Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Slimnoid posted:

Yesterday I went to my LGS for the first time in over a year and one of the employees there talked about Guild Ball in what I assume was an effort to drum up interest for it. Within 2 minutes he mentioned a character getting raped in the fluff as part of their backstory and chuckled about it.

I loving hate people.

What the gently caress. I'm a huge Guild Ball fan, but that poo poo would've driven me right the gently caress away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
On a totally unrelated note, there's not an existing Stars Without Number thread, is there?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Have you gotten to the weird reboot yet?

There's a weird reboot.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The reboot was because of the delay due to the original artist getting arrested for beating his wife.

Actually, it was because the replacement for the original artist got...kicked off? split up with? it wasn't pretty, but Tess Fowler did a lot of the stuff after Upchurch left. I'm talking about the post-Fowler reboot with volume 4.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'll second Warbirds. It gets the spirit of it right. There's even historical, mad science, and sci-fi supplements if you don't jive with the default setting.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

hyphz posted:

DREAD is an actual acronym in computer security.

Now I think there should be a cyberpunk RPG that uses it to calculate die roll modifiers.

Edit: holy poo poo, it works REALLY well.

Care to explain?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

food court bailiff posted:

Is Genesys any good? It looks like FFG's weird-dice Star Wars system divorced from the license, which sounds like my kinda thing.

That is apparently exactly what it is.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Lurdiak posted:

Why thef uck are you on that site.

I assume he's masturbating.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Lemon-Lime posted:

If I'm running a pulpy sci-fi space-commandos-fighting-space-Nazis campaign in FATE, what are things that people expect to be doing frequently enough to need detailed mechanical subsystems (I've already got alien species rules and starfighter combat rules)?

Repairing / retrofitting/ obtaining nonstandard gear

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Ettin posted:

Yeah, this. BESM has some good ideas but it's very easy to break and the game makes that your problem. Sometimes it's obvious (e.g. it's possible to take the Companion Attribute to get some loyal NPC friends, then have them take Companion and so on until you're running Shadaloo, and you should probably not do that if this is a slice-of-life game about a light music club) but sometimes it's not.

If anyone's actually looking for an anime RPG, I've heard good things about OVA.

Running Shadaloo might actually be balanced in a slice-of-life game about a light music club.

"How are we going to get Balrog-sempai, Vega-sempai, and Mike-kun on the school trip? Their school ID pictures got mixed-up again!"

Ahem. Breaks pretty bad if you're trying to run Street Fighter, though.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Sion posted:

I'm running a Scion 2 one over here.

We just finished character creation. We're using the rules in the book at the moment apart from where they don't make any sense (maybe take another swing at 'em, onyx path. There's- what's aim, exactly?) but I have a feeling that might change as stuff starts getting :catdrugs:

Please give that feedback on the OP forums. It's what Neall reads, and keeps an obvious record of issues raised.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

are there any good podcasts focused on tabletop / rpg game design / theory

Bonus Experience touches on it occasionally; they both write/have written for Onyx Path.

Full disclosure I'm married to one of the podcasters.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Foglet posted:

It's titled Brigador, and it's an (awesome) isometric shooter, not an anime

I've debated trying to adapt it to tabletop, but drat that might be too dark

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

hyphz posted:

Can an RPG actually work if the GM is keener on running than the players are on playing?

Yeah, it just depends how big the gap is, how much feedback the GM craves, and the reason the players are playing at all.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

xiw posted:

I played a Sprawl session a couple of days ago and it was great. Got my washed-up terrorist fixer's telescopic retrotech eyepiece cybereyes wrecked by shrapnel in a motorbike gunfight so I had to run the rest of the mission with empty eyesockets and an auxilary camera duct-taped to my head.

This is fantastic.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Kai Tave posted:

It is Extremely Good, yes.

Better than any Dark Sun product except the original box set (and that's debatable). Fantastic reboot of the setting, with some of the best rules modules for 4e.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Anyone want to sell me on Mutant Year Zero? Its in the bundle of holding and I might give it a shot.

I'm also curious about this!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Leraika posted:

Can we stop talking about webcomics in the tabletop thread?

I blame Ettin and the new sin he plays midwife to.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this is a really good series of tweets

quote:

it had to be D&D because of the tight, unambiguous rules.

While "hey, Fate isn't great for everyone" is certainly true, and I love me some crunchy games...this sentence made me cringe.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Going to be running Dungeon World at a friend's request this weekend, grabbing some nice alt playbooks.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Imagined posted:

I just joined the 13th Age G+ community today!

I got bad news about that.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
That sounds awesome!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Plutonis posted:

I'm at a local RPG event and man I've been out of touch with the local scene. I'm playing some grog wargames with people and I think i'm joining their weekend group since they play not too far from my neighborhood!

Historicals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
ARB and gradenko seem like they'd do well, if they wanted the trouble.