Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

today is my first day back after my two month vacation and I am pumped

I really like my job :unsmith:

What is it like being the only person in the world whose Lit degree worked out for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You're contentment with life is somehow not upsetting. I think I might be growing up. Time to play some video games and ponder this deep happening.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Made out? No.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Motherfucker overplayed his hand. I admit it, I totally bought this shtick the 1st year. He got me hook, line, and sinker. But come on. Year two has gone off the rails. "I have the biggest nuclear button" and "I'm, like, really smart." Trump is a Kaufman-esque covert comedian. I can't even imagine that level of commitment. Frankly, he's a testament to the indomitable nature of the human spirit.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Strongly agree. Remember that New York rat that ate the pizza? He was pretty cool.

Ehud posted:

I just started using Betterment for retirement saving. It's retirement for lazy idiots.

Word? I've heard about them helping direct your money to less evil places, which is appealing. Plus, I'm the laziest idiot. Have you liked them?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I get it. Franken was by a wide margin my favorite Senator. But come on, dude had to go.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How is he possibly your favorite Senator

Past tense. Until recently it wasn't common knowledge that Al Franken groped every woman within arms reach.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Duckworth isn't great. She's all for "compromising" with republicans on privatized infrastructure and "appropriate" tax cuts. She essentially embodies that grand bargain affliction that Obama suffered from.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Thaddius the Large posted:

Merkley’s definitely the superior Oregon senator, but he’s so forgettable he doesn’t even get recognized when he sits in a Portland brewpub hours at a time.

Truth. Merkley is an excellent explicitly pro labor and I didn't even think of him because :geno:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, it's called a Ravens' offensive drive.

I'll have you know the Ravens have secured James Urban, the Bengals WR coach, as our QB coach for 2018. This guy coached up bums like AJ Green into respectable #1s. So you know, problem solved.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
A ton of union workers in my work group working the cushiest, most protected jobs I have ever seen believe this tripe. America is dying of dumb.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm up for this promotion that would put me on night shift permanently, but give me 4-10s and a 15k promotion. I'm thinking of turning it down because it's non union. Being a union member is the best.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Be proud. Those are real accomplishments that you earned within the framework of your community. It's not a stretch to say that my union has made me a better person.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think a lifetime of being shat upon by corporate master has instilled an openness to unions among millennials. Though there is that unreachable group of older folks. For some reason voting for Ronald Reagan led to a lifetime of doing whatever it takes to rationalize that decision.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's not discrimination if someone takes action against you because of the content of your character or the value of your ideas. Those are the things everyone should be judged on. Somehow that doesn't connect for the "persecuted" conservative.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Three Billboards was a bad movie populated by cartoon characters slightly redeemed by a back 1/4 with a bit of planing and nuance that was wholly absent in the rest of the film. It's a shame, I really loved Cavalry.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Different directors. There are two McDonagh brothers. Three Billboards was done by Martin who made Seven Psychopaths, In Bruges, etc.

Calvary was made by John who also did The Guard.

That would explain would why I felt this was more like his other inconsistently good film, Seven Psychopaths.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've never had any interest in Harry Potter but the Universal set up was pretty impressive.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Devilman Crybaby was cool when it was mindless violence but the back half seems to be attempting to say something about how it's actually not cool to be prejudiced against murderous monsters. That's dumb.

Anyway, shoutout to all my Redwall peeps in the thread. Martin died for our sins.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
What? She couldn't have been older than 45.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I can understand the thought process behind an otherwise decent person becoming a cop, or a fed or even part of the CIA or DEA, but what kind of loving monster says "I want the sum total of my job to be tearing apart families."

You can rationalize anything but joining the DEA is about as bad as joining ICE.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the DEA at least superficially enforces a social good

So does ICE. There is a theoretical rendering of the agency that works to prevent terrorism, protect border towns from the higher crime rates that are often found there, and gently enforces trade laws. Instead GWB decided we need a bunch of the dumbest mother fuckers in America armed to the teeth to fend of the Mexican scourge.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I have a big fat 0$ in student loans. Thankfully my wife went to grad school in New York so if public service loan forgiveness gets nurfed in the ways we all expect we'll never be debt free. There's pretty much no element of the plague upon millennials that I haven't gotten to experience first hand.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Considering recent Dolphin's history that's a hell of an accomplishment.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Shangri-Law School posted:

I met Morgan Spurlock in an airport once, which was cool, but then he turned out to be a sexual harasser, which was not cool. I also once heckled David Brooks, the weasel.

