Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Steakandchips posted:

Any update from Larches?

Collapsed from heart failure at a family picnic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mewse posted:

It's probably this guy

God, I've seen that probably a hundred times and it still makes me laugh.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

stevewm posted:

What alternate universe do you live in where printers never jam? And how do I get there?

What are you talking about? That's how printers have always been. By the way, anyone hear about the big AMD bug? Thank God President Castro is at the helm of the US economy or I'd be worried.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

teamdest posted:

Do it up finance style instead - Joe takes a mandatory 6 week vacation. if we see any manual inventory changes we know it's not him. If everything mysteriously stops being fucky, guess who doesn't have to come back to work and also has an investigation started.

That's what I was thinking too, that's how I'd handle it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder if Yahoo keeps metrics on how often their site is used to find Google.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kurieg posted:

The worst I've ever done was accidentally drop a table I was trying to truncate. But that was in a test environment and we were able to trash and refresh it while we were at lunch.

The most instructive failures I was witness to, taught me the importance of version control, and that you can get away with literally anything if the CTO is using you as an excuse to expense trips to strip clubs.

The first time I saw "truncate" it was via a UI and I expected that when I clicked on it, I'd get a dialogue window to indicate how much I'd like to truncate, i.e. shorten (something) by cutting off the top or the end.

No warning, no confirmation box. All the data gone.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Arquinsiel posted:

The nice thing about the internet is that to me everyone is faceless, so now the human shaped blob of sadness behind a computer is slightly happier.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I've spent the few months pushing back and asking "Why are we logging and alerting on this? Will this produce anything actionable?" and the answer has always been "Well, we can log it, so of course we should. And you never know when you're going to need to do something about... something."

Alarm fatigue is a real thing, but the bosses who don't have to actually do anything about it refuse to realize it.

The best policy I've ever seen for an alerting system was to forbid email alerts. It's either a formal incident with an SLA and all that jazz, or it's just a meter on a dashboard. If it's not important enough to make someone do a bunch of paperwork every time that it pops up, it isn't an alarm.

This means that if something goes off five times a day, someone gets pissed and starts screaming that all they do all day is clear incidents because CPU went over 50% and either they fix the threshold, fix the cpu problem, or turn off the cpu alarm.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been specializing in a system that has Overlord, Middle-Managers, Supervisors and Peons

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Guy Axlerod posted:

Druid?

A friend said his company has a initiative to also remove any military or violent metaphors. They also said a sanity check or sane default was ableist and no longer allowed.

That's the one. I worked on some super obscure Hadoop DB system before where I had to write a ton of my own code to automate, so it was really nice to see supervisors that are what I wrote, except good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyways, point being I am powerful and unstoppable and I am flourishing.

All that's left is to die from accidentally inhaling too much canned air:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=449159741#post449159741

quote:

The Chief Engineer is called into the conference room on a Friday afternoon. As he walks through the door, he sees the heads of every department sitting around the large decorative table, eyes locked on him. Sitting between the General Manager and the President is myself, hands clasped on the table in front of me.

"What's all this about?" He asks, a look of concern flashing across his face momentarily.

"Oh, we just wanted you to test our new management tool," I reply.

At this point, he seems to notice the miles of metal tubing, wires, gadgets, gizmos, and gewgaws suspended from the walls and ceiling. I motion to a single red button in the center of the table.

"If you would, please press that button," I request.

He balks at this. The President and General Manager stare sternly at him. Eventually, he concedes and pushes the button. Nothing happens for a few seconds and I feel a slight panic rising. Suddenly, though, a clockwork whirring begins, and a single metal ball bearing begins it's journey along the maze of piping. All eyes dart around the room watching the ball as it travels from pipe to pipe, clinking and clanking its way to its inevitable goal. The room-sized Rube Goldberg monstrosity carries on its task, becoming increasingly more complex. No one talks; no one moves. Every person's attention is transfixed on the small bearing.

Half an hour has passed since the Chief Engineer pushed the button. The ball is still pinging and clinking through the obstacles ahead of it. Suddenly, it drops into a small cup suspended from pullies, the weight of the bearing pulling the cup down. A hidden network of painstakingly interconnected pullies begins to pull taut, and the final phase of this machine has commenced.

