Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm a little concerned that Roger deakins isn't the dp (they got the guy who shot Lion) but otherwise I'm supremely hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Can I get a very quick noob-friendly rundown of which dune books I should read and on what order? Is it just as simple as "read Frank's work in order of release and avoid his son"?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Is there a recommended audio book version of the Frank novels?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I just came here to say that I loved the movie, saw it at the alamo Drafthouse in Manhattan and it was picture- and sound-perfect. I'm going to start the first book this week (and I probably won't read any of the others based on what I've heard about them)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I maintain that the correct way to read Dune is to find an old, yellowed paperback copy in some backwater branch library that smells like 🚬 and :420:.

that's what I did some months ago. some random rear end hole in the wall in Ithaca and the store owner looked like doc brown. I also picked up Wolfe's "book of the new sun" and an Ursula k. LeGuin compilation

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wanna? yeah, I Wanna gently caress that spider gimp

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

William Bear posted:

Speaking of the New York Times, Paul Krugman just used his column to positively review Dune (and contrast it to the lame Foundation TV show):

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/26/opinion/dune-movie-foundation-series.html

:goonsay:

I'm not subscribed to nyt and I'm not planning on it so if you could c/p that entire article that would be great

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I'm sure someone can improve it, but this post really inspired me:

does anyone have thirty dollars. please

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Prolonged Panorama posted:

tfw u dunc but they still suk'n

Ramc posted:

also its this season again isnt it

Lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm going to worship dv

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

!Klams posted:

Just saw the new film.

Guys it's loving amazing

here's the face I made while watching it :ibadpop:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I hope he delays the release if he needs it. I hope Warner Bros. lets him

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm going to read dune and then stop. Wish me luck

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I assumed him claiming "the theatrical version is the director's cut" was just a placative gesture aimed at the studio before the sequel was greenlit

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sourdough Sam posted:

Heck, the theater we saw it in on opening weekend was full of teens who were stoked to see Zendaya.

I bet they left the theatre pissed

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

It was good to have someone give a recognizably human, emotional performance in the movie full of space weirdos. It fell to a woman so the usual Skylar arguments are going to have to play out

T H A N K Y O U

these comments about Jessica's characterization/Ferguson's performance are driving me nuts

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Imagined posted:

I'm glad to hear my subjective opinion is objectively wrong.

Now you're getting it!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

just wanted to note that i thought it was cool that they depicted specialized shield piercing munitions during the Harkonnen attack and you can see the shells piercing the shields, exploding within and being contained in the shield before then erupting when the shield generator fails. details!

it's also very satisfying from a filmic standpoint. fast thing becomes slow thing becomes impact. there's probably a tv tropes dot com thing that encapsulates this idea

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh boo hoo, your entire family and way of life is being systematically destroyed and you're trapped on an inhospitable planet full of hostile natives. ugh, cry me a river, lady Jessica. would it hurt for you to crack a joke once in a while??

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Was that the reason? I never knew why he didn't marry her. Did Leto know who her real father was?

in the book Leto explains through inner monologue that him being available is politically useful. makes the houses think an alliance through marriage is on the table

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Yadoppsi posted:

Really, I think we all can agree this would have been a superior movie if there were more Marvel style quips throughout.

Paul: Look, the entire planet is a desert, I'm moonwalking to avoid giant space worms, and you have mind-control powers. None of this makes sense.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

PLANNED BENE GESSERIT BREEDING PROGRAM

code:
                                      Vladamir Harkonnen + Gaius Helen Mohiam
                                             I                              I
                                             I                              I 
                                             I                 Lady Jessica + Leto Atreides
                                             I                                 I
                                             I                                 I
                                    (nephew) Feyd-Rautha   +  "Paula" Atreides
                                                                        I
                                                                        I
                                                        Kwisatz Haderach
That's some quite intentional inbreeding.

e: SA posting messed up my well diagramed family tree

ftfy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Buller posted:

Anyone else thinking about dune??

