Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Mark Rein Hagen is a loving moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

loving hell

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

hyphz posted:

I mean, my nightmare scenario for this was in a Shadowrun game when a player made a character with some ridiculous level of shooting ability - the highest the system allows I think; another made a mage etc. Since it's city/sandbox based I was having to adlib and was trying to go with the 'what makes sense' process but it was falling apart on that. Mages are 1% of the population, would a dive bar really have one on security?

If your players are being lovely and making he worlds greatest sniper and a mage, dont have them be in a bar, you loving juggernaut. Have them be in prison and then have them break out or something.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

Kinda poo poo, but I had a decent game of Infinity before I went to work today. Though something at my desk smells like deer urine, and that's not a typical library smell.

If you're sitting at your desk while your desk smells of deer urine, I think I've cracked the case.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I enjoyed MAGfest quite a bit, lot of good talking and videogaming. Tabletop scene there was / is pretty meh, but you can't have everything.

Maybe I should be the change I want to see next year. :ssh:

THat'd be great! I am thinking about getting to a point where I can start to travel and run megagames around places. That would be rad.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Plutonis posted:

my hard drive broke again

oh no :(

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Rasamune posted:

My friends and I finally won a game of Pandemic Legacy on Saturday night, so that was cool. Other than that I've just been enjoying AGDQ

Chat has been loving dreadful this year. Like, somehow worse than last year which I didn't think could be a thing?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Plutonis posted:

this is the worst AGDQ ever and i stopped watching after the MGS3 run by a guy who's worse than DSP

let's not say anything crazy now.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

This is the same dude who took fifteen minutes of resettting to get through the Tanker in MGS2 one year.

He sounds really bad at doing speedruns.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

The sentence is real weird but it looks like he's saying "Grognards Go Home"?

Funny how many of the same "designers" who insist on gatekeeping via exposing accusers to their abuser also have an LGBT flag on their twitter icon as if it's some get out of jail free card.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Simian_Prime posted:

One could say the D&D license is a pretty good metaphor for the current state of American democracy: An outdated system that once set the standard, but still riddled with problems solved long ago by its imitators, mostly due to an entrenched fan base that despises change.

we just got the thread unlocked you dummy

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Something else cool about 4e in a more general sense is how well it evokes theme via mechanics. You don't just say "kobolds are sneaky," or expect GMs to know how to make kobolds sneaky - kobolds in 4e straight up have an ability that allows them to slip away and be sneaky. They're sneaky by default, just by using a kobold's few abilities you're automatically going to make them be sneaky assholes, and that's super cool. This extends to a lot of stuff, like Dwarves being extra durable due to getting to take their second wind as a minor action. It's pretty smart.

yeah but there's no mechanical difference between wizards and rangers therefore

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Cassa posted:

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/962092879886757889

This is good and normal for a lead developer.

Funny how many of the same “designers” who insist on gatekeeping via rules complexity and poo poo layout also have a problem with editors in tabletop gaming.

Hey guys! You’re all fired from D&D. Find another game.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

If there is no rear end in a top hat, there is no truth.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

also no place for the poopoo to come out

except for posting

can we please not do another 14 page Hyphyz derail please

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Star Trek Discovery is loving trashgarbobad.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

As far as being compared to the Orville goes, it does have the advantage of having nothing to do with Seth McFarlane.

Yeah but you're swinging for a low ball there.

There is some offensively awful poo poo in Discovery. From the idiot-plot (a plot that only works if everyone involved is an idiot), the loving warcrime committed in the second episode, the general loving visual ugliness of the entire production, the fact that we're told and never shown that the federation is apparently a lot of people doing good things, the Captain that straight up goes 'gently caress this seeking new life poo poo, I'm gonna explode this giant tardegrade to make my engine go faster,' to the total waste of the mirror universe plot line. Like- it is just offensively terrible, on an almost overwhelming degree.

Sion fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 22, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

slap me and kiss me posted:

The real answer is to just play r6 ranked with a full squad of 5.

i bought the starter set for R6 and there's no way to convert that to the full version of the game without spending a loving obscene amount of money. :(

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Starter Edition is a complete scam and I wish a bigger deal was made of it.

yeah pretty much. like- it was 15 bucks at the time, and there's no route to convert to the full kit. seeing as how the full kit is now super cheap I feel pretty fuckin' cheated.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

At the time where they launched it the main game was $60 occasionally discounted to $45, so a $15 ultra-grindy edition where you can buy $45-50 of Clancybux to unlock the basic operators was fine.

The problem is that now the base game routinely goes down to $25 or lower and there's still no upgrade path from starter, and their response to people wanting that was to just give a couple more random operators to people who bought the starter edition after the start of March (but not existing starter edition owners), which loving sucks.

