Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KennyMan666 posted:

Nintendo 64 emulation isn't really at the point where you can properly compare a run done on emulator with one on hardware, would be the main issue there. As far as I know it's really only NES and SNES that have attained 100% accurate emulation currently.

Genesis (and CD and 32X), GB/GBC/SGB/GBA, Master System/Game Gear, Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx all are accurate enough for that too. GameCube and Wii are also extremely close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Former Human posted:

Yeah I'm using BizHawk (Mupen64 core) with GlideN64 and Glide64mk2 and there's still a lot of weird issues like water textures in Goldeneye.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't have the energy to screw with these things anymore. :corsair:

You need to use CEN64 or the MAME experimental N64 driver to get accurate emulation. The problem is you currently need absolute beasts of a machine to run either well and they're both still pretty incomplete.

Basically N64 emulation had a good 15 or so years where there was nobody seriously working on emulating the drat thing correctly, instead of hastily hacking together what amounted to individual patches for each game to make them work. But the CEN64 and MAME teams are each doing great work to get everything documented and implemented first, and THEN go back and try to make things run efficiently while still compatible.

Here's a video by some of the CEN64 devs if you want some serious background info on how they do it and why its different from before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvr6-6U0ck8

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is CEN64 still alive?

Yes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Maybe Twin Galaxies is ok with lying so much because so many of their former top staff were loving massive criminals like the 2 or 3 different dudes who used to be at TG and now ain't because of committing sex crimes against kids.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Groovelord Neato posted:

odd question but are there any "solved" games. as in the world record is impossible to beat by another human. maybe a stupid question since it always seems like when a game is solved someone finds some new glitch or tech to beat it but i assume via tas it can be determined.

Puzzle games where there's no randomization are probably solved. Like tasvideos just put up a TAS of boxxle 2 on the Game Boy, a game that's entirely sokoban puzzles and tiny text cutscenes every 10 stages or so. All the puzzles get solved with the best known solution in terms of moves and thus the best possible cuz moving tile to tile always takes the same time.

Obviously though, there isn't much of a competitive community around playing through a 3.5 hour perfect run for a game boy puzzle game.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Violently Car posted:

Don't emulators have different lag than console in GoldenEye?

That's not really relevant to how the in-game time ends up working, other than it makes it very hard to do anything like test up TAS inputs against the actual game/console to get verification in.

Nearly every technique shown to save time in a TAS on a level, has turned out to save the same time on the console when someone succeeds in nailing it. The rest of the techniques, no one's able to pull off consistently in real time yet. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Violently Car posted:

Doesn't the timer run pretty much real-time regardless of how laggy the game gets, which is why lag reduction strats are so important in real time runs? Since N64 emulation lags less than an actual console, you can get times not possible on hardware.

The timer runs inconsistently against real time, no matter in current emulators or on the real consoles. It's not even consistent across all of the versions of the game eg the NTSC/PAL/NTSC-Japan set.

There's also that the emulator can still lag regardless especially when you're using a more compatible one, it's all messy but for nearly every level it looks like you could be within the one-second game timer resolution by applying the TAS strats perfectly and thus have the same time as TAS. Trouble is a lot of those involve nailing a few frames perfectly at several different points in each second, for the whole level. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Modus Pwnens posted:

People keep saying "illegal substance" when it's pot. Pot. Who the gently caress cares about pot?

The answer to that question is not "people who watch video games on twitch" or "a cancer charity"

Uhhh I assure you both the cops and the charity care about it when its illegal in that state. Sure its legal 25 miles to the east in DC itself but that's not going to make the Virginia cops not mad lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Artic Puma posted:

I can't wait until doping becomes an issue in speed running. What drugs would be good for speed running, maybe beta blockers to help control nerves?

The Human Element

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pseudoscorpion posted:

...wasn't that how Twitch originally started? As Justin.tv?

Yep. They want all over to games in the twitch brand, reportedly, because they thought it would be easy to moderate that way versus streams of anything happening. Just look to see if there's a game on stream and its probably ok!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

McFrugal posted:

How about a category without item evolutions included at all? No waiting = good.

There's already an any% and it's 13 hours. And the run for just completing Disc 1 of the 2 discs is 5 and a half hours.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

McFrugal posted:

Oh, New Game is any%?

