Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Time to shove this thread back to the front. I'm getting into the post-game of MGS5 and while I don't think this is really going to be an issue it seems the only A++ soldiers you can get through dispatch missions are Combat? From what I can tell all other types I have to extract? I don't think I'm going to run out but I am sending them out on the dispatch missions for S and S+ and they do die on occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

There will come a point in the game where you will find S Rank soldiers in the field. Outside of modding in the PC version, S rank soldiers are the best you're ever going to get ingame.

Any soldiers that specialize in something as S-S++ are most likely going to be A+-A++ in the combat rating. Make sure you put those S++ on direct contract so you don't lose them in base raids/in game ransom/ permadeath.

I don't have PS Plus so no worries about getting raided. I know that S are better and I am finding them in the field, I just mean that for the dispatch missions where you send out something like 30 A++ Combat soldiers and some number of A++ R&D soldiers to get S R&D soldiers back. I know it's not like you lose all the A++ R&D soldiers you send but you do lose some. Probably not worth worrying about though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's kind of funny how easy getting S ranks on almost all the missions is when you come back with a few dozen hours of gear development (and the wormhole fulton and/or anti-material rifle if there are Skulls involved).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's basically the one good actual thematic moment in MGS4.

Note I didn't say only good moment because both Fingerguns of the Patriots and Mount Snakemore exist.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gortarius posted:

So I went back to Phantom Pain after like 2 years and am now doing some sideops as I wait for RnD to finish research.

Now, I'm noticing that the way these sideops work is just incredibly lazy. There's around 6 sideops active at any given time in Afghanistan (I think it's the same in Africa), but they are always the same ol' poo poo. The same prisoner behind the same rock, guarded by the same 5 guys, in the exact same location. The same extraordinary soldier in the same camp in the same spot waiting to be tranq'd and extracted. The tank units or armored infantry units at the very least seem to be in different locations, although the units themselves are always very similar. The zombies pose no threat whatsoever but I think you at least get that parasite gunk from them? Maybe?

So okay, fine. They've got some repetitive sideops, whatever. But now I'm reaching double digits in each category of these sideops, and they are still the same. How long does this really go on for? Am I missing something or does the game really expect me to drive around for 5 minutes across an empty map to reach an outpost to extract the same guy once again and then repeat that for tens of hours? Please tell me the sideops get even slightly more interesting if I just stick with them.

The post game is either doing that or doing the online stuff, yes. Also S ranking missions and completing all tasks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

To be fair that’s pretty much every weapon in every Metal Gear. It got crazy bloated in 4 and 5 with completely useless variations and attachments of course but the tranq gun and sniper rifle were all you needed before too.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 3, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

lol I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to S rank Hellbound and then I remembered about the fast travel system I never used at all during the game. Turns a 20 minute mission into a 5 minute mission. It's even easier to get to the lab from the delivery point than the front gate that you can sprint most of the way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I apparently went the whole regular game and a ton of the post game without ever extracting the prisoner from Backup Back Down that gave you access to the “medical” hand upgrades. That stuff would have been nice to have at a few parts.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Does anything besides MGS3 really have NG+ stuff?

Well yeah, all of them do. I would say that unless you’re really into the FOB stuff in 5 then MGS3 would have the better NG+ stuff if only because it has a much wider variety of areas to mess around in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don’t consider MGS5 to have any NG+ stuff tbh. The FOB stuff is all open to you mid-game and you never play the main plot over again. It’s all NG.

I suppose I'm forgetting about going back and doing all the tasks or S-ranking the missions with all the much, much better equipment you've developed/stolen. That's definitely a form of NG+ no matter one's opinion on 5's mission structure.

I guess FOB's are more "end-game" stuff where you slowly (very slowly without buying coins) make your way up the development ladder and invade bigger and bigger players.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Death Stranding will be good.

If nothing else I did find the first time through the more tense/scary parts of MGS5 pretty well done. Parts of the intro goes on waaaaay too long of course but if Death Stranding is going for even more horror/disturbing as the trailers make it seem then it really will be.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I guess you can get invaded even if you’re not on PS+, you just can’t go defend your base in person apparently? Does that mean I can invade other players without PS+?

