Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The spice it got me high (high)
The spice it got me high (high)
The cinnamony worm poop changed the color of my eyes

The Water made me die (die)
The Water made me die (die)
It opened up my inner vision and it turned me to the sky

The worm it called to me
(And now I see the things the spice has shown to me)
A sight that sparked jihad
("Kwisatz Haderach" is more than just a word)

And though I once preferred a human being's company,
They pale before the Golden Path which passes before me

The spice it got me high (high),
The spice it got me high (high),
The truth is where the breeding program made up a new lie

This death it made me cry (cry)
This death it made me cry (cry)
My stillsuit cleaned the water shed for this cranky Fremen guy

The worm it called to me,
(And now I see the things the spice has shown to me)
A sight that sparked jihad
("Kwisatz Haderach" is more than just a word)

And as the screams of Fremen forces split the midnight air,
The shield wall it had vanished from forbidden atomic flare

And what they found was Muad'dib standing where Harkonnen came to die
And what they found was Muad'dib standing where Harkonnen came to die

And now it is your turn
(Your turn to eat the spice and another world burn)
The Path it calls to you
(You can't refuse to do the things it tells you to)

And as the drumming thumper rhythm calls the worm to home
Millennia will wash by before your grand eternal throne

And what you'll leave is ruins of an empire ossified,
And all they'll find is wormsign from an Emperor deified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

skasion posted:

The script drafts for ROTJ, back when the forest moon was still the moon of the imperial capital, had more or less the same overpopulated overbuilt world-city shithole concept. But more shithole-themed—it’s called Had Abaddon instead of Coruscant and there’s like subterranean lava pits where the emperor hangs out.

Okay but that's loving rad. Why the hell didn't we get that?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I was a friend of Jamis, but man I really don't know why. He wasn't even fun to play Spice: the Gathering with.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Good soup! posted:

William Hurt always sounded like he was either going to doze off in the middle of a scene or just tremendously bored

Maybe both

God, he absolutely was just phoning it in. A fair few of the performances were mediocre but they were rarely so disinterested as Hurt's. At least the guy playing Harkonnen was having a hell of a fun time.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

kalel posted:

so she and the rest of them are gonna be in the film for like a minute and a half each right? assuming Denis doesn't change his tune about an extended cut

Nah there'll be plenty of time for each of them between both Dune: The Desolation of Feyd-Rautha and Dune: The Battle of the Five Armies.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

GTO posted:

I'm guessing they will call back to this, it will be a satisfying Hollywood finale with an ominous hint of pyrrhic victory. Which was pretty much what I took from the book on my one reading of it.

I wonder how they'll handle the whole 'I'm marrying irulan and having chani as my mistress' part. Not sure that would go over very well with modern audiences and my recollection of the final pages of dune was it being the women standing saying 'well this is just our lot in life'...

It's more like, "This is our lot in life right now, but nobody will remember Irulan except as a footnote while 'Chani' and 'Jessica' will echo through history forever."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah! It's taken me decades to notice it though.
I'm not sure there's any other puns in Dune? A whole lot of very silly sounding words like Fremkit and Sandsnork though.

Man, I would've never seen it as a pun no matter how often I read it. There's just some old farmer wisdom about not harassing the cattle or chickens too much because if they're upset they won't produce as much, and I always assumed it was about that.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

priznat posted:

I always thought the moo(d)/cattle thing was an intentional joke because the first time I saw Dune (1984) (which was my first exposure to the whole thing) I was watching it with a massively stoned friend who said "Moooooo-d, heh" and then chuckled to himself for like 10 minutes.

When delivered by Sir Patty Stew he really leans on the "mooooo" too imo. The weird part is how it veers into loveplay, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHsSgxpX8rY

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's being emphasized there because Gurney's supposed to be throwing it back into Paul's face. An assassin won't care about your "mood." He then goes to "cattle and loveplay" because he's further slapping Paul with the idea he's either acting like a commoner who has to worry about spooking the cows, or being indolent as if wasting time with a lover.

Flakey posted:

I always thought Gurney meant that nobles, unlike the common masses, don't have the luxury of being in the mood for something it is their duty to do.

I'm open to it being about cows though.

Basically this.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Jewmanji posted:

I’ve never really played an MMO in my life, I guess. Is it just a cursed game genre because of the degree of difficulty in making it good?

