Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Surely some game has rules for that. I'm thinking about how to abstract it out right now and I'm pretty sure I could work something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Bedlamdan posted:

Just have realistic spellcasting grounded in reality, thus meaning that the only school of magic is Illusion, via cumbersome trick mirrors.

“I roll to stun the Orc, by leaving him flabbergasted as I pull an extremely large set of handkerchiefs from my nose!”

“Make a sleight of hand check to safely pull the deadly cobra from your hat!”

And so on, there I’ve singlehandedly saved D&D your welcome.

This is excellent, as long as we assume that the setting considers this a necessary and worthwhile addition to a party, in much the same way it's ridiculous to assume adventuring parties exist in the first place.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

What the gently caress is even an "attack against the company?" Like, outside of this context or the lobby scene from the Matrix, what does attacking a company even loving look like? Saying mean things online?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

The article about WotC sounds very naive more than anything. It sounds like Adkison's vision was a hippie commune that sold game books, but that isn't really a thing you can be and also be a corporation, with employees and a hierarchy. It's not ok, but it's a lot more forgivable to be a naive idiot in the 90s than it is to be doing the poo poo Paizo is doing in 2018.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

PST posted:

On the other hand, this is $500

https://www.beadleandgrimms.com/store-swag/platinum-edition

I suspect it's going to sell about 50 copies, but still, that's a thing some people are making...

This is kind of a neat idea, if it were a much more interesting game/setting. And I'm not someone who would pay 500 dollars for it, but I am someone who would wish I could.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

So to be clear, he never says who the fascists actually are, right? Like, it isn't the evangelicals or the cops or the corporations, it's just some vague Other group of US Nazis?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I looked at that guy's twitter and now I want to hit that man in his stupid face

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

canyoneer posted:

What's that guy's deal? Gamergate scum?

From reading like the first ten posts on his Twitter, he's a "middle of the road" person who think both sides make some good points, which means he's a loving idiot. He posted some bullshit about a black guy who became friends with the KKK grand wizard for some loving reason and how they "learned from each other" and I just need to hit him really hard right in his ugly, stupid face

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

taichara posted:

Until it could at all be done without immediately having the avalanche of the current OSR coming down like a pack of rabid rabid wombats, it's probably better left alone, much as it's a warm feeling to think about. I mean those people have gatekeeping built right into the basic mantra at this point; it feels like it would be holding up a red flag in front of the metaphorical bull and screaming "we're right here".

Give it an extremely woke name they wouldn't want to associate with, like "global inclusive rules" or something.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

What redtext did you get plutonis?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

FordCQC posted:

Yeah you'd probably have to break down "wizard" or "magic-user" in more granular terms, probably with word-building fluff justifying it. Narrow the scope of their available powers, basically.

Someone else mentioned combining this with the ability to roll to see if your actions succeed when you run out of tokens or points and I like this too, but have there ever been any good systems where casting spells requires rolling dice? If there were some that were well designed, were they actually popular? I feel like wizard players always expect their spells to work.

I have the opposite experience. Every time my players cast a spell, they pick up a d20 and get confused if they don't need to roll it. Spellcasting should use the same gameplay structure everything else in D&D does. Roll d20, add modifiers, announce total, DM describes result or calls for damage roll.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It isn't just Strike, Arivia is just constantly loving angry and antagonistic all the loving time. Like, lady, are you ok? Do you need someone to talk to? Have you considered anger management? Nothing in any elfgame merits the kind of rage you bring into these threads.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Could you adapt a specific FR novel, say the Drizzt stuff, without needing to involve Greenwood particularly? Or do you think even his vague association would be enough to torpedo a movie?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I've got a book somewhere around here of a bunch of dungeons for just that. It was put out to promote the dungeon tiles and presents them as "mini-dungeons" but it's a bunch of "2 encounters then a boss"-style delves where each encounter has their own feel and things to make it interesting. Nothing is just 4 orcs in a room, it's things like an ancient tomb where the guardians know the timing of the traps and try to push players in the way, so they have to either figure it out (by for example watching where the enemies avoid and working out the pattern) or get to the mechanism to disable it or just power through. Not everything is a big elaborate boss monster, but there's a lot of using monsters that play off each other and what else is in the room to make things interesting and memorable. Of course, that does still mean it's based around time-consuming encounters, but at least going through them isn't boring.

