Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

No, London has an economy that's not based around house trading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The Fool posted:

there was a big list of questions to ask at an interview floating around, anyone have it handy?

I have my own list but want to check it for things that I've missed

Not sure if you have the luxury to be picky, but if you do the Joel test is classic.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Does anyone ITT hire developers? I'm a non traditional looking for a new opportunity and want to get into the US market on a TN visa and am looking for some feedback.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

Where are you from and why would you ever want to go to the US?

What does non traditional mean? Self taught?

Canada. US jobs seem to pay 2-3x as much after currency conversion and living expense adjustment. It's just too crazy and I'm sick of the housing market here. I'm a combination of partially completed comp sci, boot camp / self taught, and LL.B./JD with 10+ years work experience as a lawyer. I've been writing software for the past 3 years and really increased my intensity in particular the last year. We had a chat last year-- I wouldn't mind having another catch up.

PCjr sidecar posted:

TN has some educational requirements that might be difficult to meet as a non-traditional.

I should rephrase that I don't care which visa I should attempt to get-- broadly I want to find opportunities outside of Canada, and the US is one place I would consider going. I do have a degree, just not a stem degree. Does that open the door a crack?

The message I'm hearing most is go work for a multinational and then do a transfer but I don't think I can go back to an Office Space kind of culture.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

If you're just starting out I wouldn't recommend leetcode as it's really geared more to applying CS to finding optimal solutions.

Something like CS50 or the lighthouse 21 day coding challenge might be better if you're just starting out.

I think you'd be a really good candidate to take a boot camp actually, especially if you're able to take a part time one on evenings or weekends and keep your job.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Apply now and negotiate start date once you get to the offier stage. Everything has a price, including your price to break your commitments.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not really interviewing cause I just started a new job last month, but an internal recruiter cold contacted me at my personal email. I agreed to take an exploratory call because always be interviewing, and the idiot sends the calendar invite to my work email. How do these people even get jobs?

On a related note, I've noticed that my work email addresses have somehow made it into some sort of profile on me. The above idiot cced me at my unlisted current work email, former work email, and unlisted Gmail. I haven't used any of those 3 emails in any public profile so I'm not sure how they all got connected to me.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Never ever ever use your work email for job hunts. The recruiter was being a knob and a half but jeez why even give them half a chance to do something that hosed up?

Also:

I didn't. He cold emailed me at my personal email, then he sent the calendar invite to my unlisted work email that he somehow guessed. Basically he had to work to get it wrong.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I just had a screening call with Mindgeek for a PHP dev position and HR said "I can't tell you what my ranges are cause then you'll just ask for whatever whereas the offer should be based on what you're currently making" lol

I convinced her to send me the take home assignment without giving a number.

What is Mindgeek currently paying for 3-5 yoe though? Glassdoor says average $75k with outliers at $110k which seems way low to me. Anyone have first hand knowledge?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

$75k to $110k doesn't seem that insane for montreal to me. i work in vancouver and that seems like what's available outside of FAANG poo poo

Are you in the Vancouver Goon discord? Love to chat more about market.

I'm also in Vancouver, making $90k as an intermediate dev.

My friends at Lululemon are making $140k TC now, 5 yoe.
My friends at MS were making $130k 3 years ago, 5+ yoe.

I would expect a company at the complexity of Mindgeek to pay similarly to Lululemon, regardless of tech stack.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I work closely with Workday as an integrations partner and none of that poo poo is surprising at all.

The taxable benefits thing is understandable though. Even if you are paying the tax on the $150 pet or whatever, you are still being partially subsidized so still come out ahead.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm a boot camp grad and make more than that with 1 year experience fully remote for a Victoria company.

My friends with 6 years experience are making around $160k TC, so you should too

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Quackles posted:

Wait, you make how much in Victoria? Doing what? I was under the impression wages for programmers, at least, were depressed there.

I'm a Python dev. In my last round of job hunting I was in the final rounds of interviews with several companies that all were interested in hiring at the $80-90k range for someone with my capabilities and experience.

I think inflation has been much higher than reported officially. Go make hay while the sun is shining.

