Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

oddium posted:

hello im a copy editor and having february in the title twice is off putting. should just be february chat thread: knack history month

also hire me and pay me well thank you

I used to be a copy editor for a local newspaper and we were invited to participate in a community spelling bee/auction to raise money for charity. Other competitors included the city council and different local organizations. We get are the first team to go and the word is chocolate. Our editor-in-chief says "I got this" and doesn't bother with even a brief pow-wow with the reporter or me. She proceeds to misspell chocolate.

That's my story thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

bentacos posted:

I keep seeing Radiant Historia and my mind keeps mistaking it for Radiata Stories. Square should rerelease that.

Radiate Stories is a wide game but not a very deep one. Like, there's a ton of people to recruit and a story that can take one of two very different turns and a day/night cycle that NPCs react to, but combat was, as I remember, really lacking.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Ooblets is something my wife would like, but I feel like it's got so many little animations, like that kneel down before turning flowers into creatures, that take just long enough that it would drive me mad.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Return of the Knack (and Cheetos)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

You might think that after 80 hours of hunting monsters my enjoyment of the experience may have begun to wane. On the contrary, I recently started using the lance and my thirst for battle has only grown.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

What's the website that shows the price history for Steam games? My wife says that an old friend has convinced her to play FFXIV and while I strongly suspect that she has been replaced by a bodysnatcher I would like to see when the last time the game and expansion were on sale. There's still the goon who does Steam sales at a reduced price, too, right? Or did he quit?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Not a Children posted:

I want to say isthereanydeal.com has price charts but I'm too lazy to check

It looks like it does and there haven't been any sales on Steam since the last expansion was released.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

You're not wrong but...its just not the same. Kingdom Hearts' presentation feels so much out of a goth/scene kids notebook in ninth grade even in 2018, where a pink haired femboy comes out of a vortex and says "Oshisashibur" and then new goth-er Riku stabs his key sword into a beach, muttering cryptically about his Other Self

It takes all this bullshit so seriously where Final Fantasy doesn't always, and is proudly on its bullshit

I only played through KH1 but when I see story cutscenes from 2 and later game I think of how grimdark the series seems to have gotten from starting on an idyllic island with your friends and gaining powers on stained glass pictures of Disney princesses. And yeah, maybe that's the theme or the point but it all seems a little over the top. One minute two chipmunks are helping me build a Gummi Ship and the next a shadowy council of Names Incorporating The Least Often Used Letters is doing... something sinister, I'm sure.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I just found out that a friend who got a Creative Writing degree with me worked on Horizon Zero Dawn.

Time to evaluate my life choices.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I clearly should write more period, but there are so many games to play

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

One last thing about my friend and HZD (I haven't looked through Facebook in a while and I'm getting a lot at once): She hadn't come out as trans when the game was released, so her old name was included in the credits. Her post about her being in the credits didn't mention this, so it's not like she was complaining; she was excited to be part of an amazing game. Then, when the Frozen Wilds came out, Guerrilla updated the credits to reflect her new, real name. It's one of those "minimal effort to show we care" things that I like to see, like the Legend of Grimrock developers including the ability to move your characters by clicking on buttons instead of keyboard commands after a disabled gamer asked them about it. Or anytime a game comes with a few colorblind options.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

Gotta use a trusted source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boU_gHy67CQ

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Going from never having heard of it to being excited to being disgusted within an hour, what a roller coaster of emotions

A real Milkshake Duck

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I got my Retropie all set up with pretty much everything I could want, and aside from a few limitations (N64 games run very slowly, Dreamcast games load to a "set the system time" menu that I can't leave and locks me out of Retropie-level system controls, PSX games occasionally hitch for a second being read of an external drive, and Castlevania Rondo of Blood doesn't seem to want to load) I'm really happy with it. I hooked it up to the TV in the living room so I can play a level or two of something when I don't have the time to wait for Monster Hunter to load up and complete a hunt. Now I'm tempted to buy a simple capture card/passthrough to connect to it and maybe do some Let's Plays.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It's super duper twee

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm catching up on other threads and wanted to share this.

DontMockMySmock posted:

[I'm sorry I have no video editing or voice acting skills to make the following script into a reality.]

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Well, Pannenkoek, I made it, despite your directions.

Pannenkoek: Ah, TJ "Henry" Yoshi, if that is your real name. I hope you're ready for an unforgettable Watch for Rolling Rocks.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Eh.

[Pannenkoek enters Hazy Maze Cave and sees that he has to press A]

Pannenkoek: Ye gods, my low-A-press run is ruined! Hmm. . . But what if I were to hold A from a previous level? Ho ho ho ho! Delightfully devilish, Pannenkoek! *begins to press A*

[TJ "Henry" Yoshi enters]

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Ah. . .

