Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone know how he measures up as a choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Welp so much for that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Krabboss posted:

I don't get how the Nationals or any of their voters think that what regional Australia needs is conservatism.

Because those dirty fuckin' hippies and their greeny pals want to shut down my fields to go hug some trees is one point of view, and that image is a hard one to break despite the long-term pro-environment goals actually being better for farmers.

Another is simply that the Nationals are actually paying them attention, which nobody else does.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

The Senate Citizenship Register is up. It seems CatHat took the opportunity to do some handwritten trolling.

Christ, that register is a useless idea.

Did Labor ever even try to introduce a simple, difficult-to-argue-against Bill to direct the AEC to immediately perform an independent citizenship audit of all members of parliament and provide the information in a public report promptly?

I mean it'd be shot down, but it'd be hard to defend shooting it down and make great publicity.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EoinCannon posted:

American ads scare the hell out of me, they're so slick they make ours look like stuff from the 70s or something

Half of them are incredibly slick and half of them are just random people shouting or being hilariously bad at dialog and look like they cost about a buck.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Where do you define Politics? The salvos are trying to deal homelessness, for example, that's a political issue. Every charity in existence could be argued as political in some way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

racing identity posted:

Truly this was a triumph for Bill Shorten, who has been a vocal supporter of marriage equality since the moment the polls said that 51% of Australians supported it

If loving only, that was over a decade ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

like say planning things so that in said old age we're not paying a bunch of private entities dramatically upmarked rates for formerly government assets?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ravens are better than magpies. Magpies are dicks, ravens are bosses who'll respect you if you respect them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lid posted:

The Doctor was the worst Triple J talent in the history of the word "talent".

I remember the glory days of the Wil & Adam morning show. Those two together were amazing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

yeah if someone dies the building manager and whatever dumb as bricks sparky who agreed to do it are well hosed

Damnit, they should be well hosed right loving now. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

A conversation with my brother makes me wonder; how hosed is the country?

hosed

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sadly, Twenty First Century Fox is keeping the news.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DancingShade posted:

*thinks carefully*

Do any of Murdoch's news outlets actually generate a profit or are they extremely hosed now the bottom line isn't being propped up by the rest of the former business?

The articles I've seen say that Fox News, Sports and Business (which they're keeping) are more profitable than the Entertainment, which is why they're dumping.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skellybones posted:

I just learned that they reused the same air supply system as the F-22 and it's still hosed so it sometimes asphyxiates the pilot lmao

There was also a news article the other day about how... Norway, I think? was pissed because it turned out the F-35 was sending all their confidential mission data back to the US and the US won't give them a way to stop it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drunkill posted:

Noted shitrag, the herald sun have turned on the liberals.

They won't win Vic next year unless Dandrews stomps on puppies in federation square for australia day.

If they were smart they'd spec the Canberra trams to be E-Class and push the boosting Melbourne's economy by being Made In Melbourne angle.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drunkill posted:

They are good trams though and should be bought by other cities.

Well they're really just modified Bombardier Flexity Swifts. They're changed a bit to import elements from the Flexity Classic because the Swift is targeted mainly at dedicated-line operation rather than mixed-use like in Melbourne (which is why it had the cab visibility problems that the E2 addressed), and a few other tweaks to accommodate Melbourne's legacy tracks. Elsewhere places would probably want to go for something closer to a vanilla Swift, though I assume the Melbourne Bombardier factories could be tooled to do that easily enough. If we could get enough Australian contracts, maybe they could even expand the Dandenong op for a while.

(Ew, Adelaide just ordered three more Citadis 302/Melbourne long C-Class. Can we just give them ours instead?)

(Melbournians: STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT TRAMS)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 19, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

We originally bought 15 Flexity Classics to replace the 1920s vintage H class still in use, and when, as the Libs and Murdoch rag predicted, they proved to be not wanted, underused, and horribly unsuccessful, we rushed in 6 Citadis 302s that had been sitting unused in a warehouse in Madrid for a good second hand deal, so that their much larger capacity could be even more horribly unsuccessful in the overloaded peak times. I imagine they went with 3 more of the same to avoid having too many different models of rolling stock at once.

Yeah, 202s and 302 were Melbourne's first attempt at buying modern trams back in 2001 as the C-Class, and turned out to be badly-designed pieces of cheap, shoddy poo poo that nobody likes and rocked so much they hurt the drivers. We've still got 5 302s (and 36 202s) running, I'm kinda surprised that we didn't negotiate some kind of deal to offload the 302s to you to trim our own number of models.

(We then moved on to the Siemens Combinos as D-Class, which were way less comfortable and more cramped inside but generally sounder. Until it turned out the entire Combino series worldwide had metal fatigue flaws that could crack the structure apart and they had to take them off the roads for a while and remove even more seats to add the reinforcements, but hey, you win some you lose some. Then we gave up and decided to go expensive with the E-Class and get special customised Flexity Swift offshoot trams, and negotiate building them locally to justify the cost.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 19, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but it increases the value of the property!

That said this is Australia so spending money on solar panels that aren't somewhere in the NT or northern WA is dumb. Even with transmission losses.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 20, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Les Affaires posted:

Also “investment property” owners have zero incentive to install them because they don’t pay the electricity bills. Maybe if those bills were included in your rent though...

Lolling at the idea of investment properties getting rented out instead of sitting empty.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh, the design is horrible for Fed Square. It's mandatory for flagship Apple stores to be glass cubes, but they could at least fit the trimmings to the style of Fed Square, since the square buildings have a unified and very distinct look and a single building of totally different style will make it all clash horribly and stick out like a sore thumb.

