Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nickoten posted:

I think dieselpunk pretty accurately describes Final Fantasy VII just from hearing it. This is the only thing I've seen it used to describe and now I'm convinced it was created to describe Final Fantasy VII.

It describes, maybe, the first disc. After a while the aesthetic goes out the window and it's just normal Final Fantasy gobbledygook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Leraika posted:

I think it was Kubo who said that whenever he wrote himself into a corner, he introduced a new character.

And that guy wrote himself into a lot of corners. Some of them he made by having too goddamn many characters

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 31, 2018

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ratoslov posted:

What the living hell is wrong with this industry?

This industry? More like this planet in general.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Isn't it literally a popularity contest?

The nomination step is, yeah. There are actual 'judges' for the awards part (which is basically an excuse for high ranking ENworld members to scam free product).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cassa posted:

Is there much of a streaming side for magic games?

I was talking to friends about their BattleCon stuff and the concept of watching high level play in that game would also be super fascinating. Even watching some of the 40k Conquest LCG was a great time.

There is but it suffers from the overall complexity of Magic. Basically it's really hard to tell who's winning without deep knowledge of how the game works and which cards are in play.

Things that would improve this, hand cams (so the commentators can see what's coming), perhaps a separate readable card text window every time a new card is played.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah here's the patent

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5662332

I think it expired? So Tap away!

Yeah it's an expired patent, because it's for a design. Those only last 14 years.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't think they even have the rights for electronic games for Dresden Files, I sincerely doubt Butcher would have handed those over with the traditional games rights. That's not even considering the millions of dollars that console development costs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I don't see a scenario why you would need EHG involved at all.

If you want to use the card game mechanics or the RPG mechanics you would get the Hat involved simply as a courtesy and to make things easier, but yeah they wouldn't be doing any of the actual work of building a video game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MadScientistWorking posted:

The person that hired him is good friends with him.

Which is always the sign of quality, yessiree bob. I usually don't wish ill on others, but they better have reprimanded whoever hired boogie for such blatant nepotism.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And maybe unicorns are real, that's just as likely.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Does Crawford even use the OSR logo or is his stuff just wink nudge compatible?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Originally RPGNow was for indie games and DTRPG was for "big" companies but that didn't last long.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh please, everyone knows Lovecraft was racist as gently caress. I mean look at what he named his cat.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It took 2 years for them to do that? What, did they only pay royalties once a year?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spell levels

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

At the risk of bringing up off-site drama, no, not that I'm aware of.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wasn't there a thing in the Complete Book of Clerics where you could worship like trees or Law or Yourself and still get spell levels?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think there are Paragon Paths and Epic destinies that take you down the road of the Sorcerer Kings, but the Dragon is like a level ridiculous enemy intended to really challenge a whole max level party.

If I remember in 2e they had a book all about the various physical transformations and how to achieve them and hitting Dragon was crazy hard since you needed to essentially destroy an entire nation to get enough sacrifices to start the transformation.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Halloween Jack posted:

People were so angry at 4e they came up with entire new theories of game design, that no one ever actually believed, just to have some smart-sounding reason to denounce it.

Some of those theories were actually quite good when taken as cautionary tales, just not in the way they meant.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Leperflesh posted:

Can the GM use a Compel of "Rocks fall: everyone dies"?

Only in a game where death isn't the end of play.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of why TVtropes had its initial appeal; it presents a view of media that doesn't purely revolve around 'who would win' scenarios and technicalities but in which actual thematic devices, archetypes and story structures are important. Such a goddamn break from nerds who saw literally everything as a wargame and desperately crammed square pegs into round holes on a daily basis.

Except now they're back doing that, except with Tropes this time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

spectralent posted:

...mustard smuggling?

Basically a GM wanted his game to be 'realistic' and so adventure hooks weren't just hanging out in taverns or on bulletin boards for PCs to find. He used the example of the PCs setting up a mustard smuggling racket as what he expected them to do instead of go to caves and kill monsters.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But why? What the hell is Patreon spending their money on? Hosting doesn't cost 5%, and I don't think they go heavy into ad buy, so where does the money go?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

tbh it's the OSR thread that needs to be gassed at this point

We have an OSR thread?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No, bcrypt is recognized as being pretty secure.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A box of assorted cheeses is a better game designer than Mike Mearls

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So every Kickstarter they've run has been at a loss.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well some people would. Those people are crazy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah PWYW is a fast way to get tons of "sales" with no money.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheSoundNinja posted:

D&D 4e. You mean D&D 4e.

A streamlined 4e using cards would be great. Oh wait they already did that and it was called Gamma World. It was awesome.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nuns with Guns posted:

If you're in fear of your life, then don't drop unsubstantiated hints about Jessica Price being a lying liar that you can't back up without dredging up life or livelihood-threatening information? Like for your own personal health, if nothing else.

Yes, going "I know something you don't know, but I can't tell you because doxxing." Just makes you sound like either an idiot or a liar. So for your own sake, just shut up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

edit: brain fart, nvm

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How badly do you have to mess up fulfillment to get your Kickstarter suspended?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This came up in ADTRW but basically Tatsunoko gets next to nothing for royalties on later Macross stuff so they don't give a poo poo and would rather have HG's money than not.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kurieg posted:

He's trying to imply that this is some kind of massive double or triple depth conspiracy where someone is pretending to be him hating gnome to discredit him.

Despite his obvious hatred of gnome?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Malthusian posted:

Wizards is objectively terrible, but it’s probably my favorite bad movie. The mage duel at the end between the two brothers is the best in cinema.

Yeah that's probably my favorite scene in cinema and I don't want to spoil it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bruceski posted:

At my brother's college anime club I don't remember what they showed after Grave but it was some bubbly upbeat show and people were heavily discouraged from leaving after the first feature.

It's like some kind of crime to show Grave of the Fireflies without an upbeat chaser, even if it's just a short.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well that's bad. Has there been any word from his estate as to what will be done with the rights?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So something popped up on the Legend Keeper Patreon.

Legend Keeper is an online world management system that integrates maps, text, characters...everything for regions down to individual buildings if you're that crazy. It went to closed beta a little while ago and it is really nicely done.

They do realize this is a crime right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

As far as I know SJG has never done book printing in house before they starting doing PoD.