Yep, the rules are just:

- Timing starts when you select "New Game"
- Timing ends when the screen fades out after the fight against resurrected Geldoblame
- Any glitch you can achieve without external cheat codes is allowed
- Any NGC version can be used
- Runs are RTA, saving and loading in the run itself is allowed

That fight is basically the regular end of the game iirc, it triggers a credits roll after some standard JRPG "you've won but first here's some text and conversations to scroll through without meaningful choices" stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hobojim posted:

Current PB for Startropics is good enough for 25th place on the leaderboards, but I haven't been streaming or recording yet. It would have been top 20 if I hadn't stupidly jumped in a pit after killing a late-stage boss for absolutely no reason, but ah well. How do you submit a run to speedrun.com anyway? Just link a twitch VOD or recording?

Twitch vod link is good, separate YouTube upload on top is even better

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zamujasa posted:

The things you listed don't exist in a vacuum. Even if you can't directly influence an opponent, take gymnastics. You can see what the person before you is doing and decide to either go for something more consistent but less impressive, or go for something risky that might pay off.

Sports like swimming or running also usually lack random "oops you rolled a 1 on the die, so you get a 2 minute penalty :downs:" bullshit.

Screen looking works.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hobojim posted:

What's different from past GDQs? I didn't know they were changing up the format.

"GDQ Express" will be happening at TwitchCon in October and only take place over about 3 days. It doesn't replace the next scheduled AGDQ, it's its own thing kinda like the impromptu Harvey Relief Done Quick was. Only it doesn't have to be qhipped up out of the runners' own homes in a few days.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SeXReX posted:

He also went to a bunch of "meditation retreats" that sounded exactly like the ones the moonies do so he may actually be in a legit cult lol

Lol was he going to Cota Rica for it? Cuz there's some youtube person who runs one of those now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kaubocks posted:

i once tried checking the SRC forum for why they don't run Doom no-OoB. from what i could gather it used to exist, but was taken down from the boards because........? people just saw it as a meme category? or something? i honestly couldn't tell, or the answer was so stupid i blocked it from my memory

The only people who were bothering to do it were people who also ran 100% secrets or something.

site posted:

yeah i know, and im saying that calling "playing a doom game straight, but fast" a meme category is dumb because people have been running that sort of thing for a long rear end time

Because it's extremely difficult to manage to clip out of bounds in Doom, and many of the levels where it can be done by a skilled player it's not faster to use than it is to go the normal way, due to the level geometry.

On the levels where it's possible UV-speed attempts now in most of the speedrun rules and poo poo to use the void glitch - like E2M6 where using it can basically save 10 seconds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pixaal posted:

Enemies would also be variable per-player. What about a game that involves any RNG at all? What if someone is on an entirely different screen? Which player's camera angle is used? I don't think this could work beyond updating where someone is on an overlay map, which is basically what splits are, just a list.

This is also a networking nightmare to attempt to sync everything into each players screen since ping could easily cause things to hit in the wrong frame.

You're just giving more reasons to do the hallucination overlay.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Let's just revert all speedrunning to comparing times posted on everyone's personal site like this

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Carbon dioxide posted:

Can I use your time travel computer please?

Sure, it's right here http://oneterabyteofkilobyteage.tumblr.com

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

McFrugal posted:

But is he banned, or just hasn't gone? Or are they just not accepting submissions from him without publicly saying he's banned?

He hasn't gone since 2014 and also doesn't seem to have tried or submitted since maybe 2015? And I think in 2015 it was just a case of "your submission isn't interesting enough for the schedule" since he wasn't going full weird nazi yet then.

You don't need to ban someone who's not trying to show up, basically.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DoctorWhat posted:

question: are they just banned from "representing gdq" or are they banned from the premises?

Being visible on stream at all counts as "representing GDQ".

I mean, it ain't like GDQ is legally allowed to bar them from showing up to the hotel.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So like why did the people reporting hitler #49 not take the extra time to grab some of his the elite posts in the first place?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Brother Entropy posted:

because they weren't aware of those posts? kind of a stupid question

Idk man if you know the guy posts there and you know the guy just dropped some nazi poo poo in the discord you're watching him in, shouldn't you go and check if he also did his nazi poo poo there and skip the whole "you didn't show us enough stuff" stage?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ArfJason posted:

whoah hey the hamtaro games for gbc and gba are legit if hitler really did get the wr mad props to the H man.