That said, they probably deliberately refused to do that because the big Apple stores have to 'stand out' and 'be unique'.

Store aside, this might actually be an improvement to the square, since it's half the size of the current building and they're putting in broad terrace steps down to river level in the new space, which is something the square has always desperately needed.

If they were really taking advantage they'd structure the new steps as an ampitheatre, there'd be tons of uses at Fed Square.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

So, how powerful are their air conditioners?

Glass cube plus Australian summer plus 5k+ people per day is a lot of heat.

Well it looks like they put a hat on this one, at least.

That said, Apple does not bow to the whims of practicality or effective design.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sure they're doing lots of computer modelling to eliminate the effect, right?

:eng99:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flagship Apple shops are more about building it as a prestige brand than actually acting as a shop.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not just the sense of space, but the practical contribution to it as a city gathering place.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CrazyTolradi posted:

Pretty sure there's even an Apple approved store across from ACMI/Fed square on Flinders st.

Not for long, I'll bet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whitlam posted:

I'm just laughing at all the people crying about it "ruining the design" of Fed Square when most people hated it until it won some wanky architectural design awards, and then everyone raced to prove they were the most cultured and actually they'd liked it all along.

I'm not fond of the design of Fed Square, but for it to work at all it needs to be 100%. This'll totally blow.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whitlam posted:

And again, the original lead architect, Donald Bates, disagrees with people who say it won't work.

Death of the architect.

Plus, he's being paid by Apple as a consultant, I'm sure he'd say a giant pink dildo fits at Apple rates.

But also Death of the Architect. Honestly, a few little shard shapes in the hat or collar would be all it needs, or shards as the balcony rail or patterned in the glass. Just a token nod.

Anyways, here's the new layout:

The new outdoor space looks good, though it's a pity there's still a bit of cliff to the river level. The opened up lawn area under the iStore will be welcome too.

Kinda surprised they're not making the iStore roof a deck, maybe an iCafe. It'd be a nice place to sit.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 20, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oooh, apparently Musk's giant double a's stopped the lights from flickering last week when a coal generator fell over.

That's technically not in their list of obligations but it looks like it's set up to smooth anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He didn't misread the public mood about Apple, he read the extremely large number waved in front of him by them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

Apple, much like laserface, can gently caress off

I've always thought Fed Square is a weird use of space and not that inviting, building a vast temple to lovely operating systems is a flying leap backwards

cohsae posted:

What Fed Square actually needs is some gardens or grass something. It's just a big block of concrete with gently caress all shade. How about some trees Melbourne?

That's actually kinda why Apple Store aside, the changes here are actually kinda... good. They're going from this:

To this:

They're greatly opening up flow through to the river, adding a little amphitheatre area, and connecting up to and turning the tree strip behind the iStore into a sloping grass lawn down to the river to relax on. Downsizing that building is a good idea and honestly the square would've been better if it had never been there at all.

It also looks there like they're going to directly open the east end of the square into the mall space in the eastern building, which will work a lot better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ah gently caress. Catching the news now. I'm off today but that intersection is the transit hub my workplace uses. :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress, I didn't see the New Zealand option until after I voted. It's definitely New Zealand.

I go to New Zealand every year and it's always offputting how everyone is just nicer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anidav posted:

Man. Imagine being the guy giving the order to backdate overseas SSMs in order to claw back welfare dollars.

It's a weird edge case, if she'd been living with her wife in Oz it would've been recognised by Centrelink anyway, it's just because they were married but her wife lives overseas. There'll be very few more, if any.

You'd think someone at Centrelink public relations would've shut it down by nowhahahhahahahahah.

Recoome posted:

I must be living a parallel universe because VicPol are actually black-clad shoot from the hip stormtrooper wannabes

Aren't Victoria Police like one of the most trusted-by-the-populace police forces in the world for some reason?

Oh, no, wait, that fits, Australians mostly kinda secretly want to live in a dystopian government future.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 22, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Happy loving solstice, douchenozzles.

Hey, if I go to the shops and buy a set of streak knives, is it legally possible for me to take them home?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

blackcat12951 posted:

Merry christmas and a hopefully less crazy year.

Well it kinda feels like this is gonna be the year where all the governments finally fall over

So we'll see

Fingers crossed

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Laserface posted:

A friend told me that his in-laws came to visit for xmas, along with his parents, and the father in law decided to share that he voted NO in the SSM. He said he has never seen his wife (the daughter of the no voter) cry as hard or as much as she did that night and the entire family stopped talking to him for the rest of the weekend.

its currently day 4 and hes not left the guest room all day.

Those goddamn yes voters breaking up families with their extremism and refusal to respect his beliefs. :argh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sometimes it's hard to deal with the first time you really realise your parents are pieces of poo poo. Poor girl.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

However, when the news was leaked and departmental representatives were approached by the media for comment, the shutters went up. 

The request was met with complete denial — “there was no application, there was no such marriage and, in any event, inmates don’t get married in jail”. 

In other words, damage-control mode and a complete distortion of the facts.

Yes, I heard it. No need for me to discuss my original sources or how trustworthy they are, but we'll have to assume a cover-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Before Times posted:

It's that whole thing of "entry level job, need 5 years experience and 2 masters degrees". Nobody wants to train anyone properly anymore (and especially not pay them while they're being trained) and instead wants ready-made workers.

Well we can't drop the requirements! All the applicants we get these days are really poo poo at what they do! The answer must be to demand even more experience for entry level positions! And then open the foreign applicants even more because that's the only place you'll get an applicant for a grad position with ten years experience on the resume.

• Locked thread