Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I just purchased the 27B after much internal debate of it vs the 27. I like the extra damage and speed I can get out of it, though I think the 27 can be a bit tankier if you go full zombie build.
27: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=330&l=bcc63669877a5722976cb46d55fc2e08fec19c7a
27B: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=332&l=2fdec4cb6722ff38ae44995a0c70fe5bab329683

Thanks for this, swapping out the STD250 for the LE285 made a world of difference for me. As much as I like being able to totally zombie, the added mobility is more effective, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Vorenus posted:

I know I was gone for 2 years but this can't possibly be good advice.

I don't know if I'd advise buying one, but I still like my X5. Once they fixed the tubecount issue on the missile hardpoints it turned into a decent little skirmisher that's pretty capable of swooping in at the end game and dumping 12 srms into peoples' backs.

I mean yeah, there's obviously other mechs that do it better, and don't cost real money, but they aren't Cicadas.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

sebmojo posted:

They also have the social ecm effect of no-one considering them a threat, which is surprisingly powerful.

Plus, I mean... just look at ‘em! They’re trying so hard.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Uhhhhh I think I forgot to mention it here but if you were having trouble getting on the discord it's because I'm a dumbass and thought the verification bot was gonna come back at some point. I fixed it now so you should be able to get in and drop with goons if you want.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Parallelwoody posted:

Thanks! Anything else to know besides L to use the siren?

It, like other urbies, is surprisingly tanky. You obviously don't want to facetank an assault mech, but you don't get vaporized in a single volley like other lights, so don't be afraid to duke it out. K-9 is one of my favorite mechs lol.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah never forget in addition to twisting like a champ you can also spin 180 and shoot bad guys while you run straight back to your team. It's a tried and true method for getting some dummy in a piranha to overextend himself and get vaporized.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmao literally every bot I set up to help automate the discord immediately gets murdered. IDK if anyone is actually still trying to join the discord for this dumb dead game but if you do, once you get into the server just... idk PM me or something and I'll let you in. I'm the purple guy at the top.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MW5 puts me in a really weird place because basically anything that has 4 player co-op is like gold for my friend group. We'll play pretty much anything on game nights - hell, we even played all the way through Colonial Marines. But god drat if I don't have this feeling that PGI is gonna completely poo poo the bed on making it worthwhile. I love/d MWO, it was basically the only game I played for a while, but it's just... folks, it ain't good. Like fundamentally it's just not a good game, even if it is/was fun as hell.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

smooth jazz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXOKzPfWHDE

This was from Mechcon Dec 2018

The best part was the AI Marauder just milling about gettin' killed.

My god it's like they taught the AI to play by making it watch 400 hours of footage of me playing MWO

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Frocious posted:

Trying to join the discord, but getting an invite invalid error?

Anyway I just picked this up yesterday, got the Hellbringer up and rolling and thinking about the Victor for my second mech. DrBonertron in game

Here's an extra link just in case. They're set to never expire, etc but sometimes things get weird

https://discord.gg/fjvnrJ7

I'm in the process of replacing the bot that grants roles (because every time I pick one it goes offline forever like two weeks later lol) but you can always PM me or @me and I'll get you situated.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Also ignore all that poo poo I said about the role selection thing not working. I got off my dumb, fat, idiot, lazy, stupid rear end and fixed it. Agree to the rules, play robots with goons. It was all so obvious!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

picked up MW5 today and sunk a couple hours into it after finding out about the coupon. I gotta say for everything it lacks, it does a really good job of delivering on the "drive a big robot around and run a mercenary company in the Battletech setting" feel, which I guess I might be saying only because there's nothing else trying it right now (HBS's 'Battletech' nailed the management but sometimes I don't want to play a turn-based strat game).

Seems like a lot of the issues are things that can be patched out, so that's cool.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah it's definitely one of those games where the "Is it worth $XX.XX?" question is going to depend heavily on the person. I feel alright about it at $39.99 but I probably wouldn't start feeling comfortable recommending it until it either hits the $20.00 range or they make some major patches.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TK-42-1 posted:

that’s how i felt when i saw a trebuchet. i was thinking perfect i can stash one of the ai in the rear to take out all the vtol and l/srm carriers while i focus on mech but lol they just charge right the gently caress in under their minimum distance

I tried to do this the other night, and I actually got him to stay but then he got chewed apart by tanks and vtols that spawned behind him and bumrushed him =/

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Sarna's got you covered.

:edit: Holy poo poo I didn't realize that the wireframe "Image Enhancement" mode in MW2 was a reference to this.