If you can find the title of that, I'd love to see it. The game I run is a bi-weekly short session game that's usually two or three encounters that I try to make interesting with gimmicks and fun monsters to fight. Instead of big sprawling dungeons, we do small dungeons with a few rooms. I'd love to have a resource for a few more of those when I don't want to design everything from scratch.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Bedlamdan posted:

Oh, okay. I think people got a little confused after they saw him posting on the OPP forums and were like “wait wasn’t this dude fired?”

It makes a bit more sense if he just resigned, which I guess puts everyone in kind of a weird place. But yeah, I mean, as long as the dude isn’t working there then there’s not much else that can be done.

He could be banned from those forums, for being a rapist.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Bedlamdan posted:

Just shut down the 5E and Pathfinder threads, replace them with a dedicated Zak Smith megathread, and anyone who still wants to talk about D&D in TYOOL 2019 can just leave to reddit or rpg.net or whatever.

Not to side with MonsterEnvy, but the threads here are mostly good and I don't want to go to reddit.

Mearls should get ousted and Zak should be utterly disavowed and removed from the credits of the game. These things have been true for a while though.

Hey, are companies still paying shills to embed themselves in social networks and forums to sell games? I wonder if MonsterEnvy is one of those. That would explain a lot.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Bosushi! posted:

Holden has acknowledged that he believes the women and that his friend was absolutely in the wrong, and I believe he’s sincere in that.

I have to give side eye at his vendetta with OPP though. The shade he throws at the new Exalted development team, implying that it was so much better under his direction (while ignoring the charge that he knew what Morke was up to while he was developer) and the attempts to discredit one of Morke’s victims who is a current OPP freelancer are pretty poor taste.

There’s a lot of barbs and accusations being thrown from him and Olivia Hill towards OPP and vice versa, and I’m not quite sure how to make sense of it all, but I do know Holden’s actions in particular in this matter leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't understand the exact people and their actions against Olivia Hill, or how they tie to OPP. I would like to know more about this, and who specifically did what, because I find the situation very muddy. I like OPP's games but if they are shitlords in some fashion I would like to understand why and who specifically so that I can stop giving them money.

Holden has no credibility so his beef with OPP is irrelevant to me.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

EDIT: This joke was in poor taste and I changed my mind and removed it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I requested a refund for a Marion Zimmer Bradley collection from Amazon when it came out what a monster she was and I got back a very supportive email from whoever handled it. That was nice.

What did she do? I'm not particularly a fan or anything, but I'm starting to feel like I need a wiki or something to keep track of who's a terrible person and why.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It's a shame they're not completely adapting Kingmaker, I would have actually bought that. It's more work than I'd care to do to get the original AP and cross reference it constantly with a bestiary and the 5e DMG, let alone converting everything mechanical that isn't a monster or magic item myself.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

theironjef posted:

I dunno, something else. It'll be nice to not think about D&D anymore.

Have you done the white cover OD&D? I can't remember. It's a really interesting read, though, from a historical perspective.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Bakshi's art is just so drat ugly

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

For $200 a year Monte Cook will mail you newspaper clippings, an assortment of matchbooks from defunct restaurants, polaroids of strangers and bespoke red string from the home of a conspiracy theorist that vanished mysteriously. The box itself smells vaguely of farts.

Ok but if it was from Greg Stolze I'd probably buy it

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I was actually a little surprised he hadn't made a fuss about "his side of the story", and assumed he was doing the appropriate thing and loving off forever. I'm sure he'd be welcome in chud gaming circles.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Desiden posted:

Hell, "SJW" itself was originally a leftist term, to describe the kind of clicktivist who talked a tough game online, but was conspicuously absent from anything that meant leaving their comfy chair.

I've always kind of liked SJW. Like, yes you are right I will fight for that.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Carados posted:

Combining these two topics, has China Mieville ever made a statement about Zak S, considering they wrote a book together?

