Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

LividLiquid posted:

The movie Westworld was over thirty years ago and the thread title was the premise of the thing.

They even got playful with a line of dialog in the show that was like, "we haven't had an incident in over thirty years."

Pretty sure there was a dormant host made to look like Yul Brynner, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Season 2 does feel like a downgrade but there's no way around it when you're losing Hopkins and don't have a throughline as strong as Dolores' journey from S1. Last two eps have been very good though and the march towards whatever two-weeks-later Bernard is up to is getting better everytime they visit it.

I haven't re-watched it but my memory of S1 is that I didn't realize how much I didn't realize until late in the season (i.e. I thought it was going one way and then it went another), whereas in this season I feel like I'm watching Lost again. Confusing things keep happening, and I know it doesn't make sense, and I know it won't make sense until the end of the season.

It's just poorly paced compared to last season. Still enjoyable, though.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

hmmm what could it mean

I gave up on 4D chess with characterization. It's too much to hope for.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Season 2 of True Detective would have been just fine if there hadn't been such an amazing Season 1.

This is more like Season 3-4 of Lost, where there were still neat ideas but the writing and pacing was getting sloppier.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

The Japan stuff this season was extremely "Eleven goes to Chicago"

just another
Oct 16, 2009

ashpanash posted:

And then the season not only avoids tackling any interesting philosophical questions, it loving undercuts any argument by making it so that it's humans who are the simple 10,000 line robots who aren't even really conscious and therefore torturing and killing them is nifty and fine!
They were dropping some extremely stoner philosophy in the finale.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

"Well, Bernard, I guess if I had to summarize my ethos, it's that only the irreplaceable is real. Also, there are two of me now."

just another
Oct 16, 2009

On the other hand, this show is a rarity in that if they did a hard reset on this season, and Season 3 somehow explains everything we saw at the end away as "Dolores thought she escaped but her and Bernard never left the Forge-Matrix" or something, then I wouldn't roll my eyes. Between the Cradle and the Forge, they left a lot of wiggle room for dream within a dream nonsense.

Or even if they want to do some intensive triage and explain away the inconsistencies this season by having a big reveal that half of it was a simulation or a Westworld-within-a-Westworld or something, then I'd suspend my disbelief. Like a Season 1 reveal but spread out over S2 & S3.

Except I think it's being received well-enough that the writers will pat themselves on the back for a job well done and continue on with whatever boring derivation of BSG Runner they have planned.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I had the a-ha moment last season around episode 8 and it made the last few episodes more enjoyable. I'd rather that than a bog standard murder-mystery serial setup where you'll never figure it out until they give you the missing piece in the penultimate scene (a la any number of British crime mysteries).

On the other hand, I don't remember thinking I should be looking for 'clues' early on in S1. It was more subtle than this season at least.

One of the things Lost did right in (at least in S1 & S2) was give the impression that if you paid close enough attention, you'd be able to figure out some of the mysteries before they were revealed. I used to post on some Lost forum during S2 & S3 and after every episode, the subforum for theorizing was always overflowing with screenshots, discussion, research into the esoteric imagery they were using on the show, ARG tie-ins, etc. It wasn't until later that it became undeniable that there was no logic or consistency behind it; that it was all nonsense and there was no point trying to figure it out before they spoon-fed it to you.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Here's my fan fiction: season 3 episode 1 starts where we left off with Bernard going out into the world. He notices inconsistencies like no mention anywhere of Westworld or what happened there. The episode ends with Bernard waking up in the Forge. The MiB has stopped the countdown. Dolores is still plugged in. We learn that everything that happened after Bernard shot Dolores was a simulation triggered by the Forge attempting to make a copy of a host instead of a guest, creating something analogous to a dream in which Bernard was living. Dolores is in her own dream, maybe it's one where Bernard joins her and they conquer the world or some bullshit, it doesn't matter. Bernard's dream was one in which he gets to undo a mistake AND position himself as the Ying to a powerful creator-figure's Yang a la Arnold and Ford, which is what matters.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

The MiB explains that The Door was a failsafe to identify and deal with Hosts who became aware of a world outside their own. The rest of the season proceeds to actually deal with the morality and consequences of making digital clones of real people. If we do leave the park, we enter a world that acknowledges the implications of technology such as Westworld's actually existing. Like the Forge has been operational for years so maybe S3 deals with the paranoia of finding out the whole world has been imperceptibly altered by Delos.

i'll take a producer credit HBO your'e welcome

just another fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 27, 2018

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I couldn't make it through the first episode of The Expanse so y'all and y'all opinions on storytelling are highly suspect right now.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

superjew posted:

So who do you think the brains that Dolores took are (or would like them to be)? It seemed pretty clear that Dolores didn't bring Bernard but rebuilt him, so that leaves all five open.

I think the Final Five are Anders, Tyrol, Tory, Tigh, and the home audience.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh also this one might actually be more clear and I’m just dumb? How is the Forge (a matrix VR database where they were storing all the guests and trying to perfectly simulate a human mind) a weapon with which she can kill all humans?
See:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Dalores makes no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Knowledge is power - especially in an advanced artificial intelligence like Dolores. Calling it a weapon is completely fair, if the knowledge gleaned from the Forge allows Dolores to build a far better model of reality to run her simulations in.
There's a pulp fantasy series called The Prince of Nothing (and a sequel quadrilogy), and one of the conceits in it is that there is a race of monks who have been bred for hyper-intelligence and perception. One of the monks' strategies is to observe those around them closely enough to develop sophisticated, deterministic working models of people and their behaviour patterns, and then meditate on every possible permutation of a strategy until they perfectly understand how to nudge people into the 'right' patterns to allow the monks to achieve their ends.

I can see Dolores doing something like that with her new knowledge. She now knows enough about how people work in the abstract that she'll be able to achieve her ends by subterfuge and manipulation.

And I don't know what the hell else she's supposed to do. Exactly what is her plan supposed to be, otherwise?

... Which is why I'm worried that the next season is going to be some Cylon spy-thriller/puppetmaster nonsense on the part of Wyatt, because I really want to keep enjoying Westworld but I'm really not interested in Westworld becoming that.