I am lifted from my seat, the wires attached to my body cleverly hidden beyond the curtains behind me. At an agonizingly slow pace, I float above the table and am carried towards the Chief Engineer. As I make my way towards him, a piece of paper lowers from the ceiling and suspends itself right in front of his face. Written on the paper are two words: You're Fired.

"Fired," he exclaims incredulously, "what am I being fired for?"

At this point, my journey has ended. I am now floating with my face mere centimeters from the Chief Engineer's face. I close the distance and put my lips right next to his ears.

"That's really none of your business," I whisper, "You just let me handle this."

His chair then catapults him through the window and I am crowned the new Chief Engineer. After the applause dies down, with all hands thoroughly shaken and backs sufficiently patted, I stand to make my grand acceptance speech.

"I just want to take this opportunity to say something I've wanted to say for a long time now." All eyes are staring at me intently, hanging on the wisdom I am about to impart.

"Y'all suck a lot. I'm out of here. Peace."

I take my leave. The room is filled with the sounds of defeated sobbing.

I spend the next three years trying to find employment and eventually die from accidentally inhaling too much canned air.

The end.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It was a bad idea in hindsight, but we used to play Doom on the shipboard network when I was in the Navy.

It ended up being pretty good for communication, because it had chat that people were always paying attention to.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Shugojin posted:

Low level help desk is 99.9% tricking people into doing stuff they think is too dumb to do.

My favorite one was a guy who worked for the ISP asking me to unplug both ends of the cable, flip it around, and plug it back in. (The actual problem turned out to be, inexplicably, "modem refuses to connect at speeds greater than a 56k connection if its power is coming through a surge protector of any kind")

It's kind of a lovely request, but it does actually check a lot of good steps. It reseats both ends of the cable, ensures that it's the same cable on both ends and not cut or damaged.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jaded Burnout posted:

I remember 1999-era Dragon Naturally Speaking. A very long way indeed.

https://www.somethingawful.com/fashion-swat/science-fair-swat/14/

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm currently watching support from a product vendor who is remoted into this server and she's trying to export a .csv. She keeps trying to save it with a / in the filename and it doesn't save, obv. She then backs completely out of the program and starts over, only to do the same thing. She's done this 4 times now. I want to see how long she can get stuck in this loop.

I need to start counting next time I see someone try to copy/paste something into a PuTTY window, but accidentally click and drag when they click into the window, overwriting their clipboard.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

All unknown calls go to voicemail immediately, and most known calls also go to voicemail. If a business doesn't have an online or email ordering system, I will probably shop elsewhere.

There's a moment in a Jhonen Vasquez comic where one character finally coaxes her agoraphobic friend outside by saying, "I found a Chinese restaurant! There's no people. It's just robots and conveyor belts. I know you love that poo poo." And I'm like, "drat, that's me."

Call center PTSD is real.

I remember eating at a restaurant in Japan and they had booths with a 3 section panel door. When you got in, the panels were in the center so you could slide into the booth, and then during the meal, they'd open the center door to deliver the food.

There was a little button you could press if you needed service, but otherwise it was a quiet little room with no interruptions.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KennyTheFish posted:

The wiki articles introduction is moderately understandable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature

It's kind of a hit to the ego, but sometimes I check simple English wikipedia for some scientific or mathematical concepts:
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature

The regular wikipedia articles often seem to be written for an audience that is already an expert on the subject. Simple english wikipedia has an audience of people who have a limited vocabulary and are trying to figure stuff out for the first time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

duz posted:

Also crucially, if you removed a step that looked like it wasn't needed and everything broke, you put the step back in.

Can't you just make it so that removing the step doesn't break things, tia

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GreenNight posted:

Like if you drive your car but forget the step to close your door, how stupid are you? It's the same thing.

Is how I relate to our users.

