Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Hello friends. I am starting my job search in earnest today. Please wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

qhat posted:

Screening resumes today. One of them had the janky LaTeX font and immediately went into the selected pile. Thank the good lord for the gross and ugly LaTeX font helping me screen candidates.

I'm glad my resume finds you in good health.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Had a phone interview today. It went okay? I think the company is neat so hopefully they bring me in for an interview. I guess worst case scenario it's good practice for the next one.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

So this phone interview has turned into a real one. What's the best way to learn algorithms in a week?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

Invent a time machine and take a class on it. Or power through a book on them.

I figured this would be the case. I have an EE degree so my classes were more focused on janitoring individual bits. Gonna be a busy week!

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

i know how you feel, my undergrad was EE too

interview questions are almost always binary trees, but sometimes some super cs degree haver will make you write down a*. you can get pretty far by just thinking about how an embedded dev would do it <problem> in as little memory as possible. just don't let cs jargon spook you, and if the cs jargoners won't explain their jargon when you ask, interpret it as a bad smell and don't judge yourself for 'failing' to read some dumbass bs cs's mind

edit: oh and i bookmarked this a while back but i haven't used it, it might help as a refresher

Thanks for the pep talk, framing it in terms of embedded stuff seems like it will be helpful. I appreciate the link, I'll check that out.

Arcsech posted:

I ran into binary search a lot too

This would be cool for me because binary search is essentially how I understand run times of log(n) in general.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Had my interview today, I think it went pretty well. I spent most of the last week reading as much of the CLRS algorithms book as I could and doing lots of problems from cracking the coding interview and on hackerrank, so thanks for those recommendations. Now we play the waiting game.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

ADINSX posted:

Congrats... I'm playing that waiting game now and its the worst loving part.

See you in the land of milk and figgies :cheers:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I got an email today wanting to set up a phone screen for a position I applied for three months ago. Can you hire anyone operating with that kind of turnaround time? In any case it felt real good to send a 'sorry pal I took another job in September' email.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

god drat i am so hyped for the sequel to Ciaphas where he gets that Good Job and those good Good Bennies

rooting for you so drat hard rn

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I was under the impression that asking for references (let alone actually calling them) had fallen out of favor, is that not the case?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

ended up quitting mine today

overall it was the best thing i could do, i simply ran out of time

it's for the best in the long run but in the short run i'm scared completely to death already

Good luck friend I believe in you

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

nbsd wouldn't be proud of how hard i managed to negotiate myself out of some figgies, but

:yotj: 100k, may 13, movin' to boulder, CO assuming that meets my current place's 60d requirement :yotj:

:yotj: Congrats!

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

gonadic io posted:

I have no idea. I'm a white cishet dude with a compsci undergrad, so it can't be any of the usual culprits

Sounds like your beard isn't big enough

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Kilometres Davis posted:

How loving good does it feel to be served up a problem you've already practiced though?

Spend a couple nights on hacker rank or code kata or whatever a month and your odds of looking like a guru next year go way up.

I had an interview where the main tech test was straight out of the Stanford CS interview practice sheets

drat this feels like a pretty tidy encapsulation of a lot of tech's hiring problems and class mobility more generally

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

supabump posted:

today i interviewed a college hire with a section on their resume titled "skills and interests" followed by an unorganized list of words

are you skilled in machine learning or is it just an interest? nobody knows but it obviously worked on the recruiter

Nice. Gonna add "Experience and Aspirations" to mine. Lots of callbacks headed my way next round

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

FMguru posted:

gently caress 'em up, captain

Agreed

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Start the call off with a diatribe about how figgies are a logarithmic scale and they better be showing up with a p. deece 6.5

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah good point. the list is now:

* family stuff
* personal stuff
* butt stuff

Is this really the appropriate time to list your fetishes?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

TimWinter posted:

I interviewed someone today who asked me, rapid fire, questions about our testing stack and then retracted his offer mid interview. His reason was "your stack isn't wrong, but it's more trouble than it's worth to maintain".

I've never been so owned interviewing someone in my life.

I should have done this because our testing is loving abominable

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

... suck my dick gently caress this bitch?