[Musical number]
Pannenkoek with his crazy explanations. TJ "Henry" is gonna need his medication, when he hears Pannenkoek's crazy explanations. There'll be trouble in SM64 tonight!
TJ "Henry" Yoshi: PANNENKOEK!!!

Pannenkoek: TJ "Henry" Yoshi! I was just transporting this scuttlebug! Every time it hits you its home resets to a new location! Care to join me?

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Why are you pressing A, Pannenkoek?

Pannenkoek: Oh! That's not an A press! Those are B presses! Mmmm, B presses!

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Eh. [Exits.]

Pannenkoek: Phew. [builds up speed for 9 hours]

[Pannenkoek enters the dining room]

Pannenkoek: TJ "Henry" Yoshi. I hope you're ready for holding down the A button!

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: I thought you said you were going to press the B button.

Pannenkoek: No I said "half A press." That's what I call holding the A button down from a previous level.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: An A press is an A press. You can't say it's only half.

Pannenkoek: Yes I can. An A press has three parts.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Uh huh. What parts?

Pannenkoek: Pressing the button, holding it down, and releasing it.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Really. Well I've speedran any% SM64 and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "half A press."

Pannenkoek: Oh, not in an any% run, no. It's a low-A-press run expression.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: I see.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: You know, you'd still have to press A at some point in order to be holding A during Watch for Rolling Rocks, so that'd count as an A press.

Pannenkoek: Oh ho ho ho, no. You can hold A from a previous A press that you used for a different level. Old Pannenkoek strat.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: For a "half A press."

Pannenkoek: Yes.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: And you call it that despite the fact that you have obviously fully pressed A.

Pannenkoek: Well. . . you know. . . One thing I should-. . . excuse me for one second.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Of course.

[Pannenkoek uses his built up speed to zoom around Hazy Maze Cave]

Pannenkoek: [yawns] Ah, well, got the star. A good time was had by all. I'm pooped.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Yes, I should- Good lord, what is happening in there!?

Pannenkoek: Parallel universes.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Eh!? Parallel universes!? In this game? In this part of the castle? Almost twenty years after SM64's release? Localized entirely within Hazy Maze Cave?

Pannenkoek: Yes.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: May I see them?

Pannenkoek: That would crash the game.

[TJ "Henry" Yoshi exits]

Pannenkoek's mother: [yelling from upstairs] Pannenkoek! I'm trapped in a parallel universe!

Pannenkoek: [calling up to his mother] No, mother! You just have to be QPU-aligned!

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Well, Pannenkoek, you are an odd fellow, but I must say. . . you half-press a good A button.

Pannenkoek's mother: Help! Help!

[Pannenkoek smiles and gives a thumbs up]

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

This forsaken forum has broken me to the point where I'm staring at this and I can see loss in it.

Posts like this aren't helping

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In 110 hours I've never had a problem with my Hunter auto-sheathing.

e: I have had problems finding the triggers to some of these HR villager request missions. I'm at HR43 and I know I'm missing like five missions.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I just saw Black Panther and it was pretty good. Two thumbs up!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I want to put this in a separate post, but I think Secret of Evermore is better than Secret of Mana.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I had a pretty good understanding of what was going on and what my next immediate task was for almost all of SoE, which was definitely not the case with Mana.

Evermore was the first RPG I beat though, so I don't deny being biased.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

come to think of it considering how small this forum is it was probably you i was shrieking at how broken secret of evermore was sorry about that

It's cool, fam. I remember beating the final boss with a first spear you get because I had it leveled up to max and could throw it with the charged attack. I don't remember why I didn't use the bazooka.

I'm not arguing that the game wasn't broken, just that I don't recall it breaking completely for me and I do remember wandering around SoM wondering what I needed to do to progress while increasingly disjointed events played out.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Monster Hunter World has been an incredible return of interest for me. My games fund is drier now that I have to pay for daycare so it's been the only game I've bought this year, but I'm 140 hours in and having a hard time even thinking about playing something else. This year was supposed to be a chance to burn through my backlog. Sorry non-MonHun games.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Shadow Tactics was one of my favorite games from last year. I did things like what's in the video below for like 40 hours and loved every minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPiePFFZNeY

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Memento mori

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Man, that video did more to pique my interest than anything else I've seen so far. I just want to play around with the Fox Engine and the MGSV controls again.