There are... a lot of points of failure for a big MMO, yeah. Like imagine all the issues around making an open-world game, even one where events and resources are going to be relatively sparse for the "survival" theme. Add in any issues around multiplayer, both moderating the players and balancing content for multiple playstyles. Add in the need to host everything on your own servers if you're talking about a truly persistent mass-multiplayer world, and will ideally be having to provide those services to many thousands of people at once. (Ideally. Not necessarily realistically.) The expectation of more content regularly drip-fed out to maintain engagement. Possibly endgame content to keep on the more... dedicated... players when they've run through the regular content. Realize that no matter how good your game might be, managing the player base is critical to keeping it alive and inviting to new players because there will be drop-off, and a toxic community will drive people off.

Meanwhile the more effective monetization schemes aren't inherently shackled to MMOs but rather to games-as-a-service in general. Cut one or more of those factors, reduce your overhead and reduce your points of failure, focus on going in deep on a narrower audience instead of as broad a one as you can, then lower the barrier of entry from computer to smartphone and you get a lot of the more successful mobile games.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It doesn't make sense to have players be in the Duniverse unless they get to play their own House - and then you have an MMORTS instead, and it's called Dune Generations, and I'm still bitter that it got cancelled.

Clearly that's what clans are for. Endgame (Lands)raading dominated by Houses Harkbonin' and Fat_Worm_420, and their terrible influence over the auction house, CHOAM.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

If Wanna'll be your lover,
You've got to betray~

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'd have to go dig up the timeline but it's actually still a number of millennia down from us. The calendar as of Dune was set based on the founding of the Spacing Guild, post-Jihad, as I recall. There was a high human golden age of ascending technology and expansion for quite a while before that.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Given how the recent Dune TTRPG had to include a ton of the "expanded universe" nonsense in the history timeline of Stuff That Won't Actually Matter To Your Game, it's probably a condition of the license these days to fit that poo poo in anywhere they can.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

He just doesn't quote the bit that goes, "If we talk about Worm God we are going to be here all millennium just doing the set-up to actually talk about the important stuff. So, please, keep it on topic."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Soul Dentist posted:

Holy moly this is good and I can't share it with anyone in my life because it requires such specific lore

SA Dune shitposting is so amazing and before I came here I never knew how much I needed it in my life.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Now I think if you would listen to my "Hollow Arrakis" theory, you'd see the evidence is quite convincing

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

We named the chairdog "Duncan."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fenring sort of counts?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The true power of the Kwisatz Haderach, to master all the dad jokes through history. Alia could not handle having all of them from even before she was born.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Don't they use it in paper? They have such a ridiculous, embarrassing wealth of it just by virtue of living in the deep deserts, and so little else to work with, that yeah it goes into basically anything they can make it work.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

mmmm posted:

GoG has that weird Emperor of the Fading Suns game available now, can that be patched into something worthwhile? Loved the fluff for that game but never really played it.

The current owners (who include the original writers) have done a lot of work to improve stability and apparently to make it more mod-friendly. (The big update was just this October.) There have been a number of fan patches and mods over the years, too, and from things said on the GOG forums it sounds like they're cooperating with modders to help update stuff to the new version.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Don't waste your water like that, it'll make you go blind and grow hair on your troutglove.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I hope not to be on any heighliner you're navigating, with that hit rate.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Take my ghola - please!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

So he'll be a perfect Feyd-Rautha, is what you're saying.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Dune Messiah is basically, "You idiots didn't get the point even when I said it in plain language, so time to get even more blatant," about Dune's themes. I like it, but man it's a little sad Herbert had to lean in on it that hard.

Also I usually read it as "Psy-tale." It's apparently a reference to a thing that's pronounced the other way, but the first thing that popped into my head for comparison was scythe.

EDIT: Screw it, calling him Skittles from now on.

disposablewords fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 14, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Jewmanji posted:

I haven’t read it in a bit but isn’t the point of that appendix that those religious leaders were hopelessly naive and nobody cared or followed those original dictats?

Pretty much, though if I recall it eventually gained traction because the powerful ended up embracing it and it became the popular faith of empire, not unlike Christianity.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I got an ebook copy just to be able to Ctrl-F through it, and yup, the Sardaukar are treated like high nobility at home. Chapter 39, when Thufir tries to convince the Baron that the Fremen are the most terrifying military force around and not a bunch of idiot desert peasants, and that the Emperor might be thinking that Harkonnen is looking to reproduce the Sardaukar on Arrakis. Which he wasn't planning but does entertain briefly when Thufir raises the notion to him.

quote:

Presently he said: "How could you be sure of the loyalty of such recruits?"