I think the kids say from the back these days

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

iospace posted:

Remember: discussing pay and benefits in the US (and likely elsewhere) with your coworkers is 100% legal, and if HR gives you pushback, tell them that is a "protected employee action".

At my last job every year during bonus season they would give you a letter talking about how details of your compensation were confidential and that we were not to share that info. Before I left I dropped a tip in my departments anonymous feedback form citing the national labor relations act of 1935 letting them know that salary discussion was protected speech. This apparently escalated in a public way all the way to headquarters and the CEO, who wanted to know who left that tip. They no longer give out that letter with your bonus.

I also heard through the grapevine that a bunch of the newer hires at the headquarters passed around a spreadsheet with all of their salary and bonus information, and a lot of 3-5 year people found out they were making as much as the new grads. Management is way pissed off about this but can do nothing about it and a ton of young people are asking for more money. :unsmith:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

LaCroixy mate

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

qirex posted:

since I'm not a developer most of my time is "behavioral" questions when I interview, it's a good chance to ask them about their teams and process and look for red flags. also many people will think you're a great candidate if you ask 2 good questions then nod and say platitudes like "I've been there" while they talk about themselves for the whole 30 minute slot

I've been there

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

When I was looking to make the switch to computer touching, I applied to a position at a manufacturing analytics company. The CEO then reached out to me on LinkedIn and asked me to take a personality assessment. The results must have been pretty bad (personality type: :siren: YOSPOSTER :siren:), because I never got so much as a "sorry, we've decided to go in another direction" from them after that

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

elite_garbage_man posted:

Try not to take interviewing too personally.

You probably did better than you think, but something outside of your control happened. poo poo, the CEO probably just dropped the ball.

Oh, I'm not worried about it - not least because I don't think the tests mean anything. Mostly it was just a joke that the results were so bad he thought it best not to contact me again after going to the trouble to reach out through a medium that wasn't on my resume and start the process. In reality I'm sure this

JawnV6 posted:

the outputs of a hiring process are not correlated to the inputs this strongly

is the real answer

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

qhat posted:

do not bother with masters degrees unless you plan on getting a phd or you plan on applying for jobs abroad

I thought that in the US it was typical to go straight from undergrad to a PhD program

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

it is, but you get a masters on the way. a lot of people also use a terminal masters to get into a PhD program that's better than what they could've got into straight out of undergrad. in that case they end up with two masters

Good to know, I thought the masters along the way was a consolation prize if you left the program after 2+ years. Maybe that depends on the field

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Ferr posted:

I ended up with a phone screen for a job I'm under-qualified for and I can't decide if I should cancel and save the time or try to summon my mediocre white man energy

If you aren't stealing from your job you're stealing from your family

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

May I recommend the bloody maneuver?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

barkbell posted:

took new job ty goons

:yotj:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

That's why you get the stud fee up front

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I'm done, it went pretty alright. I might actually have 2 job offers soon!

Make them fight

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

When it comes to negotiation there are two diametrically opposed schools of thought

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i was going to have an in-person interview today. the recruiter hit me up last week and pried a ton trying to get me to give up a number. i was steadfast in that i wanted to have that conversation with the employer directly. this weekend he sent an email reminding me about today’s interview and that he volunteered a target salary for me. i told him he could cancel the interview because i wasn’t going to deal with that bullshit.

gently caress around and find out

:owned:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

lmao that’s definitely a bot

Are you sure? It seems really unlikely that they'd name a robot to the list of top thirty CEOs :thunk:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

theres a github user that is a microsoft bot and it apparently gets more recruiter emails than most of their employees lmao

:laffo:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Just had a phone interview with a company that saw my 1.5 years of development experience and thought I would be a fit for a senior software engineer. It went well and they're moving me on to step two. Keep your fingers crossed for me because this would nearly double the ol salary

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

3rd party recruiters are incentivized to get people hired at the lowest possible salary, right? I just had a tech screen that went well. The recruiter texted me afterwards and was super pushy about my current base salary, even after I said that based on the responsibilities of the position it wouldn't be worth it to me to switch for less than $number.

I guess mostly I'm curious how they structure their business. I assume they're given a target range from the company and when they place someone they get a flat commission plus a fraction of how much lower they get the candidate compared to the target range. Is that roughly correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

That all tracks, thank you