Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The "I really thought this game would be good so I bought it for $60 on day one and it turns out it's actually as bad as everyone said it would be" posts give me life :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I reinstalled 76 after trying it once before and noping out before making it down the stairs leading out of the vault. It always ran like poo poo whenever I booted it up even with low settings, and I assumed the game was just a poorly optimized game that ran like poo poo. Turns out the built in v-sync was clashing with my Nvidia settings and was artificially halving my framerate which added a nauseating jutter whenever I turned or moved. I disabled the vsync through the ini file and the game now runs amazingly at 144hz and it kind of changes my whole perception of the game. I might keep playing more of it but I'm not sure how to feel about Fallout + GTA Online which is the kind of vibes I get from it sometimes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I sub to Fallout 1st can friends of mine join me in a private world if they don't have 1st?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I was curious about this to and found this on their website:

So it would work as long as you stay logged in.

Figured that would be the case, thanks for doing the research :D

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the hints, folks! Keep em coming :D

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So I get all these mutations, then is there a way to heal radiation without removing the mutations that I should be doing to bring my HP back to full?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sweet, got all the mutations and was able to chug enough milk to remove the radiation damage. Thanks for all the helpful tips, it's a bit daunting trying to figure out all this stuff. I also now see the benefit of just playing public servers with casual groups. I was honestly expecting griefing a la GTA:O but so far everybody I've run across seems to be pretty chill?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a reason why casual teams I'm joining aren't sharing perks? Is there a downside to it that I'm not realizing or do pubbies just not know it's a thing they can do?

Edit: Oh I guess not everybody puts points into charisma.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 27, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a bunch of fo76 yesterday and convinced a friend to check it out with me. Game's a lot of fun! I'm really really enjoying it after the initial burst of confusion in trying to figure out how everything is slightly different from regular fallout. My friend won't shut up about how the timelines don't really line up with the other games in the series but I just tuned him out so I don't know his specific complaint.

So this game had zero npcs when it came out, huh? Was everything like the army training I just did where you push a button to get a story dump before moving on? I'll say the npcs here feel far less real than npcs in other fallouts because they either have nothing to say or creepily walk backwards everywhere but it's a world populated by non players at least which gives the illusion of a living world.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kaddish posted:

The HD re-texture mod makes a substantial difference. Highly recommended.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/1209

What's the performance hit like with this?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kaddish posted:

For me I would say not-significant. I imagine as long as you have enough VRAM you're pretty good to go. I'm on a 4080.

Thanks! I may check it out. The textures don't bug me all that much, although I imagine it's one of those things that isn't super apparent until you get the replaced textures in there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anything important I could miss in the atomic shop or is it pretty much just finding cosmetics/building materials that look cool?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

What kind of stuff do you like? I'm a sucker for CAMP items that do fun things (like the weather changers) or generate resources (my communist collectron is my favorite thing in my camp) so I tend to buy those up. I also like a lot of the big prefab buildings since I would rather use those then place individual walls/floors/etc. My camp right now utilizes the makeshift mega mansion and the pittsburgh palace.

Well I like the cosmetics like different building parts and costumes but I'd rather buy something with a practical in game use like the loadouts lots Flesh Forge mentioned before dipping into any of the cosmetics. Probably going to grab the loadout/CAMP slot because I can see those being useful.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Agreed, that was definitely something I expected to see but was pleasantly surprised when I found that pretty much all the paid stuff is various types of cosmetics.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So is specializing in semi automatic pistols not advisable in 76?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Flesh Forge posted:

tbh I should give it a go with a plasma pistol or something, there's a bunch of pistol options in F76 I've never even tried before.

For some reason I always gravitate towards them in fallout, right now I have a 44 with a scope that is just popping heads left and right (at level 20) and it feels preeeetty good

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the tips re: semi auto pistols in 76. I'm still not even level 20 yet so for now I might stick with the pistol perks since one body shot from my 44 is taking down most basic enemies but will probably pivot to commando/rifleman sooner or later.

Edit: Actually if Rifleman remains decent later on that might be what I go with.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Otacon posted:

[*] If you're new, do the Free Shelter quest, available probably as soon as you leave the vault. Shelters are their own interior spaces, separate from your Camps. You can place the shelter entrance at all your Camps, and it will be the same exact shelter at all of them, containing all your placed items or workbenches or whatever. These make great expeditionary Camps - move Camps, quickly toss down your Shelter, and done! You've got a fast free home-away-from-home.
[/list]

drat, thank you for this. I did the shelter tutorial but I swear they never actually tell you how to access your own shelter. That sounds like a really good idea.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I made a nice little shack using that video posted a few pages back detailing how to do stuff like change the height of foundations. I also blew my resources on the building and don't have a ton of plans for decorations so it's kind of barren inside atm.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a mod for 76 similar to SkyUI that makes the inventory and menus not suck as much? I use the non-pip boy mode to view everything because it's clearer but it's still a bit poo poo to navigate. I haven't found anything so I assume that's a non moddable thing but figured I'd ask anyway.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Otacon posted:

I use FastPip and FastUI and love them. You probably don't need to deal with the injector versions unless you already run a few mods
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/874
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/1269

Sweet, thanks! I tried manually installing by dropping the files in and editing the custom ini but it doesn't seem to be working, I might have to do the injection stuff. I'll have to futz with it later.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Running around with every mutation is clearly beneficial in many ways but it's getting sort of old having to go out of my way to find a cow to milk whenever I need to reduce rads. I'm just kind of getting used to always only having 1/4 of my health bar at this point.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Maaan, I subscribed to gamepass premium so I could stream FO76 on my retroid pocket and only after did I find the streaming version is the console version which apparently is not cross save with the PC version. I can stream locally from my pc through moonlight but I was hoping I could just do it without having to run it on my computer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There any FO76 build guides out there that walk you through a leveling build using commando? I found some "beginner" commando builds but it assumes you're at lvl 75 or something so I guess I'm trying to figure out if there's a recommended path to take when going from level 25 and up to eventually get a decent build. I guess it's probably hard with this game because perk cards are randomized and not guaranteed at certain levels? I know it really doesn't matter all that much but I'm starting to have trouble with the powerful single shot pistol stuff and can't really fully commit to a commando build when ammo is still sorta hard to come by and I'm not exactly flush with cash.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Awesome, thanks for the link! I'll take a look later tonight. Feeling a bit aimless atm and between builds so looking forward to getting something going.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kaddish posted:

If anyone is really hurting leveling, I recommend throwing down the dosh for Cold Shoulder

To clarify do you mean the "Cold Shoulder Starter Bundle" that costs 1000? I have just enough for this after getting a few other things so I might grab it if so.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

These tadpole challenges in 76 seem like kind of a pain, I just want this backpack :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got the mod stuff working, I didn't realize that the custom ini had to have everything else in addition to the line with the new ba2 files. The FastUI/FastPIP is nice, nothing too crazy but being able to see all the tabs at once makes it a lot easier to navigate around the menu.

Also picked up the cold shoulder and got it crafted and yeah that thing slaps, thanks for the recommendation!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay Cold Shoulder does indeed kick rear end and I can easily see it carrying me while getting a build together, thanks for the recommendation!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat so I just tried playing 76 with a friend for the first time and do we really have to make whoever is going in the dungeon leader so everybody can follow? It's weird how lovely this game appears to be towards people in parties trying to do quests together.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got the Shotgun/Cold Shoulder skin from the battle pass because I was sick of seeing the frost around my crosshair when the gun is out but I don't see the skin in the crafting menu, is there a plan I get somewhere that has to be used to unlock that skin?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kaddish posted:

Peepers? It's definitely in the upgrade menu. First option iirc. (Not in the crafting menu)

Ran Eviction Notice today for the first time. It was nice.

Hm, I'll have to check again. I looked in the menu with the other skins like the basic no-skinned look and the other one that was locked but didn't see the peepers one.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I never really go into a game with a battle pass with the expectation that I'll completely finish the battle pass. I do dailies if I can in FO76 but am not really letting it inform my gameplay decisions. Though I'm also coming at it from someone who started playing after the season started so it would be an uphill battle for me to get there anyway.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been running with all the mutations for a while now and it's really not that bad! It's just annoying healing radiation damage without the chance of clearing useful mutations. Although I guess I'm now realizing running around with almost no HP is a viable strategy with the proper armor anyway.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Huh, I really thought the AC stuff had to be purchased to participate in but it looks like that bundle is just extra cosmetics and atoms?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got the peepers skin working, guess I just had to log out/log in or something. Much better without a static poof of frost dangling in front of me all the time. Also up to Level 35 and the commando perks are definitely starting to yield results. I'm still missing a lot of cards still but the SMGs I have are doing serious work all the sudden.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I went on my first expedition to Atlantic City and there seemed to be nothing to do there? I went to the community center and killed a bunch of the plant monsters but never found out what exactly I was supposed to be doing there. Is there a quest I should be taking before going there or am I just missing where all da quests at?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Flesh Forge posted:

You should get a mission contact and compass pointers and all that poo poo, that's never happened that way for me.

I think I was supposed to go to The Pitt but I said screw it and went to AC so maybe that's on me for sequence breaking.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Otacon posted:

You need to be a group leader to launch an expedition.

Ah this might have been it. I was definitely not group leader so I guess i just went for the fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah you should probably just not play FO76 if you feel that strongly about it. If you're still being coerced into it despite preferring to literally cut your own dick off you can get it from Amazon for free right now if you have Prime or it's also playable on Gamepass.