Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

This is the thread for:

• TG chat that doesn't fit into an existing thread
  • Continuing derails from other threads
  • New users and lurkers to say hello or ask questions
  • General forums questions
  • Other bullshit

Standard TG/grey forum rules apply. You can find the 2017 thread here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
And if you haven't checked out this year's resolution thread, you should!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Plutonis posted:

But of course there isn't a 4E tactical videogame because Hasbro/WOTC is full of loving retarded shitheads who need to be chopped to death with machetes given stern looks!!!

Please be respectful on something awful dot com

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Serf posted:

how do they get the laserbeam to stop at sword length

Meterchlorians, microscopic life forms that like it when lasers are finite

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm nice to devs online for free :smugwizard:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Moriatti posted:

Mario and Rabbids is actually the 4e videogame and you can't convince me otherwise.

It's World of Warcraft :ssh:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Covok posted:

I mean, having seen how he looks like, I would not at all be surprised if he sexually harassed women. Not accusing nor, especially not, defending, just saying that he definitely looks like the type of guy who would pull that kind of atrocious stuff.

gently caress off with this poo poo.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Probations finally went through so the thread is open again. No more lovely jokes about what game devs look like.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

Ettin's a big blue eye in a crt monitor.

Hey Ettin! You look like a 90s nazi trying to figure out his lovely 1st gen webcam! Friend computer more like fail computer amirite?

Mods???

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Jeff Rients is friends with/licks the boots of the OSR community's stalker weirdos. Last year, when GMS got sick of Zak's poo poo and posted screenshots of the private G+ group he uses to send his mates after people, Jeff was unironically telling the people that group was targeting that they shouldn't say anything in public because it's "inviting more of the same". Besides being a victim-blaming moral child he seems pretty okay though.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I mean D&D players know a lot about made-up economies that don't work

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Covok posted:

Is Eclipse Phase 2nd Edition out yet?

There's some chat about it in the EP thread I think.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

BESM is basically a universal system with a focus on anime. The best part is probably how skills can cost differently depending on what genre you're going for. But at this point, if I want to play a game about a high school tennis team, I will probably go with a more narrative system.

BESM is also not really balanced at all.

Yeah, this. BESM has some good ideas but it's very easy to break and the game makes that your problem. Sometimes it's obvious (e.g. it's possible to take the Companion Attribute to get some loyal NPC friends, then have them take Companion and so on until you're running Shadaloo, and you should probably not do that if this is a slice-of-life game about a light music club) but sometimes it's not.

If anyone's actually looking for an anime RPG, I've heard good things about OVA.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Iirc the last straw was when someone got doxxed.

That happened to one of the grognards.txt threads but not the last one. IIRC someone posted a link to the criminal record of some game dev dipshit and Winson disappeared the thread from the public forum.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It hit that point all mockthreads reach where the thread regulars want to keep the funny going at the same pace as before, but have run out of any novel things to laugh at on the reg, so things escalated as people resorted to more desperate measures for laughs.

This is right though. When I closed it, grognards.txt was only interesting once every month or so when something new and interesting happened. The rest of the time it was just goons reposting the same content/4E Is Good speeches and making each other miserable.

These days when something actually worth talking about comes up it goes in the chat thread, the industry thread, or wherever else it seems relevant, and when goons run out of things to say about that they just talk about something else instead of reposting some guy's Cultural Marxist Pearlclutchers Made My Dick Not Work blogspot rant. It works a lot better IMO.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

I would love a version of grognards.txt that was less about gawking at racism, misogyny, and other forms of bigotry, and less about people having Wrong D&D Brain Damage Fun, and more about the crazy lengths some specific kinds of nerds will go to with their hobbies. Like D&D needing to represent dozens of historical currencies, or someone getting way too into figuring out all the in-setting ramifications of D&D wizard magic, that kind of thing.

If this were posted, what would you folks want in the OP? Any good blogs to recommend, for example?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Shut up about 5E, Jesus.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Plutonis posted:

It's because the autism spectrum has systematization as one of the symptoms, not because of nerds being subhumans. (well it might be considering the goon consensus on people on the spectrum)

I'd like to think (/hope) that Trad Games is better about people on the spectrum, which is why I'd like to ask the folks here to leave the autism jokes/diagnoses behind :buddy:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Plutonis posted:

It's some of that and the whole self flagellating about "ugh drat nerds" stuff that annoys me. Also how the syndrome is treated on the site as a whole.

