Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hi Metal Gear thread, I'm in a kinda weird position with the series, I've never really touched an MGS game before getting talked into MGSV a while back. I'm loving the hell out of the gameplay a second time around and it's got me curious about playing some of the older ones.

So I'm curious since I'm coming at the series backwards, especially since the refined gameplay is what grabbed me - is there much hope of enjoying the older ones without having played them first back in the day? Is there even a good way to play them now? I saw at least a few on the PS subscription service but don't know how the experience fares on there. I also tried the Snake Eater demo on 3DS (since it looks like the most likely one to grab me) but had an insta-nope for the controls on that system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah I was unclear, it was specifically the 3DS ABXY buttons as camera/aiming that I couldn’t get into, and skipped out before really getting into the game. I think the HD collection is what I saw for PS Now, guess trying that for a month is my best bet.

Peace Walker seemed like the best bet to try since it's the immediate predecessor, but I kind of ignored it since I don't have a PSP.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah sweet, I hadn't realized Peace Walker was in that collection too, I thought it was the first three games for some reason. Guess PS Now with the collection is my starting point.

I think I have the most memories of seeing playthroughs of 4, my recollection is that the gameplay looks solid but interrupted by story pretty excessive even for the series.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I took a peek into PS Now and it looks like the HD Collection games stream well enough to be playable. I think I'll be putting them on the back burner until I finish this runthrough of V though, I could probably handle Peace Walker but I can tell after a few minutes in game that the mechanics differences in Snake Eater will break my brain if I try to keep switching in and out of it. Seems better to just go straight through it.

Someone mentioned MGS1, I couldn't find it anywhere for PS4. The store is a pain to navigate though, I may have overlooked something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I'm still chewing through MGSV, and doing a million times better than the first time around, thanks to paying a lot more attention to how the game handles sneaking mechanics (not to mention, having a much better idea from the start about what weapons and support items to research in case things *do* go south).

The Subsistence version of the C2W mission (destroying comms equipment) was my roadblock last time, I never got past it successfully. The funny thing is, I could probably sneak in successfully this time around, but I just did the whole thing in about 30 seconds without even leaving the chopper. I don't even know whether to feel proud or ashamed of myself.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Side missions are great, just running around with your dog buddy while chilling to the greatest hits of the '80s. I just imagine the "goddammit, again?!" look on everyone's faces as I run into the airport and clean out their cargo crates for the fifth time on my way to other stuff.
Also I know the story delivery is weird, but I'm making a point to listen to the tapes this time around, and it's kinda nice to just have narration to listen to while doing stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I got a bunch further this time but the whole string of :ninja: TOTAL STEALTH :ninja: and :supaburn: EXTREME :supaburn: missions may be my end. Some are okay, but I was hoping a few more would be completely new. I beat the first two stealth ones, but the other two are long ones that already gave me trouble the first time around, and the extreme challenges look like they're stacked more towards boss fights and such, I just don't feel much motivation to do either of those :sigh:

We'll see, but if that's it for the main missions, I feel a lot better about how far I got and how much more of the story/burger tapes I unlocked.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Thanks, all that'll be worth looking into.

Part of the problem now is that I keep getting upgrades in mind, but they're taking long enough that I keep forgetting about them. Better pistol options and especially battle armor are on the way. I've also been struggling to figure out how to deal with the riot suits and various armor options, I only recently realized you can send out teams to stop their supply; I've done a few but haven't noticed any major changes in enemies yet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

hand of jehuty

I literally just learned about this yesterday and was all :aaa:
I researched it and put it in my loadout today but sadly haven't gotten close enough for any grabby shenanigans yet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I'm realizing that this time around as I'm clearing a ton more side missions and getting lots of story. I'd like to finish them, but now just for completion.
(although, I sorta feel like the first Subsistence one might be a progress point, I never beat it the first time around and the story and missions just seemed to stop unlocking no matter what I did in side ops. Could be a misunderstood impression though)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

the stun arm is key (and hilarious) for stealth and dealing with armored opponents; snake screams at the top of his lungs and calls forth a giant hail of lightning, stunning everyone, but alerting nobody

:lol:
I love stun arm but Hand of Jehuty is my new favorite, I didn't even know it existed a week ago but I've been on so many stealth missions doing nothing but teleporting enemies recruits over to me.

Anyways I'm probably done with this playthrough, I got what I wanted out of it which was a bunch more missions and (especially) a more complete run through the story - up to the opening scene revisit and the truth tapes. Next time I get the urge to play it I'll probably grab the PC version since I can apparently mod out the useless wait times for tech development.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Nabbed a great (well, A+ so great by my standards) soldier aaaand of course Quiet didn't like the idea of his secrets becoming mine, so she took the liberty of shooting him in my arms.

