Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

so what does “we are growing quickly” truly mean and how come companies like to overextend themselves so much?

they're increasing profits by not giving their employees a good quality of life. they overextend because it suckers in people who don't have a wealth of knowledge of technology corporate doublespeak to ask like the 'pos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

how the gently caress do you write a resume these days? like, what even do you put on it? I don't even know what people are looking for in the way of bonus experience etc

I just read my manager's assessment of me ahead of my year end review and despite feeling real fuckin good about myself right up until 15 minutes ago I'm now thinking it's time to look elsewhere but I haven't put together a resume since college

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rad, thanks folks. actual review went alright but if they don't come through on the figgies I'm going to start shopping myself around. that kind of spike in stress isn't worth not getting the dosh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c not quite interviewing s: if you are in canada and are a datacenter/network toucher I need someone to replace one of the worst coworkers I've ever had

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

so, almost a decade into my career I've realized something: I have no idea how to write a cover letter

there's a couple positions I'm looking at applying for just to see what happens (they'd both be massive salary bumps, though one would involve moving to europe and doing esports backend poo poo) but they both want cover letters. I don't even know what you put on one, I've never needed to. wtf does a cover letter for a tech job (network engineering) even look like?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

put in that application for that job in the EU that I was looking at

time for weeks of anxiety

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CPColin posted:

I still put "the" before freeway numbers, if that helps

is that a regional thing? we do the same in Vancouver (eg. the 91, the 99, the 17, though notable exceptions are "the number X" or just "highway X" for numbers under 10) and I've always just found it natural sounding

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it sounds like enough money to spend a couple years there and then retire to the sticks and get someone to run fibre to your cabin, which if your primary concern is comfort for the next ten years or however long you believe humanity has left, should be enough for you

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Not a Children posted:

one page rule is less hard and fast now that most resumes are reviewed on the computer. definitely write your resume as if someone is only seeing the first page. I have mine set up that all my experience and certs are on page 1 and all the skills/education are page 2. works a charm.

e: I saw a 7 page resume the other day. don’t do that

if I saw a 7 page resume my first thought would be that the person in question bounces between jobs every four to six months wtf

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lord fifth posted:

surely there cannot be more than one comically evil company named for an item from jrr tolkien's the lord of the rings series

there are in fact myriad

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

feedmegin posted:

OK Mr Trice let's see how you do, then *fires up IRIX box*

i'll take six

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i would like a new job where i am paid large amounts of money to nap and snack all day while doing no work. please advise how to interview for this role

position yourself as an “individual contributor”

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

good top energy, but not the kind of motherfucker you'd want in your back walls by a long shot

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my last couple "nope sorry" had no feedback and I would at least have accepted a simple "we're hiring someone who already has EU citizenship instead of needing a visa" or similar

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my newjob is a customer of my oldjob. I'm willing to bet that's the reason I went from initial phone interview to job offer in 72 hours flat

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

90% of linked list questions could probably be answered with "there's several more efficient ways to do this than a linked list"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

wrap it in a union { uintptr_t u; void* p; } to really gently caress with them

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

san deez sounds rad, grats on getting a job in a warm figgieland

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

post hole digger posted:

we got a big ol bloated java web app using kafka postgres scylla redis and cassandra :shepface: thank god i dont gotta touch that thing

I'm going to edge in on ellie's territory for a moment to recommend that you fake your death and move to belize

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rotor posted:

its been said many times, but it bears repeating: dont make your first interiew in years be for a job you really want. For your first interviews, you should be applying to jobs you have no intention of taking. Of course, this only works in a job-rich environment like the bayarrhea or east cost or seattle or whatever so if you're not there, idk, do your best idk

that or have four leaf clovers coming out your rear end and get a job offer thirty minutes after the interview

I think I burned one of my extra lives on that one

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the actual interview I had for my new job was super relaxed, though I was stress-vomiting concerned at home beforehand. which is pretty silly in retrospect because I had barely gotten home and parked after the interview before the manager called me to offer me the job

sometimes you just nail these things I guess

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

"we regret to inform you that the position you applied for has been closed due to unforeseen circumstances" was one of the ones I got when job hunting a couple months back that made me think, wow, gently caress you too. it's not like suddenly there was downsizing, because it was a drat municipal government job in an extremely fast growing city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

the boomer whose job opened up when he retired decided he'd like to stay on for a few more years

my guess was either that or they internally promoted someone into the role yeah