Greetings from Germany,

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eonwe posted:

speedrunning: sodomy laws get eliminated, colon cancer skyrockets

Cancer skyrockets, speedruns raise more money... my god this goes all the way to the top

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I learned that word from these very forums where someone got nailed for doing just that, every six months or so some dipshit does it and gets banned/perma'd for it

The weirdest part of it all is that going "i'm not a pedophile, i'm an ephebophile" is straight up saying you're worse than people thought you were. Even outside of any context like reddit or these forums. Pedophiles can just be some poor schmuck with a hosed up brain that's constantly gotta keep watch of themselves so they don't hurt kids, an ephebophile is someone who is basically bragging to you about how much they want to do it on purpose.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
People shouldn't need any kind of special qualification to do the things Matty for example refused to do, imo. It's easy poo poo which is why not doing it is super galling.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gilg posted:

The AGDQ schedule says Symphony of the Night is going to be played on a PSTV. How is it different than running it on a PlayStation?

The PSTV is a PlayStation Vita without the screen or touch capability, which you hook up to your TV. It's fully emulation so it's not the same as running it on a PS1 or even a PS2.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Stab posted:

That would make it the psp version. The game is typically run on the xbla version. My guess is that the psp version is closer to ps1 but doesn't have to wait on disc reads, but I really have no idea.

It could be the PSP version, but it could also be the PS3/PSP/Vita "PSOne Classic" version which doesn't have explicit changes but naturally lacks all the disc load time stuff. Both would run on a PSTV.

Schedule doesn't clarify, but judging by the runner's videos he's mostly played ont he original version before so it might be more likely to be the PSOne Classics version.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'd rather see arby's ads than the ads from one year where it kept playing the exact same indie publisher ad over and over

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
When was the last time slapping i in front of things randomly was even a hip thing. That's gotta be like 10+ years ago

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Groovelord Neato posted:

that sonic 1 run is an all timer.

Hell yeah

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SeXReX posted:

A big down side of the tink for European users is no support at all for scart which I'm led to believe is popular over there (i don't get why anyone would like it though the connector weighs 10 pounds and has no retention outside of the pins so if someone farts in the other room you risk it coming loose)

I bought component cable from hd retrovision for genesis and snes and now I'm thinking about a nesrgb mod that would let me use them with it.

It was the only method to handle being able selling the same game/computer system across western Europe back when there were two different TV systems and like 3 different set ups for broadcast channels. So it's what everyone's old console hooked up with.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
All timing should start at the moment of birth (caesarean section counts as a skip, so players born that way may not submit scores in glitchless category)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sage Grimm posted:

He's responded on twitter in video form and I guess still true to himself features no apology or regret for his actions. Comments that follow are what you expect: "locker room talk," "it's like when we said 'that's gay'", alt-right brony, etc.

Is he seriously still doing the brony thing now? Christ even the people who do conventions for the bronies are shutting things down these days.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fadam posted:

I think you misread that, or maybe I'm misreading you. I don't think Caleb is a brony, but there are bronies in his replies defending him.

Coulda sworn he'd done some dumb bullshit a number of years ago where he said he was really into the pony show in the wake of another meltdown on stream.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ItBreathes posted:

Nazis or being born in 1988, right? Never did get why people put their birth year in usernames.

It used to be a surefire way to get almost the name you wanted, while looking less lame than being username1 or whatever.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

https://twitter.com/SecksWrecks/status/1148629705865781249

Good luck to him if this is met, somehow, through some combination of people deciding they want to see it.

looks like a great controller to play emulated Vectrex games with

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Studio posted:

Someone teach me how to setup a philips CDI emulator so I can submit the dumb zelda games that should be in every marathon, ever.

They all still suck to emulate.

You can either play CD-i games through MAME which is buggy with spotty compatibility, or you can use TinyCDi which is a fork from the same code base and optimized around certain games but works way worse on others.

RetroArch should have CD-i support through MAME as an option now but getting your hands on the proper format files for the games might be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Studio posted:

I don't know how to setup the emulator :negative:. The farthest I've gotten is Wand of Gamelon with no audio outside of cutscenes, which tbqh is almost good enough.

You probably set it up right. The issue is CD-i emulation is still mad janky.