I used to consider David Brooks an idiot but essentially the thoughtful opposition that would exist in a better democracy. Then for about a year NPR played a clip of a Diane Rhem interview with Brooks as an ad for her show in which he criticizes a football player celebrating a defensive stop by comparing him to Bob Hope expressing his gratitude for the end of World War 2. I no longer have any positive thoughts about David Brooks.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm struggling with the words to say I hope everyone is okay and :krad: at the same time.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Feeling awful about how we as a nation treated Tanya was somewhat explicitly the point of the film. Still found the whole story totally hilarious.

Allison Janney is great. Her performance here is just under her magnum opus of Drop Dead Gorgeous.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

piss tape israel posted:

Helen Hunt and Leelee Sobieski for me

Isn't there a 30 year are difference between these two people?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
^^^ Ya'll are also wrong.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

A few people at work were arguing over what generation is what, and who a millennial is, and someone asked what the generation prior to the Baby Boomers was called. I leaned forward and said "the greatest generation" and now everyone is laughing at me for being an idiot, but I think that's the right answer and the rest of my coworkers are the idiots

Sorry buddy, it's the Silent Generation then the Greatest.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

They're the same. Silent Generation isn't in as common use I don't think, but they're both referring to the people born in the 1920s: those are the people who were serving in the armed forces or working in the factories in the mid 1940s.

Nah friend. The Silent generation are those born after 1925(?) while the greatest are those born between 25-14 or something like that. Basically the silent generation is composed of all those too young to serve in WWII but too old to have been born to those who did.

E:

It's all made up nonsense but if we're going to adhere to the made up nonsense the Silent Generation is a thing.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 16, 2018

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The greatest generation birthed the Baby boomers but the Silent generation falls between the two on a chronological timeline. Why are we talking about this again?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Made a Tater Tot Lasagna last night. Turned out alright but I went overly conservative in terms of spicing the sauce. It was good, still I don't think I'm going to turn it into a staple recipe. They're better dishes out there to conqueror.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
DOG CHAT!!!

- My dog refuses to drink water except from this bowl we keep outside. I think it's tricking him into believing it's rain water.

- He howls whenever my phone rings and once it's stopped ringing he goes into this 30 second cooldown period of grunts and coos.

- When he feels as though it's been too long since his last walk this dog begins to dance and sing to garner our attention.

- He requires pets and when he does not receive pets he takes his paw, throws it on your shoulder and squeezes to show how pets are supposed to go.

- Whenever he eats something particularly delicious he gets this head tremor that creeps me right the hell out.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

Someone got hired because they knew someone, or were already in line for a promotion, and the entire exercise of listing the job and collecting resumes was just performance art to comply with regulations.

I work for city government and yeah, that's about right.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
^^^ That looks good.

I can't imagine a reason to drink to drink Budweiser or Miller. If you just want to get drunk we have natty light, busch and all the other water beers. If you want something cheap to sip on there's yuengling, blue moon, etc. The only people I know who drink bud have doing so since they're were 14 and have zero interest in expanding their horizons in any area of life.

IPAs are overdone but can be good. I'm liking the turn towards sours the market has taken. (If you're in Portland check out Great Notion) It's still hard to find good red ales which is probably my fave. @my snob rear end all you want #bougielife

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Intruder posted:

I love the hell out of barleywines

Do you like them more sweet or bitter?
Barlewines sort of remind me of American Wild Ales in that there are so many different things you can do with those styles that I don't know what kind of flavors I'll be getting with those beers, I just know the flavors will be strong as hell.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

this (Sorry Chicky) is straight up the best beer I have ever had btw

This is the first time I'm feeling beer envy since moving to the PNW.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Last of the Mohicans? Don't get me wrong it was okay but, how does that even approach a deal breaker?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My buddy is a head brewer in NC, Fullsteam represent, and he's been obsessed with working for Ommegang for the better part of a decade. They make great beer and treat their brewers like human beings. This is somewhat rare in the industry.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
He never says no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah man, it sort of does. Get reading The Dispossessed posthaste.