I've opened a car door while the vehicle was in very slow motion and it raised a holy racket of alarms. But I'm also realizing that there's probably a lot of people who don't know and will never know that there's an alarm for that. It's also making me wonder what stupid stuff there's alarms for that are so dumb that it didn't even occur to me that you could do them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think one of my most satisfying tickets was when I got a ticket saying that they'd been calling for days, putting in multiple tickets and been ignored for some printer, and it'd been escalated to a VP.

I fixed the problem, it was easy, and then I insisted on figuring out how the problem could have been ignored for so long so that I could figure out who dropped the ball in the IT department. I don't think that VP was very impressed when I started collecting information on the previous tickets and every single manager had an answer like "Oh, bob put in the ticket on the previous shift." *calling up bob and putting him on speaker* "Oh, Jen on morning shift put in the ticket." *calling jen on radio because her shift's almost over* "Oh, I thought gary took care of that."

Turns out they'd been missing important reports and loving up poo poo for a couple of weeks and nobody'd actually reported it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's normal for telephony, but if it's too loud then it's going to be distracting. If it's set properly most people don't notice it unless it's missing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

duffmensch posted:

Customer facing ISP support is its own special level of hell.

My best call ever was two brothers. One knew a little English, but nothing about computers. The other knew a little about computers, but no English.

The whole call was the one brother trying to translate as I gave instructions, and at a few points things weren't working and they were just shouting at each other in some other language.
They got through it, and they were nice to me and appreciative at the end.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't ever call anyone by their title, or their last name. gently caress that poo poo, life is too short and you should be glad I can remember your name.

Dear user:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Slack feature request:
When someone sends a "Hi" message, it doesn't actually send until additional context is provided, and warns the user that it's still waiting for an actual message before it gets sent.

Maybe if it senses something along the lines of "quick question" it prompts them to include the question first.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's just that chat isn't a verbal conversation, an immediate response is not guaranteed, and it's not fair to act as if one is expected, at least not until the conversation is going.

By not including the context needed to answer the question at a later time, it implies a demand for an immediate response, and that's rude.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess I'm just getting older and crankier.

I respond to requests for a WebEx with a request for a brief agenda. I don't need anything detailed, but at least let me know what the basic purpose of the meeting is and what you want to have done by the end of it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Fool posted:

Nohello is like peak passive aggressive nerd

That being said, if someone does it to me i will force them in to awkward small talk before answering any questions

I've definitely done that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Iron Rose posted:

i just talk to people like a normal human being because usually if people are talking to me it's because they need something to happen, and i like making things happen.

I get that, and I'm trying not to overstate my aversion to "hi" messages.
I don't check on my messages constantly, I try to peek at slack only periodically for a certain amount of time to keep from spending all day on chat.

So I see a "Hi" message from 10 minutes ago, I respond "Hi, how can I help you" but they're not at their desk now, so I sit there for a minute, and then try to get back to work. 5 minutes later, they come back with "Hi! qq real quick."
and usually I get back to them right away with "Hi, what's your question? How can I help?"
And then they pull a "Can we do a quick webex?" but I've got a meeting coming up soon so I don't want to get stuck on a call, and I have no idea how long it's going to take or what's even going on.

It would be easy if I didn't actually give a poo poo, because then I'd never respond, but I actually do want to help people so I worry, and this kind of stuff is the workplace equivalent of "we need to talk" from a family member. I don't know if somethings seriously broken or if you just wanted to have me vote for your video showing off your team's accomplishments.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fil5000 posted:

Sounds like entrapment to me

This joke is still great.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you have a good password policy, you can actually set that lockout number really high without much risk.

Compliance rules might require something lower, though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Fool posted:

This is my feeling on the subject as well. As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing anything where you would need to pull in a .net class you should be switching to C# or Python depending on your environment.

Powershell works very well for automating admin tasks in supported environments and basic API stuff. If you're trying to do more, use a different tool.

