Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Look, it's either that or Rollerball, take your pick.

Rollerball had better costumes at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

So there was this game from SPI called Dragonquest; it wasn't...a good game, but it had a few interesting ideas here and there. SPI got bought out by TSR, mostly to get their board game/wargame stuff and (some folks at SPI claimed) to kill off Dragonquest. I'm pretty sure the folks at SPI who claimed this were having delusions of grandeur, because like I said, the game wasn't great. But one of published adventures for Dragonquest was called the Enchanted Wood, and featured a tower that used to be a demigod named Karsus, whose still living heart was a powerful source of magic. Karsus, his heart, and lot of other elements from the Enchanted Woods adventure got incorporated directly into the FR backstory- Karsus became the wizard-king that hosed everything up in the old magic empire and got turned to stone for his trouble.

(Later TSR decided to republish Dragonquest and did a dual-statted Dragonquest/D&D adventure set in the Realms. This was, I think, shortly before they went bankrupt and they got bought by wizards, because TSR was not making good decisions at this time.)

You’re reading way too much into this. It had nothing to do with editorial or some push from TSR brass. Jennell Jaquays designed all three products involved and decided to reuse her work from the Enchanted Wood in the Savage Frontier because she was proud of it and thought it deserved more attention.

She also designed the 1e/Dragonquest dual-system adventure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

I forget - is Jeff Rients good grog or bad grog? He's doing a thing at our public library.

Good writer, iffy friends. Wrote a great, useful LotFP adventure to give you an idea what’s up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PoultryGeist posted:

Has a game designer ever laid out good ways to make random encounter tables? Working on an exploration campaign, and it would be neat to have some help avoiding pitfalls I've seen in other adventures.

I like this setup by Martin Ralya: https://www.martinralya.com/tabletop-rpgs/dcc-rpg-wilderness-encounter-tables/ It’s pretty easily adaptable to whatever system or setup you’re doing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay let’s talk about how Elminster is the coolest motherfucker

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

How many mothers has he hosed? I'm not deep enough in Realmslore to know.

He has 20+ daughters so let’s quadruple that for the sex that didn’t lead to children and say 100.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

What's the Forgotten Realms equivalent of 9/11? I think my next character is going to be a Truther.

There’s a set of Ao-worshipping Time of Troubles truthers in Waterdeep in 2e and 3e.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Once their was an old Cuban fisherman named Santiago. He caught a fish every time he went out. One night, he had a very productive and pleasant evening discussing American baseball, which was in no way symbolic. The next morning, he went out to sea, where he was an old man, and there was a sea. There were also fish. He caught a very large marlin the first time he dropped in his line. Santiago brought the fish back to port completely intact, and sold it for quite a pretty penny.

I fuckin hate Hemingway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

I thought Farewell to Arms was actually pretty good, but I'm mostly in the same boat. How about :

There once was a man named Oedipus Rex,
You probl'y haven't heard about his odd complex,
Since his name doesn't appear in Freud's index,
Because he loved his mother in a completely appropriate way and his life was uneventful and he acted completely without hubris.

Clap clap clap. Bravo!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

For sale: RPG, never read.

That's like every WotC and Paizo product ever. If you're buying AW you're reading it unless you're the Pundit or Trollman.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

This is a fantasy. We don't need to include bullshit like racism, sexism, or tipping in our make-believe.

Tipping would lead to a bigger more complicated system than Phoenix Command. Way way too much man.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

I just wanna see how aggressive their release schedule is, because 5e's schedule is super slow.

It’s Pathfinder so expect at least two books a month, a big rulebook every few months, and as many support materials as your budget can take.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

potatocubed posted:

Don't forget that the DM's Guild is doing a lot of the heavy lifting as far as supplements and creative content is concerned.

That's what it's supposed to do, but the quality is really bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Given their main competition, does that really matter?

yes? Regardless of what you think of the system, Paizo at least has editors and a layout team.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hel posted:

True, but the infinity engine was pretty bad, which is why PS:T only had like 4 mandatory fights. It's strongest when it's more adventure game than RPG combat.

Nah, real time with pause works fine. Don’t judge the Infinity Engine by PS:T which added a bunch of cruft to the user interface and punted on a lot of gameplay. When you get into the guts of it with Baldur’s Gate or Icewind Dale, it’s plenty.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

I like d12s. Recommend me a game that uses lots of d12s.

Don't say Cthulhutech.

Dungeon Crawl Classics?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes. Bear in mind they ended up rewriting huge chunks of the charm system - the Dragon Blooded, Sidereals, Fair Folk, and First Age material was all practically rewritten because the existing 2e material was either unsalvageable or :effort: copy-pastes from 1e. Of course, even with all that, there was stuff like Sidereal Martial Arts that never got fixed - there was supposed to be Scroll of the Monk II for that. But then they decided they didn't want to waste more time with 2e, canceled that, and decided to move on to 3e, which means most the stuff they "fixed" would basically end up being unsupported for over half a decade...

It's been a real mess.

Real glad I didn't trade my 3.5 PHB in for that. It takes WORK to be worse than 3e.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

now I'm thinking how thick a single book of D&D 3.5 would be if it included every single player-facing supplement in it.

too large. like an entire bookcase large.

edit: you could do it in multiple like 700 page volumes though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, the Pathfinder 2e rules are way less natural language and way more defined terms. It honestly feels a lot like 4e, which is really good.

Also D&D as prescribed rules would be great if 5e had any prescribed rules to make things easier.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What’s the latest hotness in a simple story game for a one-shot? My big gaming group is taking a break from Pathfinder for a month and running one-shots. My first ideas were Paranoia, an OSR dungeon crawl, and Monsterhearts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

double nine posted:

I'm looking for a novice-level rpg game, for 3 people. the goal is to focus on the role-playing/collaborative storytelling, supported by a bit of stats (enough to tickle the imagination but not enough to be intimidating), and not the combat encounter tactics part of certain rpgs. Does such a thing exist?