In fact I think I left money on the table because they offered $85k and I asked for $90k and they said yes immediately. Oh well.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

i put probably less than 10% thought into handing out the sixer than you did into making this post, it was literally just “ew what a gross word lol they’re getting their rap sheet stained for it”

It's always projection.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I quit being a lawyer because it was non challenging and now I am a puter toucher. I also like the micro challenge of writing code. The worst parts of the job are having to interface with systems you don't control, like with Workday's API. Otherwise find a company that cares about writing good code and it's all good.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

https://imgur.com/a/fzT7Ug6

Lol this company going so hard on hiding their salary bands that they exclude candidates from Colorado.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

What do I do if the impact I make is hard to quantify? Like doing a big refactor to simplify an interface and make it impossible to use wrong where it used to require the caller to go along manually satisfying all of the prerequisite state?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone have experience working at Gusto or with Gusto as a partner? I have an "onsite" with them tomorrow. What does the goonhive mind know about the company?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

echinopsis posted:

idk, honestly I am clueless. but I have no formal computer education or job experience. I assume (hope) that being a pharmacist probably informs someone that I have some level of capacity for competency at least.

It could well be a long time before a job like a product owner comes up that my experience could be a benefit, because outside of that, how would I enter the scene.

I am prepared to put time and effort into some form
of education or boot camp or whatever, to prove to someone I can do it. I know I “get” computers enough but idk how to convince someone of that.

That's why I did a boot camp instead of going the self-taught route. Much easier to get callbacks when you have a credential, even if it is a bootcamp. Along the way I also learned some things that I wouldn't have learned being self-taught, like how to develop software in a team.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Wtf? I would love that type of interview. It would be a great way to figure out what it's like to work with the interviews.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I can't find his thread, but these are some changes in the style of resume goon guy Parahexasomething? I recommend working with him to polish it off but this is the kind of thing he is good at.

quote:

Advisory Software Developer, IBM; Rochester, MN — 2022–Present
Designed, developed and socialized new features for migration tools; modernized complex environments. Demonstrated new tool features to public and clients in virtual presentations; gathered user feedback. Resolved client support cases; mentored team members.
Optimized build and test infrastructure; automated provisioning using Ansible. Cut tool build times in half.

Staff Software Developer, IBM; Rochester, MN — 2018-2021
Designed and developed graphical user interface for cloud migration wizard. Proposed capability of saving and resuming cloud migrations based on wizard flow. Architected, prototyped and delivered application migration tool. Automated translation of application migration tools from Konveyor to Open Liberty. Supported clients. Mentored teammates in git and Salesforce.

Software Developer, IBM; Rochester, MN — 2014-2017
Delivered clone migration during major version release; enabled zero-downtime version upgrades for WebSphere. Developed UI for clone migration for distributed platforms and z/OS; created JCL job templates. Diagnosed and resolved client issues; assisted team members.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Juul-Whip posted:

cover letters don't matter right? my bf is spending a lot of time on his cover letter. trying to convince him the time is better spent on the resume or interview prep

I think it's worth spending time to write "categories" of cover letter. I have two categories of cover letter, one for privacy engineering roles and one for software engineering roles. It takes me 2 mins to swap out the company names in the letter for an application.

I don't think it's worth time spending a lot of time on one cover letter for a specific role unless you really want to work at that company and your writing skills are better than geoffrey pontus terrance.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

One thing I've been experimenting with is saying that I'm more concerned about finding the right fit and I will think about salary later in the process. Then they usually say something like I want to make sure we're aligned so not wasting each other's time. I respond with I'm comfortable moving forward with the ambiguity because I really am interested in $this about the company but if that's a concern for you you can let me know the range for the role.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

also got offered to live and work on farms in japan for a month so guess i’ll attempting to negotiate a very late start date if I get an offer

Is this a thing where anyone can apply? I'm also attempting to negotiate a late start date or just quit my current job if I don't get an offer.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

CompeAnansi posted:

ISOs have to be exercised within three months of leaving the company. If the share price is that high then we're talking about thousands of dollars to take the gamble on the company if you leave before an exit. And let's be real, unless an exit is imminent, you'll probably leave before the exit. This means ISOs from startups that have a FMV that high are basically always useless unless you become a lifer and get lucky with them exiting eventually. I know this first hand.

