Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

basic hitler posted:

Our government isnt exactly wise and all knowing about all this bud. It was a dumb kneejerk regulation.

Unlike other nootropics the piracetam family of compounds is useful and mixjng them with some adderall is about as close as one can get to IRL sapho juice

Tell us about the stains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Dave, do we really have to do this?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Zardoz is basically the butlerian jihad.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Afriscipio posted:

Dune: spice opera

Dune II: the building of a dunasty

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I watched lynch's on prime and uh
it kinda sucks
weird edits like stilgar coughs when he was obviously talking, or there's voiceover narration from the empress' daughter, or it feels fast forwarded like half way in till the end. Don't remember it like that

The book does the same thing

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

If only he knew about ultraspice.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

It is by will alone I split the sandwich in twain. It is by the real mayo that thighs acquire girth, the shirts acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I split the sandwich in twain.

Lesser known mental disciplines

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

kiimo posted:

It's amazing what this thread is capable of discussing when we take a break from poop cakes.

I love how the Dune universe is space terriformed by man with no aliens. It's pretty unique among sci-fi properties for that reason . It's like a sci-fi bottle episode.

The best sci-fi bottle episode movie I thought was Enemy Mine but I didn't consider Dune until now

The bulk of asimov's books are alien free.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Dune as a long running 30 minute family friendly sitcom with laughtrack.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

A police procedural with a mentat/bene geserit consultant team who fight crime every week.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

@Dumpauthor

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Lynch's Dune is no more incoherent than the original book.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

Great, so I'll have to unmark this thread, to avoid spoilers?
I like going into watching movies knowing as little as humanly possible, to just take in the movie and get the most out of it.

Spoilers, its dune

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Will Paul win the fighting tournament to be crowned the Kwizatch Haderach?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Sietch orgy is tastefully cut with shots of sandworms diving into the dunes.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Ingmar terdman posted:

Feels like this might be a controversial ranking but:

Dunc
Dunc Messiah
God Emperor of Dunc
Children of Dunc

What if, get this, dune is all bad.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

Ok, that makes sense. I mean there's a bunch of "testing stations" everywhere, isn't there?
I guess capital is in the process of turning earth into arrakis, minus the giant worms

We're getting giant worms as well https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938181&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

kiimo posted:

I joined a Dune facebook group and there's a big faction of failson readers who jump on anybody for criticizing the books or them for reading and liking them. I left the group. Life is too short to deal with that poo poo.

Or to be on facebook to be honest

As a goon you should have the power to dunc on anyone.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Some strong Quibi level marketing analysis in this thread.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

euphronius posted:

Vinge before he went nuts was one of the best

Rip

What happened?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

love it? share it!

Fish speakers vs sea patrol?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Beware the Ganja jar

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

People complain about rhe movie skipping around, but the book does exactly that.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Clarence Boddicker rolls into the imperial throne room and proclaims "Witches leave"

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

you are 28 months too late for this joke :blastu:

If they can make the same movie multiple times, we can make the same joke multiple times.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

priznat posted:

Yeah that was super unfortunate. Also the guy who did the golden age trilogy who went militant catholic.

But the golden age was right wing garbage already??

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

it's basically Objectivist sci fi. the big bad is a stand in for totalitarian communism. lmao

The funny thing is that it reads as a parody of objectivism since the world depicted is a ridiculous hellscape and the main character fails at literally everything. But I'm pretty sure its 100% serious.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Is that an error or are the satchel and fremkit actually identical models

also lol at that worm

The extrusions on the uppet portion are slightly different.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Lynch Dune is great, and not only is it the best Dune we'll ever see, it's the best Dune possible.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Dune, but the soundtrack replaced by Enigma.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fremen god dammit phone autocorrect

It's Frepeople.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

kalel posted:

happy 700 pages of posting about beefswelling

Gotta keep posting till page 10191

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Is the guy who invented ftl floating as a cyborg around a planet Frank or the other two idiots?

Wasn't that from the encyclopedia?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

i don't wanna work

i just wanna bang on the drum all day

This guy had to carry this thing out on a worm.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Paul Abides

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I have never read a Star Wars book, and I'm happy to write them all off as worthless garbage. Come the gently caress on.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

I mean, they are. But so is the source material. And the x-wing books are good enough until you get to wraith squadron which is actually really good for ya sci-fi.

I'm aware how bad Star Wars is. No argument there.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Tom Bombadil predates all of the races of Middle-Earth, so I can understand why people think he might be a kind of god; I always read it as him being a manifestation of the power of coincidences/randomness.

Bombadil is Iluvatar's layabout little brother.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Yeah, honestly there really aren't plans within plans in Dune. It's pretty straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I haven't read past the first book in a very long time. Why did Paul have a giant murderous jihad after becoming emperor?