Sure, try a good PbtA game probably. Like Apocalypse World 2e or Monsterhearts 2e or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Found my poker chips. Gonna run PARANOIA on Monday for a big innocent group. It’s going to be a lot of fun.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hedningen posted:

How good is Roll20/other various online tabletops at running games outside of the big names? I’m preparing a larger-scale hexcrawl, but some of my players are geographically distant and interested in regular games, but I don’t know the specifics.

Issues would be that, at a casual glance, they seem geared towards supporting a specific game, and I’m running a weird modified BECMI-derived monstrosity that is a mismash of crazy rules and prog rock album-inspired weirdness.

Roll20 supports hex maps, but it's a bit wonky. Set some time aside to figure out how you want to set up your maps on the virtual tabletop before you begin play. You can use as little or as much automation as you like on Roll20.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

I just nabbed the latest Battletech: Total Warfare sourcebook before the "new" edition launches in a couple months. Is there a Battletech thread or any regular Battletech players in this forum, preferably in NYC? Much thanks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865366

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Doomsday Dawn is the culmination of a bunch of plot lines going back to before Pathfinder 1e. It’s not trying to be explanatory or introductory and that’s fine: it’s written for Pathfinder fans who already know all that stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also thanks for revealing the entire backstory of an adventure I’m running for goons without using any spoiler tags or anything, you dipshit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kingcom posted:

I've always seen this as the real achilles heel of paizo adventure paths, they really never provide much of a venue or methodology for explaining a lot of whats going on in the adventure path to the players or the motivations behind anything.

Doomsday Dawn is a bit more focused with a single plot line stretching over 14 sessions of play or so, but yeah there’s still a lot of exposition.

Also tonight’s PARANOIA game ended with the Troubleshooters destroying the warehouse they were assigned to protect. A can of Bouncy Bubble Beverage exploded and set off a tacnuke in one of the crates, leveling the warehouse and destroying the entire party. A very successful session.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

To be a bit overly reductionist about it, AW is 'I want to write a story, and maybe roll some dice about it" whereas D&D is "I want to roll dice, and maybe have a story about it".

This is pretty true. I play D&D or D&D alikes to play them, and I have a story in those to facilitate playing them. If I want to tell an actual story, there are way better games for that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

What's the best RP system if I'm GMing for a group of unimaginative and violent people

Pathfinder X-Crawl.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

If you can't even come up with simple ideas then yes, roleplaying games that expect you to come up with simple ideas may be a problem.

And you may be the target audience for D&D 5e.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Tonight is Pathfinder, Saturday is Pathfinder 2e. In between is the new WoW expansion.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a setting that's meant to be Cthulhu+Evangeleon they managed to include far, far more rape than either so much as alluded to.

Rape + Rape = Rape2???

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

You just know some fuckhead on their team went “but that’s my favorite part!”.

Always the rapist, never the raped.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

remusclaw posted:

So, in a situation where I have to make the best choice between two bad options, with hindsight, what is the better game, Pathfinder or 3.5 D&D? Assume I use Paths of War or Book of Nine swords depending on which is chosen.

Pathfinder really does live up to that 3.75 name in so far as there’s a ton of small clarifications and changes that make the game a lot better to play. It’s not going to change anyone’s mind if they don’t like 3e, but it makes for a better game overall.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Foglet posted:

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers is loa fantasy.

:hek:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Why do you guys keep reading this poo poo

brain damage

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Having players that are just there to relax, roll dice when told, and hang out with friends is pretty common. It’s also not a problem - they’re generally peaceable, easy to work with, and play fine. Pretty much every GM book after Robin’s Laws described player types talks about them. Don’t force them into the spotlight because that will backfire. Do give them opportunities to open up more, character specific hooks and so on. If they follow up on that, great. If they don’t, repeatedly, then let them be. Some people really do just want to be in the background and that’s okay. Be there if they need help, answer their questions because this type often doesn’t know the system super well, but they are a perfectly fine part of a good group. Let them do their thing and everyone will be happier.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

and nothing in sotdl comes close to the racist poo poo they put in fatal, but i reckon not much does

myfarog sadly is worse

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

This would be awesome

It's not a bad suggestion, really. Lots of tall tales like that going around the Realms.

The obvious contender to run the Realms is your favourite edition of AD&D. That's what the published material is written for, and it's obviously the easiest game to run. I think you can have a viably good FR game with anything in between the Old Gray Box for 1e to 4e's Neverwinter. Don't touch the stuff afterwards, it's poo poo. Find a published version of the Realms you like, pick a system that can fit it, have fun. Ed still runs his home games in a very-customized AD&D 1e.

If you look up the original meaning of Forgotten Realms, Ed's original idea was basically Toril as a second world connected to our own, with lots of Narnia-style crossovers, families that stretched over both worlds and those kinds of things. I'm not sure what system would be best for that, but it would definitely be a different approach.

And one more that Libertad came up with: running a Godbound game where everyone is one of the big deities thrown down to Toril during the Time of Troubles really lets you do all the crazy hosed up world-destroying poo poo you could ever want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Oh yeah another thing about MyFAROG modern is that Varg goes "for legal reasons I can't include certain religions and ethnicities to have automatic picks for flaws but a GM can make that a homebrew for his game *wink wink*" and then shows flaws like "parasite" which pretty much says you are a blight on society that feeds on people's goodwill and makes you more likely to be a banker, merchant or criminal.

That’s the white people flaw right?