If I can invade the hints seem to say that another player will only know they’re being invaded or who did it if the invader gets spotted. Am I reading that right?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Considering how much you need I’m surprised you can’t steal shipping containers of plants too. But I guess you technically “always” need metal and such for more FOBs (Is there a max number you can have? I’ve only ever seen at most 3 for 1 player) and you only need plants for research.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It takes days for not that much.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wow people are fast on the draw when it comes to stealing nukes. I built one for the trophy and disposed of it right after returning to mother base (in case there was a cutscene for it) and I already had a blockade notice. Glad I set myself an alarm.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So a question has been kind of rattling around in my head for a while but it just kind of clicked that I’m not sure at all. If I’m looking at, for example, a platform with 2 decks with 17 guards on 1 deck and 24 guards on the other, are there actually going to be that many guards walking around or is that how many guards can come out as reinforcements have if I get into open combat? Is the number of active guards on a deck a certain % of the total or something?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well to use a simpler example, the current FOB event shows 26 guards total on a 2 deck medical platform. 12 on the insertion point and 14 on objective point. I’ve farmed it long enough to know that there are actually only 6 active guards on the insertion and only 10 on the objective. Disabling those guards doesn’t suddenly spawn more, only if I gently caress up get into combat and kill some are there ever more coming out. Is there a way to tell how many active guards at the start of an insertion there are going to be on a given platform?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seemlar posted:

The maximum number of guards that will be on an FOB not including reinforcements during alert status is 8 on the first three platforms and 12 on the final platform

The rest of the count is decoys

Well that makes me a lot less hesitant to steal some fuel and metal from people with full security. 36 guards I can handle with a tranq pistol and sniper rifle. I kept looking at 26 guards on a single deck and going “no thanks.”

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Putting him in the combat unit takes like 2 seconds.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not in the late game, when I got the idea, since my combat unit has enough S and above soldiers that I can’t even scroll down to deploy him unless I move all my good combat troops.

All available soldiers will show up in the Select Character screen. In any case I just checked and he can't be deployed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

I just did Quiet Extreme and I've either forgotten or never noticed the co-pilot in the post-fight cutscenes.

Please don't remind me of trying to finish Quiet with non-firearm attacks on extreme.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If a soldier has enough of a bonus from medals does that make the game consider them higher ranks when it comes to the level of the combat, security, etc platforms? Ie. can you turn S into S+ and S+ into ++?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks. Will it also actually update the S rank to S+ or will I just have to look at the yellow bonus bar and hope it’s enough?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Their rank will go up on paper as well. However.. I think some don’t reach the next rank ever? Some are S but almost S+ and the medals are enough to push them up, but I think there are others where they’ll be a low S, and no amount of medals will upgrade their rank. Gotta eyeball the bar that says what their rank is and see which ones look like they just need a push.

I have seen that some S are better than others. Suppose I’ll start at the top and see if those can get pushed up but if they can’t then none of them will, at least without mode medals they’re not likely to get. Thanks, good thought.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, so I had no idea that the offline dispatch missions that weren't the "Destruction" missions refreshed with different missions. When I first looked at that menu there were only the "key" missions, a bunch of recruitment missions for up to B soldiers, and the Destruction ones. I didn't need any B soldiers at that point so I just completely ignored the recruitment missions, figuring they were there for players who somehow lost or needed a bunch of low ranks to farm with. Fast forward to today and since the current FOB event is a motherfucker to do (full 4 platforms with cameras, UAV's, and all soldiers in riot armor so "gently caress you" if you want to tranq anybody) I didn't really have an quick way to refill the S ranks (I only have S rank combat soldiers now) I lost on the Destruction combat deployments with their 10% loss rate so I just went "Well, whatever, these recruitment missions only have a 3% loss rate, free GMP, might as well farm them." I was pretty surprised when those finished and I got a bunch of other missions with rewards other than soldiers I couldn't use, including much higher GMP rewards.

Sure wish I knew about that a few dozen hours ago.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The problem with 5’s open world is that most it’s not really part of the game, just a time sink to advance background progress and an obstacle that offers 0 challenge to get through. The only times I think the game couldn’t have been improved by just skipping from one base to the next is 1) that mission where you have go around and kill Soviet tanks, juggling your time and position and 2) the mission where you have to track down that guy while he moves through the big area between bases. Every other time it’s just those terrible “follow and listen to driver talking” tasks. Plus it’s all incredibly boring to look at. I’d take Skyrim any day as an area to walk through.

If Death Stranding will be the same then that’ll be bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nintendo isn't paying for Kiefer Sutherland. Not that he's worth it anyways.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

He finally got around to doing TPP?

