Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i just finished watching this, having known almost nothing of devilman prior

i definitely liked it but also this was so upsettingly bleak that i'm not entirely sure how i feel about it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the way taro's dad keeps going back and forth or whether or not he should kill his son was so painful to watch

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Whenever I hear about poo poo that was added and wasn't in the Manga I always go "drat that was one of my favorite parts"

I mean Taro eating his mom wasn't in the manga? And neither was miko?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

the anime is bloated compared to the manga

that sounds like a pretty bare bones manga then

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think darth walrus put it best earlier that the show is about how love is simultaneously what makes us beautiful and weak, and that's kinda the reason behind the huge downer ending. miki going online to defend akira and encourage other devilmen to speak out was beautiful, but also led directly to her and their deaths. ryo doesn't realize he has any love until after akira is already dead, so he wins and obliterates humanity before realizing his love for akira, which leads to his immense anguish after the fact.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i knew devilman existed as "an old very influential manga with an OVA that had a pretty funny dub" before crybaby

it was one of thsoe things where i'd have liked to check it out, but never really felt any need to over other things i could spend my time on. the fact that no one talked about it pretty much ever until crybaby was probably a big factor in that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I know Ryo/akira was always super gay but wasn't pretty much all the rest of the gay stuff added by crybaby?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

literally every romantic relationship in crybaby is gay

if someone got mad about crybaby killing off all the gays i'd be real annoyed with them because the only reason the gays die is because everyone is gay, and someone has to die

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think the idea that miko saying "i love you" to miki before miki mounts miko and the two of them ride off into the distance wasn't an expression of romantic love to be absolutely absurd

miko can be gay, bi, trans, whatever, that was very clearly not a scene between two purely platonic friends and it baffles me that other people come out of that scene reading otherwise

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i get that it's kinda weird that people keep calling a character that fucks a dude onscreen "gay" instead of "bi" but i don't think that's the part of what you've had to say that anyone really actually takes offense to or cares about dude

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You can certainly interpret it that way, but the apocalypse is not a romantic setting.

i didn't realize that "i love you" only carries romantic meaning if it's in the context of a candlelit dinner

"lets run off together as i sacrifice my wellbeing to save your life" seems pretty romantic enough to me though!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess the core problem may be the assumption that romance is exclusively sexual. Miko doesn't show any kind of sexual attraction to Miki and never thinks about her sexually, or vise versa, but that also doesn't mean that there isn't any possibility of romantic feeling.

no one cares about your reading of the show being asexual. whether "they're gay" is a shorthand for "they are a same-sex couple that want to be romantically involved" or "they are a same-sex couple that want to be romantically involved and also mash clams" isn't really important to the actual offense people are taking, which is that you're saying "they're not gay, they neither want to mash clams nor be romantically involved. they're clearly just friends."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

did you read any part of my post after the first sentence

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yes, like i said, "that's not a romantic relationship" is the actual issue people have. "it's not purely sexual" or "it's bi, not gay" or "it's trans" are all weird side-conversations that are tangentially related to what people are actually angry at you for, and you're conflating disagreement or response to one of these conversations as being about all these conversations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean if people actually have issues with those aspects of your arguments i don't exactly want to be speaking for everyone else in the thread but it seems to me like there isn't anything particularly offensive about those concepts themselves

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

whatever your reading, it's really blatant that miko desires a relationship with miki at the end that goes beyond platonic friendship. is this a statement anyone disagrees with?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You really need to be more specific. The only same sex relationship with romantic undertones is Akira and Ryo's, and the only reason it never becomes explicit text is because Ryo doesn't believe in love. Then again this is all besides the point, who is or isn't gay doesn't matter because the central thesis is a universalized Christian influenced form of love.

Hey this is the post that's actually offensive.

I can't believe that you participated in the conversation about whether daisuki can refer to platonic love or not and still can't figure out that that's what's offensive about what you've said. People are mad that you saw two people with vaginas say "I love you" and your response was "people who think they're more than friends are overreading"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I didn't say people who think they're more than friends are overreading, I said basing that on an admission of love is.

even if that point wasn't loving stupid, i literally just quoted you saying "The only same sex relationship with romantic undertones is Akira and Ryo's" in the post you are responding to. i don't understand if you're willfully ignoring half my posts or what.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What's offensive to people is the notion that their assumptions are questionable, even to the point of denying sexuality. There's no reason to get mad about an alternative reading.

actually, i think that it's more "in this specific case, the theory you are putting forward that these two characters have nonplatonic feelings for each other is really dumb."

people can disagree with you about that, to the point of thinking you're a loving moron for thinking that, without it being "my assumptions can not be questioned"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

has imagawa done anything recent

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What exactly is the overall reception of crybaby in japan? Sounds like generally positive but reading about that dude makes me wonder if there's any notable differences in reception compared to here

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

will the bluray come with updated animation? obviously there's no censoring to remove

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this thread was pretty good until someone said "miko is only platonically interested in miki" imo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

I tell my close friends I love them all the time. Doesn't mean I want to have a romantic relationship with all of them. There's alot of different types of love.

just because they did not mash clams on screen doesn't mean they're not gay

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

While devil man is certainly a downer I don't think "nothing at all mattered" is really the point. In the end the struggles that the "good guys" went through didn't stop satan, but the point was that they were still valuable and worthwhile. Miki encouraging devilmen to come out and make themselves known was beautiful, and the courage those devilmen showed in announcing their presence was admirable, even as that announcement led to mobs immediately being formed on their doorsteps.

