Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Just played 1.0 for first time (I injured my hand so couldn't play until now): I'm liking the better performance, the fact OC has solo FPP now, and I love new revolver when you get it during the beginning game scramble, it's quite satisfying.

I have to say though that I agree with what's been said about new map: stuff is too spread out, the cars are obtainable but only seem to be on roads (which seem to be a lot more dangerous to go running along now, probably because driving offroad is slow/dangerous), and I'm dieing to the blue way more than old map.

Also beginning game lag is loving horrendous now but that might be be because it's holiday season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Has anyone else found that red-zones seem to respawn in same spot a lot more since patch? Last game I was stuck in a single building for ages because redzone spawn in same spot 3 times, and there were no other buildings nearby. Needless to say going from 65 people alive to ~40 without looting meant I was pretty I'll equipped for first fight I got in.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

GOTY

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

There's been a few posts here mentioning that the new map comes up more frequently than the old one, perhaps that was true of test server but I'm not sure that is the case now, atleast not on OC solo-FPP. What I've found is this:
  • If I leave a game that's in lobby during matchmaking phase (before the "MATCH STARTS IN..." countdown) and re-que, I will probably end up in the exact same game that I left. I'm guessing there's only ever one game at a time in matchmaking phase per region per game-type (atleast on the less popular region/types - on OC solo-FPP it takes around a minute to get enough players to start the countdown).
  • If I leave a game that's in lobby but do so after the matchmaking phase, I always get a different game if I re-que.
  • If I do the latter (re-queing immediately after leaving) and the first game was on miramar, the second one will always be erangel (I'm not sure the opposite is true because I haven't been actively avoiding erangel, but I assume it works both ways).
It probably goes without saying that I got sick of the new map (died to blue one too many times).

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

In case anyone isn't aware- if space is a concern you shouldn't be placing multimedia like movies or music on your SSD. You get very little if any performance gain from it.
That was my first thought reading his post too. I've also found that moving desktop and downloads folders to a HDD (via symbolic links created with MKLINK) helps a lot because they both end up being dumping grounds on my PC's.

I should point out that some games don't really benefit from SSD as much as OS and apps do (particularly games that package and compress content well), and I remember the switch from HDD to SSD being kinda underwhelming for games actually (even World of Warcraft with all it's dynamic content barely improved - though that was back when cataclysm was latest expansion). Planetside 2 was the first game I played that really showed much difference (it used to take over a minute start from a HDD, compared to around 10 seconds from SSD).

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Jerkface posted:

The tier list for action games is:

Action quake 2

Reaction quake 3
The opera

Action half life
This post was quite a few pages ago but I can definitely agree that AHL was nowhere near the game AQ2 was (which would be easily the game I've put the most hours into, I was a teenager at the time though so not surprising). The combination of Quake's ridiculous game physics (with the strafe/circle/grenade jumping that enabled) with the semi-realistic weapon selection worked surprisingly well.

As to the "ever used cheats?" topic this post was part of, I have, but only once: I got talking to a guy playing quakeworld who had made his own modded client with some cheats in it, he gave me a copy and I tried using aim and speedhack in combination with the axe - it wasn't competitive (axe only did like 15-20 hp per chop) but it was kinda funny because it surprised the gently caress out of people. That got boring after 5 minutes, and using it to actually kill people with guns felt wrong (even though I was awful at quakeworld), so I can't really see the appeal playing like that.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Arkangelus posted:

Is there an easy way to distinguish whether footsteps are above or below you?
Just tilt your head to the side using Q or E and listen! (no idea if that actually works but it'd be cool if it did)

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Doorknob Slobber posted:

why does my game freeze up when grenades go off near glass
Happens to me too, and I have an SSD. My question is, does this NOT happen to everyone? Because a couple of times lately its left me pretty loving vulnerable to anyone NOT frozen in place for 3 to 6 seconds.