He had an actual job for a while. Unfortunately it was for Volition, they had to make cuts after Agents of Mayhem was released and decided they didn't need the video job Chip was doing for them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Man on Fire turning out to be Volgin was true, though that was one of the more obvious ones. It also turned out to be just a thing that didn't have much to do with anything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I thought the implications of it were neat. Psycho Mantis wanders about looking for the Angriest Motherfucker in the World to enable, uses Volgin for a while but finds that this brat kid is even angrier.

So yeah, Volgin is used as a throwaway in service of Liquid’s story.

So in Mission 51 when Venom accidentally shoots Liquid I laughed, that kid’s gonna hold a grudge for decades

Always seemed kind of weird to me that Konami didn't want to release 51 as DLC but I can understand (from a detached business perspective) the reasoning to just wipe their hands with MGS and be done with Kojima's part of it. At least there were enough files out there for people to piece it together and actually end the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I agree that the ending-ending we got is the actual intended ending and a good one at that. Certainly the one we would have gotten after 51. 51 is just the name the internet gave it after all, it probably would have just been an “important” side op. I just wouldn’t consider the future antagonist of the series going off with the eponymous nuclear equipped walking battle tank, never to be seen again until he steals another completely different nuclear equipped walking battle tank to be just some small side story that isn’t important to resolve. Also that whole parasite thing, one of the main plots of the whole game.

Edit: Oh the 51 stuff was actually on the MGS5 GOTY edition or whatever. Well that was good.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 16, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

What are some good tips for getting better at being stealthy in 5? I know a lot of the neat little tricks but I still seem to trigger reflex mode a lot.

Not really sure what there is to say if you know tricks already. Darkness is a huge multiplier to your camouflage so stay in shadows during the day and out of floodlights during the night as much as you can, don't sprint in bases unless you're 100% sure no one is looking, make sure to crawl if you're really close to guards and use rolling to move quicker while crawling. I think diving counts as being prone as soon as you start the dive so it can be useful in crossing gaps quickly since guards won't go into combat unless they see you for sure. You can also dive "up" staircases and you'll quasi-glitch all the way up to the top. If you're in the single player, D-Dog is infinitely helpful in making sure you don't miss someone around a corner. Move slowly when sneaking up on guards because they can hear your footsteps if you're moving fast enough. Magazines are a free way to get a guard to look i the direction you want for a good amount of time. If you have the ammo/suppressor to spare hitting multiple guards in the leg in quick succession with tranq rounds is a ridiculously easy and safe way to quickly clear an area at 0 risk because they'll all go down within a few seconds of each other and won't raise any sort of alarm from being hit with tranqs.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think Hayter probably would have sounded out of place in MGS5 but in games that feature a supernatural Native shaman who carries around a jet fighter cannon, a fat explosive expert who moves around on roller skates, a man who controls bees to the point they can form a working machine gun, a man who was mentally taken over by the spirit of another man via arm transplant but then overcame that spirit but continued to fake it to fool the AI computers that control the world, and spies who write J-pop songs as part of their cover someone who sounds like an 11 year old’s idea of awesome sounds pretty good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hayter does not do dramatic very well. He can do the stoic badass really well (see conversations with Otacon in 1 and 2, talking with the bosses after beating them in 1, semi-mocking Ocelot in MGS3) but in MGS3 or Peace Walker when he has to talk solemnly about The Boss it’s mostly just flat.

But anyone who listens to any of his conversations with Paramedic in MGS3 and goes “This guy sucks!” is lying only to themselves :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't remember if you can theoretically develop it at that point but if you can research the anti-tank sniper rifle use that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If its your first time with only basic equipment just Fulton the truck and run away on D Horse. Serpentine pattern! Go back for the later objectives when you have better weapons.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bis Boss Snake acts weird around girls. Solid Snake hit on everything around him until he got old early.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

But for real, this final (I assume) Quiet mission with all the APCs is driving me nuts. I keep dying out of nowhere to one shots.

Do you have the parasite suit (and enough parasites) and the armor version researched? I think I may have eventually used that but I may be confusing that with when I S ranked it. Either way I remember having a similar aggravating experience, even with the Battle Dress on.

If I am confusing it with the S rank and you’re just trying to beat it, use everything you got. Helicopter support, bombardment, smoke cover, and never stick your head out unless you’re at full health (or if Quiet just really needs the help).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

I try to avoid that stuff and go for a pure high rank, but I've died more times on this one mission than the rest of the game combined, so I guess I'll cheese it. The problem is, each time I do really good for a while, then BAM, one shot out of nowhere. Its annoying.

Of all that stuff, the parasite suit doesn't reduce your rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

D Dog better.