"Now, tell me where the others a- ...oh"

I swear Quiet is still working for the enemy, and is blatantly trying to foil my efforts. :saddowns:

Sounds like Boss is a little rusty on the basics of CQC, he should've had plenty of time to subdue that fellow peacefully.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Quiet will actually murder dudes who are on the ground slept/stunned if she is in cover-fire mode.

drat, I don't think I saw that. I think the couple times I recruited folks while doing cover fire mode I must've spirited them away fast enough that she didn't get the chance.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maybe that was it, I did a max friendship run for everyone this time around :3:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*Boss strides up and grabs their CV* We don't lie about our abilities to comrades

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I always thought that was a weird setup since I first found out about it. It feels like other stuff should still progress time, just at a small fraction of the rate. Given all the other invisible counters and stuff buried in the game, that one just feels primitive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

leave yourself one container and ride it to the sky

That's one of my favorite things to do now, but I'll always be a little salty because I came up with that idea in my first playthrough but somehow missed the prompt and decided it was not included as a mechanic. Didn't even find it out and try again until way into my second playthrough :sigh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Is reflex mode just a heads-up and some variable slowdown on top of normal mechanics? Neat if so, I never thought much about it but vaguely assumed it was something more.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah. Turn it off if you want smoother gameplay or are going for points, turn it on if you want an easier time or want to do badass bullshit.

Oh that's cool, it always felt like it must be helping you out more somehow. I like it (and need the help) but it's good that it's a selectable option.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Relevant to earlier chat:
https://i.imgur.com/7s7BGkc.mp4
It gives you a little reward bell if you do it right :3:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I'd forgotten how funny Peace Walker's tapes were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKJekzRHiUU

:lol:
I loved the burger tapes in MGSV and wanted more goofy-rear end stuff like that. I know it wouldn't fit with the Serious main game, but more funny side stuff would've been pretty great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There's so many good possible music moments in that game, but I was gonna mention

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Final Countdown

if you hadn't. It's always the one I'm surprised they got in the game, and it fits almost any range of situation.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8fCQeRWU1k

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 14, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I keep forgetting you can add your own in that version, that's pretty much a selling point even aside from the other mods...and I just remembered I have $30 in refunded steambux sitting there....🤔

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh cool, thanks - I'll look around too. And I use Audacity a bunch, that's a good idea.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

So basically I need to rip the John Cena theme and hire a VO guy to record an announcement for VENOM SNAAAKE.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

David Hayter will do voicework for you for like $20

Basic Chunnel posted:

You get what you pay for: A David Hayter VA performance

Honestly pretty tempted by the prospect of :20bux: worth of David Hayter

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AllisonByProxy posted:

Always a good time to post this gem

:hmmyes:

Neurosis posted:

Steam decided to delete my current run-through of MGS V after 68 hours. No backups or system restore points or anything can save it. Found someone else's game from the same point online and goddamn - his staff, stuff and heroism are crap (it was probably a no-frills run to get a save at that point tbf). gently caress Steam.

Any idea if that's a known issue with the steam version? I ended up picking it up and sorta feel like screwing around with it and some mods now that I'm between games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All Boss wants to do is crank some Europe and catch up on Mother Base stuff, and this wacko won't stop showing off his master plan

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think Kiefer runs the gamut from good to bad, sometimes quiet and somber works well with the story in a way that David Hayter probably wouldn't, but then there are lots of times where that really does get awkward and noticeable, or he feels flat where campiness would really be appreciated. The story's odd enough that I honestly can't imagine one or the other pulling it off completely. In short, Venom is a Snake of contrasts.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CassandraZara posted:

Sometimes I think this, and then I think that it would have been good to have him play Ishmael too, but then I think that would have given away the twist ending.

Yeah, I like that idea but I don't know if it could coexist with the twist. I don't have a real feel for how much of a surprise the twist was for folks in general though (hardcore internet sleuths aside), since I came in well after the release and from outside the franchise.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I can’t give the game credit for that because it also shoved 30+ minutes of cutscenes into cassette tapes.

I know it's objectively a problem with the game structure, but I had a surprisingly good time listening to story tapes while out running side missions, so I can't hate on it too much.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nanomachines?!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

He killed so many people that the shrapnel got further and further extruded until it finally popped out completely.

Just crank out a couple nukes and the problem solves itself!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zereth posted:

There are several of them that are clearly edited like they were actual cutscenes you were watching instead of tapes you're listening to, down to not including the tape hiss effects or anything.

Oh sure, there were some times I guessed that even without consciously thinking about the production differences. It just didn't bother me as much as it should have.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Any fun MGSV mods I should be looking into besides the obvious Infinite Heaven? One I found that looked cool was a poster/cardboard box editor, if I can figure out how to do something more involved than ticking checkbox options :sweatdrop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Morbid's Side Ops

Awesome, thanks :respek:

Now if somebody out there would make a Thomas the Tank Sahelanthropus mod I'll be set.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abcIrOJ7JfE

I dunno, maybe I've been looking in the wrong places for mods

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just let it go, Boss...you can't collect every soldier...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That one's dumb, I only tried it on my own once before immediately ignoring it. I only went back and followed a youtube walkthrough when I realized I was at the point of finishing off all the side ops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Neurosis posted:

Skullface's VA had a cool voice even if his lines were silly.

He's weirdly great, but always bugs me for sounding so familiar...but I've looked him up and it's just an endless string of side character voices, the ones that look like main characters are generally stuff I haven't seen or played.