Wait, what? They did what?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'll chime in to say that I went to that thread looking for cat piss and got boring game recaps and was sorely disappointed.

Reading recaps of someone else's RPG is like listening to someone tell you about the dream they had.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

quote:

I have been also accused here of being Anti-Semitic. The answer to this is more complex because it addresses both Race and Religion. As for Race, I have and keep friends who are Jewish; as I stated, we are All Children of God, but I am not a Zionist, nor do I believe they are any better than anyone else. I have worked for Jewish Causes several times, and donate yearly to MDA, which benefits Ashkenazim Jews. As for the religious aspect, I do not believe in Judaeo-Christianity.
As I said, I am a Traditional Christian, therefore I embrace one or the other. My views do not come from studying the Scriptures from Hebrew, but from the original Aramaic. I do not believe Christ was a Jew, but I do not expect
others to hold that opinion. I suggest they study the Books of Moses in Aramaic, as it was the language of Christ, and would give them a different perspective. I will always oppose things which to me seem anti-Christian, but I have friends of many faiths, and Love them all as brothers. I do not try to change them.

This paragraph here is loving wild

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

My personal white guy take on the Mercer thing is that playing a character in an RPG, even while streaming, is a lot different than voice or regular acting. A big part of RPGs is playing characters that differ from yourself. There's probably a cutoff where when a streamed RPG is popular enough you need to start worrying about who you cast, but I don't get the feeling the thing Mercer was doing was all that popular.

Basically he should've stayed on the streamed game and should've refused Yakuza

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

When I was a teenager reading about GNS on Usenet, my thinking was that D&D, being a tactical miniature game, was Gamist. World of Darkness, being for dramatic goth nerds, was Narrativist. GURPS, having a rule, skill, and sourcebook for every concept imaginable, was Simulationist. None of this was ever relevant and I don't know why I bothered thinking about it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

If nothing else, it's a good template for apologizing for these things. This is all intensely stupid though.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Freddie Mercury went out of his way to tell me that he didn't like Star Wars.

He got over it

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

There is no non-problematic historical (or hell, modern) real-world setting, is there?

I think if you go back far enough and are historically accurate, it's at least better. Like, ancient Rome was pretty barbaric by modern standards but most of the social issues we face now weren't even a thing back then.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Maybe the protagonists are aware of the future and know that all their efforts are doomed to result in modern America, that's pretty depressing

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

There's also a distinction between laying down and pretending to be a regular skeleton and turning into a pile of unconnected bones.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I was listening to the Adventure Zone (I like it, shut up) and their next two games are going to be a short game in Urban Shadows and then Blades in the Dark, which is cool because I thought they'd probably just chase the D&D audience from here on out.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

The Hadozee really shouldn't be in there. They're incredibly boring stacked up against robots, slimes, bugs, gun hippos, and elves but better. Ok the elves are kinda boring too, but people love elves. People do not love Hadozee.

That said of the 10 or so people I've made Spelljammer characters with the only one who made a Hadozee is black and I'm very much not, so I'm just going to glare at WotC from a distance and not bring it up in either of my groups.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

The Hadozee in the new book were probably written by oblivious white nerds on a deadline crunch, just like the originals. Nobody gave even an instant's thought to any social issues they were bringing up, which is the problem. The entire thought process was "Bring back stuff from 2e Spelljammer" and "lol Planet of the Apes reference." They desperately needed a sensitivity reader, or if they had one they needed a more cynical one. I am skeptical though that anyone would leap immediately to "the smart apes conducted a mass bestiality rape campaign" as an interpretation of that line of they weren't already primed to read the worst into the text.

I'm also pretty sure that the writer was not a scheming white supremacist pervert trying to dog whistle to other white supremacist perverts. Just kind of a dumbass working under fine and financial pressure, like every other RPG writer.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

By default Foundry doesn't do anything, at least in 5e. You can install mods that add varying levels of automation, but frankly it breaks as often as it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I think a lot of this is fallout from this restructuring along with the WotC branch being so lucrative in it's profit margins and the natural drive to push that harder.

The fact that their division is now "Wizards and Digital" tells you everything you need to know here. It's all about making that sweet microtransaction money.