Accretionist posted:

Pro-Tip: If you use ear buds, make sure they aren't in backwards.
I used to experience a bug in CS:GO that would swap left/right channels if I plugged in my USB soundcard (that I used with my headphones) after starting the game instead of beforehand. Took a few times getting shot in the arse to figure that one out.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've seen a weird thing a couple times when watching death cams. it'll show my reaction as a second or so slower than it was in the actual fight.
In the fight you described was he on the move while you were waiting for him to come around the corner? If so the netcode favours him:
  • From your perspective: before you can start shooting at him, you have to wait until the server updates you with his position as within your view
  • From his perspective: he runs around the corner, and, because you aren't been moving, he can see and shoot you before even the server (let alone you) has his updated position as within your view
I realised this after watching a similar replay where I died (in my case it never recorded the shots I made because I was already dead), and since then I've been a bit more aggressive in indoor combat - for example, if someone enters the building I'm looting I will wait until I know they are close then rush them, this seems to work much better than camping a room with cross-hairs on the door.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

emanresu tnuocca posted:

From my experience once in every 30 matches you're pretty much handed a victory by the Goddess of Random; of course it's still up to you to score the all-meaningful final shot
Not necessarily, my first win came down to outliving #2 as the final circle came in. In that situation you should boost with everything you've got, and if possible try time a medkit so that it hits just after the damage starts (last circle kills in just over a second so it's hard to pull off). Not that I really needed to do any of that because I don't think the other guy knew how to react to last circle at all (he didn't even move).

My second win was also more luck than skill - I waited until the last possible second to go to one of the last tiny circles... And did so in my car at full throttle - usually not a great idea because you are a massive target, but there were 2 others left and I figured whoever shot at me would also reveal themselves to the other. That is exactly what happened because when I found a good spot to bail out I did so to the sounds of #2 and #3 settling their rank out, and because of that I was in much better shape than #2 for the final fight.

I actually use that strategy often in situations where an endgame circle is in a poo poo spot for me - if I have a car and I'm going to be very exposed no matter how I get there, then I figure that I may as well go out with a bang (which is how it usually goes as multiple people unload full auto at my car until it explodes with me still inside).

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Flaggy posted:

Hahahaha, after the latest patch you have to disable death cams and replays to get the game working right. This game is a loving joke now. If you play with both of those enabled it becomes a jittery unplayable mess.
Oh for fucks sakes, is THAT what the problem is? Thanks for posting this - a few days ago I got given a video card of the same model as my current one, but after seeing that most games don't benefit much from SLI (least of all PUBG where it is outright disabled) I took it out, I then spent hours yesterday wondering what I'd hosed up in the process to make PUBG run so bad. I started to suspect it was the game itself when I realised that stuttering didn't happen in lobby, only once on the plane.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Fuzz1111 posted:

Flaggy posted:

Hahahaha, after the latest patch you have to disable death cams and replays to get the game working right....
Oh for fucks sakes, is THAT what the problem is? Thanks for posting this - a few days ago I got given a video card of....
Well I just got home from work and logged in to see if turning off replays would fix the stuttering issues (which I know not everyone experienced, but they really did make the game unplayable), but it seems another patch dropped in the meantime which seems to have solved them. By my count that's 3 patches in about 30 to 40 hours... I guess I should be thankful that they actually seem to give a poo poo, but gently caress me that seems like they really aren't testing releases properly (unless they discovered 1 or 2 really big bugs that needed fixing now now now and couldn't wait a few hours), and I have to say it made trying to compare performance of different hardware in the game a delightful task for me.

Game should not have left early access, that's for sure.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I work with software testing, it's a difficult thing to get right. Most likely the stuttering issue only occurs on certain GPUs or combinations of GPU and driver version, or particular chipsets or similar. It's probably not a combination they have in their test lab, so the bug slipped. (If they are doing testing right, they now have that combination in their lab.)
Yeah I'm a developer/creator-of-bugs myself, my point about them not testing properly wasn't really based on the fact that the bug I experienced slipped through per-se (understandable given that it was seemingly uncommon) it was more about the timing of one big patch quickly followed not one but several small ones, patches obviously made to fix problems introduced by big patch, and which themselves introduced a few themselves (including the bug I experienced).