Ah, I see! I wasn't sure but I was worried someone else might take it there anyway, so I just made it a general message.

Good to see we're getting even more TG discords too :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

You gotta go deeper if you're talking about Japan. The Bible isn't just the main villain of the game, it's actually a piece of propaganda left behind by an alien race in order to foment conflict between mankind. Those who are in power in the Catholic Church who are in charge of interpreting 'the Word of God' are actually in constant communication with the alien race and receive 'blessings' from them in the form of 'miraculous' super-powers when finally cornered (e.g., the Pope can fire energy blasts from his mouth that cannot be blocked by any currently existing technology, on top of having enough strength to caber toss a mosque's minarets onto a city 50 miles away).

I'm going to make this game and get banned from DriveThruRPG

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Libertad! posted:

In spite of his high view count I cannot find much discussion/synopsis of the campaign. I'm morbidly curious in watching it, but I don't have much time to listen to hours-long videos.

This sounds even more like an incredibly boring waste of time than watching a regular Sargon video

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Well now, this is quite a variation on "original character, do not steal"

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8rencu/batshit_dnd_dm_is_threatening_legal_action_for

At first I thought he was just going to be mad about it but then he actually hurried to the convention and :captainpop:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 16, 2018

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Take the comicsgate chat to BSS!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Okay.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, which of you fuckos backed Sigmata? I want to hear thoughts from people who've read it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Some people admitted to naïvely backing it the kickstarter thread. You might need to march them over here and lock them in the pillory for our entertainment.

Oh I backed it, I'm just waiting until I sit down and read through the thing to post about it :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is it just CAD with PA for flavour or are they going to branch out? I can respect a well-aimed parody with far too much effort put into it (see the Duckman RPG), but seems narrow. I remember reading far too many mediocre gaming comics back then. Shortpacked might count as an honorary member.

While researching for this I brushed up on Penny Arcade, CAD, PvP, the Walkyverse comics, Megatokyo, Mac Hall, VG Cats, Questionable Content, Fanboys, Loserz, Full Frontal Nerdity, Life of Riley, and Real Life Comics. There's a little of all of them in there, I hope.

(I also found some other comics. Have you read God Mode? Look at this poo poo.)

I also looked at 8-Bit Theater but I'm not planning a sprite thing right now, partly because I'm just doing this for fun at the moment but also because:

Plutonis posted:

I don't want to reread Bob and George after a decade lest it loses its luster

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

You should add some edgy flash cartoons in as well like Neurotically Yours

We already did this too :buddy:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Vandar posted:

Real Life Comics, though. Man. I used to be such a big fan of Real Life Comics.

Then I went back last year to check it out after like, a decade of not following it. Turns out the creator apparently stole a bunch of people's money and vanished. Oops!

I liked Real Life Comics but at some point late in its run I missed a bunch of updates and lost my place, and never got around to finding it again. What happened with the last thing? :ohdear:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, that's enough webcomics chat.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Rolling a bunch of dice and tempting my players into making things worse are both fun as hell though :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Why give away your soul for a gun to shoot the demon with when you can kick it in the sack for free?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Soundtracks are cool and more games should have them :shrug:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
CthulhuTech is coming back, you say?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Hey folks! As you may have noticed, TG got a spooky Halloween rename and I'm renaming some of the threads as well. If you have any spooky thread rename suggestions, please let me know.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

rename the 5e thread 'hell' and then close it

I like this except the closing part :colbert:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
We don't need to rehash this here :negative:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Better it be shorter blurbs here than derails in the 5e thread I'd say. Plus there really are a bunch of people who dont follow this subforum that closely and wouldn't know that dude is a slimeball and has had a hand in harassment. Hell I met the guy in real life once or twice and he seemed fine (and was also a close friend of one of the most genuinely decent people I knew from the industry) His online antics seemed utterly out of character with someone from that circle. Heck back in the grognards.txt days goons were the ones who came off as the weirdos whenever they engaged with him or his girlfriend. -So I think it's okay to occasionally rehash the dude is garbage and Mearls and WotC don't mind.
But I'm also not a regular here anymore so I don't know what's completely overplayed and fruitless.

I meant posts about the 5E thread sucking rear end, not that guy.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The better indie communities are free to register SA accounts :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Please stop talking about Discord drama, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm running a Fragged Kingdom game at the moment and it's going pretty well. I wish it had more premade encounters though.