My non-listed series B company offers ISO that expire 3 months of termination and the execs are out of their mind about about much they're worth as comp. However, if you have them it might be worth exercising 1 in order to get shareholder notification rights of exit opportunities other than at IPO. For example, there was a series B investor that wanted to increase their investment and an offer was made to existing shareholders to sell at the series B price (which was more than the strike price).

The option holders were not notified.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I remember reading a story about a woman being personally recruited by gaben to run some sort of VR (?) thing and after she joined, she was ignored/isolated by him (?) and got fired. Can't seem to find it online now.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

occluded posted:

hey fig thread

i finished a bootcamp thing in feb (full stack webdev, a pretty comprehensive one with good reviews for what that's worth) and I'm doing the interview tango for the first time in ever, seeing as i've been a freelance film industry guy up until now. Just got rejected from what would have been an amazing job (small software company, interesting projects, local to me in Cornwall, UK) so I'm feeling kind of lovely as now everything else is either 1) in London, gently caress commuting for 4+ hours a few days a week or 2) remote, so I'm competing with every other dev in the country.

I don't think I expect words of encouragement from yospos but perhaps you could all tell me that i'm hosed, but maybe not quite as hosed as I worry?

My company has an office in Cardiff and we do hire at the intern/coop/jr level. We are also fully remote.

Some of my coworkers will be at a beginner coding workshop they are sponsoring on April 9. It would be a great networking event for someone at your level. If you'd like more info, send me a DM so I don't dox myself.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

If you're working primarily on developer tools you're not directly contributing to the bottom line and that makes it easy to justify cutting your position. Go for it if you want, but just be aware that that's a potential issue.

I ran into this in my current job, but in a slightly different form. Instead of developer tools, it really was more of being on a team that was responsible for paying off tech debt to get us away from some unscalable patterns. It was really rewarding work, but could not be directly tied to revenue or product features.

I asked my team lead at the time how the business value of my work could be quantified when it couldn't be tied to KPIs and he said he trusted his director. I was skeptical but it seemed to be going ok until the director quit ahead of almost all of his entire reporting structure getting laid off.

I enjoyed the work, but it can be career limiting.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

If the equity is in the form of options, take a careful look at the conditions on expiry. I've had 3 offers with options now, and all 3 had a clause that options expire 90 days after leaving the company, whether or not it is your choice.

That means if if your options are not in the money OR if your equity is not publicly traded, they either become worthless or you need to pay the strike price out of pocket in order to keep your vested equity (and pray for an exit).

For this reason, I value options at $0.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I don't even understand the rationale behind making the options worthless by having a 90 day expiry, from the perspective of the company. If employees KNOW that the options are worthless, then they aren't a motivator so why go through the admin overhead of offering them at all?

I could see a 90 day expiry if the employee chooses to leave early, but having the options expire when the employee is terminated makes them super worthless because the employee loses control.

I raised this publicly in our team Slack and the general counsel straight up said "We want to reward those that stick around until the end" as if those people that arbitrarily lasted until exit were the only ones that should be rewarded. It feels like companies are just preying on a financial literacy gap.

e: I believe offering worthless options as a motivator actually has the opposite effect on financially literate people. It demotivates them because they see it as disrespectful to offer hollow gestures.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

A friend and former coworker/classmate who's a senior-ish guy at a privately owned company with less than 50 people (not a startup, not trying to go public, has been around a while and actually makes a profit, not based in figgie land though) let me know they were hiring and I ultimately got the job and accepted last week. I'm taking a slight pay cut but I'm leaving a big tech job that I'm exhausted with and I already know from the people I interviewed with and my friend giving me unfiltered information on what it's like that I'm going to be so much happier at this new place.

Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into being more ok with taking a small pay cut but I feel like the environment at this new job is going to be a way better fit for me and with how much happier in general I expect I'll be that makes the ~10% cut in salary per year worth it.

I've worked at a similar type of company (lifestyle business, 50 people) in the past and it was the best dev experience I've ever had due the culture of growing slow and growing with the right cultural hires. I would 100% go back if they wanted me at 90% salary. Hope it works out for you!