Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Amazon patent to track how many times you jack it on the job:

Link
this is the worst

I guess trying to turn humans into robots is cheaper than making actual robots though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you're not getting it, it's not just an accelerometer, it tracks the position of the employees hand in realtime to "prevent errors in shelving or picking" and I'm sure it certainly won't be used to grind out that last 0.5% of "slack" that the poor people who staff their warehouses currently enjoy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you drive a black or silver prius in san francisco people will randomly try to get into your car

I took a taxi home from buying a new monitor this weekend, the driver was this cool old guy who's lived in the city since the 50s and I even used an app to hail it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ate all the Oreos posted:

also bitcoin is crashing hard at the same time

did bitcoin crash the global economy, jfc

it's market makers realizing that they should probably do a lot of profit taking now before things get really stupid

that money that goes out of the stock market usually ends up in commodities and treasuries where it will stay until the same market makers think the stock market has bottomed out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a rich person's greatest nightmare is poor* neighbors

*in this case "poor" can be defined as a sub-500k total household income

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

What even is the point of landing rockets? They're mostly fuel so the part that's actually valuable is gone when it lands.

I think I remember seeing that having a reusable space shuttle ended up costing like 3x more than just building a new disposable vehicle every time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

would love to see anyone on their board try to survive for a year using their own website

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i can easily believe that thiel is precious about his daily transfusions and allows his misogyny to dictate that no femoidblood shall ever be used to sustain him

I bet there's a westworld-looking office where he makes candidates strip down and asks them weird questions like a horny voight kampf test

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's a code on my icebreaker jacket that tells me what sheep ranch the wool comes from :scotland: [actually nz but there's no smiley for that]

oh hey twitter made a profit by cutting a bunch of expenses in R&D and marketing/outreach

this looks like a healthy business for sure

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my old college friends recently went to a "life extension" conference in vegas and I can assure you that whatever dumb idea about chemicals you can come up with you'll find people willing to inject it into themselves on the off-hand chance it works

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not sure if this is still true but I know when I was in college there was research showing that children of immigrants generally have vastly better command of english than children of people born in the us

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder how softbank feels about a chunk of their huge cash injection going directly to google

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the softbank purchase valued uber down to 45 bil from 68, no way are they at 72 now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

aren't they talking about the slimming of the feed to favor like ~15 friends and family members instead of "literally everyone you follow"? not the dislike testing

I think they're trying to show more of what actual humans post over the 100000 identical lovely procedural dessert videos people like or share but there's no way to know for sure because facebook refuses to tell people what they're doing and also refuses to let users customize their own feeds because that might interfere with promoted content

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at which point they all switch over to lyft for a 12 hour shift

there's hundreds of people who drive in from the central valley to drive uber/lyft in sf on the weekends and they stay up all night and catch a few hours of sleep saturday morning before pulling another all nighter, it's super safe and normal

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rent control is pretty much the only reason I might be able to actually retire, because gently caress taking on a 700 grand mortgage in my 40s

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so the new thing will be logistics systems for retailers to defend them against future shoppers armed with bot technology

*automated minigun turret springs to life* "WELCOME TO BATH AND BODY WORKS, PLEASE PRESENT YOUR FREQUENT SHOPPER ID AND PREPARE TO BE SCANNED FOR DANGEROUS PRICE OPTIMIZATION ALGORITHMS"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jimbo is reserved for the most shameful of james: a james who exhibits a pattern of wronging other jameses

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

scott weiner also sponsored the bill to ban public nudity in sf outside of special events

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it was rich gentrifiers who bought houses in the castro and then started complaining that there were gross old naked dudes near the muni station so now it's gross old almost naked dudes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

don't worry, they'll eventually push all of them out so the castro will literally be a historically lgbtq district

there's one gay bar left on polk, which was the city's original gay district

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

portland isn't totally hosed yet but it's well past its peak and if you moved there now you'd just get to watch it slowly get worse

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my doula makes the best kale chips was the most bay area sentence ever uttered until that person from palo alto complaining that the billionaires were pushing out all us normal millionaires

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the real bay area power move would have been to leave the car and take an uber where they were going

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tire is flat, time to get a new car

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

meatpotato posted:

I experienced a version of this scene as a chile

early 30s yuppie couple with a 3-series with two flat rear tires, steel belts worn through, in the Stinson beach library parking lot impatiently waiting for AAA. I was like “yeah good luck getting that patched” lol

would so not like to drive any of the roads out of there on temp tires

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a joke, but megan mcardle produces laughable material so often you cannot be blamed for doing a double take

iirc she's the same person who, after sandy hook, proposed that we train children to run at school shooters to overwhelm them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

damore's nlrb claim got rejected hard

“the statements regarding biological differences between the sexes were so harmful, discriminatory, and disruptive as to be unprotected.”

quote:

Damore’s memo, titled “Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber,” contended that Google’s diversity efforts were misplaced because they ignored women’s biologically driven disinterest in technology. It includes many claims, which have previously been dissected in detail online. But Sophir focuses specifically on Damore’s “statements about immutable traits linked to sex — such as women’s heightened neuroticism and men’s prevalence at the top of the IQ distribution.” These statements were “discriminatory and constituted sexual harassment, notwithstanding [Damore’s] effort to cloak [his] comments with ‘scientific’ references and analysis,” she writes. Moreover, she says Google “carefully tailored” its reasons for firing Damore, limiting them to unprotected portions of the memo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think he was working on anything particularly valuable so I see no upside to rehiring him but nice sexism

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol if you think google isn't already stacked to the rafters with untalented ivy league white dudes and they need help from the one dumb enough to codify his sexism and racism into writing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why is it parked on a grassy hill offroad

see those white halos around the steering wheel and edges of the windows? it's a stock photo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

i mean it's not like there are a ton of studies out there saying his bad open offices are for the last 20 years, AND YET

my last place was open office and 50% contractors so yeah I got sick more than I ever did before

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

wine subscriptions, but for millennials, how novel!

this ain't your parents' wine club!

there's an app tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have had 1.5-2 hour each way commutes twice in my life and never again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh boy am I having fun with this stuff irl. turns out that if you might lose millions by misinterpreting a legal document people want 100% accuracy which means manually reviewing what the process did and no amount of hand wavy AI marketing poo poo will solve that problem

ofc the humans gently caress it up 10%of the time too, but they don't cost a million dollars per year like this stuff does
I think a lot of businesses would rather do this to achieve more predictable outcomes over potentially optimal ones, even at a slightly higher total price. of course once it's been in place long enough for the team that bought it to have cycled out there will be a ruthless optimization press that will make the humans' lives hell

I mean this stuff had better be worth its license fee, it'll be immediately obvious if it's not. stuff like salesforce einstein is $25/seat/month

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the fact that the germany/france nazi filter exists should be proof that they're full of poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

oakland has these billboards all over reading things like "sex with a 14-year-old is sex with a child" and "buying a teen for sex is child abuse"

it's really, really depressing
it's not like the police haven't made the problem even worse

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the actual situation is so hosed up it's a bit hard to believe but it's not really a tech bubble thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

*holding back tears* that growth curve, its... beautiful. staggering. I need a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we are so doomed