I followed that through to the "torso cockpit" entry and I'm just laughing my butt off at the thought of a bunch of mech designers being like "but how can you have a cockpit that isn't in the head? How will the mechwarrior get in? This is IMPOSSIBLE!" until someone discovers the incredibly advanced lostech of "just put a door in the body, idiots"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Patrat posted:

Some years ago, overheating did not inflict any internal damage and I actually exploited this kind of thing with a six PPC Stalker. Basically I would climb to a ridgeline then fire twice into the CT of an approaching heavy mech, this could allow the destruction of a pristine Cataphract or something in literally four seconds. Then I would turbo overheat and my shut down mech would slide back down the slope out of sight after falling asleep. When it eventually woke back up this process could be repeated.

I still have a 4 erppc cicada kicking around somewhere in my garage based on this video lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgUzhO1TiAc

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bobcats posted:

MWO is still fun and I just take it for what it is, but will wonder to the end of time which is the true pubstar Cicada build:

(all XL300)

CDA-2A 6 MPL
CDA-2B 5 MPL
CDA-3M 4 MPL stealth

They’re all so precious :angel:

Black Lanner is meh- ECM head, mobility torsos, 4 MPL, 4 LMG. Sounds good but is a paper tiger because it’s a big boy and collects bullets.

Drop that engine size and put 4 erppcs in there

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tias posted:

Finally got through the tutorials and played my first match, netting an assist before my C-Warhawk went down shamefully in a barrage of lasers and gauss bolts :eng99:

2 questions:

The tutorial seems to make a big deal out of the need to twist and turn your torso continually, to deflect enemy fire towards expendable targets like arms and side torsos - how much is this necessary in combat? I get hella motion sickness trying to orient the mech another direction than what I'm going in and have to navigate by map alone, which leads me bumping into buildings and teammates a lot.

It's suggested in the OP that I 'buy' a certain mech, but when I pressed quickplay I just spawned in a warhawk assault mech. Do I get mechs for free, or do I just run the Warhawk as the initial one or what :confused:

Twisting is super important because it allows you to soak way more damage than you would otherwise. You're spreading that damage over three or four components with their own health pools instead of just the one. But it doesn't mean you just have to run everywhere sideways, you can either look for for mechs with a 'dead-side' (nothing important in one arm) and just turn that arm towards your enemies when they're shooting you, or you can look for some "pointy" mechs where you can spread damage just by kind of wiggling your head at them (IIRC the bushwacker was good at this but I might be wrong).

You'll start with trial mechs that are essentially loaners that you can pick between. Once you build up enough CBills to actually buy a mech, that'll stay in your stable full time and you can customize it and do whatever to it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I haven't played in approximately 10,000 years but Urbies have always been cool and sometimes good. The K9 is a beast but if I remember correctly they're all pretty tanky for a light, doubly so if you make use of the 360 degree torso twist.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

sebmojo posted:

Cicadas are the best, just dumb and ugly all the way through

Cicadas own, I forget which variant had the JJs but I remember when it got released it was impossibly stupid and I think it was the only mech I played for like a month lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

sinburger posted:

Cicadas are 50% right now, what was your build for the jump jet model?

Oh god I don't even remember, I think it came out in like 2015 or something. IIRC though it only had like 4 hardpoints and they were all energy so the general move was to slap some lasers and/or an ERPPC in there with an XL300 and a couple jump jets and run around like a maniac. It wasn't a spectacular mech but it was a flying cicada which was fun.

e: I have not played MWO in a very long time though so I have no idea how those weapons are today.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

something like this could work for a Cicada

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#d377d9ea_CDA-3F

That's eerily similar to a joke cicada build I used to run that was just 4 ERPPCs (except, y'know, the one you linked probably doesn't immediately explode the first time you shoot at someone lol)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cease to Hope posted:

I feel like if you're typing out a post saying that the word trans is banned, it might be time to reconsider whether pressing the post button is a good idea.

Yeah that was sort of my take on the whole thing like if you ever find yourself going down the "We banned you for your protection, if you say the 't word' our customers might harass you" road that's probably a good time to stop and re-evaluate.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah it seems like this has all been sort of a perfect storm of a GM that was out of their depth and made a bad call, followed by Russ getting defensive before he kinda knew what was going on. I know at least a couple 'notable' people have reached out to the CFO of EG7, who sources investment for PGI and a couple other companies, so I'm sure there was some top-down discussion.

I'm glad they reversed course, hopefully the people complaining about the fact that you can say "trans rights" without getting banned now will find some way to heal :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Word of Lbake makes me laugh so consistently that I worry something is wrong with my brain