Yeah. This whole thing has soured me on Rainbow Six loving hard. Like- I am amazed that a bigger deal isn't made out of what a loving sham the starter edition is.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Ewen Cluney posted:

Ron Edwards is working on a seminar thing he calls "Finding D&D," where he basically makes the case for D&D culture being a religion of sorts. I'm still watching and digesting it, but it's really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmQz7-qe_3s

Also I like how he said that when he first started publishing in 2000, stores would ask him why it wasn't d20. Two years later, they had so much unsold product that they would ask, "It's not d20, is it?"

You can run anything in D20!

I'm reminded of that roleplaying game for the awesome comic The Red Star. THat was D20 and was a loving mess.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Grey Hunter posted:

Even I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing.

COYA vary on the improv level, but even those that start backed by rules tend to move well past them quickly.

Come make bad choices with everyone else!

I'm running a Scion 2 one over here.

We just finished character creation. We're using the rules in the book at the moment apart from where they don't make any sense (maybe take another swing at 'em, onyx path. There's- what's aim, exactly?) but I have a feeling that might change as stuff starts getting :catdrugs:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

LeSquide posted:

Please give that feedback on the OP forums. It's what Neall reads, and keeps an obvious record of issues raised.

I am pretty sure it got picked up on. Do you know if there's going to be a second version of the text only for Origin and Hero?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Covok posted:

It took me a second to get that joke. I mean like a little half second, but I'm still ashamed by the delay.

Who's joking?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Covok posted:

Can I be unbanned from the discord server?

what did you do to get banned

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Serf posted:

my default npc personality is "retail worker who wants to not be having this conversation"

please stop playing self-inserts

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I can't tell what's better, the fact that you're this salty over someone impugning the honor of Martin "Full rear end Rape Stiffness" Ericsson or the fact that you've been registered here since 2012 and apparently these are your very first actual posts, you going to bat for this.

It's a hell of a hill to be born/die on.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hey, so how about that Infinity War or literally any other topic to stop the White Wolf thread leaking into here?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

What are the best superhero RPGs besides Marvel Heroic?

Mutants and Mastermi-

oh

oh no

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

how there's 6 minutes between this one and the last one how did you do this.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

I hosed up an edit?

Well... okay then :shobon:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

The version of D&D with all the free sex parties that they used to draw us into Satanism.

So- Adventurer's League?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

Is there any superhero RPG out there that's both good and isn't an overcomplicated mess of mechanics?

gonna pump for Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Serf posted:

i still like how shadow of the demon lord handles it. 1 adventure = 1 level

serf in likes something about shadow of the demon lord shock

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Completely and utterly unrelated to this, my X-Men game has been running for 220 days now. It's no Blackbird Dreaming, but I think that might be at least a personal best :shobon:

It has been pretty great and people should read it

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Wasn't that the one that was meant to be about the DC Universe until DC was like 'pen and paper games are dumb'?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

alg posted:

Cubicle 7 is finally previewing details of WFRP 4e. They've said it is close to 2e (which is excellent) but they've added some new features. So far what they have previewed hasn't included boxed sets with cards so it should be a marked improvement over 3e. It's also Old World before the end times :) Today they previewed the tests in 4e:

It's weird to me how the actual tabletop went all End Times and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth but everything else about the property is pre-end times.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Cassa posted:

So it's that time of year, you've been practicing and practicing and practicing, and figure sure, why not spend a weekend playing a game you enjoy against other people. Maybe you'll make some new friends, or at least see some really cool armies and get a story for the people at the FLGS?

You pay your £50 in advance and make sure your army is all organised, things are what they seem to be and your list is as good as you can hone it.

Then you rock up on the day to the Olympic stadium in London, what a treat! Oh but you can't bring in outside food, that's annoying but oh well, pretty standard.

You line up for a while to see what table you're on and there it is. So you wander down, past some fantastically thematic pieces.

And you think, wow! I can't wait to see what I get to play on.

But it's this.

But hey, it happens. It's a big event, 400 players, not every table is going to be amazing. So you look around a little and nope, not just one table. It's a fuckload.

What a loving disaster.

Images taken from; https://www.facebook.com/LondonGrandTournament/posts/1882266568490776

There is nothing about this that's worth £50 gently caress that get a refund.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm running a campaign for the first time in a couple of years, and I'm thinking of trying to digitize things a little more to cut down on the amount of paper, and make more resources available to players. How do people handle the "bookkeeping" parts of running a tabletop RPG these days? Are there good cross-platform character sheet things? Good DM/GM mobile or PC apps that let you keep NPCs, story info, text blurbs, and maps all in the same place? I could do all this in Google Drive, I'm sure, but I'd be interested in hearing about any other options that might exist.

If it matters, we're not 100% certain on which system yet, but I suspect given this group's tendencies and experience, it'll probably be D&D 5e or Trail of Cthulhu.

http://orcpub2.com/ is a pretty good character sheet creator and storage thing. Give it a poke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Splicer posted:

I don't... what?

Just back away. Anger is super bad for you.