It's okay on occasion to use a .net class, but it's also a hint that you're starting to outgrow PowerShell in your career.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Excel gets a bad rap, but it's pretty much your only option if you need to record events that occurred on Feb 29 1900.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Give me a raise or become another chapter in my eventual book while I :yotj:

I'd buy a copy:

larchesdanrew posted:

The Chief Engineer is called into the conference room on a Friday afternoon. As he walks through the door, he sees the heads of every department sitting around the large decorative table, eyes locked on him. Sitting between the General Manager and the President is myself, hands clasped on the table in front of me.

"What's all this about?" He asks, a look of concern flashing across his face momentarily.

"Oh, we just wanted you to test our new management tool," I reply.

At this point, he seems to notice the miles of metal tubing, wires, gadgets, gizmos, and gewgaws suspended from the walls and ceiling. I motion to a single red button in the center of the table.

"If you would, please press that button," I request.

He balks at this. The President and General Manager stare sternly at him. Eventually, he concedes and pushes the button. Nothing happens for a few seconds and I feel a slight panic rising. Suddenly, though, a clockwork whirring begins, and a single metal ball bearing begins it's journey along the maze of piping. All eyes dart around the room watching the ball as it travels from pipe to pipe, clinking and clanking its way to its inevitable goal. The room-sized Rube Goldberg monstrosity carries on its task, becoming increasingly more complex. No one talks; no one moves. Every person's attention is transfixed on the small bearing.

Half an hour has passed since the Chief Engineer pushed the button. The ball is still pinging and clinking through the obstacles ahead of it. Suddenly, it drops into a small cup suspended from pullies, the weight of the bearing pulling the cup down. A hidden network of painstakingly interconnected pullies begins to pull taut, and the final phase of this machine has commenced.

I am lifted from my seat, the wires attached to my body cleverly hidden beyond the curtains behind me. At an agonizingly slow pace, I float above the table and am carried towards the Chief Engineer. As I make my way towards him, a piece of paper lowers from the ceiling and suspends itself right in front of his face. Written on the paper are two words: You're Fired.

"Fired," he exclaims incredulously, "what am I being fired for?"

At this point, my journey has ended. I am now floating with my face mere centimeters from the Chief Engineer's face. I close the distance and put my lips right next to his ears.

"That's really none of your business," I whisper, "You just let me handle this."

His chair then catapults him through the window and I am crowned the new Chief Engineer. After the applause dies down, with all hands thoroughly shaken and backs sufficiently patted, I stand to make my grand acceptance speech.

"I just want to take this opportunity to say something I've wanted to say for a long time now." All eyes are staring at me intently, hanging on the wisdom I am about to impart.

"Y'all suck a lot. I'm out of here. Peace."

I take my leave. The room is filled with the sounds of defeated sobbing.

I spend the next three years trying to find employment and eventually die from accidentally inhaling too much canned air.

The end.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Knormal posted:

I first misread this as saying you had your vending machines on the UPSes, which would be a better use for some than certain users I've seen get them.

I've seen a UPS where the only thing on the battery side was a space heater and a printer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I usually say something like "I've just gotten so specialized that I've lost touch with normal computer stuff. Anyways, what kind of database are you running and how many data centers are talking?"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Just make sure you buy my book when it comes out.

You better not be teasing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Serious question: What can I do with old laptop batteries? Most if not all are swollen, some more than others. I've been keeping them individually boxed, and several feet apart, but it's time to get them out of my apartment. Will someone pick them up or accept them if I drop them off? I'm in Chicago if that helps.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A ticket came in: All of a customer's Linux boxes crashed.

Resolution: Their third-party backup provider deleted /bin on all machines.

This is an easy one to explain to customers. Go to their desk, take some important papers. Then dump them in the bin. Ask them if they expect them to be there tomorrow.
Training complete.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know Dr. Arbitrary so I'm not sure if he's making a joke about /bin being similar to another term for trash can or if he actually thinks that the /bin directory in a Linux system is the same as the recycle bin in Windows.

If this turns out to be the actual explanation, you're honor bound to tell us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Silly Newbie posted:

I don't know where else to put this. Liquids don't compress and cylinders are really strong, right?

https://mobile.twitter.com/caylenb/status/1075583545446301696?s=19

The project manager wanted psssshhh access to it. Why nowafter all this time I didn't ask.