Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

big Clive did a review a bit back of you are interested in party murder ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZ0uCuZhDU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

How the gently caress isn't it most cost-effective to have a robot arm do that poo poo if you're planning on running a sensor array for every single bin

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Since practically everything is in plastic packaging then grab it with a suction hose and drag it down in to a collection hopper and then another one can suck Bezos off or whatever

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Also it seems really computationally complex?

Listen buddy my dishwasher deals with deer running in front of it all the time why is it so hard with cars

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

haveblue posted:

you'd think light bulbs of all things would use powerline networking

powerline modems are relatively expensive and complex to embed compared to a zig bee radio or some other poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

oh okay

you loving idiot

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

qirex posted:

tire is flat, time to get a new car

I stopped someone from replacing their 3 year old sedan this winter because it drove bad in the snow and they never considered: snow tires.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Hmmmm yes I cannot believe the absolute cheapest chinesium-never-heard-of-brand low rolling resistance tires have poor snow and ice traction

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

for the amount of juice you get i'm surprised they let you take it for free

how many kwh is a full "tank" on a typical ev anyway

a volt is ~15kwhr which is going to come out to like a buck fifty in juice for a full charge at commercial rates

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

each car is supposed to be communicating with just the car immediately in front of and behind them

lol this will magically resolve traffic surging through a frantic waving of hands

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

don't worry, butttouchbar does it too

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

oh, twitter did a bot purge last night and some folks are real salty they lost thousands of followers overnight

the infowars guys asking where thousands of followers went made me chuckle

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

take medicare and ss and spend it on the cheapest, most remote penal colonies for boomers. spend the savings on education.

Logan's Run was a utopia

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

the world's best electronic squeezing device has already been invented

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C3D0rcFXrY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcniyQYFU6M

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i would say it's underengineered. speccing expensive custom cnc-machined parts all over the place is lazy design. their engineer probably went "i could make a device that squeezes bags for like a $40 BOM, but that would take some effort and we're gonna sell this for 400 bucks so gently caress it"

alternate theory is that their engineer was clever and deliberately overbuilt it so that in a year or two he* could replace the expensive aluminum part with a cheaper polymer version, cut the production cost 50%, and get a big fat bonus

*i try to use male and female pronouns equally in my writing but in this case who am i kidding

did you watch the boltr breakdown because he goes over a lot of this. they designed it to uniformly squeeze the entire bag in one motion which requires big beefy drive/bearings/interlocks that can withstand hundreds of pounds of pressure when the same work could have been trivially accomplished by a small roller working from one end to the other and much less force. There weren't really any places to cheap out on materials while using the same design because nobody does it that way (for good reason)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

isn't the juicero "cold-pressed juice is magic" guy now selling raw water

yes he is still selling diarrhea

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

the russians Bloomberg used a hammer their hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lutHF5HhVA

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

One Gallon of Electricity, please

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Humans have terrible reaction times so we should expect and accept that computers should be even worse at the task, for some reason.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I think a few people put the EICAR test string in there just to gently caress with them too

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

a reminder from earlier this page: the data recorded from the mic is almost certainly more damaging than what the camera can pick up and nobody covers up the mic port

hell, I don't even know where the mic is on this MacBook. maybe under the speaker grill? who the hell knows

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

self driving cars have demonstrated themselves to be significantly more dangerous than human drivers already

lol I wonder if insurance scammers will have any luck throwing themselves in front of slow moving automated cars to try to get easy payoffs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

so, self driving cars are what, 5 years out?

in that they will still be broken murder-mobiles but on the road and accepted regardless? yes.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaman Linavi posted:

i think i would like to watch a show thats like jackass except its loving with self-driving cars. sticking dildos to various sensors, acting like one of those intersection window washer dudes and spraying the car down, people standing in a line on the highway with slowly decreasing speedlimit signs strapped to their back. probs more testing than they would get otherwise too

lol a cyclist jersey with a 25 MPH sign drawn on the back would be a wonderful test

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

go play outside Skyler posted:

i want to play with a fuckin' lidar now

pretty much any surveying company will have one these days, the tech got cheap

gently caress you if you need to store point cloud data for them, though

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

President Beep posted:

we’re finally getting lidar imagery for the municipality i work for. i can’t loving wait to start playing with it.

i wonder how pissed the IT guy would be if i tried to generate and store a 36 square mile point cloud.....