I'm thinking about going to see it again, tonight, this time in imax

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalel posted:

I'm thinking about going to see it again, tonight, this time in imax

I did this except I hosed up and got the 4d smellovision tickets instead, rip

most fun theatre experience of my life. the ornithopter scenes, with the seats rocking and swaying and air blowing around me, were mind blowing. after the sand crawler rescue scene I wanted to jump out of my seat and hoot and holler at the top of my lungs. probably not a great viewing experience for first timers to dune but it was a blast

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

euphronius posted:

DV’s obsession with people seeing this theaters was strange . It was fine on a tv. I guess he gets less money with less box office idk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

except it also applies to TV's at home

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

So what's the consensus on the Baron's creepy 'pet' creature? Is it Wanna?

here's my take: imagine a movie as a bundle of interwoven threads. these threads are either resolved or left hanging. yueh's wife and the spider monster are two of these hanging threads. they may not necessarily connect to each other, but the absence of connection to other plot elements invites the audience to tie them together, to make a nice neat little plot knot.

there's nothing concrete to suggest a direct connection, but there's also nothing to suggest there isn't a direct connection. given the competency of the direction and writing, it's unlikely this is a mere oversight, therefore it's safe to conclude that the ambiguity itself is the point. It's Schrodinger's plot thread; "the spider monster is wanna" and "the spider monster is not wanna" are both correct.

efb, basically

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

At one stage during filming of Dune at Origo Film Studios in Budapest, visual effects supervisor Paul Lambert, having implemented a raft of sand-colored screens–rather than blue or greenscreens–on the backlot there, was asked by the line producer on set whether this meant everything would now need to be rotoscoped.

As they walked Lambert took a picture of the backlot covered in ‘sandscreen’ with his iPhone, brought this into a standard app and made a negative (inverted) image of the scene. “That’s when he realized that the entire thing was a bluescreen,” says Lambert.

:aaaaa:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the only real editing nitpick I have is when Paul fights Jamis and they use the same shot of Jamis yelling at Paul twice in a row like some kind of ytp. it's extremely odd and off-putting

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

Mods, please change thread title to A Spider Thing Called Wanna.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you've been slipping on your meme shipments as of late uber_stoat. the goonperium does not look kindly on such blatant disrespect.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

just saw a post stating that the Sardaukar are actually speaking English, just a version of it that's brutally attenuated and has had lots of syllables stripped out. i kind of noticed it when he said "emperor" but didn't make the connection.

I figured the chanter and the sardaukar leader that piter speaks to on salusa secundus were speaking different languages because they sound completely unlike each other

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

stratdax posted:

I rewatched the miniseries, first time since it aired.
It's quite good. I mean ignoring some of the acting and production and bad CGI and low budget sets and directing, narratively I think it a better adaptation of the novel than Dunc was. It had lots of the little touches Dunc stripped out that shows more humanity, more to the characters, and more to the universe and Arrakis especially than just 3 or 4 armies fighting each other.

It has the advantage of time, being a TV series and not a film, which allows it to go deeper and spend more time fleshing out the politics and tertiary characters. I would suspect this is a side effect of the medium and not necessarily any credit to the skill of the writers, but I haven't seen the series.

quote:

I also think their version of the voice was better than Dunc.
The voice as described in the novel would just sound like "these aren't the droids you're looking for" so I get the adaptations have to do something different, but Dunc was a bit over the top, especially with Jessica commanding the three guys in the ship.

sure but, hear me out, it sounds badass

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lmfao

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

i am bad at math personally but that example seemed like a rather easy math problem?

uh if you thought that was easy you should take the Mensa test, you might be in the top .1% of human IQ friendo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I don't get the Hans Zimmer hate. The guy has a really good distinctive style that gets aped poorly and spoofed, just like any other musical artist, yet his talent is referred to so definitively as garbage by contrarians. Like it's just a given that he sucks.

The Dunc sound track is better than the 84 soundtrack.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

spoice

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it sounds like Herbert was intentionally vague on the moral endpoints of his work so as to deflect ideological cross-examination and eliminate the possibility of any absolute moral high ground. but I haven't read the books so what do I know

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

euphronius posted:

In the context of the movie , Fremen society is working and almost utopian

In comparison!:

The Biden-esque fore-story of “liberal mandates” is incredibly depressing and Leto rightfully dies quickly.

(Talking movie only here )

euphronius posted:

In the movie the fremen are living a wonderful life outside the scope of liberal history . The liberal appropriation golem can’t even see their green fields. They are way beyond the sterile world of harkonesn and atriedies

I’m Just talking movie here . Books are different

haha oh yeah for sure *backs out of the thread slowly while nodding and smiling*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Prolonged Panorama posted:

"How do you call among you the little bird, the bird that drinks?"

Stilgar frowned. "We call that one deceiver-of-boys. It makes a mockery of the thermodynamics, and though it appears to drink, and conserve water inside itself, it instead evaporates the water in to the air for its fun. A hateful, wasteful machine." And he made a fist near his right ear. "We will speak no more of it."

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

i said this in my mind in Javier's accent, fukken cool. lmao

I'm going to be doing this for every character in the book now

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2021