It just made me question how tested the patches are, and the posts people made about their experiences playing test servers (where bluehole don't seem to be making use of the feedback they generate) do too.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Well I have to admit, between driver patches from nvidia, and patches to the game itself, this game has gone from running terribly to actually being quite playable on my old GTX780.

I do wonder how much I have the xbox port to thank for the game optimisations (which apparently involved a lot of help from microsoft) but in any case, it's been nice playing games the last couple of weeks where I've had little else to blame for losing than just being terrible (except for the game I played yesterday where I finished in top 10 without a helmet because one never came).

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

GarethOmni posted:

This game has finally hit a spot where it isn't bugging out 24/7. But that will probably change at the next update.
Yeah you're probably right, and part of my enjoying myself probably comes down to the fact that the miramar files mysteriously went missing off my hard-drive around the same time they got this game as optimised as it is now - have to say not missing that map at all.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

suuma posted:

quote:

delete the miramar map files and you just get insta booted to lobby when you’re placed in a miramar game
I thought they changed something to prevent this
The only thing that prevents you from doing it is the patches that put the files back... Which I found out tonight when I hit the lobby of a game and thought "were the gently caress am I? Wait this looks lik.... OH NO!" then I alt F4'ed and deleted that poo poo and now game is fixed again.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

New high definition textures for erangel lookin good!

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Fuzz1111 posted:

The only thing that prevents you from [renaming files to avoid miramar] is the patches that put the files back... Which I found out tonight when I hit the lobby of a game and thought "were the gently caress am I? Wait this looks lik.... OH NO!" then I alt F4'ed and deleted that poo poo and now game is fixed again.
Well gently caress. Looks like a patch has just dropped that does this:

I tried using local security policy to block the files but it doesn't look like that's going to work

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

former glory posted:

Going against my gut, I decided to run a "verify integrity of game files" in Steam with the risk of it just wiping and having to re-install everything. Pleasant surprise: it downloaded about 27 megs of stuff and now the game works.
Oh don't worry I know how to fix it, but that wasn't my point (in retrospect my post was ambiguous unless you looked carefully at the image I posted). My point was that renaming/deleting the miramar files to avoid the map no longer works because you just get that error, and blocking access to those files with local security policy doesn't seem to work either. Haven't played since I realised that (yeah I hate miramar that much - leaving/re-queing doesn't work nearly as well as deleting files did).

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

About a month ago I got bored of this poo poo and pretty annoyed with playing miramar and stopped playing, but I'm kind of curious - is map selection a thing yet?

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Well.... You seem happy.

Have any of the other up and coming PC-based BR games actually got any traction then?

All I've heard of with these kind of games lately is people going nuts over the mobile version of this and fortnite, as well as cunts sooking about people using keyboard and mouse playing PUBG on Android (and I've seen a lot of that actually - you'd swear that they didn't want an authentic PUBG experience on their phones).

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Penpal posted:

I have an i7 920 with a 1070...
If you aren't overclocking that thing you should be (they tended to overclock better than the other CPUs of that series) going from 2.66 to 3.6ghz should be pretty easy and might not even need extra volts.

You can also buy old 6 core xeon's (x5650, x5660, etc) that work with that motherboard for about $50 and they'll hit 4ghz no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Penpal posted:

I have actually considered buying an old xeon, but haven't really felt the desire to for an extra 400 mhz.
By "4ghz easy", I mean mine is on 4.4ghz and took a lot less effort and voltage to do so than the old i7 950 took to hit 3.8ghz. It's a big jump in more than just clockspeed: you're also gaining 2 more cores, going from Bloomfield to Westmere, and from 45 to 32nm. It runs every bit as fast as my SB-E system does at same 4.4ghz overclock (and a fair bit cooler).