Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

sixth and maimed posted:

We're looking at replacing the firewall in one of our companies and the supplier recommended changing from Checkpoint to Palo-Alto. Then they quoted us €16k for it, which is a bit much. Any suggestions for decent firewalls for a fairly typical SME?

Fortigate all day, but sizing them can be a pain and you really want to have someone familiar with them to give you a baseline secure config.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

mllaneza posted:

It's reassuring to hear that Fortigate is good stuff. Thanks.

Just in Research, we're going to end our Win10 migration project with dozens or hundreds of systems that simply can't be upgraded. Most of those will still need network access to get research data to where it needs to go. We started by saying that they'd be "isolated" somehow. VLANS with ACLs won't work for us because of reasons. The access control project is running way behind, and could be defeated with a USB-Ethernet adapter. So we've been talking to Network Security about firewalls.

They don't like the idea of adding that many individual firewall appliances to be managed (and cost licenses, etc.) which can be defeated by a scientist swapping cables around. What do ?

I sold Security my nightmare scenario: a malware-loaded thumb drive dropped in an company parking lot worldwide can get at all of Research and a good chunk of Manufacturing. So now we're going with a redundant pair of high-end Fortigates per building. This will protect the entire research infrastructure, not just individual machines.

I'm super stoked that the chances I'll have to explain a malware infection are about to drop considerably.

I'm reasonably certain you can configure a Fortigate to quarantine or transparently segment devices based on OS via access control software rules, but I would have to look up how. The depth of network penetration they get is unreal. Like "clients running kernel version X cannot talk with other devices on the same subnet" level.
But I might be misremembering.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I don't know where else to put this. Liquids don't compress and cylinders are really strong, right?

https://mobile.twitter.com/caylenb/status/1075583545446301696?s=19

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sickening posted:

I am beyond caring about the "why" and I am honestly confused why anyone else would be either. They might not legitimately know what caused the screen to break. It also doesn't matter if they know. Laptops and phones breaking as people use them is simply the cost of doing business.

I can assure you 100% that they don't want to go through the headache of getting a laptop replaced. Almost as much as you not wanting to replace it.

Getting transparently lied to about stupid poo poo like you're talking to a three year old is infuriating, no matter how trivial the fix is.
It doesn't matter if they know, it matters if they can be an adult about it during a routine workplace interaction. You're right in that no one cares why it broke, and neither us nor the end user is directly paying for it anyway, but someone telling me they have no idea how the crayon got on the wall is just disrespectful in colleague interactions.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Years ago, I was responsible for cell phones in my medium-sized business. We had a bunch of folks that were field engineers in both senses of the term "field". One day one of the older guys came to me with a sheepish grin and an iPhone folding at a 30° angle.

Apparently it fell out of his pocket just as he was closing the heavy-rear end door on his truck, and got caught.

Beside the fact that we already budgeted for accidents (these guys were in some pretty gnarly places), he was at the end of the contract for his line and due for an upgrade anyway. He just had to wait a day or so because his sim card also had a measurable curvature.

The phrase "his sim card also had a measurable curvature" is making me giggle every time I read it, so thanks for that.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
We're about to do a major mobile device rollout because our industry has a good niche for them. What we do is essentially small scale construction and small to huge scale wiring, and having a foreman take a metric poo poo ton of timestamped pictures at the end of a job saves a ton of headaches. We keep a copy, the customer gets a copy, and when they ask us or come after us for something months down the road, we can say "that's not what it looked like when we left".

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ConfusedUs posted:

That fuckin' sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
My father in law's small company just force moved from rackspace to 365, what's the chances of them ever getting historical email out of rackspace? Is it "dump all rackspace email still in outlook to pst and upload it" time?