Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lovely feyd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I had a roommate in high school whose favourite book was The Butlerian Jihad and his favourite band was Dimmu Borgir.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is it just me or did they make the planet + lens flare in the logo way more prominent compared to the leaked one from a few months back. Are they appeasing the big brains who were all Whats Dunc about it

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Lea Seydoux as Feyd

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

Is that an EVE character portrait cause it sure looks like it.
Didn't read your post but lol the thing you quoted looks like a character portrait from EVE, Online

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Just got out of a secret test preview screening for hot people with big brains. Pretty good on the whole, the weirding modules and heart plugs look way cooler than the ones in the original

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Phi230 posted:

The nihilists give water to the rug!
lmao

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/splbuzz/status/1260390065345368065?s=21

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

drunkill posted:

a much clearer look.

Yeah, shield module or something on his wrist.

God daaaamn the costume+set I LOVE THIS

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/tsunami643/status/1260952019373883395?s=21

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hell yeah. Love toys

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Here's the impressively bland paperback edition I bought when I finally got around to reading it like five years ago:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Grevling posted:

I watched Dune for the first time last night, I've never read the books. It was a messy film and a lot of the time I didn't understand what was going on but I didn't want to turn it off at any point. It was fascinating. I had to go and read a bit of lore on Wikipedia and that made it fall in place a bit more. As for the new film though, I see now Feyd in the cast and that's a shame because I thought Sting/Feyd was one of the best parts of Lynch's film. Someone told me it's meant to be a two-parter and Feyd doesn't show up that much in the first half of the book. But even so, how are they going to cast him as gloriously as in the old film? Just doesn't seem likely to me!
Feyd and the baron both get introduced around the same time in the book iirc. I think they're sitting on the casting because it's gonna blow people's minds (also when I say I think I mean I hope)

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I was like 24 when I read the book but I first saw the Lynch movie when I was fuckin 7 and I found it in my grandmother's huge VHS hoard while I was staying with her one summer and I immediately loved it, even more than the og star wars flicks (which she had too), so despite becoming aware at some point that the movie was a bad adaptation, for nearly two decades my only exposure to Dune was occasionally rewatching that fuckin thing + looking over my brother's shoulder sometime in my early teens watching him play through one of the Emperor: Battle for Dune campaigns.

"For he IS the kwisatz haderach!!!" is high grade schlock but it gave me chills every time when I was a kid ngl.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That reminds me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fxQtulXUg

Arjen Lucassen refuses to read books so here's Dune: The Movie: The Early 2000s Prog Metal Banger

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

While I'm at it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SBGbbJ8ifY

:rock:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

sebmojo posted:

There are strict rules for Banly
lmao @ this

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

there already is a sci-fi about pizza delivery being a life-or-death endeavor

actually where IS our Snow Crash movie? it would make a good movie. also it's a documentary since we already live in the parody cyberpunk dystopia irl and also a crazy religious corporate boss got caught trying to smuggle cuneiform tablets from Iraq (im not even making this up it's one of the Hobby Lobby guys)
lol if a Snow Crash movie got made the anticorporate stuff would be completely neutered and Hiro Protagonist would be a studio mandated unironic Exxxxtreme Badass also he would be white

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Also mainstream critics and the Movie Going Public would call it a weird bad ripoff of Ready Player One.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Duncan Idaho

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I had a dream last night that failson announced he was stepping down and some other person was writing "Kibbutz: Dune"

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

That thopter loving rules
:hai:

All lookin good but I wanna know what's up with Feyd

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I watched the trailer for the trailer and the way the thopter moves is bizarrely compelling and I do want to see more

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Having the Atreides et al looking as stark and utilitarian as we've seen so far is a great opportunity for imperial aesthetics to be absolutely fuckoff nutso grandiose to really drive home the power/wealth differential between them and the lesser players, idk if I'm expecting him to go that way but it'd be very neat

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lol they look like RTS factions

....... Denis Villeneuve's Dune II total conversion please

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Don't think these have been posted yet

Digging the Tuareg look

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh poo poo this whips

I'm takin the sludge of life over here

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The gloves are fine.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Fremen don’t wear gloves
I had this for my 3DO

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

We got beefsign

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

threelemmings posted:

Or you've outed yourself as reading the sequels when skynet and hedonist robot clone the gang. I know they brought back paul and the baron I'm sure Chani was there too.
Even though I've still only read the first book I just had to read up on his attempt at wrapping up the original series and lmao of course his great and super inventive idea was that it was Lord Darkcyberus Deathfucktron all along

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

loving owns

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm the Nude Messiah.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Piter is loving killing me

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Monkeys paw curls and you get a Lord Cybertrex anime

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

im permabanned poster fremenstomper58. i first started watching the Dune redub when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "prescience" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "muad dee buh" and "the dream unfolds" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of Dune redub humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" the Dune redub to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

lol this would surely be insanely impractical and pointless. You'd be better off using a literal mechanical crank machine made out of wood cogs or something.

Doc Hawkins posted:

it actually makes a kind of sense for the trisolarans, who are the makers of the game, and trying to...uhh...communicate with earth? actually in retrospect i don't understand why they made that game. because they didn't understand lying yet?
The thing with the soldiers in the VR game was a metaphorical depiction of how the trisolarans actually developed organic computation. Their civilisation doesn't have a concept of lying because they don't have separate systems for speech and thought; they communicate with each other via their thoughts being visible as pulses of light within their bodies, which enabled them to do basically the same thing as described in the metaphor but extremely loving quickly and efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I think The Algebraist by Iain Banks was another setting with a prohibition on thinking machines? Except iirc in that case computers were still fine as long as they weren't conscious. I vaguely remember an interesting flashback bit to when the protagonist was a kid and his noble family were all enthusiastically going out to hunt down and gank an AI that was hiding out on top of a mountain.