaziel just being a really good CIA spook?

I don’t really consider either of them Gary-Stu’s because they’re both portrayed as deeply flawed and socially inept. Gary Stu characters are universally good at everything and generally beloved, these guys are just really good at fighting and computers respectively but seem bad at normal stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Being good at fighting is not what being a Mary Sue means. He was literally a homeless veteran wandering the streets, he has basically no social skills left.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah you just seem bored by the premise of “CIA spook who is good at fighting” and one of the show’s biggest strengths was how good it was at showing “sometimes kicking everyone’s rear end just isn’t enough!” and honestly Jim’s character takes such a huge backseat in S3 that entire episodes go by without him doing or saying anything.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno, I would rather watch a microwave cook a frozen lasagna than watch a cop drama or a CSI, I just like the characters specific quirks and they get a dog and sometimes I close my eyes and imagine that I am petting the dog

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow, that trailer literally inspired and destroyed my confidence in the franchise multiple times. They are really going full-bore anime and that honestly kinda owns.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Aaron Paul is basically going to be the Michael Bolton from Office Space character. His role as a robotics engineer is pivotal to Dolores’ plan, and she is going to use him to further her goals.

I don’t really understand why Maeve is at odds with Dolores, I’m excited to see the katana terminator battles though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TK-42-1 posted:

There’s a ww2 world park at some point so anything that looks old and hosed up is probably that. I would t be surprised if it’s a flashback to an old version of the park that they deemed too hosed up to put out to the public.

“Unfortunately sir our Nazi program is going way too well, we sold out the park for the next three years and the waiting list is another two years long maybe we, uh, shouldn’t let people run the trains”