It's something where the value of that is meant to be more self evident I think though. From a standpoint of pure practicality, there wasn't any reason for them to do that and it actively led to their demise for no physical gain. But just because it wasn't the perfectly pragmatic choice doesn't mean that it wasn't worth doing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

In what way? The demons say humans are all scum who deserve to die, the humans then act like scum who deserve to die, the hero calls the humans scum who deserve to die. I'm not seeing where power is entering into this.

The humans who are scum that deserve to die killed all the humans who are not scum and did not deserve to die. Those humans who are not scum existed, were beautiful and courageous in the face of utter annihilation, and that is what made them the heroes. They lost, but the fact that they fought against the scum and were good people despite their defeat being assured makes their efforts more valuable, not less, because they managed to be good people even though there was no logical reason to. Imagine how humanity would have acted if being a good person had more practical benefits, if good people still exist when there's no reason for them to be good

Tuxedo catfish made an excellent post earlier in the thread that I'm mostly reiterating, lemme find it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

okay so there are two points to the Book of Job

one is that the reasons for suffering and the universe being the way it is are ultimately beyond our comprehension because we simply don't have the perspective to get the big picture

the other is that Job persists in criticizing God even while maintaining his faith; his idiot friends insist that bad things only happen to those who deserve them and that Job must have hosed up somehow to earn God's wrath, but God comes down and explicitly says they're wrong, that Job was correct in saying that pain and suffering are inflicted even on the innocent, and that he committed no blasphemy by complaining about this, but nonetheless he's just a mortal dude and see point #1

it's a fantastic piece of literature and an important cultural touchstone for Jews and Christians with respect to reconciling faith in God with the reality of injustice and suffering (also, notably, Job lives a long, healthy, and happy life by the end)

Devilman Crybaby deals with similar themes except that instead of attempting to apologize for God's behavior, it's more about apologizing for mankind's; we're basically trapped in a situation where cruelty and power and hunger is the easy way out, where it's only natural to live like a beast, but some people choose not to anyways -- basically prompting the question "if the scale we were measured on was already this biased towards selfishness and evil, what does it say about human nature that any of us managed to be good at all?"

to make that point effectively it kind of has to end with "and then everyone dies" -- because the idea is that doing the right thing even if it does make you weak, even if it kills you, is noble and beautiful and gently caress God and nature for creating such an insidious acid test for us in the first place

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think the takeaway from what happened to miki is "this was a failure"

Seems to me more like "miki was a success, if only there were more mikis"

"This was all pointless" isn't really a statement made by the show's dramatic framing, events are clearly important and impactful so I think any point the show is making about these events would consider these events to be significant

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

The ending of that scene is a bunch of people parading around with dismembered pieces of miki's body on sticks. This is the same kind of framing G.R.R.M. used in ASOIAF after the Red Wedding where Rob's body was sewn to his wolf's head and paraded around. The kind of message that framing sends is of the character getting thoroughly and completely owned. That both scenes are the culmination of a naive character being swallowed up by the cruelty of the world is no coincidence.

I saw it as more of a "jesus on the cross" kind of thing, except that miki's death was less a "she died for mankind" and more "she died because she was too good for mankind" kind of thing. She wasn't naive, she knew exactly what the consequences of her actions would be, she literally watched it happen to others in real time and sent them encouragement as lynch mobs formed on their doorsteps. Her death signifies that humanity is now too far gone to be worth saving, not that it never was

I'm also Jewish though so don't take the jesus thing too seriously from me, I only half know what I'm talking about there

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i thought there was visual implication of the cycle in the acidtrip image flurries from the beginning of the show or something, but i might be thinking of it just showing satan's previous defeat

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would be interested in hearing what really happens in revelations because i really have no clue

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

3) This isn't really a question so much as a comment. I liked the show a lot, and short animes like this tend to be really tight, but I was confused as to the point of Miko and Koda. Miko never gets beyond "mad at other girl for being better at running, then in the 2nd-to-last episode (but also likes her)". Then she dies. Koda has the whole death of his boyfriend, then he gets a little restless staying at Akira's hideout and says gently caress it, I'll just be a demon to survive? Then he dies. I feel like there was some additional elaboration on these two that was missing. But maybe I am not understanding something. I really liked Miko's snapdragons turning into little skulls when they dried up (something snapdragons actually do).

imo miko and koda mostly show the two possible paths a devilman can take. miko is crazy vain and petty and that's her primary motivation until she realizes that there's someone she loves, while koda lost his love and thus succumbed to base temptation and a desire to just be on the "winning" side.

akira is a devilman who had love in him all along. miko is a devilman who discovered love. koda is a devilman who lost love.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

by saying that the God of the Old Testament is evil you're condemning the whole Jewish religion

i can't say i agree with this, "god is beyond our comprehension but frequently appears to be kind of a dick and we should absolutely look at some of the weird questionable stuff he does in detail, and ask 'hey, why is it ok for god to do this?'" is pretty foundational to my understanding of judaism. "hey, why is it ok for god to do this?" being a question that is ok to ask implies that "hey, it isn't ok for god to do this" is at least a somewhat valid conclusion to come to (though hopefully you won't)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Old Testament G-Dawg seems like an rear end in a top hat to me, tbh. Does that makes me anti-semitic?

when i was in middle school/high school that was my take on god and i consider myself at least vaguely jewish so i'd say probably not

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I haven’t watched this show, is it good y/n

y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eh. They both have a similar tone, but LISA is like 90% about abusive parents and the cycle of abuse, which isn't really in crybaby at all, so I dunno how much else there is to compare thematically. Both being very dark tragedies that are also quite funny is about where that comparison begins and ends, and even then LISA is way more about the comedy than crybaby.

• Locked thread