:thunk:

If I remember right a single building will clock in at somewhere around 50gb for standard resolution surveying. You can probably get away lower res depending on your needs but you're going to probably need tens to hundreds of TB in storage arrays to house that scale of surveying and big loving SDD scratch disks on the workstations to copy them to when they're being manipulated

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

nevermind trying to render the point clouds

That part isn't too bad. This was a couple years ago but memory consumption was floating around 4gb for the viewer. It's going to depend on what the scale of your dataset is but the captures do multiple passes at different resolutions and what pass you is loaded in ram is dictated by the zoom level. That could vary based what software you are using, but it was very doable on mid-range hardware five years ago. The biggest issue was it thrashing disk to read new points when you changed zoom level, that's where the SSD comes in.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

my brother just started a thru-hike of the AT, i did the first week with him. biggest day was like 9 miles with 2k feet of elevation change, 30lb pack, and i was still just hitting ~2000 active calories according to my watch. completely blew past my body's systems for hydration and calories, by day 4 I was just stuffing my face just short of vomiting and just barely getting it right

can't imagine how long 54k cal would take a 4'20" person tbqh

I think you would end up making GBS threads out half of that thing before your body could absorb the cals

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

muckswirler posted:

Right. Which is why it's dumb to talk about calories in/out and easier to talk about things that grow and live on the planet vs things that are processed with added fats, starches, and sugars. Your digestive system is much more complex than a gasoline engine. You could probably eat 10000 calories of coconut oil a day and not gain weight but you're not going to feel super great either as your body struggles to process it and you fail to absorb half of it.

Gimme that sweet sweet olean

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my bitter bi rival posted:

Tori is equally stupid and unhelpful and wrong

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

rjmccall posted:

she was almost certainly hosed anyway, it's just that greenwald ('s fact checkers iirc) provided like instant confirmation

Yeah didn't she get got because once the leak hit they had a log of exactly who accessed and printed those documents and she was the only one? Microdots confirmed but better sanitization of those wouldn't have done much

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm glad my gf likes the look of the cmax because its a practical hybrid and but I think its fuckugly

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

So what's the term for someone who lives their lives awash in conspiracy theory horseshit? I don't really know of a term in the common lexicon for this kind of behavior despite how prevalent it is

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

creates suction, you say?

Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

President Beep posted:

lol. you’d love kalamazoo then. downtown is 100% bisected by railroad tracks and the freight trains sometimes sit there and block traffic for crazy amounts of time.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2017/12/pattern_of_trains_blocking_kal.html

lol east lansing had to build extremely expensive railway underpasses because the trains parking would often completely block access to the southern reaches of town for miles across and EMS would have to re-route an extra 20 minutes to get to a call

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

"Autopilot But Ole Musky Kills You For Using It"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Plane autopilot also relies on proper avionics to know where the plane is relative to the earth since it cannot pass through matter without engulfing everyone in flames but musky decided to tackle that same problem on the ground much closer to solid objects that will kill the occupants with a couple webcam sensors and a gpu

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

laws don't mean poo poo unless someone is enforcing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

OSHA is largely a reactive organization. Inspections happen but even then they get an opportunity to remediate with pretty much zero consequence and it takes a pattern of repeated violations for anything substantial to happen. In reality, it takes several people getting maimed or killed under similar circumstances for something to change and that's assuming the victim or their families don't get paid off. Union shops are usually better about this because they have just-cause dismissal and its harder to go after someone blowing the safety whistle. The overall threshold for safety risk is lower because, Surprise Surprise, someone is advocating for the workers instead of just the owners. That dynamic becomes worse when the company is run by a lunatic instead of managers from the industry with experience who exhibit some amount of restraint and common sense.