I can't wait for a sale.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'll buy a copy off Craigslist then, jeez.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

i looked at the final boss/ending for Survive and it was plodding and lifeless on multiple levels

wow, thanks for the warning

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Wallpaper Engine lets you have gifs for backgrounds

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

What kind of coffee do you people like

I tried an espresso today and it was way too much for me

I've never liked that bean brew. Also not crazy about leaf water. I just bring my 64oz Big Gulp mug with me to whatever restaurant and politely but firmly ask that they fill 'er with Coke.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I missed controller chat, but I want to offer a counter point in regards to the 8bitdo SN30 being a bad controller. I use it for everything on the Retropie and it works like a charm. Now, I'm not playing any white-knuckle platformers but for everything from the NES through the PSX it's been great.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

No good deed goes unfragged

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I beat Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight and it was pretty good. Really short considering how big the map wound up feeling. I don't know anything about the rest of the series but I might look into them next. It reminded me of Cave Story, but I think CS ultimately has more meat on its bones.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Samuringa posted:

Did you know that if you beat a boss without taking a single hit you get a unique item with special abilities for each one?

Yeah, I remembered that from watching it during a GDQ some time ago. I got all the boss items except for the one you get from the boxer and archer team. Just failed too many times and decided to barrel through rather than stop progressing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Colonel posted:

it's badass, it's animated by staff who worked on batman: the animated series and the second season veers it off from an episodic post-apocalyptic noir giant robot anime into a trippy existential conspiracy nightmare

it also has a badass opening theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA7Xl5CtHRM

It's a good theme, but I couldn't stop hearing references to the theme from Flash Gordon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4

Which in turn led me to think of the opening to Cromartie High
https://vimeo.com/185231811

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I started playing Ys Origins last night and I don't get the appeal. I'm playing as Hugo but the lack on a "fix direction" button makes shooting kind of uncomfortable. Like, I know that it's not a twin stick shooter or a bullet hell game, but it kind of feels like it wants to be? The one skill I have seems lack-luster and levels don't seem to do much to the point where I'm already just running past most enemies. There's no stores, only one way of really upgrading your character (outside of upgrading the weapon with special items) and the menu for it is so clunky that it doesn't tell you how many SP you have on the same screen it shows you what you can buy with SP. The cherry on top is the character's surname being Fact and his weapon being called "The Eyes of Fact" and I just can't find an eyeroll.gif large enough to express how I feel every time that gets mentioned. I just got the Dragon Scales for the Flooded Prison and I think that's enough for me.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Hey I'm sorry that a dumb character name makes me roll my eyes every time I hear it. I couldn't remember which character had been recommended for a first playthrough, and traditional Ys gameplay means using a weapon with almost no reach in a game with no ability to heal mid-fight. I thought Hugo would spice up the gameplay but he wound up feeling like a fish out a water.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

On a more positive note, I picked up my Cosmic Star Heroine save after a couple months and dropped about 6 hours into it. It's really something special. I've written about the battle system here before, and how it's kind of a dance between buffs and attacks that capitalize on turns that give an extra boost, but now I have a party of like 9 characters with a few more to come and I'm continually surprised with how well the characters are built. Since you can only have seven abilities equipped for each character, you have to think about how those abilities will benefit each other and come up with an outline for what that character will be doing. Then you think about who else will be in the party, and how those skills can benefit the other characters, or how they can play off of one another. Then you think about the enemies you're facing (I guess you should do this first) and make sure you can capitalize on weaknesses.

For example, there's a character who starts with two abilities that kill himself and one that, when cast, will buff other party members while he is dead. In a game where revival skills are rare, this seems like a joke character, right? But another character has an ability to revive that fits under the blanket of Gunmancy, and has another ability that increases with power every for every spent Gunmancy ability. So you could kill the first guy, then revive him, and now that Gunmancy attack will always be a little stronger without having to spend another Gunmancy ability. Then the guy learns a buff that will prevent him from dying, which means you can do the first combo quickly and then have him cast the buff and self-destruct over and over. This is a really minor combo in the scheme of things, but it's ina turn based RPG that does combos like this way better than anything else I've seen. Most RPGs with a combo system revolve around casting abilities with certain elements after one another. And, in a way, I guess that's what's going on here too. It's just done in such a way that I feel like I'm always discovering a new way to use abilities.

I don't know if that was a bunch of dumb word salad or not. I just wanted to say something upbeat about a game after ragging on Ys.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I think Into The Breach would be a great game for iOS so that's what I'm going to hold out for. I wish FTL was available for the iPhone and not just the iPad. Same with Spacechem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

al-azad posted:

Tag yourself. I am and forever will be a brazen strumpet.
I'm the Saucy *squints* trout?

• Locked thread