Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dune is fuckin' rad, the SyFy miniseries was pretty good as well, all things considered.

I literally just finished Chapterhouse and I dunno, I think it's a bit less rad than D U N E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I always imagined something like that thing Jabba the Hutt rides.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Paul: "Hello, I'd like to order the biggest Jihad you have." Pause. "No, that's too big."

:golfclap:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I'm assuming sandworms can't just up and eat people / animals due to the water content, so why would they evolve to be drawn to a walking kind of rhythm?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I call mine 'The Baron' because it's swollen, constantly leaking, and covered in boils.

A friend came up with "I call mine 'The Beast' because you'll just have to put up with it until someone better comes along"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I had a customer in at work today whose eyebrows stuck out by, like, 4 cm, and all I could think was that he looked like the David Lynch version of Thufir Hawat.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Comedy option: Jamie Lee Curtis as Helena Mohiam.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Murray Mantoinette posted:

can't wait for them to follow in the footsteps of the Star Wars EU and write a separate novel about each one of the pugs shown being led by Leto I in the Lynch movie during the move to Arrakis

I would absolutely read these but they'd have to be written by a competent author. Maybe an anthology book, where each author goes into the details of the lives of each pug.

If it were a KJA thing then each pug will have been, at some point, custodian of the secret plans for the Death Star.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, a death star. One of many?

I mean, obviously at least one of the Death Stars will actually be under the control of IG-88 LORD CYBERTREX 8000.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

There are no words.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I am appreciating all of this literal Dune-related shitposting.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

and they can travel from 60 north to 40 south with twenty thumpers, or "at least ten days and nights"

on earth thats like going from st petersburg to cape town. in ten days. so either arrakis is small or, these worms, jesus christ

e: wait, that would be just like 50km an hour? 100 degrees out of 360, times 40 thousand km, divided by 240 hours, right? i guess that's believable for an impossible super-animal

It just says 20 thumpers to the palmaries of the south. I assumed the palmaries were just a ways south and not in the actual southern hemisphere. If you're at the north pole than everything is south of you!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I'm recovering from surgery and I'm passing the time by re-reading D U N E.

Usul is about to call a big one!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Kull wahad!

(Kickin' Ibad?)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Whalefurburger

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like when Marge made a second cake with random sugar letters on it to keep Homer away from the birthday cake.

You mean it's not Paulo's birthday?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

UH i THINK you will find that in book 3 of the House Lord Terminatrex: Cyber Wars series it is established that one of Arrakis's moons has a ring because it is an ancient satellite built by hyper intelligent sandworms created when Leto II died and triggered his time folding device to fold sand trouts carrying his own conciousness back in time to build the M.A.U.D.I.B. super crysknife needed to slay the Dark God Emperor, which was given to Paauul after the Mecha-Baron Hyper Ghola decided to protect the hyper cube containing the soul of Doctor Yeuh from the reborn Desert Stealth Strike Rabban.

I can't even tell if this is real or fake and that makes me both angry and happy enough that I'm not looking it up to find out.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

kiimo posted:

It's not like an Atreides son of a Duke can ascend to take over for an Emperor.

Sounds like a slam ⊃∪∩⪽.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

How is it that no-one has commented on the thigh pads for processing waste?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

davidspackage posted:

Kull wahad, what is happening in there!?

...the Golden Path?

Th- The Golden Path? In the year 10,191, at this delicate time, on this desert planet, localized entirely in the place where women fear to look?

.....May I....see it?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Press F to remember Jamis.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

skasion posted:

EYES OF IBAD CONFIRMED

More caps from trailer

Paul and Mohiam

Paul and Mohiam close

Put your dick in the box

Gom Jabbar

Kull wahad!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

A trailer the likes of which even God has never seen!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Is anyone else experiencing a persistent beefswelling and/or girdershape after viewing the trailer?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

lol it's only after watching the trailer 4 times I realized there's an actual shot of the melange

there's so much to see in it and yet it reveals so little. very good trailer

This shot took place while someone was speaking the word 'fear' and all I could think of was TS Elliot's 'The Wasteland'. "I will show you fear in a handful of dust."

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

kiimo posted:

Conquer the galaxy by using this one Weird trick!

Padishah Emperors HATE HIM!!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

When the urine collector on your stillsuit keeps sucking.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

This may be a bit of a dumb question, but considering how much water there is in a human being wouldn't it be an incredibly bad thing for a worm to consume one?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

euphronius posted:

Imagine just starting with God Emperor. Cold open, no Galadriel voice over.

This is actually how I first started DUNE. My grandmother used to scoop up science fiction and fantasy novels for me at rummage sales, and I read through God-Emperor with no knowledge of what had happened before. I thought it was hella weird.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Erulisse posted:

1984 Dune theatrical cut weird or less?

Well gently caress, now I'm wondering how much of a dumpster fire a Lynch-directed film adaptation of God-Emperor would be.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

First time I've been in a movie theatre in like two years and good Lord it was fantastic. I am profoundly moved!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

The Bloop posted:

WHOOOOOOOO lives on a planet where there is no sea

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

Prescient and Ducal and Weirding is he

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

If galactic jihad is something you wish

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

Then join with the fremen and speak like a fish

Kull wahad!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBEMza8msw

Sardaukar be raising the roof.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Now now, what about the Blue Stripe front page article from an uncomfortably long time ago about being a Harkonnen florist?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

chani and usul were in the desert drinking the water of life to look into the place reverend mothers dare not go and one of the visions looked at me

The vision looked at you? Jessica, get me Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Feces are collected in the thigh pads.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

You forgot the Jews In Space.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

She writhes without rhythm.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Did Clarke have any horny books? The Rama series becomes a weird soap opera with weird sex and family drama, but that's Gentry Lee's fault as far as I know.

Given that Clarke is apparently a pedophile I sure hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

The Ladsraad
The Spacing Guyld
BROAM

The Bene Gaysserit. Beefwelling the likes of which even God has never seen.