"I would take them in small groups, not larger than platoon strength," Hawat said. "I'd remove them from their oppressive situation and isolate them with a training cadre of people who understood their background, preferably people who had preceded them from the same oppressive situation. Then I'd fill them with the mystique that their planet had really been a secret training ground to produce just such superior beings as themselves. And all the while, I'd show them what such superior beings could earn: rich living, beautiful women, fine mansions... whatever they desired."

The Baron began to nod. "The way the Sardaukar live at home."

"The recruits come to believe in time that such a place as Salusa Secundus is justified because it produced them - the elite. The commonest Sardaukar trooper lives a life, in many respects, as exalted as that of any member of a Great House."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

She knows our ways as if born to them. Could she be the one?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Nah, Fenring's really important to tell us that Paul's bloodline really isn't the only one that matters in the Kwisatz Haderach plan, that it was actually a more robust scheme than it looks. And also to finally bring the Emperor to heel in the end when even his super-assassin buddy is like, "No, no, not this time, sorry."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Typo posted:

that was one of the worst parts of messiah

like you should trust your readers to be smart enough to read between the lines a little bit about how Paul is bad without literally saying "he's worse than Hitler"

If you could trust your readers for that, then Dune Messiah would never have been written.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

euphronius posted:

I saw dune through shigawire imprint

Lucky. I just got the distrans release implanted in me.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Bubblyblubber posted:

He's clearly having a blast with dickless the worm.

Duncan: "Is this true?"
Siona: "Yes, it's true. This Emperor has no dick."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Yeah, as I recall it's mostly just that there was a movement of Jews who refused to buy into the ongoing synthesis of religions that accelerated and then got officially endorsed with stuff like the Orange Catholic Bible. So they went off into hiding because They Had Seen Where This Went Before for Jews and wanted none of that. It's ridiculous that they'd then hold everything basically the same over tens of thousands of years, but also sci-fi and fantasy are often... really drat bad about that?

Though they also ended up with an odd Amish vibe in my memory for some reason. Probably equal parts how long its been, and how the local Amish were at the time one of the first things that my teenage brain would have leapt to for the idea of a deliberately regressive pocket religious society. (Not necessarily "regressive" in a negative moral or ethical sense, mind.)

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Dune was one of those books like Lord of the Rings and Neuromancer that my brother had lying around. I didn't get into it until high school, too busy reading Star Trek and Star Wars books before that like the adolescent dork I was. But then I charged straight through the entire series after finally picking it up. We went to see DUNC together on the big screen, probably the first movie I'd gone out to in like a decade, and are almost certainly going to see Part 2 together. I've passed more than a few jokes and memes from this thread over his way.

Alas, his son isn't really into Dune at all. The kid likes more generic fantasy or stuff set around the present day a lot more than any kind of sci-fi. And his daughter is young and too rambunctious to take, she'd find it incredibly boring. His wife is only sort of into it and not that concerned about seeing it in a theater. Maybe we can pass down the Dune love later to the kids, but at the moment it's pretty much just the two of us.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Bubblyblubber posted:

just Otheym and the other disgruntled fremen commandos in a shed gripping

"and what has muad'dib ever done for us?"

the qanats?

"well, yes, granted, he did build the qanat, but besides that what has muad'dib ever done for us???"

...the jihad?

"oh piss off"

Switch Otheym to Farok and you've got the opening to Dune Messiah here.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Can't wait until about 6 years from now when I'm able to have an all-day DUNC trilogy marathon just like I did once with Lord of the Rings extended cut.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's probably the point, the Baron is the patriarch of the family no matter how actual position, and has made it clear the rest live at his disposal, in fear of his slightest displeasure, and subject to hosed up punishments of all kinds for failure. There's plenty of examples of people ruling by force of personality and personal authority regardless of technically junior or even meaningless titles.

I kind of wish Herbert had explored CHOAM a little more because how binding the feudal hierarchy to a capitalist megacorp probably warps the Imperium's politics in weird and exciting ways. Like make a Baron who maximizes profit able to be considered a peer of a Duke. Like a lot has already been said in many places about how large corporations are basically just feudal institutions already, but made more fluid than usual by money. The titles of the Landsraad are probably much more decorative than descriptive.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Alia would channel the baron and talk massive poo poo to Jessica while putting on a false baritone.

"This demeans us both, Lady Jessica, but you're the one having to clean up my effluent. Here, another for you and your beloved duke! A duke's dook!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

4chan and Qanon do feel comparable to the hosed up ninja sex nuns, it's true.